Buick News: SLP Releases Teaser for New Buick GNX

G. Noble

Editor/Reporter

CheersandGears.com

March 1, 2012

Since Buick reintroduced the Regal to the North American market back in 2010, there has been some enthusiasm for the return of the big-daddy GNX, the famous performance car of the ‘80s which was based around the then-current Regal. Well, since it appears that New Jersey-based tuning firm SLP has secured the rights to the “GNX” name, some of you may just get your wish.

SLP released the teaser sketch you’re viewing just recently, which reveals that the new GNX will use the current Regal GS as its starting point. From there, it appears SLP will beef up the bodywork with unique flared fender extensions and lower rocker panel extensions, a new lower front fascia, possibly a new set of rims, and a huge power bulge on the hood. While the GS is one of the more fairly handsome performance sedans on the market, SLP’s exterior changes make it look almost flaccid in comparison.

SLP notes that their new GNX will pack over 300 horses, up from the 270 you get in a regular GS. There isn’t any word on what gearbox SLP plans to use, but there probably wouldn’t be any harm in assuming SLP may at least choose the GS’s manual transmission. SLP also hasn’t said if the new GNX will somehow be all-wheel drive — like the Regal GS’s related German counterpart, the Opel Insignia OPC — or remain front-wheel drive.

If you want one, however, there isn’t much time to worry about all of the specifics. You’d better get in line as soon as you can because SLP only plans to build 500 of these. You hear that, Lord Vader?

Source: Edmund's Inside Line

View full article

Very cool in Deed, I wish them the best of luck.

I do hope they have AWD with a massively massaged turbo'd engine and cold air induction that can get about 350HP or more. This need to then be Metallic black with the Grill, the rings around the three large air intacts in the lower facia and rims all BLACK CHROME. Windows all Tinted dark. This would be one bad ass ride! :P

I work with SLP on different things at work. I knew they were doing something with the Regal.

Based on their latest work I only expect some body changes and the 300 HP as it is not hard to do, All you have to do is add a pair of 3 bar maps and and a flash of the computer. It is an easy mod. They could make some real money with this as long as GM does not offer the upgrade package like on the HHR, Cobalt and Kappas.

I in no way see them doing AWD as the it would add so much to the price no one would buy it.

SLP just did the ZL1 Camaro of their own at a big price and now Chevy has a better one at a lesser price. I expect theirs to fade away soon or make a bigger jump in power. I don't see many of theirs being sold.

Ed has struggled to find his niche since they lost the deal to supply dealer cars with the 4th gens. They even resorted to Ford Rangers for a short while.

I think it is more likely licensing the trademarks from GM.

And you'd be wrong.

GM had to negotiate the rights to the ZL-1 moniker away from SLP who had claimed it and produced a Camaro package first.

The article makes it clear that SLP has the rights to "GNX" as well.

I think it is more likely licensing the trademarks from GM.

And you'd be wrong.

GM had to negotiate the rights to the ZL-1 moniker away from SLP who had claimed it and produced a Camaro package first.

The article makes it clear that SLP has the rights to "GNX" as well.

So GM goofed and let the naming rights expire...those names should never have been owned by a 3rd party like SLP.

Well, no doubt there's SOME cost involved, and GM had HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of past names.

That, and GM (and all the other manufacturers) pays very little attention to their pasts.

I consider it High Fortune that there's a GM Historical and that all the paper/photo records weren't heaved into a plant furnace decades ago.

There was a binder of Motorama car sketches & photos, unique views, tight renderings, found in a dumpster behind the Clark Ave Cadillac plant years ago- how that could have happened defies explanation/theory.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

um i say that unless its direct competition for the taurus SHO it shouldnt be titled a GNX. that moniker conjures up thoughts of dominance... when NA v6's are touting 300-315hp that is not very dominating. a GNX version should bring 400hp to this gun fight.

um i say that unless its direct competition for the taurus SHO it shouldnt be titled a GNX. that moniker conjures up thoughts of dominance... when NA v6's are touting 300-315hp that is not very dominating. a GNX version should bring 400hp to this gun fight.

The only possible advantage the SHO could hold over the SLP GNX is that it offers all-wheel drive.

Otherwise, the SHO requires not one, but two turbochargers so that it's 3.5L V6 can develop 365 horsepower. The GNX will generate at least 300 horsepower out of a four-cylinder engine with only one turbo. The GNX really makes the SHO look like a garden plow here if I'm honest.

That's also not to mention the SHO is a fat old cat that tips the scales north of 4300 pounds. The GNX should be a few hundred less than that.

Edited by black-knight

I would rather see GM take this car and put more power to it. I know that the Eco Turbo can fo up to 500 HP in reliable power for a street car since they have already shown us this in several show cars. Imagine a 350-400 Version of the 2nd gen 2.0?

Of all the complaints on the Regal the FWD has not been one of them. There have nit picks on other items but the torque steer and FWD has not been a complaint.

The other key is untill they redo the Regal they need to keep the price down as while it is a great car it is not a car many will pay more than $40K for.. AWD would be nice but GM needs to find a way to keep the price down if they plan to use it in this car.

As for the name.it mattlers little to me as long as it is a great car. The pocket of people it matters too is small and if anything a great car built on this name would only bring to light the past cars many forgot about or never knew.

Buick could use the G as like how BMW uses the M. They could a do s G_X and change the middle letter for each. A Regal GRX would be nice.

As for what gets tossed at MFG I can tell you stories. Everything from production based Plastic Fiero GT wheels to historic Blimp parts to Mercury/Gemini Space Suits and Space Shuttle tires some with brakes and landing gear parts. . I have see it all.