The Plot Thickens....

You might have trouble beleiving this... it's very unexpected & sudden.

you ready?

no seriously, this is earth shattering...

I might be buying a FWD car for myself. No I'm not joking, I'm being 100% serious. Nothing's been finalized but it's a possibility.

So here's the scoop. I've been on waiting impatiently for four days now for the Infiniti deal to go through. Long story short financing a 1997 anything wiht 103K miles is tough with all the complications in our credit in terms of buying a house etc. So in order to lower our interest rate to at least single digits if not like 7% we talked to Marcia's grandmother today abotu her co-signing.

Her response?

To heck with paying interest to some bank, I'll get you a cashier's check for the full amount and you can make the car payments to me... sans interest.

Go Gram. This woman has done so much for us it's hard to describe. She's awsome in every way and this si just icing on top of the cake. Not out of character but stil surprising that she's that generous. It's not like she's got tons of money or anything like that.

So long story short the dealer flat out tells me to keep my STS because he will not give me more than $800 for the car since the windshield is broken & the air shocks/struts are bad. Supposedly this is what a 1997 Cadillac STS with 143,900 miles & in the same shape brings in at the Auction. I think his original $1500 was fair but whatever.

The point is that we're back to sqaure one wiht the STS. We no longer want to invest money in the car & want to stil trade it in.

So I call my buddy Kenny & then my old coworker U& friend Mike who are wholesalers & have told them to look for a cheap 1996 B-body for me. Any B-body. Olds C.C., Caprice, Roadmaster, Fleetwood.... just as long as its a clean B-body about 100K at the very most.

But then Marcia brings up a great point... if we're going to go up in payment why buy another used car?

So here were are five hours later I'm 95% sure that by two weeks form now I'll be driving a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt base coupe in Rally Yellow with a 5-speed.

So there you have it. My insistance on buying RWD lead me to buy a Japanese luxury car which in turn made me guilty about not sticking with GM and therefore I might take one for the team and buy a Cobalt.

I mean FWD gets HUGE negative points from me but that is the olny bad thing I can say about the Cobalt. It gets an "A" in every other category. Styling, interior, quality, value, performance & I can get a great 5-speed manual. What seals the deal is the fact that Chevrolet would get one more new car sale. I would be participating in giving Toyota a big F-you with my wallet. And besides the Cobalt ios the one car in the Chevy lineup that should be FWD... econoboxes with FWD are okay as long as they're well enginered.

The two things I MUST have is a 5-speed & Rally Yellow exterior.

So what do you guys think?

P.S. Did I meantion I'd put a big "Toyota Sucks" sticker on the rear bumper? :D

Obviosusly, you have my blessing to get the Cobalt. I take it you're not getting the Q now? Truth be told, it may be difficult to tell which one rides better.

Welcome to the family :chevy:

The 5/60 warranty... standard CD player, kickass interior & my respect for the Ecotec since I rented an Opel Astra in Slovakia back in 2001 have made me reconsider my anti-FWd stance.

Damn, I was all set to take a photo of the "Fleet" with the Infiniti, Blazer, Camaro, Datsun & Volvo. and make a caption that would say "Panther Fleet: Now 100% RWD"

Kind of like my old one.

Posted Image

...but expect them to say you will have to carry through on your promise of buying a 1959 Buick and a 2009 Camaro....

It's already been discussed. G/F says if I keep the Cobalt four years, the longest I've ever kept ANY car except my '68 Camaro, I can trade it in on a new Camaro.

Boo-Yeah! :metal:

The 1959 Buick purchase I would not trade for a dozen Qs or hundred Cobalts.

FWD isn't at all that bad. My life has always been FWD, and I'm still alive.

Plus since it has a 4-banger and not an 8 like your STS, it should handle much better, if you're concerned about torque steer.

I've been in a Cobalt, but it was just too small for me. Otherwise my ma would have forced me to buy one. Very solid car and very well designed.

Or you know what, if you really don't like to keep it, lease it. By the time it ends, you're up for a Camaro.

Edited by ToniCipriani

go for the extar couple of thousand and get an SS S/C they start at 21,000 is it? well i can get one for 18,000 with the GM discount but Congrats! You'll wonder were you were with out FWD once the next snow comes. l

In the parking lot of the local shopping center doing doughnuts with his Datsun! That's where! :dance:

I forgot that 68 isnt normal or drives SANE. So then i guess he will be bored then. But if he becomes normal he will realize that there is so much traction to gain.

Man... you know what I think.

