Saab 9-6 Shows Its Face

Cory Wolfe

Not entirely terrible!

...the interior lacks the "Saab" feel though...

No it's pretty bad. The 9-2 was more SAAB than this, which is a complete, 100% badge-job. Grille and logos are the only differences--even the interior is identical.

That's actually not correct. While the interior and profiles are the same, all of the sheetmetal forward of the A pillar is unique as is the rear end compared to the B9. In fact when Subaru refreshed that they used the 9-6's rear end design as well as the front fenders. It also had different rear quarter windows.

subaru-b9-tribeca.jpg

01-saab96.jpg

subaru_tribeca_05.jpg

Profile-1.jpg

03-saab96.jpg

subaru-tribeca-1.jpg

i.jpg

04-saab96.jpg

2008-subaru-tribeca-rear-side-view-.jpg

Was it enough differentiation? No, but it's not just a badge swap.

That's actually not correct. While the interior and profiles are the same, all of the sheetmetal forward of the A pillar is unique as is the rear end compared to the B9. In fact when Subaru refreshed that they used the 9-6's rear end design as well as the front fenders. It also had different rear quarter windows.

Was it enough differentiation? No, but it's not just a badge swap.

Honestly, the "different sheetmetal" looks to be no more different than what Ford did with the Milan/Fusion: same panels, certain cut-outs were just bigger in certain directions. At least Ford had the sense to do that but end up with two vehicles that didn't look EXACTLY THE SAME except for the grilles.

Also, you have a couple Tribeca designs there, and the 9-6X seems to have far more in common with the restyled Tribeca...which if memory serves the 9-6X would have launched at the same time as the Tribeca MCE...so the levels of differentiation are even less.

In any event, this is a nicer looking and more SAAB-ish looking vehicle than that other Saab rebadge - the 9-7x. I'd have pushed the 9-6 through and given the 9-7x interior to either the TB or the Envoy.

In any event, this is a nicer looking and more SAAB-ish looking vehicle than that other Saab rebadge - the 9-7x. I'd have pushed the 9-6 through and given the 9-7x interior to either the TB or the Envoy.

Sorry Z...I have to disagree with you. I see zero "SAAB" in the 9-6X other than the badge...and while the 9-7X was pretty abysmal in execution, it quantitatively had more SAAB DNA in its design--they at least moved the ignition from the dash to the center console, something they couldn't have been bothered to do on this Subaru rebadge.