For those of you who like a good e-fight

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I got into it with a few people in the comments section of this video. For those of you who enjoy a good e-fight some of the nuggets of logic proposed in here are:

"Toyota's problems are due to their partnership with GM"

"I've owned domestics, I had a '77 Nova, an '83 Fierenza, and a used '95 Corsica and they were all junk. GM just builds junk!"

"Toyota wasn't forced to stop production, they did it to stop government action"

"The Corsica was a retooled Celebrity, and the Malibu is a retooled Corsica"

"I had an '87 Corolla with 375k miles on it so that means Toyota builds reliable cars"

"140lbs, i'm 5' 10" and bench 185lbs" <----- In dream land.

Stop making yourself look like a complete fool. In order for you to bench 185. You'd have to weight more than 140 or at least be much shorter than that.. Because of the weight and density of muscle would have to be sufficient enough to push that amount. So this concludes to the fact that I already know you are full of $h! and that you keep trying to pull statements out of your ass.

Sorry man YOU LOOSE!

wat?

Watched this commercial on TV a while back and my friends in the room accused GM of lying. So I pulled up Fueleconomy.gov and showed them that Cobalt vs. Civic, Malibu vs. Accord, Pilot vs. Traverse, Equinox vs. CRV are all better. My friends basically said that they shouldn't advertise on being better but within a 'margin of error'. The logic doesn't even make sense with some people. They said, and I quote, "Honda has better fuel economy than Chevy because the Chevys don't beat the Hondas by a substantial margin". :confused0071:

The perception that GM sucks is going to be hard to break because people have had this ingrained into their minds forever.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Watched this commercial on TV a while back and my friends in the room accused GM of lying. So I pulled up Fueleconomy.gov and showed them that Cobalt vs. Civic, Malibu vs. Accord, Pilot vs. Traverse, Equinox vs. CRV are all better. My friends basically said that they shouldn't advertise on being better but within a 'margin of error'. The logic doesn't even make sense with some people. They said, and I quote, "Honda has better fuel economy than Chevy because the Chevys don't beat the Hondas by a substantial margin". :confused0071:

The perception that GM sucks is going to be hard to break because people have had this ingrained into their minds forever.

So if one CFL team loses to another by one or two points, does the "margin of error" argument still apply?

You should ask your friend that question and see if he still persists in failing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lamar

The perception that GM sucks is going to be hard to break because people are stupid.

Fixed.

I love that guy's logic. Honda gets better mileage than Chevy because Chevy gets better mileage than Honda. (but not by a lot, ok?)

:palm:

Watched this commercial on TV a while back and my friends in the room accused GM of lying. So I pulled up Fueleconomy.gov and showed them that Cobalt vs. Civic, Malibu vs. Accord, Pilot vs. Traverse, Equinox vs. CRV are all better. My friends basically said that they shouldn't advertise on being better but within a 'margin of error'. The logic doesn't even make sense with some people. They said, and I quote, "Honda has better fuel economy than Chevy because the Chevys don't beat the Hondas by a substantial margin". confused0071.gif

True....

I know someone who is just waiting for the Cobalt to blow up....facepalm.gif

Yeah, not seeing that happen anytime soon....

I bet if the Civic beat the Cobalt by 2mpg, it would be because Honda is better or that Chevy builds gas guzzlers.

Anyway, the Cruze will take Chevy well out of the margin of error.

I don't know what it is with some of my friends but they do view me as a shill for Ford and GM and therefore frequently simply dismiss me and refer to me as "out of touch", "misled", "old as Eisenhower" etc, but every once in a while they say some stupid $h! about the auto industry, the sorta stuff I just ignore and not make any sort of an issue out of but secretly wish I got on tape.

One friend spent like three weeks absolutely castigating GM for closing Oshawa Truck assembly after taking a grant from the federal government (which was intended for the Flex line at Oshawa Car FYI). Said that Toyota would never do that, and inferred that the manufacturing was being moved to China (don't know where he heard that). Said that Honda and Toyota were more "domestic" than GM/Ford/Chrysler and that the Canadian government should have fined GM for what they did. I informed him that the plant was closed because as the result of demand for trucks/SUVs dropping off due to the price of oil and asked him whether a company should be a charity or if it should at least make an attempt to react to market forces. To be fair he and I often have a respectful clash of ideals, since I'm a fiscal conservative Finance major and he's a big idea big government Poli-Sci major.

"The Corsica was a retooled Celebrity, and the Malibu is a retooled Corsica"

While it is my understanding that the 1997-current "malibu" replaced the Corsica, I disagree with the notion that the Corsica was a retooled Celebrity. All of my research has shown that the Celebrity was replaced by the Lumina...thus my issue with the 1995-2007 "monte carlo" and the 2000-present "impala". A sample of that research:

According to the book _Chevrolet: The Complete History_ [copyright 1996 by Publications International LTD], on page 348: "With the new Lumina coupe and sedan effectively replacing their Celebrity counterparts...." And, on page 359: "Taking the place of the aging Celebrity sedan was the Lumina sedan ... a coupe version followed in the fall."

Also, the Lumina shared types (Eurosport), dashboards (flat/horizontal), tail lights (3 square on each side, across the back panel, more or less) and FWD with the Celebrity.....

In addition ... the Monte Carlo was the only one of the cousin names (Buick Regal, Olds Cutlass Supreme, Pontiac Grand Prix) to NOT be slapped on a FWD car IMMEDIATELY after the RWD versions ended in 1987/1988.

*shrugs*

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * my radio show.03/13/10 *

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

While it is my understanding that the 1997-current "malibu" replaced the Corsica, I disagree with the notion that the Corsica was a retooled Celebrity. All of my research has shown that the Celebrity was replaced by the Lumina...thus my issue with the 1995-2007 "monte carlo" and the 2000-present "impala". A sample of that research:

According to the book _Chevrolet: The Complete History_ [copyright 1996 by Publications International LTD], on page 348: "With the new Lumina coupe and sedan effectively replacing their Celebrity counterparts...." And, on page 359: "Taking the place of the aging Celebrity sedan was the Lumina sedan ... a coupe version followed in the fall."

Also, the Lumina shared types (Eurosport), dashboards (flat/horizontal), tail lights (3 square on each side, across the back panel, more or less) and FWD with the Celebrity.....

In addition ... the Monte Carlo was the only one of the cousin names (Buick Regal, Olds Cutlass Supreme, Pontiac Grand Prix) to NOT be slapped on a FWD car IMMEDIATELY after the RWD versions ended in 1987/1988.

*shrugs*

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * my radio show.03/13/10 *

That's funny. I thought I opened the same thread again when I saw this reply. Funny how the exact comment applies to both threads.

That's funny. I thought I opened the same thread again when I saw this reply. Funny how the exact comment applies to both threads.

Yeah, I noticed that...LOL! I wondered who'd be the first to say something about it ;).

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * 07/24/2010 = Chitown #3 *

"Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot where I was" ... Patty Loveless ... 'I Try To Think About Elvis'

*shrugs*

While I agree with you on the succession of names, what the person in the thread is implying is that GM just refreshed the platform and changed the name...... basically that today's Malibu is just a rehash of a 1983 Celebrity.