Jeep Considers Diesels For Their Lineup

Jeep Considers Diesels For Their Lineup

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

April 9, 2011

post-10485-0-88565500-1302361534.png

With the price of gas on the rise, Jeep's management is toying with the idea of offering diesels in the US market again. Their hope is to improve Jeep's fuel economy and to avoid a collapse in SUV sales due to rising gas prices.

“Diesel in some of our models makes absolute sense. But I still have to make sure there is a sufficient marketplace here to make it make sense from a business perspective,” said Mike Manley, Jeep's president and CEO.

Jeep has offered diesels before with the Liberty from 2005-2006 and the Grand Cherokee from 2005-2008. The mostly likely vehicle to get a diesel will be the new Grand Cherokee. Those hoping for a diesel Wrangler will have to keep on dreaming for now.

“When you look at the U.S. market, diesel applications in the larger vehicles probably make more sense then they do in the smaller ones, purely because of the cost of the powertrains and the treatments that are required,” to meet emission standards, Manley said.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Diesels can be amazing. The 50-state Touareg TDI gets the same fuel economy as a 2-liter Buick Regal yet it's quicker, weighs 1200 lbs more, and can tow 7700 lbs. The Touareg is in many ways the Grand Cherokee's closest competitor -- both are unibody SUVs designed for off-roading that are fairly posh but don't have a luxury badge.

Why is that? It's the only real link to the much-loved Cherokee, size and price-wise in the lineup. With a Pentastar V6 and optional diesel, it would be much-improved.

patriot and compass are not real jeeps to me, but as entry tools into the brand I guess I see why Jeep has them.

The Liberty to me while Jeep looking is dated and now half baked. If we compare the refinement and quality aspect of the Liberty and new Grand Cherokee, the Liberty simply doesn't measure up. I'd endorse the Liberty if Jeep gots is $h! together and polished it off.

Yeah on GM's behalf they should have done it years ago and Hummer would still be here as a GMC sub set. The Chevy SUV's would up the CAFE ratings and they wouldn't ever look back. GM sure needs that MiniMax now we're seeing 3.89reg 4.09prem

• 1 month later...

Liberty (remember it's still branded the Cherokee outside NA) definitely needs an update/redesign, but I'd definitely keep it as is RWD/4WD. Compass and Patriot are irrelevant and should go...leave the weak FWD based CUVs to Dodge or Fiat..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'm not convinced the architecture can be saved. There is too much of a handling and performance liability (ever try the brakes in one of these?!) without a major overhaul.

I could see them using a cut-down GC platform for the next one. By architecture I meant RWD/4WD..should have been more specific, I guess..

My sister had a 2wd '04 Liberty...drove it a bit a few years ago, didn't like how unstable it felt in crosswinds and didn't like how close the windshield seemed..