I Might Need a Psychiatrist...

Cory Wolfe

I have a mental disorder. I buy cars compulsively, especially after spotting a good deal. It's essentially a crime not to buy if it's a good deal, right? Riiiight?! :P

My current two vehicles fall under that category. The Golf was a $500 investment to get back into the VW fold. I had the Cobalt at the time and had no real reason to buy it... but I did. This process was duplicated with the CRX. I had no intention of buying anything, but I came across the listing after a few hard luck instances with the Golf. I didn't think twice before picking it up. Now, I have 2 vehicles and you would think I could be satisfied... but no. I still find myself wanting random vehicles I come across and, of course, I can't stop myself from looking in the first place. To apply some logic to all this, I suppose the reasoning points to wanting something nicer. I love both of my vehicles, but they have drawbacks. The CRX is probably the most fun to drive vehicle I've had and certainly the most fuel efficient. It's all business... Manual steering, precise gearbox, heavy clutch, stiff suspension, no computers to alter your experience; all in a light, tidy package. It works great as long as you don't want to be comfortable, avoid any bumps, and currently don't have a sore shoulder (unfortunately, I pulled a muscle and therefore do). The Golf is the basis for which my enthusiasm lives upon. The Volkswagen MKIII's are what I know, thanks in part to having tore both my Golf, and my Jetta before it, down to their basic body shell. The biggest problem with it is that it has some issues I can't amend myself. It's previous owner left it in less than stellar shape and I've spent my time trying to reverse that. I call it an 'investment', after all. In the end, I can choose between two small, basic FWD vehicles that each serve a slightly different purpose. I'm starting to want a bit more variety, perhaps.

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

I need help... I am forever doomed.

This thing came out of no where, I swear. Never wanted one, never thought about one, completely forgot they ever existed... Until now. I found it to be just the most intriguing SUV with a surprising amount of technology in it. And, thanks to depreciation... It's selling for a hair under $4k.

108k. Yes, it's essentially an ancient Rodeo underneath with the engine and drivetrain from the also ancient Trooper.

To be honest, if the history report checks out and all the required service has been taken care of, I'm not terribly sure how I'll say 'no'. For the price, it's alot of vehicle and in great shape.

the front lower bumper never i liked in that style and I don't think white is its best color, but nonetheless for 4k that is a really nice vehicle.

Yes, strange front end--looks like car sized headlight clusters and tiny grille w/ a giant bumper.

I have a mental disorder. I buy cars compulsively, especially after spotting a good deal. It's essentially a crime not to buy if it's a good deal, right? Riiiight?! :P

I need help... I am forever doomed.

I am forever doomed, too, as I want to add a number of vehicles to my family yet. ALMOST pulled the trigger on a sweet '89 Caprice Classic, but haven't ... at least ... not yet.

*sighs*

I'm ALWAYS looking for cars for sale ... not sure why. But, I am. I don't think it is that much of a problem, though...LOL!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"When we stand together, it's our finest hour" ... The Judds ... 'Love Can Build A Bridge'

Somehow I've been content to stick w/ one daily driver for 10 years..actually have fewer cars now than I had then. Lack of garage space restrains me, I guess.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

You'd buy a reasonable, reliable car instead of, oh, I don't know, a fifteen year old muscle car with a million problems?

You'd make a cheap shot instead of, oh, I don't know, saying this to my face.

You know by now I don't care. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Another note: if you're going to consider weird ass Isuzus, hunt down a VehiCross.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2084672846.html

Found one. But it's in Pittsburgh, which I'm not sure BV would want to drive that far.

I am forever doomed, too, as I want to add a number of vehicles to my family yet. ALMOST pulled the trigger on a sweet '89 Caprice Classic, but haven't ... at least ... not yet.

*sighs*

I'm ALWAYS looking for cars for sale ... not sure why. But, I am. I don't think it is that much of a problem, though...LOL!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"When we stand together, it's our finest hour" ... The Judds ... 'Love Can Build A Bridge'

You did get the 1989 Caprice? My suggestion is to bite now. You dont see many here anymore. I am not going to part with mine for that very reason. Good luck my friend.

Penis.

So, back to the STS. What all should I look for to determine if it would be a worthwhile purchase? It doesn't have Magnaride, so I don't have to worry about that specific expense. Anything beyond headgasket issues for the Northstar? The oil wasn't milky and it seemed to run and drive pretty good. I assume there's going to be a good number of parts shared with the G-Bodies?

Penis.

So, back to the STS. What all should I look for to determine if it would be a worthwhile purchase? It doesn't have Magnaride, so I don't have to worry about that specific expense. Anything beyond headgasket issues for the Northstar? The oil wasn't milky and it seemed to run and drive pretty good. I assume there's going to be a good number of parts shared with the G-Bodies?

Powertrain wise, it's identical to the Deville and Eldorado and similar to the Aurora.

Brakes are unique to Cadillac.

Other than that you're into body and interior which are both model specific.

Check the quality of the coolant using some test strips. That'll give you a better idea about the true health of the cooling system. Keep it in fresh oil and as scheduled coolant changes, and the engine will out last the body.

Meh, I'd rather not. Those are pursuing a different mission. Wouldn't mind an Aurora or Bonneville, though.

