KillFort

113 MPG Next-Gen Prius???

70 posts in this topic

KillFort    0

Don't know if this has already been posted, let alone if it is all BS... let's hope so for GM's sake.

Tuesday 4th April 2006

Prius hits 113mpg

Toyota is charging ahead in the race for domination of the hybrid car market, according to Auto Express spies.

The firm's next Prius will be so efficient it will be the first production car capable of returning more than 110mpg. The newcomer is being developed to try to improve European sales. While the car has been a success in the US, it has met a mixed reaction on this side of the Atlantic, due to the popularity of diesel models.

But now we've been told that engineers working on the new Prius have a fuel economy target of 40km/litre - a mind-boggling 113mpg.

"The whole electrical system has been redesigned to improve economy" said one Toyota engineer. "We are working on a prototype that runs solely on the electric motor in slow traffic, but switches to engine and motor drive when higher speeds are needed." The secret lies with the batteries. The current Prius uses nickel-hydride items, which currently offer the best balance between cost and performance.

But engineers are working on new lithiumion cells, which are lighter, smaller, generate more power and last longer. Subaru and Mitsubishi both plan to sell electric cars by 2010, but Toyota hopes to get its new model on the road as early as 2008.

And improved economy isn't the firm's only goal, as engineers are working on reducing the current car's 10.9-second 0-62mph time by more than a second.

Peter Lyon - Article from: Auto Express

Edited by KillFort

Northstar    11

Maybe EPA estimates will be 113, but that means you're looking at about 70 in real world driving (going by the drop off seen in the current one). 70 is obviously really good, but I highly doubt it will get 113 in real-world driving.

One of my teachers has a Prius and doesn't even get 40MPG.

Petra    0

Now that Hybrid cars are becoming more mainstream, it only makes sense for Toyota to use the Prius as a sort of testing bed to push the envelope even further.

I, for one, would be delighted to have a car that returned 70 MPG, even if that meant it was falling short of it's EPA rating. I mean, even the Insight doesn't get 70 real-world MPG, which would make this new Prius the most fuel efficient car on the road. And, when you've got the most fuel efficient car on the road at a "mere" 70 MPG, I don't think it matters too much that it's falling short of the claimed mileage.

regfootball    234

Maybe EPA estimates will be 113, but that means you're looking at about 70 in real world driving (going by the drop off seen in the current one). 70 is obviously really good, but I highly doubt it will get 113 in real-world driving.

One of my teachers has a Prius and doesn't even get 40MPG.

yes some folks who have had ecotecs in Saturn L's and Malibus have said that they can achieve mid-upper 30's, like 35+

toyoguy    0

Peter Lyon has a credible Toyota source, but I'm sure that's Japanese mpg, not EPA #'s.

Either way the new Prius will get noticiably better mileage as the system improves.

It's only going to get better and better.

A lot of people said that in the early 1970s but we all know how the

next two decades turned out. The Prius is a marketing tool plain &

simple. It's overly complex, underwhelming and over rated.

Enzora    0

Umm...cars have gotten a LOT more fuel efficient over the last couple decades. But since gas prices have, until recently, remained ridiculously low, there's been no real incentive to use the technology to make them have better gas mileage. So instead, they used the efficiency to make bigger and more powerful cars.

Remember, necessity is the mother of invention.

Exactly. Although instead of it being a marketing tool, it's just a plain ol TOOL. And the drivers of these cars are TOOLS for paying too much money when you could get an ecotec for less money and similar mileage results.

I want to run Prius's off the road when I see them but I don't want to scratch up my G6...

So I flip them the bird instead. Get the hell off my roads moron!!! :angry:

Endo    0

AutoExpress is British so that's 113 Imperial gallons which comes to 93 mpg American.

http://tunertuesdays.autoblog.com/2006/04/...t-with-100-mpg/

If they manage to significantly improve fuel economy and performance that will be quite impressive and a huge seller. Still at least two years away, though, so this might all be BS.

I imagine they'll want to lighten the car quite a bit to achieve those new numbers, which is great because modern cars keep getting fatter. Time to buck that trend.

Paolino    99

AutoExpress is British so that's 113 Imperial gallons which comes to 93 mpg American.

http://tunertuesdays.autoblog.com/2006/04/...t-with-100-mpg/

If they manage to significantly improve fuel economy and performance that will be quite impressive and a huge seller.  Still at least two years away, though, so this might all be BS. 

I imagine they'll want to lighten the car quite a bit to achieve those new numbers, which is great because modern cars keep getting fatter.  Time to buck that trend.

The car is incredibly light already. Try flying over bumps in that thing going 60... it just doesn't feel right.

Endo    0

The car is incredibly light already.  Try flying over bumps in that thing going 60... it just doesn't feel right.

Incredibly light? The thing weighs 2900 lbs. That's the same as the Buick Century in your sig.

PurdueGuy    72

Incredibly light?  The thing weighs 2900 lbs.  That's the same as the Buick Century in your sig.

While I'd agree that that isn't "incredibly light", it is pretty light, espeically considering the battery pack.

siegen    20

Back in 1999 the Insight was originally rated to 82mpg (converted to US gallons) for the Asian markets. And some European magazines reported close to or over 100mpg (in british gallons) real world testing. By the time it got here, it was only rated to 57 combined (50/64).

By the time this Toyota gets over here with extra safety and comfort features, it will probably see at best a 65mpg combined rating.

Edited by siegen

Snate    0

By the time this Toyota gets over here with extra safety and comfort features, it will probably see at best a 65mpg combined rating.

Yep...and it will probably start at 25K and still be slower than every 4 cyl car.

Snate    0

Awww...boo hoo.

Aww...don't worry, I'm sure Toyota would have no problem selling everyone of them even if they were priced as high as 30K.

pow    106

:bs:

And what, exactly, is "lithiumion"? :blink:

Lithium-ion?

From Apple website...

"Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than Nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as Lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in Nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge)."

Camino LS6    866

Lithium-ion?

From Apple website...

"Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than Nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as Lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in Nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge)."

Now that makes more sense, must have been a typo. As one word, I could barely even pronounce it. :lol:

Viperfan07    0

Exactly. Although instead of it being a marketing tool, it's just a plain ol TOOL. And the drivers of these cars are TOOLS for paying too much money when you could get an ecotec for less money and similar mileage results.

I want to run Prius's off the road when I see them but I don't want to scratch up my G6...

So I flip them the bird instead. Get the hell off my roads moron!!! :angry:

LOL, I like the way he thinks.

PurdueGuy    72

To give an idea of how nice Lithium-Ion batteries are, take a look at Milwaukee Tool's new line of 28 volt cordless tools. The batteries weigh the same as a typical 18V, but as said before, don't have to be treated carefully to keep from creating "memory". Finally, battery technology is getting somewhere. I know in the GM EV1 (electric car) they gained like 30-40% range when they switched from lead acid batteries to Nickel-metal hydride batteries. What I've heard of the Lithium-Ion batteries sounds like it's a simmilar jump in battery tech.

Edited by PurdueGuy

Angry Dad    0

Hasn't anybody noticed this:

"The firm's next Prius will be so efficient it will be the first production car capable of returning more than 110mpg. The newcomer is being developed to try to improve European sales. While the car has been a success in the US, it has met a mixed reaction on this side of the Atlantic, due to the popularity of diesel models."

The Prius is strugling elsewhere.

The noise about huge gains in economy is just that, noise wirh no substance. Reminds me of the typical Toyota bootlicker. Do it then talk about it. Otherwise its pure BS.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.