wildcat

Car and Driver reviews Lucerne CXS

52 posts in this topic

i dunno about that, yellow. but your avitar!

i wish they'd sell him and her as standup figures.

It was begrudgingly optimistic, especially coming from the assholes at Foreign Car and Import Drivel

Besides, C&D isn't exactly the target audience for this car anyway, so screw 'em.

i hate reviews. honestly after you read enough they all start contradicting eachother. different people- same car- complete 180 sometimes.

what im not so sure is if its just so so but comfy and quiet but not a rocketship how does that differ from lets say a camry?

the reliabilty is even better over at buick...now im not looking to take sides i really would like to understand this better.

is it just a price thing? or did the tilt steering really piss em off?

The Lucerne goes straight up against much more expensive European luxury sedans, most of which are rwd or awd. I doubt they've even driven a fwd Phaeton, which would be the closest thing to a Lucerne, but still, it isn't going to get great reviews until it compares well to an S-Class or 7-Series etc.

So how well would the Holden Statesman (= Buick Statesman) compare to an S-Class or 7-Series? Assuming that the Statesman will replace Lucerne.

Edited by wildcat

Can we not play this game? All cars share similarities. Obviously vertical bars on the grille, a circular logo, the same color, and headlights placed ROUGHLY in the same spot does it for guys. But as we know pictures can be deceiving sometimes. Also if there is one domestic company that is seriously in trouble it is Mercury. The Sable had one of the highest depreciation values, there is nothing Mercury brings to the table that anybody in the automotive industry wants, especially with the Sable. The Lucerne is its own unique design. With these pictures you can definitely see they have completely different shapes where as the other picture of the Lucerne was a lame stock photo looking nothing like it does in person.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, we can play this game with any car company.

The brand new amazing Avalon???

Posted Image

Old Nissan Altima...

Posted Image

You can make the same exact criticism with these two cars. The grille and the lights are similar (obviously not the same and just as different of cars as the Lucerne and the Sable) but any criticism you give to the Lucerne about looking like a Sable you can give the exact same criticism to the Avalon looking like an old Altima.

Edited by Cananopie

ummm it's more convincing with the lucerne/sable....

as an aside, I wish GM would make truly revolutionary designs again. Not something that keeps getting done.

as an aside, I wish GM would make truly revolutionary designs again. Not something that keeps getting done.

I'd say an even bigger similarity is LaCrosse/Taurus.....(at least from the A-pillar rearwards....)

I'd say an even bigger similarity is LaCrosse/Taurus.....(at least from the A-pillar rearwards....)

When you see the car in person, not really.

Well I think the main points that make the Lucerne/Sable similar are the headlights and the grille. The body certainly has no similarities to the Sable and the back ends of the two vehicles are completely different worlds. Taking a thumbnail picture of the Lucerne you can easily squint your way in to seeing what you want.

Yes the Lucerne has verticle bars on the grille as does the Sable. And the grilles have similar (yet obviously different) shape. Again, looking at thumbnail pictures you can start to see a similarity between any two cars. You look at the pictures I provided you see the difference in the bumper, the definite difference in grilles, and the Sable and the Lucerne lights are in SIMILAR places but they are headlights, so forgive them for placing them in a similar spot. As for the cut and design of the headlights, they are different than the Sable in an obvious manner and the Lucerne headlights really do look jewel-like and cuts to the side of the car where the Sable just stays mostly to the front.

The Avalon and the Altima??

2 horizontal bars going across with the symbol right in the center. Closer than the Sable and Lucerne design AND an even more similar grille shape than the Lucerne and Sable design! They are the same shape, the Avalon just takes the shape and makes it a little wider. But same exact shape. And the lights? Almost identical. They're placed in a similar spot and they are even designed to look similar.

Obviously the body takes on a different design than the Altima, but so does the Lucerne to the Sable. The body of the Lucerne and the body of the Sable look nothing alike. The Sable is long and wide. The Lucerne is tall and sleek. I don't see where this astonishing similarity comes in aside from the grille and the lights. And then I don't see how the Avalon/Altima is any different than that.

Edited by Cananopie

In person the Sable/Lucerne is even more obvious. I used those pics because they were similar colors. The rear end has more in common with recent Acuras.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.