Jerps

Blake Noble

A friend has one with the 3.7L V6 and he loves it. Rock solid reliability. Come to think of it, every Jeep I've ever known has been ridiculously tough to kill. They'll rot, they'll leak, but they'll run forever.

I can't say anything bad about the Liberty, but when it comes to Jeeps, I am immediately biased towards the Wrangler. Can't hurt to take a Liberty (or Grand Cherokee if you can find one that fits the budget) for a spin and see how it fits.

I'd love a Wrangler, but they're very expensive. For example, an '07 Unlimited X with some sixty-odd thousand miles will set me back about $17k.

Right now, the Liberty makes sense: affordable, reliable, capable, not exactly a total pig on gas, decent looking, and four-wheel drive.

Haven't heard anything bad about them. I knew someone with a CRD and he loved it. Jeeps a tough vehicles. They can take a real beating and keep on going. Wranglers, even used, tend to be expensive. They hold their value well, which is why most lifted Jeeps around here are Cherokees and first gen Grand Cherokees.

Well, durability certainly is an upside on these. My sister has about 125k on hers now, and it still is going strong.

My objections were in three areas.

1) The Liberty felt really unstable at highway speeds, the handling was very twitchy. It felt quite top-heavy and constant correction of the steering wheel was required.

2) The brakes were weak and slow to respond.

3) The driver's position felt cramped.

None of my complaints are enough to damn the Liberty, but I was always glad to get out from behind the wheel.

Well, durability certainly is an upside on these. My sister has about 125k on hers now, and it still is going strong.

1) The Liberty felt really unstable at highway speeds, the handling was very twitchy. It felt quite top-heavy and constant correction of the steering wheel was required.

None of my complaints are enough to damn the Liberty, but I was always glad to get out from behind the wheel.

My sister had an '04 Liberty for 3 years...I drove a few times, incl. a couple road trips from Phoenix to San Diego and back..I basically had the same objections as Camino did..

Also, I didn't like the lack of vertical adjustment for the seat (it was a base model w/ manual seats), and felt that the windshield/was too vertical and close...maybe it's just that I'm used to the steeper windshield rake and deeper dash in my Grand Cherokee and more seat adjustability. but overall, it felt solid and was reliable.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Camino's first point is something I'm going to pay some attention to. Other than that, two and three I'm not terribly worried about at the moment.

For the record, I will not be trading the Camaro to this should I get one. If, for some reason, I lose my job, I'll still have a car to drive so it's really best that I keep it. As for the loan, should this happen, I'll figure out something. I've thought out some of various scenearios in my head a bit and there's a solution.

My aunt traded in her 1998 Volvo V70 XC Wagon for a Liberty and immediately hated how unstable it was... In short order she ended trading it in and going with an 06 Fusion SEL.

The Jeep is a vehicle that is made for off-road driving. There is going to be a difference in on-road handling with this type of vehicle. It is nothing unfamiliar or dangerous to the seasoned Jeep owner. It's a Jeep Thing, either you understand or you don't.

The Jeep is a vehicle that is made for off-road driving. There is going to be a difference in on-road handling with this type of vehicle. It is nothing unfamiliar or dangerous to the seasoned Jeep owner. It's a Jeep Thing, either you understand or you don't.

I've been drivng 4x4 vehicles all my life, and the Liberty felt more unstable than what I'm used to in those vehicles. I'm not comparing them to cars or "soft-roaders".

It may be a Jeep thing, but it isn't a good thing.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2pqPm8BWR4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2pqPm8BWR4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2pqPm8BWR4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I've been drivng 4x4 vehicles all my life, and the Liberty felt more unstable than what I'm used to in those vehicles. I'm not comparing them to cars or "soft-roaders".

It may be a Jeep thing, but it isn't a good thing.

A vehicle with a 4x4 badge and something actually designed to go off roading are two different things though. Try driving a truck that's has a 3" lift and 30" tires and see how stable it is.

With that all said, I'm sure there could have been room for improvement, something new new Liberty probably addressed.

Lifts and big tires don't come into play here. I've driven 4x4s of all types and vintages - some are really unstable and I'm not accusing the Liberty of that.

However, my mother's Liberty (new at the time) was far less stable than any other 4x4 from this decade that I have spent time driving. It wasn't a '54 Willys (yeah, I've driven one), but it didn't measure up in highway stability.

That's all I'm saying, B-K will have to drive it for himself and decide if he can live with it.

Well, the lot was closed for New Year's Day, so no go.

I'm off Thursday and Friday and I have a very strong suspicion that the Camaro will be gone by the end of the month so I won't be keeping it in any capacity. Criticize me all you want, but that car asked for its last dime from me today.

I'm off Thursday and Friday and I have a very strong suspicion that the Camaro will be gone by the end of the month so I won't be keeping it in any capacity. Criticize me all you want, but that car asked for its last dime from me today.

post-51-0-92450100-1294077768.gif

• Agree 1

2vi5eyt.gif

really..... interesting..... go on.....

Interesting.gif

and before you get upset at anyone for harassing you... I want to point out:

Criticize me all you want,

You did give us permission.

:roflmao:

I gave you guys permission because to come in this thread and see such ... colorful comments just brightens my day. :P

Oh, and I have no clue 100 percent what's going on with the Camaro. Hauling ass back and forth to Lexington 5 days a week is enough to keep my mind off of it. All I know is the clutch pedal has lost pressure again and seems to be constantly engaged. It's at Jack Burford Chevy right now, after calling the A to the 3rd to haul it's immobile carcass up there.

So, as far as a replacement goes, it's tough to say. I did find a '99 Formula with 80,000 on the clock, but I'm just going to resist temptation. As much as I've preached against such a car in my younger years, I'd seriously like a 3-door Astra if I could find one. The five-door I wrote up ages ago was a pretty cool car, handled great, was peppy enough, and looked handsome (the three-door, though, is quite sexy).

How about one of these? Based on a 3dr Astra (of 25 years ago)..and with Excitement!!

p28.jpg

My, my, how could I forget such a quality vehicle from the EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! division? This one was also built below the Peninsula, so there might be a chance I could get randomly shot at by a man with a duck's ass in platform shoes. Damn, Pontiac sure knew how to maintain it's rep because what will get the adrenaline flowing better than driving around in a state of constant paranoia?

96802041990217-480.jpg

It's not white.

One problem: the 2012 Malibu isn't out yet.

Have you considered an '80s Land Rover? Top Year declared it the "most reliable car in the world"

Top Gear, f@#king phone

You know how Top Gear's advice works; whatever Clarkson says, you're supposed to do the opposite of.

Did a light bulb blow out?

Funny you should mention that ...

It is an interesting car, Camino. I did drive it after I found it and it's a great car. No issues that I could find and I was really going over it with a fine-toothed comb.

But after having so-so luck with this last F-Body car ... well, I just don't know.

2vi5eyt.gif

Love the soundtrack.

Seriously. I spent five minutes figuring out the title track one night after I had first watched it.

The Camaro's clutch had up and died and I'll be $800 poorer. Luckily, I should recover most of that money with my tax returns.

The Liberty was a bit disappointing, by the way. It wasn't too uncomfortable, but the stability tends to be a touch bi-polar. Perhaps the fact the one I drove needed an alignment had a lot to do with that. I'm also going to go the extra mile to be picky and say I'd rather have the Renegade model with the upgraded front fascia should I buy one.