Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Chevrolet Announces Colorado-Based Trailblazer SUV

Chevrolet Announces Colorado-Based Trailblazer SUV

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

October 12, 2011

post-10485-0-90094800-1318436793.png

Today, General Motors announced a new SUV based on the Colorado truck. The SUV will be called the Trailblazer and will make it's official debut at Dubai Motor Show next month and go on sale oin Thailand beginning in early 2012.

Now if you want to get your hands onto a Trailblazer, you'll have to go to Thailand. A spokesperson told Inside Line the Trailblazer will not come to the US.

Source: Inside Line Twitter

Press Release is Below

Chevrolet Announces All-new Global Midsize SUV

2011-10-12 - DETROIT – Chevrolet will introduce the all-new, 2013 TrailBlazer midsize SUV in global markets, beginning in Thailand, in early 2012. Built on a new global midsize platform developed by GM do Brasil, the TrailBlazer will combine the hauling and towing capability of an SUV with the ride comfort and efficiency of a crossover. The new TrailBlazer will be unveiled at Dubai International Motor Show, Nov. 10-14.

Good news! At least GM isn't giving up on the BOF SUV. Glad to see the TrailBlazer name is making a return, as it had an overall positive reputation (now, will this mean a return of the Envoy???).

Good news! At least GM isn't giving up on the BOF SUV. Glad to see the TrailBlazer name is making a return, as it had an overall positive reputation (now, will this mean a return of the Envoy???).

I don't think so.. Trailblazer will not come to the US.

Not sure I understand why they aren't bringing it to the US. Perhaps they don't think it can compete due to MPG issues?

At the right price point they would have the market for midsize BOF SUVs to themselves.

I think they should at least look into selling the vehicle for commercial buyers.

Oh nearly all their new cars are not coming to the US like the Colorado but in the end nearly all of them end up here in one form or another. I would not rule this one out all together yet.

About the only one that never seems to make it is the Ute.

• Upvote 1

Oh nearly all their new cars are not coming to the US like the Colorado but in the end nearly all of them end up here in one form or another. I would not rule this one out all together yet.

You forgot to add the updated sedan (in a Chevy wrapper) and the wagon...

Yeah, the good stuff never shows up.

Because the market shows Americans overwhelmingly prefer vanilla (FWD 4cyl automatic sedans in white or silver). :(

• Downvote 1

Because the market shows Americans overwhelmingly prefer vanilla (FWD 4cyl automatic sedans in white or silver). :(

Which only holds true until they actually put something interesting on dealer lots (witness Camaro).

• Upvote 1

I've always wondered why the ASEAN market got their own trucks and SUVs. Much like the consolidation between NA and European market cars, I suspect we'll see the same for trucks.

This Trailblazer would compete against the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Everest in the ASEAN market.

You forgot to add the updated sedan (in a Chevy wrapper) and the wagon...

I did not forget. The wagon should never had come as it would have never made it more than 2 years. The Chevy RWD Sedan is on the way. It will be V8 only and expensive in limited numbers but once the new Chevy V8 hits it will appear too. Think updated GXP G8 as a Chevy SS sedan of some name. GM people have called it a Camaro SS sedan.

Now I did forget the Orlando but that is a good thing.

Which only holds true until they actually put something interesting on dealer lots (witness Camaro).

And even then the Cruze still out sells it 3 or 4 to 1.

Camino there are some things coming that should interest you and you know it. We have a better Camaro coming, Vette and the RWD V8 sedan. Just time has moved on and you are just not going to get many V8 cars and a lot of RWD in the past. The new rules are forcing them and us into these orange crates and we have to make due with what we have.

It is a matter of time to where we will face a world conflict and gas will spike higher than ever. When that happens GM will be glad to have the 3 cylinders and small engines. They got burned before in the 70's.

The 65 MPG CAFE or what ever crazy number they are looking at is nuts to me too but GM needs a good number of fuel efficent cars to remain viable. The performance cars are only frosting on the cake and GM can live with or without them. GM could not survive with only performance low MPG cars. Like it or not most people just want to get where they are going and could care less about the car they do it in as long as it gets good MPG, is Affordable and is Reliable. It sucks for the enthusiast but it is what it is.

As I have said before the love affair with the automobile for most is over. It is true that the car is an appliance to most and they worry more about having the latest I phone. Just look at their sales last week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Good stuff is coming?

When?

After I'm dead?

They've had squat for ages, and that's what they still have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Considering the debut is in Dubai, I suspect Northstar is onto something when he fingers CAFE as the villain.

I guess Chevrolet doesn't believe authentic vehicles will sell in the USA. Boo on them.

• Upvote 1

Good stuff is coming?

When?

After I'm dead?

2014-2015 I assume your health will hold out that long. You will just have to make due with the squat 400+ and 600+ Corvettes, 300 HP 400 HP and 600 HP Camaros for now. If you are open minded enough the ATS and new CTS too. Plus you know as well as I that we have not seen all the big picture yet. We have a Z28 to come and the Holden/Chevy sedan by 2014.

