Ram To Get Version Of Ducato

William Maley

Ram To Get Version Of Ducato

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

September 16, 2011

post-10485-0-04415300-1316198606.png

Following the news of Ram getting a version of Fiat's Doblo small van, sources from suppliers at the Frankfurt Motor Show told Automotive News that the brand will get a version of the Ducato to take on the Ford's Transit and the Chevrolet Express.

The sources tell Automotive News that Chrysler will build the vans at their plant in Saltillo, Mexico. Chrysler plans on building 30,000 Ducato vans per year. The powertrain is unknown at this time.

When asked, Ram had no comment.

Source: Automotive News

So, the question now is will GM follow suit and bring over Opel vans to replace the GMC Savana/Chrevrolt Express? Not much, if anything, has been mentioned about the full-size vans (redesign or update). They have been on-market as such since 1996 (GMT600), and other than tweaks over the years have had one MCE in 2003 (GMT601). With the full-size pickups and SUVs expected to arrive in 2014, will the vans be continued or discontinued?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

So, the question now is will GM follow suit and bring over Opel vans to replace the GMC Savana/Chrevrolt Express? Not much, if anything, has been mentioned about the full-size vans (redesign or update). They have been on-market as such since 1996 (GMT600), and other than tweaks over the years have had one MCE in 2003 (GMT601). With the full-size pickups and SUVs expected to arrive in 2014, will the vans be continued or discontinued?

Since GM can't have make bold corporate decisions anymore, I'm sure GM will follow the pack and American full sized vans as we know it will be a thing of the past... unless you count the Nissan NV, which is more like a full size van than these Sprinter/Transit/Ducato things.

With such a short overhang and so much windshield, I can't see how the Ducato would pass our crash tests... even our more lenient truck crash tests.

Does GM build their own full-size cargo vans in Europe, or are they in a joint venture with somebody else?

The Ford Transit is a better looking van than this by a long shot, and I believe that at the very least, the small business owner will tilt toward the better looking van to represent themselves to their customers.

Now is when GM needs their small Duramax engine to put into the Express/Savana as an answer to these thrifty Euro vans... at least as a stopgap until they can get on the bandwagon.

Does GM build their own full-size cargo vans in Europe, or are they in a joint venture with somebody else?

The Ford Transit is a better looking van than this by a long shot, and I believe that at the very least, the small business owner will tilt toward the better looking van to represent themselves to their customers.

Now is when GM needs their small Duramax engine to put into the Express/Savana as an answer to these thrifty Euro vans... at least as a stopgap until they can get on the bandwagon.

GM has the Opel/Vauxhall Vivaro, which is a JV w/ Renault (Renault Trafic, Nissan Primestar), and the larger Opel/Vauxhall Movano, also a JV w/ Renault (Renault Master).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Since GM can't have make bold corporate decisions anymore, I'm sure GM will follow the pack and American full sized vans as we know it will be a thing of the past... unless you count the Nissan NV, which is more like a full size van than these Sprinter/Transit/Ducato things.

With such a short overhang and so much windshield, I can't see how the Ducato would pass our crash tests... even our more lenient truck crash tests.

You'd be right...should be the plan I'd bet.

But, I find the old vans better to drive.....drove a sprinter....wow, I hated it....like driving a giant toaster!

It's interesting, GM could end up being in an almost "Crown Victoria" type situation if they are the last ones to keep the old style vans in production. It could mean a very different level of economics for them if people are reluctant to switch.

But, I find the old vans better to drive.....drove a sprinter....wow, I hated it....like driving a giant toaster!

The old vans ride can vary. Some people prefer the "people friendly" vans, which are softly sprung and can lean badly during turns. While comfortable, its very dangerous, IMHO. This is why Ford issued a recall on 15 passenger vans in the mid '90s to remove the rear seat.

I prefer hard sprung work vans... because the ride height doesn't change much loaded or not, and because they can actually handle pretty good if your load is low. But these can get awfully bouncy when unloaded... but at least you can plan for that.

Sprinter I drove had no power, handled by leaning all over I felt like I was sitting in a high chair.

It's interesting, GM could end up being in an almost "Crown Victoria" type situation if they are the last ones to keep the old style vans in production. It could mean a very different level of economics for them if people are reluctant to switch.

