Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

No HF 3.6L for the Aura (untrue rumor)

SaturnFans have since pull this story.

AURA Expected to be More Powerful than Competition

According to SaturnFans the Aura will initially be offered in two trim levels: The XE will receive the 230HP 3.5L V6, while the XR will be powered by 275hp 3.9L V6 with to a 6-speed transmission. A 4-cylinder hybrid-electric AURA Green Line version is rumored for 2008.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know that OHC engines are necessarily better than OHV ones but the portion of the general public that knows there is a different favors OHC engines. Not to mention the fact that I thought Saturn wasn't going to be watered-down. So much for brand differentiation. Even Olds used DOHC engines during its time as an import fighter. I was afraid something like this was going to happen when I was the G6 GXP using the 3.9 not 3.6. Also who chose XE and XR as trim designations? I think something more original could have been chosen.

Edited by stickmax

STUPID MOVE GM!!!! (If this is true)

If they strap a HV engine in there, then kiss the Aura goodbye... Besides, why would anyone want to buy an Aura when you can get an IDENTICLE G6 for cheaper... The styling is good, but not that damn good.

Yes it is. I'm a Pontiac fan, but cant get over the styling of the G6. I'll take the Aura anyday, even at a higher price.

Hmm...well, you can't say you didn't see that one coming, at least on some level.

At least reviews of the 3.5L and 3.9L in GM cars have been pretty good so far, but you just know how the whole OHV thing will be played out...though the 6-spd should help a TON.

I guess they are saveing the HFV6's for BUICK + CADDY. 275HP from a N/A 3.9L HVV6 sounds FINE TO ME! Now take the 3.6L HFV6 up to 270HP for BUICK and 300HP for CADDY--WERE IT SHOULD BE TO BE COMPETITIVE--and I would have NO COMPLAINTS!

The six-speed auto and the high output numbers look good, HF or HV or no engine at all. I just hope the styling and interior are not dumbed down. I agree with Stickmax, though, the model designations blow.

SaturnFans has pulled this story and insiders at other boards are saying that its not true. The Aura will still be receiving the HF 3.6L along with the HV 3.5L. It seems the rumor mills have been in overdrive at Saturn the last few months between this, the Sky automatic transmission, and the Outlook stories.

Carguy brings up an interesting point. Which brand should get the HF engines and which shouldn’t? I would rather have the HF 2.8L than the 3.5L however. Given the markets that Saturn is pursuing I think it is more important that Saturn (along with Cadillac and Saab) get the HF engine than Buick. There are Buick customers who would rather stay with the 3800 than move to the HV engines let alone the HF ones.

Edited by stickmax

So now I am admitedly confused. Is this the same 3.6l out of the CTS? You would rather the Aura show up with a 255 hp engine, than move to the 270 hp engine? Or is the Saturn up model going to be available with more power than the CTS or V6 STS? If you have read my posts in the Aura 6 sp forum, you already know I have an issue with some non luxury model getting something new and great before the Cadillacs.

Edited by jrockb4

I will be the first to agree. If people are so hellbent on accountability, you'd expect the walls torched over there too.

But you see, people don't care about accountability. They just care about making my "cocky, unappreciative, attitude" and making me look bad. I present exhibit A (this story by GMI) as proof.

This is really not the proper format for that discussion, guys.

However, I will say this info sounded fishy given all we knew about the HF 3.6 - along with the 6-speed - being the centerpiece of the AURA. This is why the story wasn't featured on C&G until proper confirmation was made.

I will be the first to agree. If people are so hellbent on accountability, you'd expect the walls torched over there too.

But you see, people don't care about accountability. They just care about making my "cocky, unappreciative, attitude" and making me look bad. I present exhibit A (this story by GMI) as proof.

Maybe people wouldn't jump all over you if you treated everyone else with a modicum of respect. Yes, Josh, everyone is just out to get you and you are just the saddest boy in the world innocently getting sucked into all this drama. Make this all about you. :rolleyes: Gimme a break! [/John Stossel]

==================================================

Good to hear that this news is false...I kinda expected it to be anyway. Sounded too fishy and too contrary to "known" fact to be true...

