Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

So damn sad

39 posts in this topic

This decision is about 10 years too soon. There needs to be real and viable commercial space systems before this decision can be made. We spend billions upon billions on killing and blowing things up, yet we can't spend a little money on good will that excites the whole world.

:palm::thumbsdown::facepalm:

>>"NASA has always been a political football. Its lifeblood is money, and it has been losing blood for several decades. The only hope now for a life-saving transfusion to stop the hemorrhaging is Congress."<<

'Hemorrhaging' = bleeding. Giving a transfusion while bleeding is ongoing & unchecked is largely pointless.

>>"After 50 years and several hundred billion dollars, the accomplishments of NASA and the U.S. space program in science, technology and exploration are unchallenged. They are admired, respected and envied by people and countries around the world. Our space program has provided inspiration to the human spirit for young and old alike. It said proudly to the world that Americans could accomplish whatever they set their minds to. Young people have always been inspired with talk of sending explorers to the planets."<<

In no way are these bolded things unimportant or insignificant... but recognize that they are all emotional responses...... emotional responses that cost "several hundred billions".

Is space travel cool? YES! Is it massively expensive meanwhile being completely elective? YES!

Simply put: I have no problem with a space program, even without widespread, demostratable benefits to everyday Joe, PROVIDED there's money for it. Right now, funding emtional responses should not be high on the list of things to spend money on that we don't have.

American astronauts will not travel into space on American-developed and -built spacecraft until at least 2016 or 2017.

So you'll have to bum a ride for the next few years. Is it such a big deal to let pride take a back seat for such a short while?

So to those who support fully funding NASA, is the idea we allow Darwin to take care of those on earth who are sick and without healthcare while we go off searching for new life elsewhere?

So to those who support fully funding NASA, is the idea we allow Darwin to take care of those on earth who are sick and without healthcare while we go off searching for new life elsewhere?

I think NASA and Health Care are in the same category when it comes to what the government cares about. They pretend like they do, but they really don't.

I think NASA and Health Care are in the same category when it comes to what the government cares about. They pretend like they do, but they really don't.

Without NASA, a lot of very important technologies would never have come about. The military had better care about the NASA's funding (especially if the aliens visit ;-) ).

Without NASA, a lot of very important technologies would never have come about. The military had better care about the NASA's funding (especially if the aliens visit ;-) ).

Velcro?

As much of a supporter of science and technology I am, I've long thought of NASA as a big money pit...billions have poured in over the decades, but how useful have been the results?

I'd rather see money spent on things helpful to human life here on earth..cancer and disease research, univeral broadband infrastructure, alternative energy development, high speed rail, etc.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

As much of a supporter of science and technology I am, I've long thought of NASA as a big money pit...billions have poured in over the decades, but how useful have been the results?

NASA has had boondoggles, sure... but their budget is nowhere the big money pit as most US budgets draws.

I'd rather see money spent on things helpful to human life here on earth..cancer and disease research, univeral broadband infrastructure, alternative energy development, high speed rail, etc.

Oh, Utopia... well, thats not coming. There no money in curing cancer permanently. No money in making people live longer. Watch Idiocracy and view our future. Its about keeping the masses poor, dumb, unarmed and dependant.

At least NASA provides a distant hope of getting some people off this rock, where a newfound freedom will be found.

Oh, Utopia... well, thats not coming. There no money in curing cancer permanently. No money in making people live longer. Watch Idiocracy and view our future. Its about keeping the masses poor, dumb, unarmed and dependant.

<cynical>

Sad but true. Got to keep the masses fat, dumb and happy with the high fructose corn syrup and other chemically engineered garbage (fast food, soft drinks, etc) that corrupt companies like Monsanto push...keep the masses in their f*cking boring Toyotas driving to their soul-destroying corporate jobs, helping to keep the corrupt system going.

Curing cancer or other major diseases would not be profitable for the corrupt insurance companies, pharma companies, hospitals.

</cynical>

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Velcro?

If you believe that those things are important, then you should support NASA as that's where the tech for such things comes from.

-NASA's budget is less than 1% of our overall budget.

-The rate of return on our investment comes in at $7 for every $1 spent.

-The technology you use everyday stems directly from NASA programs.

-The administration is proposing to actually spend more money on NASA while at the same time gutting their autonomy and ousourcing to private firms and foreign governments. If that's not stupid, what is?

-The Constellation program (return to the moon) that they plan to kill is already well underway and we have spent over 9 billion on it so far. Really want to toss all of that away?

- And, let's consider the thousands of jobs that will be lost because of this. Do we really want to do that to our best and brightest?

No, this is a mindless, pandering act - Hell, Gingrich has endorsed it!

Think it over folks.

I do agree with Camino in teh sense that while NASA may be a "money pit" what they spend annually is nothing compared to all the money we waste throwing at say, pointless wars, or bailing out big banks.

Web design fail. The text goes off of the reading area and into space.

Don't click the links, just scroll down and read. It's all on that page.

>>"-The rate of return on our investment comes in at $7 for every $1 spent."<<

Wait- a 700% return on space exploration ??? How is this measured, exactly ??

If true, let's fly our budget deficet (sp) to the moon !!!

>>"-The rate of return on our investment comes in at $7 for every $1 spent."<<

Wait- a 700% return on space exploration ??? How is this measured, exactly ??

If true, let's fly our budget deficet (sp) to the moon !!!

NASA holds thousands and thousands of tech patents that industry uses.

How exactly the numbers are figured, I can't answer. But suffice it to say that for half a century NASA has been an ongoing, and successful "stimulus package" all by itself.

Edited by Camino LS6

Looks Looks normal for me. :blink:

That's what happens when one don't check browser compatibility. Yeah I'm referring to the main article you sent.

That's what happens when one don't check browser compatibility. Yeah I'm referring to the main article you sent.

Wait, now I'm confused. Are you talking about the link in my original post, or the one I just posted?

The one I just posted works just fine for me.

After the Columbia disaster, I wrote a little tribute and posted it to a website I frequented at the time. Another poster there was a NASA employee and she printed it out and placed it at the makeshift memorial outside the NASA offfices.

Today she is expecting to lose her job after 13 tears.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room