I mean... I HAVE a freaking Rally Yellow Cobalt Coupe with a Manual...

I have no regrets buying it. I have the LS though, which gave me a few things. The fog lights, even though I don't use them too much, help to finish the front of the car. The rims I like, hubcaps piss me off. The Performance Audio I am REALLY impressed with.

so... GO BANANA! :pbjtime:

Sixty8 = the_yellow_dart_2

One member at a time... I will take over this board... BWAHAHA :thumbsup:

go for the extar couple of thousand and get an SS S/C they start at 21,000 is it? well i can get one for 18,000 with the GM discount but Congrats!

The specific car I've picked out through the dealer inventory Search is $14,140, that puts me at about exactly what I can afford. In reality even that is not a sound financial plan but it's feasable.

You'll wonder were you were with out FWD once the next snow comes. l

You'd think that... the Cobalt will probably not see a lot of snow since I specifically drive RWD cars in snow for the fun factor. I'm really not all talk adn no action when it comes to living the RWD lifestyle year round. Besides.... my Sunbird used to suck in the snow, even with almost brand new tires I had to launch it up my parents driveway at like 45mph to avoid sliding back down the hill. <_<

WMJ nailed it. I am unstable and a little :stupid: in the head. :P

Besides, I still have 4 other RWD cars if you count the Blazer & Volvo Demolition Derby car.

Edited by Sixty8panther

the SS model is not really practical with your family situation.... like you said before, you need 4 doors to get your daughter into the back seat.... besides, the cobalt looks nice and sporty and you cant go wrong with bright (what I like to call competetion) yellow.

I have a hard time believing you can be happy with a Cobalt. I hope you don't rush through this decision. The Q would have been a fine car. For $15K, you may also be able to find a high mileage '02 IS300 with a stick. But yeah, it's a Toyota.

If you're already down to a Cobalt, what about an Aveo?

After driving I do have to say it does have balls for a little car.

You could get a yellow one of those....

Hell, get in in teal. Why not? :P

Unless the Cobalt will be your fun car( like in my plan), it not sure it would be worth the money....

Just sell the STS for cash...and think about it... :)

Oh, and yellow? Why not laser blue? Man, I love that color.... :wub:

too bad you couldn't foot the SS. The SS non S/C Cobalt can be had with four doors...4 doors, almost a neccessity with a little one. But i know that its often stretching just to go new.

But you will enjoy the trouble free operation of the new car, and the peace fo mind that goes with it. And if you treat it good, nothing ought to need to be replaced or anything for about 4 years.

And everything is nice and tight when you drive it. the first 50,000 miles of a car are the best miles of the car.

A couple other thoughts....how about a lower priced Malibu or G6? I know the G6 coupe is only 6 cylinder and the 4 cylinder malibu is not racy. Maybe a lower priced Mal or G6 6 cylinder would be too far of a stretch, but you would like the extra room....right now it may not seem needed, but 2,3,4 years down the road you could be kicking yourself for not getting enough room. I know that neither the G6 or Mal have the manual tranny in cheaper form (which is why I don't have one either) and that goes to show you that GM is dropping the ball by not offering either with a stick. But they do each start at around high 15 to 16 grand, which isn't too far off from where you are now. (hehe, a MAXX SS or GTP G6 would be cool).

Hey, this just goes to show you that a G5 coupe might be an option for you if it were here...REBADGE or not.........

not to bust your bubble.....but if the woman ever steers ya around to any sort of kid wagon, you could get a very base HHR. And, if you do need to go to the dark side, base Chrylser minivans do sell around 15-16 grand which I know are never what one wants. You could always pimp one out.

another thought.....GM certified used cars. Sometimes you can strike it lucky on a one year old GM car for a good price.

i like the Cobalt, its a great car. good luck with your shopping. I wish I had an SS coupe in YELLOW for hauling ass around on weekends. I LOVED my Ion redline test drive and can only imagine the Cobalt being as fun or more. The base Cobalts I drove were great cars too. Good choice.

Edited by regfootball

There is nothing wrong with FWD for normal everyday driving. If driven sanely they are easier to deal with in snow. I know, I have driven RWD.FWD, and now AWD in snow. And have good expeiriences in all formats. I sat in a few Cobalts and was quite impressed by what I saw. And felt.

I think you can only get yellow on the 2 door Cobalt.  With Marcia's back situation, did you want a 2 or 4 door?

Once in a while I get to drive my mom's Cobalt, it drives nicely.

I swear I saw a yellow Cobalt sedan on a carrier before. Probably it's an SS though.

