Honda Civic No Longer Recommended by Consumer Reports

Cory Wolfe

Honda Civic No Longer Recommended by Consumer Reports

med_gallery_306_182_5669119.jpg

August 1, 2011

Cory Wolfe - CheersandGears.com

Yes, you read the title correctly, Honda's long-time recommended Civic has now lost its recommended rating with Consumer Reports. Not only that, it is now ranked near the bottom of its class. According to the consumer product testing organization, the new Civic's shortcomings have been eclipsed by "the high bar set in this class by the new-to-market Chevrolet Cruze, the redesigned-for-2012 Ford Focus, and the redesigned-for-2011 Hyundai Elantra". It's more than just the new comers, with its ratings dropping low enough to fall behind every competitor except the recently redesigned Volkswagen Jetta. Consumer Reports simply states "With all of the recent small sedan competition and a redesign that dropped the ball, now there are a lot better choices than a 2012 Civic."

If you're shocked by this news, you're not alone. Honda, itself, was compelled enough by the news to release its own counter-statement saying "In a broad sense, we disagree with Consumer Reports' findings." Honda also went on to say that the new Civic is a step forward, touting its past reliability record, safety record, and fuel efficient power train.

Sources:

:forum:Consumer Reports

:forum:Auto Blog

The civic is no longer recommended, but the Sentra and Corolla still are? :confused0071:

Well, are they being recommended? It said: "Also performing adequately but no longer considered class-leading are the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and Mazda3." That leads me to believe it's down there with the Civic... it's adequate but nothing special. Although the Corolla and Sentra were hardly anything great when they were brand new.

The civic is no longer recommended, but the Sentra and Corolla still are? :confused0071:

I wondered the same thing. I have a friend with a 2010 Corolla and it is downright terrible. Cheap plastic, cheap feel, horrible build quality, etc.

Winning!!!

2011-Hyundai-Elantra-Front-View-06.jpg

I just don't get what people see in that. I think it will age fast and terribly. The same goes for the inside of the Focus, though I find it looks good now, I wonder how aged it will look 3 years from now.

Agreed Nick, I'd hate to own either a Civic or a Corolla but I'd take the Civic if I HAD to own one for some horrific reason.

Here is CR's ranking of small sedans:

1. Hyundai Elantra GLS (recommended)

2. Nissan Sentra 2.0 SL (recommended)

3. Subaru Impreza 2.5i (recommended)

4. Toyota Corolla LE (recommended)

5. Kia Forte EX (recommended)

6. Mazda3 i Touring (recommended)

7. Chevrolet Cruze 1LT (1.4T)

8. Ford Focus SE

9. Chevrolet Cruze LS (1.8 )

10. Mitsubishi Lancer ES

11. Honda Civic LX

12. Volkswagen Jetta SE (2.5)

Small Hatchbacks

1. Volkswagen Golf (2.5) (recommneded)

2. Mazda3 s Sport (recommended)

3. Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (recommended)

4. Ford Focus SEL

5. Suzuki SX4 Technology (AWD) (recommended)

6. Toyota Matrix S (2.4L) (recommended)

7. Kia Forte EX

8. Toyota Matrix (base, 1.8L) (recommended)

9. Honda Insight EX

10. Dodge Caliber SXT

Is it the quality in question that keeps the Cruze and Focus from getting a recommended rating? I'm still confused how the corolla, and sentra beat out the Focus and Cruze.

Well it is Consumer Reports, where common sense is uncommon and endangered.

Is it the quality in question that keeps the Cruze and Focus from getting a recommended rating? I'm still confused how the corolla, and sentra beat out the Focus and Cruze.

As much as I'd like to blame conspiracy there and bribes, its these cars' history of reliability and resale value. It takes a while for these items to change... probably 3-5 years minimum, perhaps a decade for resale value. In a way, this is why Toyota and Honda haven't been seen the worst of their problems yet... they are still relying on attributes from cars built half a decade ago and more. Hopefully this is just the start of karma catching up.

Edited by SAmadei

Interesting development. Well, for the non-car enthusiast masses (which are probably 99% of the new car market), CR is the buyer's guide. What they write does influence purchases of transportation appliances.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Another example of how dumb and irrelevant CR is and always will be.

The Jetta comes in LAST place (out of 12) with the 2.5, but lop off the

trunk, stick on a GOLF badge and it comes in 1st out of 10. Same

motor, same everything except for a slightly modified body style.

Does anyone consider this to be trust worthy (unbiased) reporting...?

Edited by Sixty8panther

Another example of how dumb and irrelevant CR is and always will be.

The Jetta comes in LAST place (out of 12) with the 2.5, but lop off the

trunk, stick on a GOLF badge and it comes in 1st out of 10. Same

motor, same everything except for a slightly modified body style.

Does anyone consider this to be trust worthy (unbiased) reporting...?

The previous Jetta and Golf were pretty much sedan and hatch (and wagon) versions of each other.

The new Golf hasn't been decontented, but the new Jetta for the US market has been severely cheapened in the name of volume. Beam suspension, drum brakes, worse interior materials, fewer options, the 2.slow as the base engine, no 6MT unless it's the TDI...

The only ROW Jetta we'll see of this generation is the GLI.

Edited by Lamar

Interesting development. Well, for the non-car enthusiast masses (which are probably 99% of the new car market), CR is the buyer's guide. What they write does influence purchases of transportation appliances.

i had one guy who showed up at the dlrship with a plastic binder full of CR printed data sheets........

or people who have absolutely crossed off vehicles ONLY because they did not make the CR recommended.....

and people criticize for following religion.....isn't CR a religion to some...?

• Agree 1

Lamar: Thanks for the 411, but they tested the 2.5 Jetta, so it would seem to me they can't be THAT different. Whatever.

Wait... did you say DRUM brakes? LOL

My 1984 Maxima had 4-wheel disks. (as of course did my '84 M-B 500SEC)

Even the 1969 Camaro had four wheel disks as an option.

For the record, I've got nothing against rear drums, they have more holding power.

I better pre-order that Bugatti Veyron I was thinking about buying before they

decontent that car and I end up with a 1000hp car with 4-wheel drums.

I don't really have anything against rear drums either. But when you go from being arguably the most premium offering in the second to solidly mid-pack when it comes to features, it's not a good thing IMO.

Sixty8 - yeah, they kept the 2.5 I5 from '10 and before, but it's wrapped in a much less fancy package now. :P

i had one guy who showed up at the dlrship with a plastic binder full of CR printed data sheets........

or people who have absolutely crossed off vehicles ONLY because they did not make the CR recommended.....

and people criticize for following religion.....isn't CR a religion to some...?

Yes, it attracts the same kind of sheeple mentality.

Rear drums seems very old fashioned..I haven't had a vehicle newer than MY 1988 w/ rear drums.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar