2007 Toyota Camry transmission issues?

mustang84

the whole trick to an automatic transmission is the k factor of the torque converter or lately the material and aplication method for convertor clutch. You can slip a transmission on the input end to get durabilty and shift feel but it's a disaster if you go the other way. The reason to go 6 gears is to gain efficiency, go lower with the first gear. It doesn't really matter where the top gear is since final drive is simply a matter of design and calibration. Nobody here has any idea if these failures are assembly or design. But over time Aisan and Jatco have built some really crappy transmissions. Honda got burned by some. Mitsubishi too. The still can't get shift feel anywhere close to Hydramatic. And they still have problems with shift logic.

Many times driving say a 4-speed auto, I find that you punch it to pull out to pass, and only get a downshift to 3rd gear because 2nd is geared to short to keep acceleration peppy from a stop....and therefore the tranny won't grab it.

Yes, that is so annoying, when your going a little too fast for second, but too slow for 3rd, so instead of a surge of power, you get a gradual increase while you get back into the powerband. 5 and 6 speeds are an improvement over 4 speeds, but I dont think 7 or 8 is necessary, or of any benefit.

Skip shift is a piece of crap......

If I actually allow the skip shift to take me into 4th gear when it wanted to, even my very torquey Corvette can't comfortably accelerate.  It bogs down and VERY slowly picks up speed.  That can be even bad in heavy traffic.  Dragging it from 1st to 4th at that low of engine speeds just drops the car into a hole.

I always bypass it unless I happen to not be paying attention.  You can bypass it by either, shifting from 1st to 2nd at below about 2,000rpms, or accelerate in 1st to just past 2,300rpms, or wait to pull the shift lever back out of 1st until the skip shift indicator light goes out (a second or two.)

Sounds annoying. I would find some software to remove that if it were my car.

There are skip shift removal kits out there.

I have it... it's great. You unplug the wires going to the skip-shift solenoid, and plug in a resistor (in place of the solenoid) to keep the computer thinking everything is OK.

And, yes... a 1-3 skip would be better then a 1-4. But, it's not a natural shifting motion.

Also... to whoever is using hi-po (Vette, CTSv) cars w/ 6-speed manuals to argue that 6-speeds doesn't equal a crappy torque curve... Those cars have a double overdrive, so it's more like a 4-speed. That kinda works in favor of Oldsmoboi's case.

Maybe for Toyota. Their aggressize marketting and growth, and the more common recalls that are popping up (at least when compared to older Toyota), might come around and bite them. Maybe not though, they're intellegent and know how to run business. And it definately won't happen anytime soon.

Honda on the other hand, has always grown slowly and evenly. There has never really been a spike or dull period for Honda. They definately are a much more conservative company than Toyota, at least in most areas. As long as Honda doesn't become overconfident they probably will never end up like GM.

This is the same Honda that had a near 100% tranny failure rate. :rolleyes:

great, toyota idiot and hondaface asshole are at it again

Don't you ever have anything intelligent to post?

Probably not... but I have to give him credit where credit is due...

His comment just made me laugh my ass off! So much so that I might actually quote it in my sig.

I agree that skip shift, as it's currently set up, isn't a really graceful solution.  Would a 1-3-5-6 shift pattern work better do you think?

I don't think you need ANYTHING other than a normal 6-speed manual tranny.

Let ME decide if I want to skip shifts as I accelerate.....and usually, I do. Frequently I go 1st-2nd...and THEN sometimes into 4th....then 6th.....

But I almost always use 1st and 2nd to some extent.

The ONLY reason GM uses skip-shift is to get by the EPA tests so that Corvette doesn't succumb to a gas-guzzler tax.

I'd rather pay the gas-guzzler tax then have to deal with such a ridiculous system that NO OTHER high end sports car/sports sedan maker makes you deal with (other than the Viper...which has it too.)

V8 BMW 5-and-6 series with manual transmissions don't have any such feature.....neither does V8/manual Audi S4s.....or any manual tranny Porsche.....I could go on-and-on....

Sounds annoying. I would find some software to remove that if it were my car.

