Car and Driver reviews Lucerne CXS

wildcat

i hate reviews. honestly after you read enough they all start contradicting eachother. different people- same car- complete 180 sometimes.

what im not so sure is if its just so so but comfy and quiet but not a rocketship how does that differ from lets say a camry?

the reliabilty is even better over at buick...now im not looking to take sides i really would like to understand this better.

is it just a price thing? or did the tilt steering really piss em off?

The Lucerne goes straight up against much more expensive European luxury sedans, most of which are rwd or awd. I doubt they've even driven a fwd Phaeton, which would be the closest thing to a Lucerne, but still, it isn't going to get great reviews until it compares well to an S-Class or 7-Series etc.

Can we not play this game? All cars share similarities. Obviously vertical bars on the grille, a circular logo, the same color, and headlights placed ROUGHLY in the same spot does it for guys. But as we know pictures can be deceiving sometimes. Also if there is one domestic company that is seriously in trouble it is Mercury. The Sable had one of the highest depreciation values, there is nothing Mercury brings to the table that anybody in the automotive industry wants, especially with the Sable. The Lucerne is its own unique design. With these pictures you can definitely see they have completely different shapes where as the other picture of the Lucerne was a lame stock photo looking nothing like it does in person.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, we can play this game with any car company.

The brand new amazing Avalon???

Posted Image

Old Nissan Altima...

Posted Image

You can make the same exact criticism with these two cars. The grille and the lights are similar (obviously not the same and just as different of cars as the Lucerne and the Sable) but any criticism you give to the Lucerne about looking like a Sable you can give the exact same criticism to the Avalon looking like an old Altima.

Edited by Cananopie

ummm it's more convincing with the lucerne/sable....

Well I think the main points that make the Lucerne/Sable similar are the headlights and the grille. The body certainly has no similarities to the Sable and the back ends of the two vehicles are completely different worlds. Taking a thumbnail picture of the Lucerne you can easily squint your way in to seeing what you want.

Yes the Lucerne has verticle bars on the grille as does the Sable. And the grilles have similar (yet obviously different) shape. Again, looking at thumbnail pictures you can start to see a similarity between any two cars. You look at the pictures I provided you see the difference in the bumper, the definite difference in grilles, and the Sable and the Lucerne lights are in SIMILAR places but they are headlights, so forgive them for placing them in a similar spot. As for the cut and design of the headlights, they are different than the Sable in an obvious manner and the Lucerne headlights really do look jewel-like and cuts to the side of the car where the Sable just stays mostly to the front.

The Avalon and the Altima??

2 horizontal bars going across with the symbol right in the center. Closer than the Sable and Lucerne design AND an even more similar grille shape than the Lucerne and Sable design! They are the same shape, the Avalon just takes the shape and makes it a little wider. But same exact shape. And the lights? Almost identical. They're placed in a similar spot and they are even designed to look similar.

Obviously the body takes on a different design than the Altima, but so does the Lucerne to the Sable. The body of the Lucerne and the body of the Sable look nothing alike. The Sable is long and wide. The Lucerne is tall and sleek. I don't see where this astonishing similarity comes in aside from the grille and the lights. And then I don't see how the Avalon/Altima is any different than that.

Edited by Cananopie

In person the Sable/Lucerne is even more obvious.  I used those pics because they were similar colors.  The rear end has more in common with recent Acuras.

What is similar besides the placement of the headlights and the general shape of the grille, a circular emblem, and vertical bars? Mercury and Buick BOTH use vertical bars and BOTH use circular emblems. The bumper isn't near the same, the fog lamps and such are nowhere near the same, the bodies look completely different and by the time you get to the back end its apparently "more like Acura" but I'm sure we can draw little comparisons between an Acura and a Sable. WHAT are you guys so insistant upon that is there that isn't in every car with a similar grille style? See my example on previous page and if you can successfully say where the Lucerne/Sable are similar and the Avalon/Altima aren't, then I can find this point you're trying to make valid.

In person the Sable/Lucerne is even more obvious.  I used those pics because they were similar colors.  The rear end has more in common with recent Acuras.

Not really. In person, they don't look alike, even in similar colors. The Buick has larger headlamps and a much larger, more rounded grille. The photography plays tricks on you. Also, the rear end has more in common with newer Volkswagens than Acuras, who by the way, need to work on making the entire taillamp act as a turn signal on the TL rather than one thin strip of LEDs.

Not really. In person, they don't look alike, even in similar colors. The Buick has larger headlamps and a much larger, more rounded grille. The photography plays tricks on you. Also, the rear end has more in common with newer Volkswagens than Acuras, who by the way, need to work on making the entire taillamp act as a turn signal on the TL rather than one thin strip of LEDs.

Wait, Fly, the turn signal in the TL is not made of LEDs, only the brakes are. Secondly, what about the STS? It has 2 columns of LEDs, and the inner column is one row of LEDs that flash as a turn signal. I see no problem with either.