Maybe people wouldn't jump all over you if you treated everyone else with a modicum of respect.  Yes, Josh, everyone is just out to get you and you are just the saddest boy in the world innocently getting sucked into all this drama.  Make this all about you. :rolleyes: Gimme a break! [/John Stossel]

==================================================

Good to hear that this news is false...I kinda expected it to be anyway.  Sounded too fishy and too contrary to "known" fact to be true...

Seems like Evok opened his mouth first.

Maybe people wouldn't jump all over you if you treated everyone else with a modicum of respect.  Yes, Josh, everyone is just out to get you and you are just the saddest boy in the world innocently getting sucked into all this drama.  Make this all about you. :rolleyes: Gimme a break! [/John Stossel]

Again, Croc, this is neither the time nor the place to continue this line of discussion. Frankly, if you're so inclinded, have it with Josh over AIM. Its not needed here anymore. From anyone.

Back to the AURA's engine, it will have a very respectable engine selection.

Wasn't this originally a GMI scoop as I saw it on their website? The faslified information that was leaked, that is.

For the record, I saw it first on CamaroZ28.com which had a link to GMI though SaturnFans.com was reporting it as well and is usually accurate.

Edited by stickmax

Again, Croc, this is neither the time nor the place to continue this line of discussion. Frankly, if you're so inclinded, have it with Josh over AIM. Its not needed here anymore. From anyone.

Back to the AURA's engine, it will have a very respectable engine selection.

I completely agree. Let's 'shelve' this discusion right now!

It looks the the story originated at SaturnFans. A revised version carries this message:

A draft version of this story was mistakenly posted for a few hours in the middle of the night earlier today. It contained some bits of erroneous information that should have not been included in the article. The original story should have never been posted in public view on this site, and I apologize for any confusion that it might have caused.

SaturnFans has pulled this story and insiders at other boards are saying that its not true. The Aura will still be receiving the HF 3.6L along with the HV 3.5L. It seems the rumor mills have been in overdrive at Saturn the last few months between this, the Sky automatic transmission, and the Outlook stories.

Carguy brings up an interesting point. Which brand should get the HF engines and which shouldn’t? I would rather have the HF 2.8L than the 3.5L however. Given the markets that Saturn is pursuing I think it is more important that Saturn (along with Cadillac and Saab) get the HF engine than Buick. There are Buick customers who would rather stay with the 3800 than move to the HV engines let alone the HF ones.

Good points. The SATURN brand should remain DOHC across the line with the base engine in the aura the same 2.4L I4 from the SOLSTICE. And let BUICK use OHV like the LUCERNE should have the (MORE POWERFULL) FWD 5.3 from the IMPALLA SS instead of the NORTHSTAR it uses today. It would be QUICKER and MORE FUEL EFFICENT then it is today. Let CADDY have the NS line to itself. So CHEVY "except I4's" should be OHV 2/3VPC. The same with PONTIAC and BUICK while SATURN/CADDY/SAAB could be DOHC 4VPC. 8)

I guess they are saveing the HFV6's for BUICK + CADDY. 275HP from a N/A 3.9L HVV6 sounds FINE TO ME! Now take the 3.6L HFV6 up to 270HP for BUICK and 300HP for CADDY--WERE IT SHOULD BE TO BE COMPETITIVE--and I would have NO COMPLAINTS!

Let me make a slight correction; though I'm with you 100% in spirit. 290HP for Buick and 310HP for Caddy! Now, instead of being JUST competitive, Buick is firmly competitive and Caddy becomes an HP LEADER! As for the Aura, if it offers the 3.9L V6 at 275 HP, that would be hot. Enough to beat the Camry (and that really does count, folks).