LOL

There is....I just haven't ordered it yet.

$19.95 from online Corvette parts suppliers.

Installs easily by any typical mechanic. Basically just a bypass "switch" that gets you around the skip-shift function and does NOT invalidate the warranty and does NOT interefere with the ECM, or any of the emissions stuff, or even any of the service diagnostics.

It's widely known and used by Corvette enthusiasts.....and one of my Managers that I work with, who has an '04 Z06, recently installed it on his car.

Yes, that is so annoying, when your going a little too fast for second, but too slow for 3rd, so instead of a surge of power, you get a gradual increase while you get back into the powerband. 5 and 6 speeds are an improvement over 4 speeds, but I dont think 7 or 8 is necessary, or of any benefit.

Well, I'd agree with you on a 5-6 speed being optimal.....however, the benefit of the Benz or Lexus 7-or-8 speed trannys is that the transmission is designed to totally skip gears as necessary on acceleration or deceleration in order to give you the proper gear for the driving conditions.

In other words, this is said to severly reduce the "hunting" sensation you might otherwise experience with a transmission with this many gears.

Example....cruising at 55mph in 8th gear in the Lexus. You floor it to pass on a two-lane. The tranny automatically selects, say, 3rd gear from 8th....DIRECTLY....instead of downshifting from 8, to 7, to 6, to 5, to 4. It's kind of like how you would do it in a manual.....you don't downshift a manual through the gears (typically) you grab the gear you need for the situation.

That's how the Benz 7-speed operates. While it wasn't my favorite tranny, it was pretty good at masking any sort of hunting between gears. It just always seemed to be in the right gear whether you were accelerating or decelerating.

I have it... it's great.  You unplug the wires going to the skip-shift solenoid, and plug in a resistor (in place of the solenoid) to keep the computer thinking everything is OK.

And, yes... a 1-3 skip would be better then a 1-4.  But, it's not a natural shifting motion.

Also... to whoever is using hi-po (Vette, CTSv) cars w/ 6-speed manuals to argue that 6-speeds doesn't equal a crappy torque curve... Those cars have a double overdrive, so it's more like a 4-speed.  That kinda works in favor of Oldsmoboi's case.

Ah yes....BUT

Regardless of what the actual ratios are, in my C6, only 6th gear "feels" like a long-geared "overdrive."

On the freeway, even in 5th the thing has ample torque to accelerate quickly. It's only 6th that seems to knock the breath out of it.

Thank you torque!

Well, I'd agree with you on a 5-6 speed being optimal.....however, the benefit of the Benz or Lexus 7-or-8 speed trannys is that the transmission is designed to totally skip gears as necessary on acceleration or deceleration in order to give you the proper gear for the driving conditions.

In other words, this is said to severly reduce the "hunting" sensation you might otherwise experience with a transmission with this many gears.

Example....cruising at 55mph in 8th gear in the Lexus.  You floor it to pass on a two-lane.  The tranny automatically selects, say, 3rd gear from 8th....DIRECTLY....instead of downshifting from 8, to 7, to 6, to 5, to 4.  It's kind of like how you would do it in a manual.....you don't downshift a manual through the gears (typically) you grab the gear you need for the situation.

That's how the Benz 7-speed operates.  While it wasn't my favorite tranny, it was pretty good at masking any sort of hunting between gears.  It just always seemed to be in the right gear whether you were accelerating or decelerating.

Wouldn't a dual clutch 6 speed be better for that? It can have the gear preselected. And at what cost do you get a slight benefit of having basically inbetween gears? If there would only be a 500-1000rpm difference in gears then is it really worth the added weight/cost/complexity? I assume it is not a small transmission, and would have adverse effects on packaging as well.

Example....cruising at 55mph in 8th gear in the Lexus.  You floor it to pass on a two-lane.  The tranny automatically selects, say, 3rd gear from 8th....DIRECTLY....instead of downshifting from 8, to 7, to 6, to 5, to 4.  It's kind of like how you would do it in a manual.....you don't downshift a manual through the gears (typically) you grab the gear you need for the situation.