Thank you. I'm glad somebody here is using judgement not based on a thumbnail picture.

Wait, Fly, the turn signal in the TL is not made of LEDs, only the brakes are.  Secondly, what about the STS?  It has 2 columns of LEDs, and the inner column is one row of LEDs that flash as a turn signal.  I see no problem with either.

See, this is one of those things where I really just need to have you, a TL, and the nighttime to adequately explain, but I'll try...

Posted Image

The entire rear red lamp clusters of the TL are LEDs, I don't know how many, but there are multiple columns. When signaling, only the column furthest to the edge illuminates. When the car signals while braking, its harder to notice the one column of LEDs blinking when the other six or seven rows in the body of the taillamp unti are brightly-lit.

With the STS, the LEDs are larger in height and size (or appear to be?) and because there are only two columns, when one column flashes, its more obvious.

I like the DTS' method where the entire setup blinks. If you don't know a DTS is making a turn, you shouldn't be driving at night.

From teh front their designs and overall shapes are quite similar, but everything else is different. The Sable is like an oval, the Lucerne has a bit more of a wedge stance. I like the Lucerene infinitely more, but you gotta admit, when they are both that color and at that angle there's a resemblance. Now some people say "Well all cars take ideas fromother cars" Show me a car that looks like the Charger (not counting th LX platform mates) or the Mustang, or if it were to be a production car, the 427 concept. Nothing looks like the Camaro concept either. It's possible to make truely unique design, GM just hasn't done much of it, or Ford.

Posted Image

...ok you got me. :P

But in it's defence, let's look at it from another angle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, now you're gonna coem back with "well the Lucerne doesn't look like the Sable from the rear or side. Ok, true, but now it resembles a Phaeton

Posted Image

Posted Image

At least the Charger's side and front are unique :P

Uh...heh...I even said it resembles a VW myself.

I still think the Lucerne looks good. Its handsome and stately, but could certainly be more Buicky. People can mock all of the Buicks of the late-90s and early 2000s all they want, there was no mistaking them for what they were.

Uh...heh...I even said it resembles a VW myself.

Musta missed that, so then my point remains valid ^^;

I will concede...The Charger and Galant's butt look very similar.

But how about this? (And don't say the 300 Touring)

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

See, this is one of those things where I really just need to have you, a TL, and the nighttime to adequately explain, but I'll try...

Posted Image

The entire rear red lamp clusters of the TL are LEDs, I don't know how many, but there are multiple columns. When signaling, only the column furthest to the edge illuminates. When the car signals while braking, its harder to notice the one column of LEDs blinking when the other six or seven rows in the body of the taillamp unti are brightly-lit.

With the STS, the LEDs are larger in height and size (or appear to be?) and because there are only two columns, when one column flashes, its more obvious.

I like the DTS' method where the entire setup blinks. If you don't know a DTS is making a turn, you shouldn't be driving at night.

Fly, as good friends with someone who has owned a TL for a few years, the farmost, outer flashing bulb that flickers when making a turn, is a single bulb, not part of the LED cluster. I should borrow someone's camera and take pictures closeup... trust me, the entire rear is sorta like the new Accord taillamps--the whole brake setup is LED, but the directional is a single bulb:

Posted Image

I put the Accord Hybrid which features an Amber bulb to show it clearer than the all-red Accord sedan

There is no defending the Lucerne tail lamps from the VW. Buick hasn't had tail lights that didn't stretch all the way (or most of the way) across the back end in decades. This is not a Buick trait nor is it possible to defend it styling from the VW. The VW was obviously out first and Buick didn't make a mistake or make them similar by chance. Though it looks good it does lack uniqueness.

The front is Buick-y and unique however and doesn't look anymore like the Sable than the chance that they share certain design cues both by heritage.

There is no defending the Lucerne tail lamps from the VW. Buick hasn't had tail lights that didn't stretch all the way (or most of the way) across the back end in decades. This is not a Buick trait nor is it possible to defend it styling from the VW. The VW was obviously out first and Buick didn't make a mistake or make them similar by chance. Though it looks good it does lack uniqueness.

The front is Buick-y and unique however and doesn't look anymore like the Sable than the chance that they share certain design cues both by heritage.

Cananopie--Buick has had taillamps that stretched across often--the last Regal, Century, LeSabre and Park Avenue had taillamps that went most of the way across. The previous generation Century (mine), had taillamps that went completely across--which went up to the year 1996.

Here is the last gen Century--the illumination stopped just before the backup lights:

Posted Image

Here is the LeSabre--same deal as above--illumination went up to the backup lights:

Posted Image

Here's the Buick Park Avenue... the bottom half was the brake light, and top half the signal:

Posted Image

These are all cars that were out either last year or 2 years ago!

Edited by Paolino

Cananopie--Buick has had taillamps that stretched across often--the last Regal, Century, LeSabre and Park Avenue had taillamps that went most of the way across.  The previous generation Century (mine), had taillamps that went completely across--which went up to the year 1996.