The Bonne fits in as with the others in terms of dependability.

The 2G Aurora is basically same difference to the Cadillacs in terms of the $ to fix factor if you have the V8, the V6 is okay but still some electrical gremlins.

Though, is the supercharged 3800 that much better than either the Shortstar or Northstar?

In terms of durability?

Significantly.

Especially so when they've been previously owned by people take the initiative to change their supercharger oil but even if not, they're significantly better. There's the added benefit of cheaper parts as well.

JD Power and MSN autos paint a fairly good picture of the Seville, reliability wise. Car Survey gives a little more insight into problems with most people having a whole lot of problems or hardly any at all. The biggest constants being reoccurring vibration issues and oil usage. There was some mention of a transmission solenoid, as well. This puts me in an either-or sort of mindset. I really enjoyed the car from my test drive and its a great deal at $4k after tax and tags. I need to take an extended test drive to really feel it out, though. In the meantime, I need to get a carfax for it. Also, I could really stand to have someone look over it who knows more about these cars than I do.

How many of you guys think it's a worthwhile purchase?

On another note, I found this on Ebay: Clicky. Seems as if that price is in addition to the down payment mentioned, which puts it in the 'more than I'd want to spend on a compulsive purchase' category. :P

This is also this one on Autotrader: Clicky that Dodgefan will like. What I don't like, though, is that the engine was replaced and I'd rather not go through a Private owner. It's also essentially in the same category as above.

Edited by blackviper8891

Are you sure those shocks aren't expensive? They may not be magnaride, but we had customers on the edge abandon their Cadillacs earlier than this STS because of the cost of replacing the shocks.

My biggest concern for you on this is cost of repairs, other than that, it is a handsome car.

Though, is the supercharged 3800 that much better than either the Shortstar or Northstar?

In terms of durability... a S/C3800 will out live a Northstar easily... but then a S/C 3800 will outlive just about anything other than a Ford I6 from the F-150. Just give it it's proper oil changes and change the supercharger oil on schedule (every 50k I think) and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't recommend the Shortstar (the V6) simply because parts are rare. It was only ever installed in two vehicles. Other than that, it's a fine engine.

The S/C 3800 will simply cost less to keep on the road than a Northstar. 5 quart oil changes of dino oil instead of 8 quart oil changes of synthetic can really add up.

It's not that the Northstar is bad... it just needs the proper attention paid to stay good.

Meh, I'd rather not. Those are pursuing a different mission. Wouldn't mind an Aurora or Bonneville, though.

Don't dismiss the LSS so off hand. In the final years, it was really just an Aurora lite. You can find them loaded up nice with a super charger and I bet it would surprise you.

Oh, one other thing I forgot.

When you get the vibration in the STS, you can't just take it for a normal balance. As with all of the G-bodies, going clear back to the 1993 Riviera, you need to have a Road Force Variation balance done. A normal spin balance doesn't tend to fix balance issues on these cars.

It's a more expensive procedure, but you don't need it as often and the car will ride like glass when it's done.

Are you sure those shocks aren't expensive? They may not be magnaride, but we had customers on the edge abandon their Cadillacs earlier than this STS because of the cost of replacing the shocks.

My biggest concern for you on this is cost of repairs, other than that, it is a handsome car.

They're probably still expensive, though I'd imagine the Magneride shocks would still be twice the cost. They use these in Ferrari's and Audi's in addition to the late-model STS's and Corvettes.

In terms of durability... a S/C3800 will out live a Northstar easily... but then a S/C 3800 will outlive just about anything other than a Ford I6 from the F-150. Just give it it's proper oil changes and change the supercharger oil on schedule (every 50k I think) and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't recommend the Shortstar (the V6) simply because parts are rare. It was only ever installed in two vehicles. Other than that, it's a fine engine.

The S/C 3800 will simply cost less to keep on the road than a Northstar. 5 quart oil changes of dino oil instead of 8 quart oil changes of synthetic can really add up.

It's not that the Northstar is bad... it just needs the proper attention paid to stay good.

Don't dismiss the LSS so off hand. In the final years, it was really just an Aurora lite. You can find them loaded up nice with a super charger and I bet it would surprise you.

I don't mind giving the extra attention, I'm just trying to find out if it's not going to be lost cause. I don't want to give all that extra attention aaaannnnd have everything fail on me.

I like the LSS, but I'm looking at newer vehicles. It's built upon the previous generation bodystyle and is a little dated. I like the newer designs of the final Bonneville, Aurora, and Seville, in addition to other newer designs like the 300M. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the final Grand Prix's design as much, but the Series-III Supercharged 3800 along with the Comp-G package is appealing. It's probably the only W-Body I'd consider.

• 2 weeks later...

You did get the 1989 Caprice? My suggestion is to bite now. You dont see many here anymore. I am not going to part with mine for that very reason. Good luck my friend.

Sadly, no.

It was at a dealership and, of course, they were asking a "premium" price. I know I can get virtually the same car for less via private party.

I did find out the dealership still had it, made another offer ... but ... over this past weekend, the car was stolen off the dealer's lot. *rolls eyes*

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 04.16.2011_DwightILmeet

"These times I've spent, I've realized" __ EMF __ 'Unbelievable'