That's how the Benz 7-speed operates.  While it wasn't my favorite tranny, it was pretty good at masking any sort of hunting between gears.  It just always seemed to be in the right gear whether you were accelerating or decelerating.

I think from the press releases, the most number of gears the 7 and 8 speeds can jump at a time is 2. I think a jump from 8 to 3 would be a bit drastic don't you?

Wouldn't a dual clutch 6 speed be better for that? It can have the gear preselected. And at what cost do you get a slight benefit of having basically inbetween gears? If there would only be a 500-1000rpm difference in gears then is it really worth the added weight/cost/complexity? I assume it is not a small transmission, and would have adverse effects on packaging as well.

I don't know what the Toyotas are like, but apparently GM managed to get their 6-speeds into a package smaller then their old 4-speeds.

Well, many modern 5-or-6 speed transmissions have somehow been even more compact than their historic 4-speed predecessors.....I think I read somewhere that the 6-speed in the Corvette and STS-v is actually smaller and lighter than the old 4T65-E...?

I like the idea of VW's DSG.....however, I'm only guessing that by offering up 7 or 8 ratios, you (the manufacturer) really is trying to give the consumer THE perfect ratio for whatever driving situation you are in.

I don't THINK I need 7 or 8 gears.....I like most modern 5-or-6 speed automatics. The 6-speed tranny BMW uses is one of my favorite all-time automatic transmissions.

What I don't like.....are CVTs.....

I think from the press releases, the most number of gears the 7 and 8 speeds can jump at a time is 2.  I think a jump from 8 to 3 would be a bit drastic don't you?

I don't know how many they can jump......but I do know that the 7-speed we had in the S500 never seemed to "hunt" and always seemed to pick the right gear for whatever the driving condition was. It never seemed to have "too many ratios or gears."

MY only bitch with the Benz 7-speed was that it was too easy to induce shudder in the driveline if you "tripped" it up....say by getting on the gas hard....then lifting suddenly....then getting back on it SOFTLY. OR, from a stop, you had to feather the throttle to get a smooth engagement of the torque-converter-clutch.....almost like it didn't have ENOUGH torque-converter-cusioning of the transmission...

Make sense???

:huh:

I don't know how many they can jump......but I do  know that the 7-speed we had in the S500 never seemed to "hunt" and always seemed to pick the right gear for whatever the driving condition was.  It never seemed to have "too many ratios or gears."

MY only bitch with the Benz 7-speed was that it was too easy to induce shudder in the driveline if you "tripped" it up....say by getting on the gas hard....then lifting suddenly....then getting back on it SOFTLY.  OR, from a stop, you had to feather the throttle to get a smooth engagement of the torque-converter-clutch.....almost like it didn't have ENOUGH torque-converter-cusioning of the transmission...

Make sense???

:huh:

I can do that in the CTS in non-sport mode. Tap the throttle enough to kick it down a gear then let up suddenly and the poor confused transmission says, "Now wait a minute here, I thought you said.... damnit.. ok!"

In sport mode, it will actually hold that lower gear and keep the engine revs high in anticipation of some more spirited driving. It'll only upshift if you cruise like that for a while or take it out of sport.

I think any automatic can be tripped up if you're trying to trip it up. They can't know when you're :censored: with them.

I can do that in the CTS in non-sport mode. Tap the throttle enough to kick it down a gear then let up suddenly and the poor confused transmission says, "Now wait a minute here, I thought you said.... damnit.. ok!"

I used to do that on the 93 Tracer I had... I'd punch the gas moderately, then at the end of the rev, ease up and the shift would go very smoothly, versus the drink-spilling shift it used to cause before.

In sport mode, it will actually hold that lower gear and keep the engine revs high in anticipation of some more spirited driving.  It'll only upshift if you cruise like that for a while or take it out of sport.

I think any automatic can be tripped up if you're trying to trip it up. They can't know when you're  :censored: with them.

I think he's complaining about the driveline shutter that accompanies it. That's the only advantage of FWD I can think of, well, apart from economy and snow performance.

You know what's nice... good news like this. (The Toyota tranny thing, looks like things diverged off-course.

