Check out what I've been driving for the past few days

No rental...

Future police vehicle 8)

Notice the post lights and the factory equipped laptop bracket where the console usually is.

These each have the small Hemi. (5.7L 370hp)

They're very well equipped for police vehicles. The Interceptor Vics I helped build and drive last year were 'stripped' in comparison to these.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

No rental...

Future police vehicle 8)

Notice the post lights and the factory equipped laptop bracket where the console usually is.

They're very well equipped for police vehicles. The Interceptor Vics I helped build and drive last year were 'stripped' in comparison to these.

Hence my question... That's awesome.

No rental...

Future police vehicle 8)

Ahh...I thought it was a V6 rental when I first looked at the pics (small wheels)...then went back and noticed the post light and column shift...

I *might* luck out and get some wheel time in a Caprice.

The guy I contract with (Well I don't really get paid, he's actually just a good friend of mine and I enjoy the work. But to stay legal; I'm contracted) said that most of the agencies around here are opting to go with these instead of the Caprice.

After driving a few of them, a Caprice would be a hard sell to me. I've always been a GM man, but driving the Charger makes me not even want to step foot into a GM showroom anymore.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I *might* luck out and get some wheel time in a Caprice.

The guy I contract with (Well I don't really get paid, he's actually just a good friend of mine and I enjoy the work. But to stay legal; I'm contracted) said that most of the agencies around here are opting to go with these instead of the Caprice.

After driving a few of them, a Caprice would be a hard sell to me. I've always been a GM man, but driving the Charger makes me not even want to step foot into a GM showroom anymore.

Wow, they really think that. They would rather have a Charger than a Caprice? Why is that? How soon will you test drive the Caprice?

Apparently the PA State Police will be going to Tauruses after their stockpile of new Crown Vics are ready for retirement. Something about a "Made in America" clause in state fleet vehicle rules... this, according to someone who should know.

I think the "Made in America" thing is one aspect. But the biggest perceived problem, in my opinion, is parts availability. I say perceived because it isn't really a problem at all.

But these agencies are looking into replacement parts and finding out that GTO and G8 buyers are already having a hard time getting parts (in some cases) and it's scaring them away.

They must have access to replacement parts because these cars 1) are put through hell and 2) it's absolutely unacceptable for the agency to NOT be able to serve the community if needed.

I think Dodge will be the big winner on the Police vehicle front. Ford was dumb for not having a suitable replacement for the Panther. A lot of these departments WILL run their Panthers into the ground (by continuously rebuilding them). Some departments will conform to the Taurus, but a lot of them wont.

GM appears too risky with the Caprice and the Tahoe just isn't logical for most departments.

The idea is to get the most car (size and power) for the money. GM will lose because their only competitive entry will cost too much to maintain if parts become slim. Ford will lose because nobody in their right mind would buy a Taurus over a Charger for this kind of use.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Wow, they really think that. They would rather have a Charger than a Caprice? Why is that? How soon will you test drive the Caprice?

I'm not sure that I will.

It all depends on what help he needs. When he needs me, he basically calls me up a few days in advance. It all depends on what bids he wins (and spending on this sort of thing is no where near what it was before the economy took a crap)

Not to mention; I start my new job in a week so I'll be working days instead of nights.

Maybe I can just drop by the shop one night if he gets any Caprices. I'll keep everyone posted.

Apparently the PA State Police will be going to Tauruses after their stockpile of new Crown Vics are ready for retirement. Something about a "Made in America" clause in state fleet vehicle rules... this, according to someone who should know.

NJ State Police has a similar clause, so I imagine they'll need to go Taurus, as well. Or more trucks. I forgot the Charger was Canadian.

The NJSP have so many bizarre "undercover" cars, I wonder if all of them are "Made in the USA". I always laugh when I see a person pulled over my a champagne minivan.

NJ State Police has a similar clause, so I imagine they'll need to go Taurus, as well. Or more trucks. I forgot the Charger was Canadian.

The NJSP have so many bizarre "undercover" cars, I wonder if all of them are "Made in the USA". I always laugh when I see a person pulled over my a champagne minivan.

Got a lot of odd ones here as well..I've seen unmarked Silverados, F150s, even a black Escalade w/ a hidden strip of police lights..

SCHP has had some tough luck with the shift linkages in the chargers but they mostly use them over the crown vics now. anderson county however has gotten a dozen 2011 vics in this year and so they are probably good for a year or two. my buddy thats a SD told me that outside of the crown vics the tahoes are next in line for purchasing especially for the k9 units. there are talks around the department though of getting a taurus, charger, and caprice eval car for replacements.

PA State Police bring cars in all the time for estimates. Every car has been a Crown Vic, except for one Charger, an evaluation car that hit a deer. Person who told me about the Taurus future said the Chargers were found to be too small.

Wait until the officers try to see out of the Tauruses. They're like a bunker, according to everyone I've spoken to who drives a new one. It's one thing for a private citizen to struggle to see out of a Taurus, but a cop needs to have good visibility all around.

Edited by ocnblu

Wait until the officers try to see out of the Tauruses. They're like a bunker, according to everyone I've spoken to who drives a new one. It's one thing for a private citizen to struggle to see out of a Taurus, but a cop needs to have good visibility all around.[/b]

That's one design feature I dislike on so many new cars..the Taurus side and rear windows are way too small...last year I had one as a rental for 3 days, and depended heavily on the mirrors to see out, even then still had some blind spots. The Grand Marquis rentals I've driven over the years seem much airier, with relatively huge windows..

PA State Police bring cars in all the time for estimates. Every car has been a Crown Vic, except for one Charger, an evaluation car that hit a deer. Person who told me about the Taurus future said the Chargers were found to be too small.

That's a very common complaint. I know Charlotte stuck with Vics because the Charger was "too small"

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Wait until the officers try to see out of the Tauruses. They're like a bunker, according to everyone I've spoken to who drives a new one. It's one thing for a private citizen to struggle to see out of a Taurus, but a cop needs to have good visibility all around.

Just imagine this "bunker" with all this stuff in it. Talk about driving blind. This CHP Cruiser doesn't even have the new Rockwell:

This

post-253-0-66004200-1309190273.jpg

Plus this:

P5160200.jpg

Edit: I don't know why the Tahoe is shunned by so many departments. It really is a good package. Lots of room, they lower it for non 4wd duty, great "footprint" for appearance of Police coverage.

Edit: I don't know why the Tahoe is shunned by so many departments. It really is a good package. Lots of room, they lower it for non 4wd duty, great "footprint" for appearance of Police coverage.

Price, price, performance, mileage, size, etc. A great utility, but a big utility. The lowered versions with 5.3L, etc are classically tough but even more capable.

But versus a sedan, just too much for daily. Lots of them around Philly, but a $35k+ truck vs. a sedan will never work in volume.

City of Phoenix has quite a few of them, along w/ Impalas. Mostly 2wd I think. Maricopa County and the state have Expeditions and F150s in their mix..

Speaking of the price of a new Tahoe, it's fairly ridiculous that the civilian versions have a base MSRP of 37k.

A Vic is only what? About $25k and some change? I know the Chargers are somewhere in that general ballpark, so I'd have to assume that the Vic would be there too. In any case, cost alone is keeping most departments away from Police-spec Tahoes. And if it's true that the new Caprice stickers for as much as the PS Tahoe, well, that's going to doom that program as well.