How Long and How Far

Z-06

Have you gone before you stopped while driving a long trip. No Diapers allowed :P

On my way back to Orlando from Clinton Twp, MI I did it in two pit stops.

Clinton Twp, MI - Morehead, KY

Dist - 406.2 mi

Time - 7 hrs 3 mins (142 miles of pure pushing the car, country driving). This was an overnight stop at my friend's place.

Morehead, KY - Orangeburg, SC

Dist - 458.6 mi

Time - 7 hrs 22 mins (217 miles of country roads)

Orangeburg, SC - Orlando, FL

Dist - 413.3 mi

Time - 5 hrs 58 mins (All interstate)

One thing is for sure, never again!

When I've done road trips, I try and stop every 2 hrs or 100 miles for a bio break, a walk, etc. I like to stop for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I stick to the speed limit or a 5 miles over at most.

My longest day was a drive from Reno, NV to Denver, Co in a rental '04 Impala on I-80 and I-25, about 1100 miles and 16 hrs. Long day.

I usually try and avoid driving more than 8-10 hrs in a day, stop at a motel for the night. I've done the Denver-Phoenix drive many times, about 800 miles...I've done it in one stretch, but usually start out from either end in the late afternoon, drive till it gets dark, stop for the night then all day the 2nd day.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Detroit MI to Pennington NJ. Google maps sez 605 miles. Trip took 8.5 hrs- that's an AVERAGE speed of 71 MPH. We were FLYING... and that included numerous stops to scrape the slush build-up off the headlights. Yes- in the middle of winter, in a messy storm, where maybe 1 out of 15 vehicles WASN'T a tractor-trailer.

Pretty sure there were no bathroom breaks.

Madness.

I'm a long hauler... but when others are with me, I have to make stops for them. I rarely travel by myself long distance, so I'd have to my best non-stop trip was either: 1996... Brigantine, NJ to somewhere in NW Georgia for a drink stop. Time/mileage unknown. Or 1999 from Naples, FL to Miami to roughly Richmond, VA when I had some engine trouble. Again, time/mileage unknown. Both were over 9 hours, IIRC.

Thats why I take overnight shifts on road trips... sleeping passengers don't need to make pitstops.

When I've done road trips, I try and stop every 2 hrs or 100 miles for a bio break, a walk, etc. I like to stop for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

My longest day was a drive from Reno, NV to Denver, Co in a rental '04 Impala on I-80 and I-25, about 1100 miles and 16 hrs. Long day.

I usually try and avoid driving more than 8-10 hrs in a day, stop at a motel for the night. I've done the Denver-Phoenix drive many times, about 800 miles...I've done it in one stretch, but usually start out from either end in the late afternoon, drive till it gets dark, stop for the night then all day the 2nd day.

I am pretty much the same way...although my son and I just completed a 335 mile sports car trip with the MINI Club, the Miata club, and several British sports car clubs...

Longest non stop was from an hour north of Indianapolis to south of Miami, Florida...my old V8, RWD Cutty and lots of caffine!

I will usually never stop unless I need gas, which comes about every 300 miles or so in my car. I'll typically average at least 90 mph on a long trip, so i'm usually driving for now more than a couple hours before I need to stop.

I drove from Laramie, WY to Mena, AR (just over 1000 miles) on Thursday and only stopped in Colby, KS and Wichita

Also drove from Mena to Akron today (just under 1000 miles) and stopped somewhere between Memphis and Nashville, and then again somewhere between Louisville and Cinncinatti.

I try to only stop when I need gas on long trips...get them over as fast as possible

Baltimore, MD to Newport News, VA: 8 hours. Completely due to traffic... otherwise, it's 3 1/2.

I never understood why my friend's mom took 17 North out of Norfolk instead of going west on 64 to Richmond and then getting on 95 until I made the drive myself. 64 around and out of Hampton Roads is horrendous. :wacko:

Longest I've gone was...actually, that drive. Corolla, NC to Laurel, MD. Nine hours behind the wheel of what should've been no more than 4.

