Regal Estate Wagon

ocnblu

There's a set of spy shots of a Regal wagon floating around the 'net, and it looks good. Not sure if I'm a fan of the "no rear bumper" look, though, as it puts the liftgate right out there, very vulnerable to damage in even a very minor rear end collision... sort of like a current CR-V.

I'd love to see a chop of the white Regal wagon with woodgrain sides and whitewalls, just for old times' sake. Is anyone game?

There's a set of spy shots of a Regal wagon floating around the 'net, and it looks good. Not sure if I'm a fan of the "no rear bumper" look, though, as it puts the liftgate right out there, very vulnerable to damage in even a very minor rear end collision... sort of like a current CR-V.

I'd love to see a chop of the white Regal wagon with woodgrain sides and whitewalls, just for old times' sake. Is anyone game?

I saw a bright red front view (don't know if that is the spy shot) that looks very production-like...yeah, the woodgrain would be cool.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Are the pictures at this link the ones you're referring to: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spied/10q2/2012_buick_regal_wagon-spied/gallery/2012_buick_regal_wagon_photo_54

I like the wagon version of the Regal. My wife was in Madrid, Spain two weeks ago and stopped in an Opel dealership to get me some Opel brochures. I really like the Opel Insignia Tourer (wagon) brochure the best!

Thr rear bumper shape might increase insurance costs in NA, even though the piece between the tail lights and the rear bumer is most likely just a chunk of body colored plastic like the bumper. Hope GM offers the wagon, still.

The last thing we need is the sight of vinyl wood grain. Also the Estate name needs to be kept far away.

Hyper: "Estate" is what all wagons are called over there in The Old World. The name could be shifted to a new connotation over here, calling attention to the car's Euro roots. They don't even know what a station wagon is in Yurp, do they?

This car looks so much better as a wagon, it isn't funny.

That said, while I appreciate Ocn's nostalgic request, I've always hated the fake woodgrain thing.

Did you guys know that an "Estate" version of the El Camino was offered for a breif time?

My uncle had one - it took ugly to new heights.

Edited by Camino LS6

You have no idea how ugly those were in person.

My uncle's was white where this one is that mustard color, had a green viynl top, and "turbine" wheels.

He dyed the top black, and painted it an inoffensive tan color. It helped... a little.

This one model is the low point of El Camino history.

The last thing we need is the sight of vinyl wood grain. Also the Estate name needs to be kept far away.

Hyper: "Estate" is what all wagons are called over there in The Old World. The name could be shifted to a new connotation over here, calling attention to the car's Euro roots. They don't even know what a station wagon is in Yurp, do they?

I know how the term Estate was used over there. It does not bring images of Country English Estates or hand built bodies to Americans. Americans relate better to western terms like King Ranch or Silverado.

If anything the return of the wagon will sit well with the demo derby guys. Fade the paint and paint a skull on it and it would right at home at the county fair. They will need something to replace the Crown Vic once they dry up. They would have to love the unibody and FWD. They could back up all night with the rear missing. LOL!

You have no idea how ugly those were in person.

My uncle's was white where this one is that mustard color, had a green viynl top, and "turbine" wheels.

He dyed the top black, and painted it an inoffensive tan color. It helped... a little.

This one model is the low point of El Camino history.

At least one Elcamino you will pass up.

We had a blue one here like this. I agree it was very ugly. Like I have said the 70's were not all that great.

Sorry guys those underpowered 70's cars were what I grew up with and spawned an awful lot of gear heads. The 50-60s cars were what we got in High school & after we got jobs we bought or were given the newer cars and then the fun started in the garage :jump:

Camino I liked the woody trucks better than the wagons but a nice Kingswood Estate say 1969 ish now :scratchchin::chevy:

Accept for the Pontiac's we skipped the 70's. We went 60's right to the 80's. We only used the 73 and later cars for the needed winter beaters. We only had a few 70's cars to play with of our own like the 74 TA SD and 77 Black Gold TA.

My buddy just bought a 74 GTO 4 speed hatch and it reminds me a lot why we skipped the 70's. It is a neat car but even with a cam it drives like a pig and even after a full reto is till is a piece of crap quality wise.

I love all Goats, even the fat '73 and the weak '74. The '77 Can-Am is cool, too, especially ones with a Pontiac 400.

I was lucky to see around 20+ Can Am's at the Pontiac National a few years back. It was cool to see so many in one place.

We just had 12 Superbirds and Daytona High Wings in at work two weeks ago. I had to go out and get a shot as seldom do you see that many at once. Some were clean some needed work but they all were real. I looked out the office window dropped what I was doing to go look.

Sorry guys those underpowered 70's cars were what I grew up with and spawned an awful lot of gear heads. The 50-60s cars were what we got in High school & after we got jobs we bought or were given the newer cars and then the fun started in the garage :jump:

Camino I liked the woody trucks better than the wagons but a nice Kingswood Estate say 1969 ish now :scratchchin::chevy:

Well, using the general description of "70s cars" really is a bit misleading. There is a huge gulf between early 70s and late 70s. That said, even the cars of the butt-end of the decade could be easily made into something that performed. They also had better brakes and handling than the legends that they displaced. The 70s were a time of great upheaval in the car world.