GM can't do it all in just a year or two and they need to get the cars that pay the bills done first as well as the new V8. Once the new V8 is in the Vette the others will soon follow.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff is coming?

When?

After I'm dead?

2014-2015 I assume your health will hold out that long. You will just have to make due with the squat 400+ and 600+ Corvettes, 300 HP 400 HP and 600 HP Camaros for now. If you are open minded enough the ATS and new CTS too. Plus you know as well as I that we have not seen all the big picture yet. We have a Z28 to come and the Holden/Chevy sedan by 2014.

GM can't do it all in just a year or two and they need to get the cars that pay the bills done first as well as the new V8. Once the new V8 is in the Vette the others will soon follow.

I disagree with the bolded part. The Holden could have come here as a Chevrolet Caprice SS a year after Pontiac was closed (2011) and begun to satisfy those with the money and wants for such a car. EVERY 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP sedan SOLD. Chevrolet certainly could have use that business back in 2010 and 2011 to pay bills, not to mention in 2012 and 2013. Why wait? The Sports Tourer could have also added some needed $$$ to the GM coifers, again it might have been a small amount of sales (5 or 10k per year), but at a premium price and the market to back it cash is cash. And the same could be said for the Holden Ute badged as an El Camino. I totally understand your "they need to get the cars that pay the bills done first" statement, but adding a line-up of vehicles already being produced and sold around the world just makes great business sense. Look at the resale value of '94-'96 Impala SS sedans... there's a market for these vehicles, trust me.

• Upvote 2

Good stuff is coming?

When?

After I'm dead?

I disagree with the bolded part. The Holden could have come here as a Chevrolet Caprice SS a year after Pontiac was closed (2011) and begun to satisfy those with the money and wants for such a car. EVERY 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP sedan SOLD.

They *could* have brought it here then, but they had the little matter of a bankruptcy to deal with--bigger issues like survival were at the fore for GM from '08-10.. Also, probably couldn't make a business case for the investment of federalizing them with the potential of low volume of sales.

I'd love to have seen a Caprice here then and the wagon and El Camino version as well.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Getting back on topic....the reason it is not coming is three words: The current 'Nox.

It would just eat sales of it......

Good stuff is coming?

When?

After I'm dead?

I disagree with the bolded part. The Holden could have come here as a Chevrolet Caprice SS a year after Pontiac was closed (2011) and begun to satisfy those with the money and wants for such a car. EVERY 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP sedan SOLD. Chevrolet certainly could have use that business back in 2010 and 2011 to pay bills, not to mention in 2012 and 2013. Why wait? The Sports Tourer could have also added some needed $$$ to the GM coifers, again it might have been a small amount of sales (5 or 10k per year), but at a premium price and the market to back it cash is cash. And the same could be said for the Holden Ute badged as an El Camino. I totally understand your "they need to get the cars that pay the bills done first" statement, but adding a line-up of vehicles already being produced and sold around the world just makes great business sense. Look at the resale value of '94-'96 Impala SS sedans... there's a market for these vehicles, trust me.

Bringing the Holden over is not as simple as it appears.

The fact is there is little return per dollar on a low volume 10K unit car vs one that sell 100K-200K. The

The Holden is only held up for the new engine and updates. One it will have more power, More MPG and the improvments will move it away from the Pontiac that GM does not want to stir old memories on right now.

Also add into this the Holden is only going to sell in numbers of 10K unit or less. GM is very concerned about the MPG of this car and plans to limit it because of this. they are not planning all 4 cylinder Malibu's just because they think that is all that will sell. CAFE has the Auto makers scared and it will remain that way unless someone in DC changes things.

Resales is only a reflection of supply and demand. There is demand but there are few of these cars left as few were ever built and many have passed on. Even the G8 prices are up but they never really sold in any great volume by North American standards. Many at GM want to hold the Camaro accountable for 100,000 units per year and this is why so much effort was put into the V6 model to help fill out the remaining sales.

The fact is the V8 will be a very rare engine at most companies and it will not be in anything cheap.

Anymore the goverment standards and monetary issues have really effected on how and what is built anymore. It really reflects in the product as well as the publics interst. While there is still demand for performance cars it is far from what it used to be. The rules of engagment are much more than most in the public sector know. If only building cool cars was enough!

Getting back on topic....the reason it is not coming is three words: The current 'Nox.

It would just eat sales of it......

I think you would be suprised and find the Nox would still easily outsell this. The Cadillac larger RWD AWD SUV failed where their smaller SUV FWD AWD and done much better.

Now I could see it taking Traverse sales. It would provide hauling room but I would hope better MPG than the Traverse. Right now the smaller SUV seems to be a bigger hit. MPG and easier to drive still with good utility.

• Downvote 1

This is the type of vehicle that can win cult status. An authentic SUV... not a cardboard cut-out with pie-in-the-sky EPA mileage numbers that have never been attained by real world customers.

This would sell here to real, honest country people. People who are Chevy fans, not transient customers trading in their CR-Vs.

• Upvote 1