It could, and I would be thrilled if GM got an iron grip on the market for 20, 30 more years.

Its also very "Crown Vic" in the idea that the inferior product survives longer than the better one. I'm shocked that Ford would kill off the E-series considering how much work they put into making the vans the strongest work vans you can get... just like GM killing the Caprice just as they got it right. GM has kinda let their top end full size vans languish behind Ford top vans for the last decade. I still prefer GM vans, however, as the basic GM van is better.

I expect Ford to get a lot of bad feedback from E-series buyers, as they are talked into Transits. Dodge didn't get this because their last full size vans were so outdated and sold in low numbers... mostly to church groups, it seems. I think when working folk are asked to trade in the big, powerful vans for Transits, it will be like telling F-350 people to start using Ford Couriers.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I'm shocked that Ford would kill off the E-series considering how much work they put into making the vans the strongest work vans you can get...

SAmadei, I agree with that statement of yours. I can't believe Ford would give up on the commercial market with the E-350 chasis cab (for example, my fire dept took delivery of a new Ford E-350 ambulance in June). I can't see the Transit Connect becoming Ford's ambulance answer! Okay, I know the Transit may fit that role much better than the Transit Connect, but the Sprinter never really seemed to capture any of that market. I was in Wildwood Saturday for the NJ Firemen's Convention Parade and all of the ambulances there were either Ford or GM (more Topkick & Kodiaks than Expresses/Savanas). Not one Sprinter in sight, and in my part of Burlington County only one hospital runs Sprinters - Lourdes Hospital in Willingboro. I can't see Ford making an exit with the Econoline just yet.

I'm shocked that Ford would kill off the E-series considering how much work they put into making the vans the strongest work vans you can get...

SAmadei, I agree with that statement of yours. I can't believe Ford would give up on the commercial market with the E-350 chasis cab (for example, my fire dept took delivery of a new Ford E-350 ambulance in June). I can't see the Transit Connect becoming Ford's ambulance answer! Okay, I know the Transit may fit that role much better than the Transit Connect, but the Sprinter never really seemed to capture any of that market. I was in Wildwood Saturday for the NJ Firemen's Convention Parade and all of the ambulances there were either Ford or GM (more Topkick & Kodiaks than Expresses/Savanas). Not one Sprinter in sight, and in my part of Burlington County only one hospital runs Sprinters - Lourdes Hospital in Willingboro. I can't see Ford making an exit with the Econoline just yet.

Which is odd to me, as I would think the stock high top Sprinter would be a big plus on an ambulance.

I just don't see the Transit taking over like Hino and the other cheap imported medium duty trucks took the TopKick/Kodiak market... because that was driven by cost... and the Hino buyers got what they paid for... junk trucks. I see them for sale pretty cheap now, as a lot of local companies have switched to higher quality makes. In any case, I think Ford thinks the Transit is a premium product. People like the E-series for being relatively cheap per its abilities.

So Wildwood survived another Fireman's Convention, huh? I can never believe how nuts some of those were in the '90s.

We have a lot of Sprinter ambulances here. The non-sprinter ones seem to run Topkick or F-series SD cab..... so maybe the Econoline will be supplanted by greater chassis cab availability when really heavy duty is needed.

Have seen zero sprinter ambulances in my area- all are heavy duty trucks.

I can definitely see the Ford Super Duty F350/F450/F550 chasis cab truck taking over for the E350 chasis cab for ambulance duty if the econoline van goes away. A lot of state-wide (NJ) fire depts (in fire dept-specific magazines I read at the station) are switching over to these. My dept has two older E350 ambulances, and decided to stick with that model for the new 2011 one.

I can definitely see the Ford Super Duty F350/F450/F550 chasis cab truck taking over for the E350 chasis cab for ambulance duty if the econoline van goes away. A lot of state-wide (NJ) fire depts (in fire dept-specific magazines I read at the station) are switching over to these. My dept has two older E350 ambulances, and decided to stick with that model for the new 2011 one.

A similar trend--I've started noticing shuttle buses built using the Super Duty CC instead of the usual E-series CC...

• 3 months later...