CAW Approves Camaro Changes

Posted Image CAW Approves Camaro Changes

Plant rules will enable Canadian factories to build Zetas, including Camaro.

Members of Canadian Auto Workers Local 222 in Oshawa, Ont., have approved a series of work rule changes that could lead to General Motors announcing soon that it plans to move ahead with plans to build a new Chevrolet Camaro.

The Camaro was one of the big favorites of journalists and car buffs at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. GM's executives have promised they will decide quickly if they will turn the concept Camaro into a production car before end of the decade.

With the feasibility study still in the works, GM negotiators recently settled in for eleven days of intense negotiations with CAW representatives from the Oshawa assembly complex where GM now has three assembly plants. CAW officials have said that the negotiations are a prelude to a decision on actually building the Camaro.

Late last week, the workers at Oshawa voted in favor of what CAW officials described as a cost-saving agreement demanded by GM. The production members of CAW Local 222 voted 74 percent to support the proposal, while skilled trades voted 70 percent. With the union's acceptance of GM's demands, GM Canada management should now be in a position to make its pitch for future product allocation from Detroit, said Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222.

"Some very difficult decisions have been made, not only by the union leadership, but by our members as well. Without a doubt, this has been a very emotional event."

The changes will not affect the wages, benefits, pensions, or time off the job for CAW members. However, union officials said that the agreement does make room for as many as 2500 CAW members, nearing retirement age, to leave the GM payroll early.

The changes in the agreement are designed to make the Oshawa facility more competitive in the global market. The complex currently has about 11,000 employees who staff three different assembly plants and other units.

GM said last November that one of the assembly plants in Oshawa will close in 2008 as part of cost-cutting initiatives. Targeted for shutdown is the Oshawa No. 2 plant, which currently builds the Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick LaCrosse/Allure. The No. 1 plant is set to lose assembly of its Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Impala models in 2009 and would pick up the rear-wheel-drive Camaro along with other models under the proposal approved by the CAW. The Monte Carlo and Impala would likely become all-wheel drive.

The CAW says turning Oshawa's two car factories into one flexible assembly plant that can produce different vehicles would better position GM Canada to secure as much as $701 million in new investment from General Motors.

"We were fortunate in Oshawa to have had the opportunity to work on securing our futures," Buckley said. "There are a number of GM facilities in North America which will not, and will unfortunately close, putting thousands of working people on the unemployment line. Our members in the vehicle assembly plants and in the parts suppliers deserve a secure future. CAW members at GM have done their part; it's now time for General Motors to step up to the plate," said Buckley, who said the Oshawa complex now had a good shot a winning the Camaro work.

In the complicated internal politics of GM product allocation decisions, the CAW maintains it has first claim on the Camaro because the last Camaro had been built at an old GM assembly plant in Ste. Therese, Quebec, that had been staffed by CAW members.

Despite the likelihood of a smaller work force at Oshawa, the union said it did not want to flirt with the chance of GM opting to close both car plants and losing about 5600 jobs. There is also a truck assembly plant at Oshawa.

"Nobody wants to be having this vote, so in that regard there is not a lot of good feeling," said CAW spokesman Peter Kennedy.

Other potential changes that were rejected by the union during contract negotiations last September include outsourcing janitorial staff and getting rid of an in-house construction crew, opening the door for outside contractors to come into the complex, the CAW said.

Link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...175.A10137.html

1) Let's hope this inspires both GM management and the UAW to take a constructive approach to the US contract negotiations.

2) The Monte Carlo and Impala going AWD? I'm guessing the decisions regarding the W and G bodies replacement haven't been made yet.

The Monte Carlo and Impala would likely become all-wheel drive.

thats uh... different... not so sure AWD would work for either of these... sure its better than FWD but... monte enthusiasts such as myself have been waiting for a RWD monte for a long time... i hope this is a miscommunication... bcuz there was another topic sumplace that said sumthin about RWD montes and impalas... so im gunna hope for that until i hear official word

As Northstar stated, the AWD comment could hint at RWD becoming standard.

GM wouldn't switch it's number-one selling car to rear-drive without providing AWD as an option for snow states.

aaahhh now that makes sense... yeah it would probably be a bad idea to not offer an AWD impala if RWD is standard

If it was up to me I'd make RWD standard... SS models opt. and AWD option available in SS or non-SS/LTZ/LS.

(take a look at the Infiniti M35/M35X/M45) THAT's waht it should be except with a small and large disp. V8 available across the board.