Guys, I know it's my own fault for writing a novel but you didn't read my original post. We 're still getting the Q45. As a matter of fact we OWN the Q. Last night we handed over a cashier's check for $7495 thanks to Marcia's Grandmother. WE'll be making payments to her. She's awsome, always a lifesaver. When she foud out our interest rate was going to be about 10% she told us to just have her buy it out-right and we can make payments to her. Must be some of that good Karma comming our way.

The Infiniti is being safety checked & the oil is being changed as we speak. We're picking it up around noon, but legaly Marcia already owns the car outright. :)

CadillacKing3:

Since Marica has a fantastic four door now I'm free to get a coupe for myself. I'm only buying a Cobalt if it's a coupe. It'll be the car for solo trips or just myself while the Q will be for family trips &/or Marcia.

The 2 door Cobalt has great looks. The mini-1961 Bubbletop Impala Look is very appealing to me wiht the swooping c-pillar and roud tail lights. THe sedan lacks these elements and it looks frumpy to my eyes.

bobo:

I don;'t begrudge you for owning a Lexus IS300, I think they're fantastic cars btu I could not bring myself to buy a new Toyota. Besides I'll be keeping my Maxima for a fun RWD car... and that has an inline-six and IRS.

daves87rs:

You have to rememebr buddy before the Maxima my last daily diver was a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. I'm not ready to go that small. [/spoiled brat] :P

empowah:

Way ahead of you on the Mini. But just like the Cobalt SS, it's out of my price range. I'm still keeping a few otehr vehicles and not ready to trim down the fleet to nothing just to afford ONE economy car. The Mini is a great car but if I was to get one I'd want the S anyway and that is way out of my price range I do however love the "English Panther Black Leather" interior on the Mini Cooper. Too bad Marcia HATES the styling.

Now as far as Ford goes the only new one I'd consider would be from a local dealer that has some loophle where you can drive away with a black base fleet car with the spotlight on mounted on the A-piller and body side molding delete on the dirver's door. Nudge-nudge, :wink: :wink:

Already priced it out, not going to happen. :(

regfootball:

You have some great ideas but I've got my heart set on the super-cheap and very appealing Cobalt Coupe. The reason I will not look at certified pre-owned is because a new car is much easier to finance at a good rate, and if I'm buying almost new might as well pony up and give GM a new car sale. Make no mistake about it, if the Camaro concept was not a reality I would not be supporting Chevy wiht a new car purchase. They came through and did the right thing and now, I might thank them wiht one new car sale.

2005 EquinoxLS:

I'm not kidding when I say I will go out of my way to drive RWD in the snow. I'm not abotu convention and to me kicking out the tail of a rwd car and taking a corner like a pro while the rear wheels are spinning in 3" of snow is like the adutl version of Disneyworld. Esp. when some timid Soccer mom is having trouble getting around in her Sienna. I'm damn near an expert in driving a RWD in horrible snow, but I have over the ten years I've had my lisence smartend up and gotten better about good tires. I used ot get stuck once in a blue moon but it was usually cause I was driving across some iced over cow-path in 2 feet of snow in a Firebird with 3-bald tires. Litteraly.

Ocnblu:

As long as she has the Q and can drive that anywhere, anytime she doesn't care if I get a Vette so long as the payment is realistic once we get a house. If I could afford $21,000 after taxes I'd be ordering a Solstice.

Camino LS6:

Seriously ponders paking a black 1986 Maserati BiTurbo next to a Infiniti Q45 in my mental garage.... Wow, that would be super cool. Only thing is you can't atke my STS in trade which is a MUST so I can erradicate that payment, and I would not be able to finance anything older than 1996, or like 1994 at the VERY oldest.

ToniCipriani:

No matter, the sedan is not my cup of tea.

I was just kidding,68. Maseratis aren't meant to be daily drivers. :AH-HA_wink:

I wasn't kidding. I'm a mental basket-case and I'd just keep the Maserati off the roads inthe winter. (still have the truck & Datsun for that) It would be pretty sweet to drive that to an Import show and say:

You think this is a weird car, you sould see my Datsun "Four-Door-Sports-Car" :ohyeah:

So the Q was going to replace the STS but now you're getting the Q with straight cash and planning on replacing the STS with a Cobalt (another FWD car)...

Admit it Sixty8, you're a closet FWD guy. :ph34r:

Seriously though, the Cobalt sounds like a solid choice and I imagine it would be somewhat refreshing to own a brand-new car as opposed to another used one.