I know Paulie. I think you misread my double-negative. I said "Buick hasn't had tail lights that didn't stretch..." In short I meant "Buick has only had tail lights that stretch all the way (or most of the way) across for decades."

The LeSabre, Regal, Century, Park Avenue, Riviera, Roadmaster, Reatta, Electra, and all their generations for at least the last 2 decades ALL have those kinds of tail lights. Not just the ones you mentioned- but all of them.

My point of that entry is that these new Lucerne tail lights are completely unjustified to look like that and are actually a rip-off of the VW.

Edited by Cananopie

The Lucerne's tails bear more a resemblance to the '06 Passat's, IMO, which debuted only a few months before the Lucerne did.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Come to think of it, both cars are remarkably similar, from the pseudo-Hofmeister kink C-pillar, to the awkward proportions that require big alloys to look right. I think it's a coincidence and not plagiarism; it's like the designers went through the same thoughts. Both were limited with platform and dimensions, and both designed a car solely to fill a gap in an established segment.

I know Paulie. I think you misread my double-negative. I said "Buick hasn't had tail lights that didn't stretch..." In short I meant "Buick has only had tail lights that stretch all the way (or most of the way) across for decades."

The LeSabre, Regal, Century, Park Avenue, Riviera, Roadmaster, Reatta, Electra, and all their generations for at least the last 2 decades ALL have those kinds of tail lights. Not just the ones you mentioned- but all of them.

My point of that entry is that these new Lucerne tail lights are completely unjustified to look like that and are actually a rip-off of the VW.

Cananopie... I don't know how I didn't notice the double-negative! Arg, I coulda saved myself the trouble of finding pictures of the butts of those cars too! :lol:

I don't feel the Lucerne taillamps are "un-Buick", however, I feel they resemble VW too much, because they have illuminated circles in their horizontal bars. I think the LaCrosse taillamps are very un-Buick because they don't stretch across the rear horizontally. If the Lucerne's taillamps were illuminated in some fashion that was unique, it might work better and be more traditional.

The Lucerne's tails bear more a resemblance to the '06 Passat's, IMO, which debuted only a few months before the Lucerne did.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Come to think of it, both cars are remarkably similar, from the pseudo-Hofmeister kink C-pillar, to the awkward proportions that require big alloys to look right. I think it's a coincidence and not plagiarism; it's like the designers went through the same thoughts. Both were limited with platform and dimensions, and both designed a car solely to fill a gap in an established segment.

Thank you. I've been making that comparison all along...even more so with the big Phaeton that I caught up with on purpose on the 101 to see if it was a Lucerne. I think that cessation of the "all the way across taillamps" is fine, so long as there are other Buick cues. The next one they need to liberate themselves from is the oval grille (LaCrosse, Rainier, Rendezvous) - they can introduce some angular elements into their grilles and still pass for Buicks!

See it's not that I don't like teh tailights or the butt, I think it's very nicely done, and probably the best of any Buick in recent memory (The LaCrosse looks like it has the tailights off a G6). The car itself just seems too much like a VW...but then GM was going for more European styling when they designed this car.

LaCrosse taillamps are much nicer, though. While I think the overall shape could be better, they're jeweled inside and at night have a semi-unique look to them with one main lamp and two smaller lamps. It definitely looks better on darker colors, though.

Arg, I coulda saved myself the trouble of finding pictures of the butts of those cars too!

Haha, the butt picture was a good one.

I think Buick is the one car company that has trumped the idea that tail lights can reach across the back of the car most, if not all of the way. I think Buick dropping this trait to look more like its competitors will only hurt Buick in the end.

There are a million ways you can design long tail lights as Buick has done for a long time... and just like the incessant vertical grille I think it's okay to deviate from the "typical" Buick fashion on occasion. My example I used before was the last gen Regal grille was not a waterfall/vertical grille and that was good to see Buick deviate from that style. Buick shouldn't be afraid to do something different. The last gen Riviera grille is another good example.

So tail lights that don't stretch all the way across are okay in my book, but not if you're going to drop it from the whole lineup. That was a unique look and somebody else will pick it up and Buick will race back to it like when Maserati used portholes and then people aren't going to give Buick the credit. I agree with Fly that the LaCrosse tail lamps are at least a bit more unique than the Lucerne.

VW has that tail light styling and Buick shouldn't have taken it as nice as it does look it makes Buick lose styling credibility which they are suffering from enough already.

Guest flowmotion

What I've learned from this thread is that the Lucerne's styling would have fit right in in the mid-1990s. This car doesn't look "new" now and is going to be very stylistically dated by the time it's replaced.

Also, I have to say the old Park Ave had more going for it than the Lucerne, in terms of exterior styling. Not a bad looking car -- had they continued that design theme I think the result would have been much stronger than the generic blob they put out.