I never understood why my friend's mom took 17 North out of Norfolk instead of going west on 64 to Richmond and then getting on 95 until I made the drive myself. 64 around and out of Hampton Roads is horrendous. :wacko:

Longest I've gone was...actually, that drive. Corolla, NC to Laurel, MD. Nine hours behind the wheel of what should've been no more than 4.

We understand each other's pain, then. I'm just glad that I don't live on the Southside... can't imagine having to cross the water and THEN make my way up 64 and 95.

Well between the four of we drove nearly nonstop except for food and some photos all the way from MA to New Orleans, to Tulsa, OK.

I'm not a long haul driver, probably 4-6 hours or so is what I can do before I need a rest of some kind. I lose my concentration after that.

One thing I did years ago that I'll never do again is an alone overnight drive...too dangerous. Left Denver at about 7pm, got into Phoenix about 9am, w/ a few stops. Nearly fell asleep on I-40 in NM.

500ish miles from Chicago to Springfield, MO several years ago in my L200, about 9 hours.

I have every intention of going as non-stop as possible out to Arlington next week. I really dont think there is anything worth stopping to see between here and there.

I haven't taken a road trip in a couple of years..I have 5 long weekend trips planned between now and Labor Day, but all will be 1-2hr flights (plus a 4hr flight), what with how cheap Southwest and US Air are on Phoenix to Denver and Phoenix to Cali cities are...

With the exception of my Route 66 journey last September, I rarely stop during my road trips, except for food, gas and meeting people. During my Route 66 drive, I stopped quite often ... to see the sights and meet the people along the route.

Longest I've gone with few stops ... Elgin IL to Pittsburgh PA ... ~9 hours ... one stop. I've done this multiple times. Other longest drive ... one stop ... Denver CO to Salt Lake CIty UT.

Otherwise ... I generally try to schedule stops every 4-5 hours ... whether it is for food/gas/meeting people ... or just to stop and stretch a bit.

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrekRT=Aug2010 *

MCs.Caprice | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It seemed they'd already forgotten we'd came" ... Toad The Wet Sprocket ... 'Walk On The Ocean'

With the exception of my Route 66 journey last September, I rarely stop during my road trips, except for food, gas and meeting people. During my Route 66 drive, I stopped quite often ... to see the sights and meet the people along the route.

Longest I've gone with few stops ... Elgin IL to Pittsburgh PA ... ~9 hours ... one stop. I've done this multiple times. Other longest drive ... one stop ... Denver CO to Salt Lake CIty UT.

Otherwise ... I generally try to schedule stops every 4-5 hours ... whether it is for food/gas/meeting people ... or just to stop and stretch a bit.

Wow...2hrs or 100 miles is my limit between stops...food, gas, or bathroom. I take some road food along w/ me--Goldfish, jerky, Red Bull, bottled water, Starbucks double shot cans, trail mix, but I like to stop and whenever possible check out local restaurants for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Wow...2hrs or 100 miles is my limit between stops...food, gas, or bathroom.

Two hours ... and I'm just getting started into driving ;). lol

But, I've always been that way ... and probably always will be. I LOVE driving...period ... and I hate stopping. As I noted, the lone exception to that on a vacation is my Route 66 journey last September. I WANTED to stop and see the sights and take pics, etc.

I take some road food along w/ me--Goldfish, jerky, Red Bull, bottled water, Starbucks double shot cans, trail mix, but I like to stop and whenever possible check out local restaurants for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Same here, more or less ;).

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * 07/24/2010=ChitownMeet #3 *

MCs.Caprice | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"If by chance you are ever this way look me up" ... John Anderson ... 'Down in Tennessee'

First day of my trip to Colorado, I made it to East St. Louis, MO from the Eastern Shore of MD. I parked and slept in a rest stop. Looking back and realizing where I was, that was probably not smrt.