Edited by MyerShift

Well, many modern 5-or-6 speed transmissions have somehow been even more compact than their historic 4-speed predecessors.....I think I read somewhere that the 6-speed in the Corvette and STS-v is actually smaller and lighter than the old 4T65-E...?

I like the idea of VW's DSG.....however, I'm only guessing that by offering up 7 or 8 ratios, you (the manufacturer) really is trying to give the consumer THE perfect ratio for whatever driving situation you are in.

I don't THINK I need 7 or 8 gears.....I like most modern 5-or-6 speed automatics.  The 6-speed tranny BMW uses is one of my favorite all-time automatic transmissions. 

What I don't like.....are CVTs.....

So then the question remains, would the money be better spent on dual clutch autos, or on 7-8 gears? I just pray they don't come up with a silly idea for a 7 or 8 speed manual.

O.C. is absolutely correct about skip-shift. It is complete garbage and I view it as potentially dangerous as it can really throw a driver buy not allowing expected accelleration during quick-reaction situations. As far as the 6spd. itself goes I have found that it depends on the setup of the engine. My Firehawk and my GTO act very differently even though both are LS1 6spds. Even around town all 6 speeds are useful in the GTO with its increased torque (different cam) vs. the Firehawk where 5th is often too high to use at slower cruising speeds.

Okay, for an outsider's perspective on skip-shift...

It saves you about $1,300 from the guzzler tax, but its defeatable with a $19.95 kit that is easy to install and doesn't interfere with anything in/on the car nor does it invalidate the warranty.

Net savings from GM to you - $1280.05. This nearly pays for Magnaride, the transparant roof set, or navigation.

What's the problem?

It saves you about $1,300 from the guzzler tax, but its defeatable with a $19.95 kit that is easy to install and doesn't interfere with anything in/on the car nor does it invalidate the warranty.

Net savings from GM to you - $1280.05. This nearly pays for Magnaride, the transparant roof set, or navigation.

What's the problem?

:lol::lol: Good point,Fly. Touche.

What's the problem?

The voice of reason enters....

What's the problem?

That sounds like "GM-Kool-Aid-Drinking" thinking.....

:lol:

(just kidding, Fly....)

O.C. is absolutely correct about skip-shift. It is complete garbage and I view it as potentially dangerous as it can really throw a driver by not allowing expected accelleration during quick-reaction situations. As far as the 6spd. itself goes I have found that it depends on the setup of the engine. My Firehawk and my GTO act very differently even though both are LS1 6spds. Even around town all 6 speeds are useful in the GTO with its increased torque (different cam) vs. the Firehawk where 5th is often too high to use at slower cruising speeds.

what is the difference in the cams? and i forget what is the torque of the hawk...if i remember the goat is at 365ish.

But honestly Camino its not like any of the Hawks gears are great for "slow" cruising.... :P

I bought a skip shift eliminator for the Firehawk and I'm glad I did. Haven't gotten around to getting one for the GTO yet, but I've only cursed the skip shift in that car a few times(always seem to have my foot in it enough to avoid the effect).

is the skip shift eliminator different for the Hawk vs. the Goat? or are they the same?

I don't have the specs at hand, but the cam was changed in the LS1 for use in the GTO to produce more torque at lower RPMs. Yes, the skip-shift is the same in both cars. The Hawk doesn't like to cruise slowly in a high gear, so I usually use 1-4 when I'm not on a high speed road. In all but the slowest conditions, I can use all 6 gears in the GTO.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef31962/3007

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out this pic. His brand new 07 Camry being hauled to the dealer at the back of a flatbed truck because of transmission failure. Yikes !!!!!!!!!

Not good Toyota.

Nice to see they Toyota is not God's gift to the auto world. Love the name of the dealership - RICE Toyota.

Maybe now people will realize that Toyota's not the bullet proof company they (and Toyota itself) thinks it is. All cars have problems, and the Camry seems to have a pretty ajor one. Has Toyota recalled it yet?

No news yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the press didn't double, triple, and quadruple-check their sources to see if maybe there was a typo...Toyota recall a car?!? What's next, honest politicians?

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...