Edited by Sixty8panther

The deal in Canada looks like a similar to the deal struck with the UAW in Lordstown for the Cobalt. They were offered a deal with reduced staff and maintained wages and GM would award the Cobalt to the plant.

Too bad GM does not have the time to do this at the other plans to get the UAW to cust labor cost or lose their new car lines.

There was some grumbling at Lordstown but it did not last long as UAW strongly supported the deal.

Not sure if it is AWD coming or not. It may be up to if GM can price it well and if competitor sales are still good.

Anyone know if Chryslers AWD models are they selling well yet?

With traction control and stablility control RWD is not as big of a problem in snow states as regular RWD used to be. It is also must cheaper than AWD.

I could see AWD on a Buick or Pontiac but could they price a Chevy to still be a value leader?

Edited by hyperv6

As Northstar stated, the AWD comment could hint at RWD becoming standard. 

GM wouldn't switch it's number-one selling car to rear-drive without providing AWD as an option for snow states.

are you sure? GM has done dumber things......

yet if this car is built in CANADA it would make sense to make the hometown car winter friendly. :deadhorse:

Edited by regfootball

The deal in Canada looks like a similar to the deal struck with the UAW in Lordstown for the Cobalt.  They were offered a deal with reduced staff and maintained wages and GM would award the Cobalt to the plant.

Too bad GM does not have the time to do this at the other plans to get the UAW to cust labor cost or lose their new car lines. 

There was some grumbling at Lordstown but it did not last long as UAW strongly supported the deal.

Not sure if it is AWD coming or not. It may be up to if GM can price it well and if competitor sales are still good.

Anyone know if Chryslers AWD models are they selling well yet?

With traction control and stablility control RWD is not as big of a problem in snow states as regular RWD used to be. It is also must cheaper than AWD.

I could see AWD on a Buick or Pontiac but could they price a Chevy to still be a value leader?

Why not AWD Chevys? Ford offers AWD in the Five Hundred... not sure if Dodge offers it on the Charger or Magnum, but if GM they have the hardware for the new platform, might as well offer it in a Chevy as well... AWD would broaden the appeal and maybe help keep FWD fans from straying...

Edited by moltar

Why not AWD Chevys?  Ford offers AWD in the Five Hundred...  not sure if Dodge offers it on the Charger or Magnum, but if GM they have the hardware for the new platform, might as well offer it in a Chevy as well...  AWD would broaden the appeal and maybe help keep FWD fans from straying...

Not against it at all, just can they price theirs with the 500? Just the other options would make it cheaper

it doesnt sound silly to me...

many people want fwd... and many people want rwd... and those people live on opposite sides of the country... for winter conditions people dont want rwd... but many people in those winter conditions would prefer awd over fwd anyway...

so allowing awd to be an option totally fixes the problem... with traction control & stablitrac (wich my car doesnt have, but doesnt really need... stablitrac is traction with a roll over sensor) i've never had a problem in the rain here in Los Angeles on my 02 trans am... where as on my 94 firebird I got myself facing traffic a few times...

What is an M35?

Posted Image

Posted Image

As long as the AWD is just an option, and the RWD is the basis for a lot of things...I'm good :AH-HA_wink:

Well, as long as the styling doesn't turn out pathetic (talking about things other than the Camaro here).

it doesnt sound silly to me...

many people want fwd... and many people want rwd... and those people live on opposite sides of the country... for winter conditions people dont want rwd... but many people in those winter conditions would prefer awd over fwd anyway...

so allowing awd to be an option totally fixes the problem... with traction control & stablitrac (wich my car doesnt have, but doesnt really need... stablitrac is traction with a roll over sensor) i've never had a problem in the rain here in Los Angeles on my 02 trans am... where as on my 94 firebird I got myself facing traffic a few times...

That's a good argument. BUT, strangely enough, as proven by the 300/Magnum/Charger, the cars themselves were SO hot, some of those people who originally had thought they'd never buy a RWD car for whatever reason completely forgot about it...and just bought one anyway. Of course, some did run into some winter issues, but still love the cars so much, they could care less. Then again, as soon as the AWD models of those cars came out, even that small issue was fixed for a lot of people.

Make a RWD car that's outstanding in every way, and it won't matter. Make a half-baked one with no AWD option, and you'll have some issues...

I, myself, would take a RWD vehicle ANY day over FWD, and that's with me having several snow/ice days a year. Just a personal preference, and one that I've gotten used to and enjoy.