Hey, you'll have a 100% RWD driveway someday. 8)

Hey, you'll have a 100% RWD driveway someday. 8)

The Colbalt, if I get it will be replaced only when I can afford a 5th gen. Camaro. Even if it is just a V6, I will buy one & drive the wheels off of it wiht all four windows down even in the wintertime. :P

And yes, you're right. I think after getting tens-of-thousands of miles for pennies on the dollar in 1987 F.B. d'Elegance Cadillacs & 1983 Firebirds it's going to be nice to ahve a modern car, nevermind a brand new one wiht a warranty.

Drumroll Please:

Posted Image

& now I officially present the newest addition to the fleet. A 1997 Infiniti Q45. This was about two minutes before Marica drove away in the Q with me behind her in the Datsun. What a caravan. :wub: :wink:

At the time of delivery the car had 103,779miles.

Posted Image

On the way home I got real thirsty so we decided to Hijack a Coors Light truck... Sofia drove the Datsun home & I had drove the truck into the Merrimac River after we emptied out the beer into my basement. :wink:

Edited by Sixty8panther

Well, I'm joking abotu the Beer Truck it's just the photo seemed to write the caption when I downloaded it. Kind of a funny Juxtaposition.

Anyway just gave XP a ride in the Q. We had to go to Stop&Shop real as soon as Marcia got back from her Grandmothers. We needed stuff... real bad. Like ummm... cookies and a Balloon for Sofia... yeah taht's it.

Yes of couorse we just went for a joyride, it was fun. I love this car. SO much more upscale than the old STS, and no I'm not knocking Cadillac just it's FWD, high hard-milage & super low roofline.

Unlike the Rib-wich guy I do not have-a-de Buyer's remorse. :spin:

Thanks guys... :CG_all:

GM1: Shhh... don't tell the RMV. I had to put blocks on the pedals so Sofia sould use the clutch. Ocnblu is right too... this thing is kind of Mafioso in a way. I told XP today that I can't imagine a Japanese guy driving it in Tokyo, the thing really is like the Roadmonster of the Nissan line. Perhaps the "Q" stands for Queen Mary.

Empowah: I'm going to remove the dealer sticker once it warms up and I can make the glue tacky with a heat gun. Then I'll geet a mini one of these magnets to balance out the Q45 logo:

Posted Image

I don't want to look like a total un-patriotic Snob. Esp. when young men & women are over seas fighting hard for us and thousansds have already died. :unitedstates:

PS: Tony is too fat go anywhere except the food dish these days. :P

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Holy mother of Coincedance, Batman! :yikes::D

Empowah: I'm going to remove the dealer sticker once it warms up and I can make the glue tacky with a heat gun. Then I'll geet a mini one of these magnets to balance out the Q45 logo:

Posted Image

I don't want to look like a total un-patriotic Snob. Esp. when young men & women are over seas fighting hard for us and thousansds have already died.  :unitedstates:

Nah... you need this:

Posted Image

:lol:

Actaully who makes the Trans. in the Infiniti... I need to find that out. I know RR BMW & a lot of other luxury manufacturers used to buy GM trans for their big cars.

My Datsun's got the GM power steering pump right from the factory perhaps there's something GM in this Q that I could justify a GM emblem. :P

Still on the fence about selling out and getting a FWD car and payment to boot. But everytime I see this thing it grows on me a little more.

What to do, what to do? :scratchchin:

Posted Image

Oh God....

Even our cats look alike! :lol:

Posted Image

:hijacked:  :dance:

That's a cute cat...and I'm a dog person.

Pantho, how about snagging a deal on an entry level 'Bu - they have good room for all of you and they shouldn't be THAT much more than a Cobalt. I've rented them and they ride and track fairly well (except for the electric steering that many of you dog...I didn't think it was THAT bad).

trinacriabob:

It's sound advice but the car just does not appeal to me as muhc as a Cobalt. The styling I mean. FWD is to me, THE biggest compromise I can make in a car purchase, even more so than a Automatic because I can deal with a RWD automatic car. But I figure if I'm getting a FWD car might as well make it a great looking Coupe or something else as far away from convention as possible.

The Malibu is a great family car and I've recomended it to a few people recently but for myself I'm just not feeling it. Too pedestrian.

If the Cobalt does not price out the way I want I'll go check out a used SRT-4... if I can get one for the same payment as a new Cobalt then I'll buy the Turbo-Neon. I've wanted one of those ever since a mildly souped up one almost kept up with my Camaro at the track.