Good points. The SATURN brand should remain DOHC across the line with the base engine in the aura the same 2.4L I4 from the SOLSTICE. And let BUICK use OHV like the LUCERNE should have the (MORE POWERFULL) FWD 5.3 from the IMPALLA SS instead of the NORTHSTAR it uses today. It would be QUICKER and MORE FUEL EFFICENT then it is today. Let CADDY have the NS line to itself. So CHEVY "except I4's" should be OHV 2/3VPC. The same with PONTIAC and BUICK while SATURN/CADDY/SAAB could be DOHC 4VPC. 8)

I totally disagree. In GM's world, Buick is second only to Caddy. And if Buick is truly SERIOUS about being a Lexus alternative, they'll have an all DOHC lineup. Ideally, Caddy, Buick and Saturn should get all DOHC lineups, with varing HP levels. I think Pontiac would do fine with 3.5, 3.9, and 5.3 OHV engines, as well as Chevy. If they're compeitive (HP and mileage wise), they'll be able to offer more bang for the buck. Ideally, Caddy/Buick/Saturn will be able to command a premium and draw very price conscience customers. Note, I said "ideally."

Such a comedian you are!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you..... The Shelf! (aka miniBM)

Need deep hidden secrets from inside GM? Only The Shelf knows and he will reveal only when the time is right (unless the information is wrong, forged, falsified, illegal or GM just asks him not to.)

I'm sorry to ask this as I know it's been answered before--and I'm feeling lazy... when are the pics and details coming out for the production Aura? Like, the official press release and when is the embargo up?

I totally disagree.  In GM's world, Buick is second only to Caddy.  And if Buick is truly SERIOUS about being a Lexus alternative, they'll have an all DOHC lineup. Ideally, Caddy, Buick and Saturn should get all DOHC lineups, with varing HP levels. I think Pontiac would do fine with 3.5, 3.9, and 5.3 OHV engines, as well as Chevy.  If they're compeitive (HP and mileage wise), they'll be able to offer more bang for the buck.  Ideally, Caddy/Buick/Saturn will be able to command a premium and draw very price conscience customers.  Note, I said "ideally."

I see your point about BUICK being close to CADDY and a competitor for LEXUS so they should be DOHC/4VPC. But the NOW UNDERPOWERED 4.6L 275HP NS V8 in the LUCERNE/DTS wont cut it. With 300+HP comeing out of (((V6))) competitors now it seems to me the OHV 5.3 with DOD would have been a better and more fuel efficent choice over the NS V8. If not then they should have at least used the 300HP NS instead of the NOW SAD 275HP one. And dont forget if GM has a RWD INVICTA/ROADMASTER in their future ZETA plans would you not rather them use the (OLD :angry: TECH) OHV LS2 with 400HP over the 320HP so called (HIGH <_< TECH) NS?

I see your point about BUICK being close to CADDY and a competitor for LEXUS so they should be DOHC/4VPC. But the NOW UNDERPOWERED 4.6L 275HP NS V8 in the LUCERNE/DTS wont cut it. With 300+HP comeing out of (((V6))) competitors now it seems to me the OHV 5.3 with DOD would have been a better and more fuel efficent choice over the NS V8. If not then they should have at least used the 300HP NS instead of the NOW SAD 275HP one. And dont forget if GM has a RWD INVICTA/ROADMASTER in their future ZETA plans would you not rather them use the (OLD  :angry:  TECH) OHV LS2 with 400HP over the 320HP so called (HIGH  <_<  TECH) NS?

How do you know they won't have a better V8 out by time the Zeta comes? The Northstar replacement perhaps? :AH-HA_wink:

How do you know they won't have a better V8 out by time the Zeta comes?  The Northstar replacement perhaps?  :AH-HA_wink:

A really powerful and LARGER NS replacement would be needed to deliver the low end torque & HP of the LS2/HEMI lines for BUICK. Maby say a 5.0L DOHC 4VPC 375HP NORTHSTAR-II with at least 370FT,LB of Torque at a LOW RPM by useing a long stroke. And give it DOD and VVT while useing the new 6SP auto trans. Or better yet use the LESS COSTLY/MORE POWERFULL/ALLREADY IN PRODUCTION OHV LS2! Let CADDY/SATURN/SAAB have the DOHC next gen NS V8's and the HFV6's. BUICK could be the WORLDS ONLY OHV luxury car maker useing the BEST OHV ENGINES GM can make in their SMOOTH POWERFULL LINE of ALL AMERICAN LUXURY TOURING CARS! 8)

ALL THE BRANDS SHOULD GET THEM