Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Saab Aero-X Concept

it's beautiful. I was hoping for some strategic changes in the front end design to advance the Saab theme, but since there aren't really any on the road reflecting this theme yet, it's just been on all the concepts since before Mauer left....

The front end is way over done. The Profile is nice. No real market for it.

The whole car is way "overdone", from the front, to the giant door. I think if GM wants to

find a place in this world for SAAB, it would be with decently priced luxury cars, with safety and that "against the mainstream" look and feel. Yes, this car is strange, but make something like this and a retro SAAB (from the 50's), and you will have SAAB back in the media and the minds of the trendy! SAAB IS NOT DEAD!

I could definately see in what direction they are headed with this car..... I could imagine a production model looking similar but things like the flip up canopy won't make production...... I can definately see this make a replacement 9-5..... it has the familiar high raised rear end like the ol'9000's had. stretch it out a bit, add a second set of doors to make 4 and make a bit wider..... you have yourself a replacement for the 9-5 that has styling queue's from the 9000 and the sonnett....... bonus!!! it offers twin turbo v6 and AWD!!!!

I could definately see in what direction they are headed with this car..... I could imagine a production model looking similar but things like the flip up canopy won't make production...... I can definately see this make a replacement 9-5..... it has the familiar high raised rear end like the ol'9000's had. stretch it out a bit, add a second set of doors to make 4 and make a bit wider..... you have yourself a replacement for the 9-5 that has styling queue's from the 9000 and the sonnett....... bonus!!! it offers twin turbo v6 and AWD!!!!

Now are the people in this thread not liking the canopy from a production cost stand point or from a styling standpoint. Personally, I think if it could be done without blowing the cost of the car out of the respective market, then SAAB would have something special.

Hooray, just what GM needs, another premium 2 seater.  I know it's only a concept, but I'd like to start seeing some great looking 4-doors from GM.

the upcoming REVISED TT looks cool, but I bet this thing would have as much appeal as that if done right.

Saabs biggest needs are new 9-3 and 9-5 and crossover wagon. but at least this sets the tone.

BORN FROM JETS.

It all comes down to SAAB doing something attractive but "out of the box". SAAB COULD tone down a vehicle and sell a modest amount or SAAB could go the path less traveled and bulid a car with a canopy door. RWD, FWD, AWD, those are all features that will attract different buyers, but what will make SAAB the "cool" car to have. I can go out and buy a number of cars that offers AWD, but can I buy a car with a canopy top. Well, the media and Japericans are beating GM to a pulp based on them not being innovative and building cars that people want. Well, I can see a car with a canopy top being inovative but most important a car that people will want to be seen in.................even possibly at sticker. So GM, take a chance on this vehicle, and see where it takes you. This could be a vehicle that goes the way of the Aztec, or it could be

a vehicle that could become the next "Car Of The Year"...................think about it!

I love the canopy top.... its a great idea for ease of entry and very unique in a style aspect. On the other hand, it could present long term problems with seal deterioration, more hinges to lube and worry about.... generaly, more moving parts means more maintenance and expenses for repairs.

Regardless on how afordable GM could make it or how durable, it will still be subject to speculation and doubts from buyers who think long term.

The average rich guy who can afford anything and wants this car wont care, but GM needs volume right?

Like someone else has said, it could become a huge success or a flop, like the aztec.

I relay do like the car though..... just I dont think its the wisest idea just yet. More devellopement needs to be made with Saab first with the 9-5 and 9-3... like others have mentionned and a smaller compact like a 9-1 or something to compete with bmw 1 series and the like...... This car could do it but not in its present configuration. Maintain the same shape and design cues but add more practicality and get rid of a fiew gizmos to make it afordable for the 1 series crowd. Or, like I mentionned earlier, stretch it out, add 2 more doors and make it a 9-5 replacement.

As a concept, this thing is so cool. Anyone catch the altimeter-esque speedo? Love it. In all likelihood it's just a styling mule much like the SS concept was for Chevrolet. I think a production version with normal doors on Zeta lite would be a very nice addition to the Saab lineup.

As a concept, this thing is so cool. Anyone catch the altimeter-esque speedo? Love it. In all likelihood it's just a styling mule much like the SS concept was for Chevrolet. I think a production version with normal doors on Zeta lite would be a very nice addition to the Saab lineup.

if they made a car like that i could see it fetching a $60k price tag, with a nice turboed Inline 6... sounds like a cool car...

This is one of GM's best designs in the last few years along with the Camaro, Sky (production), Curve, G6 (concept) and SS. A production version Aero-X would make a excellent competitor to the Audi TT once it loses the "born from jets" canopy cockpit and gauges.

This is one of GM's best designs in the last few years along with the Camaro, Sky (production), Curve, G6 (concept) and SS. A production version Aero-X would make a excellent competitor to the Audi TT once it loses the "born from jets" canopy cockpit and gauges.

the wrap around front window is what i like most about it... dont take that away...

No, please. NO MORE RWD FOR SAAB! That's just plain wrong.

To me, its a Shelby GR-1, minus the silver paint, plus a canopy system.

Unoriginal, derivative of a dozen other recent sport-concepts and absolutely the wrong direction for a still rudderless Saab.

Evidence that Lutz can be grossly wrong....Saab needs volume product in the crossover segment or a 9-1 type vehicle.

The Sonnet, while moderately cool, is not the resurrection this brand needs....99 would be more like it....

I find it ironic that Saab has abandoned the hatch when everyone is flocking to vehicles which have one!

It's not rwd, it's awd, albeit with a longitudinal engine. It can't really be considered a new Sonnet, nor a Saab Camaro—it's far closer to exotic 2-seat front-engine supercars such as the Ferrari 575 and Aston Martin Vanquish. Note for all those screaming for turbo 3.6, this is a twin-turbo GDI 3.2 with a projected 400 hp (on 100% alcohol). The previous figure given for a maximum output turbo 3.2 was a potential 370 hp (then again GM has done just as much with the old cast-iron 2.0 L turbo).

It's not rwd, it's awd, albeit with a longitudinal engine. It can't really be considered a new Sonnet, nor a Saab Camaro—it's far closer to exotic 2-seat front-engine supercars such as the Ferrari 575 and Aston Martin Vanquish. Note for all those screaming for turbo 3.6, this is a twin-turbo GDI 3.2 with a projected 400 hp (on 100% alcohol). The previous figure given for a maximum output turbo 3.2 was a potential 370 hp (then again GM has done just as much with the old cast-iron 2.0 L turbo).

that sounds like an incredible engine. This would be a great image car for Saab, though GM would need to be careful what exotice features to include and where to price it. I see around 60k as a good range for Saab?