Now I just have to make sure the Neon/SRT-4 crash tests are not horrible.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Now I just have to make sure the Neon/SRT-4 crash tests are not horrible.

In side impacts, it's the worst car the IIHS has ever tested... :(

Posted Image

It did badly in the offset crash as well:

Posted Image

Edited by empowah

panther, who's the blonde in that cobalt photo? OUCH! :idhitit:

by the way, that's a nice p*ssy you've got there. Looks like a nice one to snuggle up to. It bet that one feels good when it rubs up against you.

:deadhorse::pokeowned::pbjtime:

hey, imagine how nice it would be to have a black on black Malibu SS as an option with the new 260hp ecotec turbo and 6 speed manual for around 20 grand?

coablt SS is a VERY NICE car.

Edited by regfootball

Reg:

You're a nutcase. :CG_all:

Empowah:

I could give a :censored: less about myself but if this car does &#036;h&#33;ty in side impacts then it's a resounding NO for Sofia's sake. Too bad... I love the SRT4. Thanks for doign my homework for me. :P

Besides... I'm all hot & horny over the Cobalt. 5-speed

Anyway. Moving right along here's a weird story for you. Last night when I went to go buckle in the Sofia's baby seat in the back of the Q45 I noticed someone had tucked in the center belt & buckle into the base of the seat. I was out there for like 7 minutes trying to find, grab hold of and pull out the belt. When I finally did a small wallet size leather puch popped out. I was bewildered... this thing was WAYYY back there and whoever lost it probably could not find it since the seat belt was in the way.

Anyway it contained a badge, ID card, and several other personal cards in there. This person... We'll call her "Michelle" cause I don't want to reveal her real identity (that would be $hitty) is a pretty important person in the state of New York. SHe lives on Long Island and she owened the Infiniti from 2000 to just about 6-weeks ago when she traded it for a G35 sedan.

She's pretty darn cute by my standards & it turn out her 17 year old daughter learned ot drive on the Q. Anyway, I tracked her down through the official channels, she was THRILLED to get her stuff back and I was happy to know that (get ready for this!!!) her Husband is a Cadillac man. Crazy? How about the fact that the Q shared a driveway with her Husband's STS.

What a small world. I mailed all her stuff to her in a Priority Mail envelope and about 20 minutes later my mail came wiht the title to the Q. I had spent some time looking up "Michelle's" number and there it was on the title and transfer documents. :duh:

D'oh! You live and learn.

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

The proportions on this car are so damn close to perfection it's scary. I think this angle is the most flattering to the second gen. Q45. Once again I have to thank Variance for jarring my memory about how much I've admired these Luxo-barges.

Posted Image

Kind of like a Jaguar XJS, I always loved the styling but never thought about actually buying one. Except unlike the Jaguar the Infiniti has Cadillac-level quality and reliability.

Posted Image

The place of Honor in the Driveway. Not saying muhc I guess since both my Blazers and the Datsun used to occupy this space when the STS did not. ^_^

The proportions on this car are so damn close to perfection it's scary. I think this angle is the most flattering to the second gen. Q45. Once again I have to thank Variance for jarring my memory about how much I've admired these Luxo-barges.

Posted ImageThe place of Honor in the Driveway. Not saying muhc I guess since both my Blazers and the Datsun used to occupy this space when the STS did not.  ^_^

Heh, this picture is kind of funny especially with what you typed after it. It's almost like the STS is sitting in a corner all pissed. :lol:

You guys are too funny. :P

I guess with three Chevrolets (including an angry Blazer), two Cadillacs, one 1970s Oldsmobile & the already provoked Volvo in the driveway the two Datsuns are very much out numbered. Still, my fleet is well behaved. They all know I love them. Just don't anyone tell that poor 269,000 mile Corsica that it's taking a one way trip to Holland's Auto Salvage soon. :(

Variance: You might enjoy this panoramic photo of the fleet.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...?showtopic=6509

I joked around wiht the Girlfirend about converting it to a "Nissan President" but that was justfor laughs.... a stand up hood ornament you say? Hmm.... tempting.

What market is the Cima from? That &#036;h&#33; JDM, yo?! :P

Mostly Japan, but I've seen other markets as well.

I have something against the Infiniti badge, so don't mind me. I've always thought if I'm ever to get a G35, I'm going to debadge it and put Skyline badges back on. I find it looking so much better with the Nissan badge. Maybe because Infiniti (and Acura and Lexus as a matter of fact) is rather pretentious.