Number Of Vehicles In Junkyards Increase

Number Of Vehicles In Junkyards Increase

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

March 13, 2011

post-10485-0-69421000-1300047924.png

With car sales on the rise, the number of vehicles being scrapped is increasing. According to Experian Automotive, a firm that tracks sales and registration of vehicles says the amount of vehicles being scrapped increased during the fourth quarter of 2010. The number of passenger vehicles scrapped went up by 28.3% while the number of trucks and SUV's scrapped went up to an astounding 58.2%. To put this in focus, last year's scrappage rate was 5.3% for passenger cars and and 3.5% for trucks. Also, the numbers dwarf the amount of vehicles scrapped during Cash for Clunkers in 2009.

Source: The Detroit Bureau

I don't see anything there that's 25 years old. Please point it out for me.

There's a white Celica or Supra from '82-85 in the middle of the pic, next to an Accord that could be 25 years old.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Shoot, I thought that white Honda product was a first-gen Integra. Maybe I need new glasses. The silver Celica is the only thing I see that's that old.

Could be..the Integra and the 3rd gen Accord both had pop-up headlights..the grille chrome trim marks it as an Accord, I think.. The red Corolla wagon on the far right is late '80s also.

Red Corolla wagon is marked as an '89, not quite to the quarter century mark. And who's to say how long these gems have been interred?

EDIT: yup balthy, seems obvious to me the numbers are model year ID for parts snatchers.

Edited by ocnblu

It's just one picture in one section of one junkyard.

I've been to yards that had late model vehicles from C4C, I've seen cars that still started up and moved (a red 80's Fleetwood comes to mind, very sad), and of course there' yards like the one near me which has all kinds of classic metal rusting away towards the back.

Could be..the Integra and the 3rd gen Accord both had pop-up headlights..the grille chrome trim marks it as an Accord, I think.. The red Corolla wagon on the far right is late '80s also.

I thought the red car was a Camry Wagon..

Could be..thought it was a Corolla All-Trac wagon

if only that number would increase..... the number of wrecks rolling around me is astonishing. Missing headlights, missing bumpers, doors smashed in, windows missing.

I saw a beat up G6 rolling down the highway the other day missing the entire front right fender..... HOW DO COPS ALLOW THIS?!?

Edited by Potluck

Oh look, a Neon and a bunch of Japanese junk.

Junk that lasted 25 years on the road.

+1

I remember turning the key & almost starting up a Bicentennial '76 Impala coupe- white with red/blue pinstripes, in a junkyard.

That would be cool...to even start it up and save it's life, as it were...oh well...

if only that number would increase..... the number of wrecks rolling around me is astonishing. Missing headlights, missing bumpers, doors smashed in, windows missing.

I saw a beat up G6 rolling down the highway the other day missing the entire front right fender..... HOW DO COPS ALLOW THIS?!?

I don't know.. I've seen this rolling around

post-10485-0-26432800-1300293875.png

Ugh, I could never drive around in something that bad. My LeSabre Estate, for all its issues, was ay least in one piece. When that chick banged into the Prius and ripped the bumper off I could only manage a couple days before paying for it out of pocket while waiting on State Farm.

Ugh, I could never drive around in something that bad.

I'm sure they don't like driving around in something like that, either. For all you know, some idiot in a SUV backed into the car and took off... and the victim got a parking ticket for being pushed into a bus loading zone, while getting hardly enough pay at work to feed/house their kids. (This happened to a co-worker, actually...)

I guess the poor should just be marched into the Soylent Green factory, eh?

If you don't like what some people are driving, leave them a check for a nicer car.

• Agree 1

We have annual safety inspections in Pennsylvania. Something like that Saturn would not be legal here at inspection time (so the person could theoretically drive it for a while in its unsafe state). I understand some other states have a lot of junk on the road. That Saturn is unsafe for a bunch of reasons.

Edited by ocnblu

We have annual safety inspections in Pennsylvania. Something like that Saturn would not be legal here at inspection time (so the person could theoretically drive it for a while in its unsafe state). I understand some other states have a lot of junk on the road. That Saturn is unsafe for a bunch of reasons.

No inspections in AZ...I've seen cars driving around w/ no hood, no front fenders, no bumper, w/ lights somehow attached sort of the radiator support..there is a 1st gen Taurus and an early 90s T-Bird I see once in a while like that..

I saw a Saturn coupe the other morning with the passenger side rear quarter and door cracked out, the plastic flapping in big chunks...

If you don't like what some people are driving, leave them a check for a nicer car.

I forgot, cars are the only mode of transportation available. Everyone in the entire history of the world has gotten around in a motor car.

Ugh, I could never drive around in something that bad.

I'm sure they don't like driving around in something like that, either. For all you know, some idiot in a SUV backed into the car and took off... and the victim got a parking ticket for being pushed into a bus loading zone, while getting hardly enough pay at work to feed/house their kids. (This happened to a co-worker, actually...)

Some cars just aren't safe to keep on the road. I've seen a Crown Vic on the road down in Miami that had not a single exterior light installed. That is simply not road worthy. I don't care if you're poor, if your car is in that bad of condition, take a bus or have a friend pick you up.

They could ride the bus...

Sorry, buses in some areas just don't work. In the case of my friend, taking the bus required three transfers, with 1 hour layovers. Turned a 25 mile trip into a 6 hour round trip odyssey. Turned a 8 hour work day into 14 hours... that is not a step forward.

In their case, the car was safe... but not obviously so to the layman... and it was ugly as sin.

I forgot, cars are the only mode of transportation available. Everyone in the entire history of the world has gotten around in a motor car.

You know that horses and donkey carts are for all intents outlawed in most suburban areas.

Also, people didn't need to work 25 miles from home years ago. If you lose your transportation, you can't just start farming in suburbia to support yourself.

• Agree 3