Oh... So THAT'S Why My...

So much hostility over a tire!

What you see is a tire that committed suicide over the course of a few hours during work. Don't worry... this occurred just last night and was only driven on for the last few deliveries and the drive back home at 35 mph.

You can throw that tire at someone else as far as I'm concerned. :P

That tire didn't go bald in a matter of hours, dude. Don't you check your tread whenever you fill up the gas?? Jeez...

Perhaps you didn't notice... the tread is the least of that tire's problems.

Oh, I noticed; still doesn't matter--had you replaced that tire when it was bald like you should have, you wouldn't have placed yourself in the potentially dangerous situation of it having a structural failure like it did. You're lucky you weren't going fast on afreeway or else you could've lost control pretty easily and gotten really hurt.

Edited by Croc
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Oh, I noticed; still doesn't matter--had you replaced that tire when it was bald like you should have, you wouldn't have placed yourself in the potentially dangerous situation of it having a structural failure like it did. You're lucky you weren't going fast on afreeway or else you could've lost control pretty easily and gotten really hurt.

Right.

So, unfortunately, I'm forced to remove this tire from the rim and, as such, will ruin any potential pleasure I could get from keeping it as a souvenir. Anybody want it? I'm sure it'll make a fantastic tire swing. You could even mount it, inflate it, and stare in awe of its misshapen structure... It still holds air!

Its just typical failure of the internal tire because the trend has been worn so low. Back in a previous life (in the '90s) I used to routinely drive tires down to nearly nothing and saw effects like this all the time. It seems like once you have run the rind down to a certain point, heat builds up faster and bad things happen faster. I always noticed that I would be more prone to flats once the tires where so thin, but I had a few that held air quite miraculously. Used to get a lot of air blisters on the sidewalls at that point, too. Don't see that as much nowadays.

I've been told that driving on the cords can produce an interesting light show at night, as well.

BV, the reason everyone is up in arms is simply that your tires are one of the most important safety features on a car. Driving on tires this bad is almost as bad as driving with no brakes whatsoever... a situation where things can get dangerous for all involved... and most of us should pick up on things like this before they become an issue, since we're enthusiasts and are more in tune with our cars.

But hey, it happens to the best of us.

If you want some chilling paranoia next time when you out there driving next time, visualize the person driving next to you, talking on their cellphone in their mid-90s Camry that hasn't seen maintenance in years... they drive on tires like that until the car stops moving forward... along with long wiped rotors, pads, shocks, suspension...

Right, I understand the premise behind the commentary. This, however, is being blown out of proportion with a mass of assumptions and insinuations that I do not appreciate.

Let me explain the situation to everyone in more clarity. This car, in its entirety, is a temporary means of transportation. The tires on it were also temporary with my good set of tires installed on what was my daily driver. I never switched them around because, honestly, I wasn't expecting to be driving this car for the period of time that I have. Beyond all this is the fact that, regardless of what may be, this car will not see another dime invested into it. I set a spending limit and hit it a while back. I'm to the point where I have nearly twice the car's worth invested and I don't plan on throwing any more money away. There's 2 strikes. For the third, what you see is deceiving. That tire is an anomaly in the set with the other three being not nearly as worn down. It is clear, to me atleast, that this single tire had more going on than what led to this occurrance. The set was equal in tread wear just 5k miles ago and passed inspection a mere 10k miles ago. Still, before I picked up the CRX, I had switched my almost-new set of tires onto the Golf. Which goes back to the first strike of being temporary after the fact. Case closed.

Now, unless everyone wants to join in the simple amazement of the tire's failure and refrain from over-analyzing the theoretical causes... Please, take your banter elsewhere. There's far more in life than just being anal and up everyone's ass all the time. :P

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Right, I understand the premise behind the commentary. This, however, is being blown out of proportion with a mass of assumptions and insinuations that I do not appreciate.

Such as? I mean this "mass of assumptions and insinuations" excludes the clearly observable fact that you drove on tires so bald they weren't road-worthy at all and in turn made your car a 2000-lb. danger to yourself and others on the road, right?

Now, unless everyone wants to join in the simple amazement of the tire's failure just tell me what a special snowflake I am and refrain from over-analyzing the theoretical causes ever giving me any criticism whatsoever... Please, take your banter elsewhere. There's far more in life than just being anal and up everyone's ass caring about anyone else or their well-being all the time. :P

Fixed.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Croc, I know you love having a good stick up your ass, but perhaps you should try removing it for once. I've heard it helps in reducing your propensity to be Captain Dictator.

The other three tires, in all their glory, are below. Look, not really as bald! Sure, they're due for replacement as indicated by the tread wear strips, but I wouldn't say they're dangerous. If you want to rail on me for my negligence in not noticing how worn out the tire this thread is about had become... Sure, I forgot to check to my tires every time I entered and exited the vehicle in true anal fashion. My bad. So please, tell me how much of a fool I am for the dozenth time since you're always right.

IMAG0147.jpgIMAG0150.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1