Hyundai Goes 2 For 2: 2 Coupes For 2 Auto Shows

Hyundai Goes 2 For 2: 2 Coupes For 2 Auto Shows

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

June 8, 2011

post-10485-0-67871100-1307586447.png

The auto show season doesn't start for few months, but we're already hearing about possible reveals from automakers. First up is Hyundai with Coupe double.

Inside Line is reporting that Hyundai will be introducing a Elantra coupe at the LA Auto Show in November. The coupe is expected to carry the 1.8L four-cylinder producing 148 horsepower and 131 pound-feet of torque used in the sedan and a turbocharged four-cylinder that will also be used in the Veloster. A six-speed DCT from the Veloster could be used with the the turbo 4. The coupe is expected to have the same amount of equipment as the sedan.

Coupe #2 is a refresh of the Genesis coupe. Inside Line reports that the refreshed coupe will make its premier at the Detroit Auto Show in January. The exterior will be given a once over while the 2.0T four-cylinder and 3.8 V6 will see increases in horsepower and torque.

Source: Inside Line, 2

Makes me think Chevrolet is actively giving all those small, affordable coupe customers DIRECTLY to Hyundai. Not to mention Ford and the late, lamented Pontiac as well (there are plenty of G5s around here that will eventually need replaced).

I see new Elantras EVERYWHERE. I was afraid Hyundai would try to pass off the ugly Veloster as their Elantra coupe, but this bit of info is encouraging for folks who want something simple and sporty enough without giving up practicality.

The Elantra is averaging 3 days on dealer lots before sales. I also have been seeing a lot of them lately. If the Genesis gets the 8-speed and 333 hp V6, that makes it a pretty appealing package. Add in the Volester (which may or may not sell, but I think it will), and Hyundai really does have the cheap coupe segment covered. I bet the Civic coupe is suffering because of it.

Makes me think Chevrolet is actively giving all those small, affordable coupe customers DIRECTLY to Hyundai. Not to mention Ford and the late, lamented Pontiac as well (there are plenty of G5s around here that will eventually need replaced).

I see new Elantras EVERYWHERE. I was afraid Hyundai would try to pass off the ugly Veloster as their Elantra coupe, but this bit of info is encouraging for folks who want something simple and sporty enough without giving up practicality.

where is the cruze coupe...........needed badly........

The Elantra is averaging 3 days on dealer lots before sales. I also have been seeing a lot of them lately. If the Genesis gets the 8-speed and 333 hp V6, that makes it a pretty appealing package. Add in the Volester (which may or may not sell, but I think it will), and Hyundai really does have the cheap coupe segment covered. I bet the Civic coupe is suffering because of it.

Genesis is a great poor man's G37...too bad the Genesis' exterior sucks in that back window and otherwise looks 1997

The car buff magazines tried to compare the Genesis favorably to the Camaro and Mustang and everybody laughed.

Don't get me wrong... I love RWD on the right car, but the looks of the Genesis coupe (especially the front end, for me) just don't cut the mustard.

The Genesis needs an updated interior and front fascia to go along with any performance tweaks. Oh and the motor from the Sonata turbo. That would do it for me. Still would get the Mustang over it though if I was shopping the mainstream RWD sport coupe segment.

Edited by frogger

The car buff magazines tried to compare the Genesis favorably to the Camaro and Mustang and everybody laughed.

Don't get me wrong... I love RWD on the right car, but the looks of the Genesis coupe (especially the front end, for me) just don't cut the mustard.

It simply comes down to not having the V8. I think had they wedged it in there, people would have had not choice but to take the Genesis more seriously. I also think the Genesis coupe should have had a different name from the sedan. The new Camaro would not have ever been taken as seriously if it was called the Impala coupe.

With all the DOHC vs IBC discussion in another thread, I wonder if had Hyundai built a IBC V8, it would have fit in the Genesis coupe. I imagine a LSx powered Genesis would have been taken very seriously by many.

It simply comes down to not having the V8. I think had they wedged it in there, people would have had not choice but to take the Genesis more seriously. I also think the Genesis coupe should have had a different name from the sedan. The new Camaro would not have ever been taken as seriously if it was called the Impala coupe.

With all the DOHC vs IBC discussion in another thread, I wonder if had Hyundai built a IBC V8, it would have fit in the Genesis coupe. I imagine a LSx powered Genesis would have been taken very seriously by many.

True about the V8. If Hyundai put their 5.0 liter V8 in the coupe, it would be more powerful than a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, be lower in weight and likely better gas mileage as well. Hyundai also has 8 gears while Ford and Chevy only 6. The Genesis coupe is smaller than the Mustang and Camaro, it is only about as big as a Cruze, so I would think a turbo V6 would be the best option. The new Hyundai V6 has 333 hp, a turbo could get it to 380-390 easily, that is plenty for a car that size and weight.

Hyundai wants no part of a pushrod, Chevy and Chrysler only still build them because they don't have the money to make something new from scratch.

• Disagree 2

The Genesis coupe gets some important stuff very right, namely being nimble, agile, and overall an engaging car to drive. Which is what really matters. Still I hope they new front end looks better, it's my only real complaint about the car.

I'd agree, the front seems a little off. I like the back end, it looks good form the side too. A revised front end could make that car really good looking. I think they designed that car while they were still mostly in copy cat mode. The Sonata/Elantra/Accent are forming more of an design theme for Hyundai and perhaps taking cues from those cars will help.

That Elantra coupe looks kinda nice, even wearing that refrigerator-color :)

We are now getting the Genesis coupe here in Portugal: 2.0T only, starting at around 40K Euro (base BMW 120d price point, for comparison - ouch!).

EDIT - IDK how the front end compares to the US model's; here's the link to the Portuguese pdf: Hyundai Genesis PDF (PT)

Edited by ZL-1