mustang84

2007 Toyota Camry transmission issues?

Straight from Toyota Nation...the whole transmission had to be replaced, and it sounded like a couple other posters were having the same issue.

Hello Everyone,

Well, I picked up my car today from the dealership. My last post I wrote that I was going to pick up the car the same day that was last wednesday. Well, I did call the dealership before I went there to make sure the car was ready and sure so they said it was. So I went to drop of the rental car at enterprise, got them to give me a ride back to the dealership and as soon as I got there my service rep told me that the car would be almost done there where in the middle of programming to computer in the car that should take like 30 minutes. I was ok with it as long as I knew I was getting it back the same day. After 15 minutes, my service rep came out of the office and told me that there was a big issue but he needed more time before he could tell me and all of sudden I saw the same rental car that I had just dropped of coming back to the dealership. Well then after another 5 minutes or so, my service called me over and started to apologize that the car wasnt going to be ready because they couldnt program the computer and the techsupport staff had already left around 20 minutes ago. So they put me back in the rental and let me take that one up to PA cause that is where I spent my last couple of days. I returned yesterday and went this morning to pick up my car. They had to replace the whole transmission with a new one. I did as if it was rebuild and he said that since it is a new car, there are new rebuild ones yet and that this one is either brand new or the worst that the took it out of another 07 camry that was never used but he was 95% sure it was brand new. Well guys, I can tell you that the last couple of weeks were the worst experience that I had with toyota and I wish that everyone that bought a new car of any kind does not have to go through what I did. Thank you again for all the supports and if anyone has any questions for me, please feel free to ask.

Thanks again everyone

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128303

Guest Josh

So wait let me get this right. You take your car to the dealership, they first f@#k it up, know they f@#ked it up then tried to pull the wool over your eyes and say "hey, we'll pay for your taxi cab ride back home" then when you go to pick up your car a weekend later......find out they f@#ked it up so bad they have to replace your transmission with a rebuilt one or "partially rebuilt one"

Are you kidding me?

I don't buy it.

He was "95% sure it was a new one"? C'mon... it's either new or it isn't. And how old could it be? This is the first 6-speed auto to go into FWD Toyota. I'd go with new.

But still, something doesn't add up.

I think everyone forgets that Toyota had to recall and replace the Lexus LS430's 6-sp auto when it first came out. 'Six' just isn't a lucky number for Toyota. Maybe "Eight" will do better :P

Make / Models :           Model/Build Years:     

LEXUS / LS 430       2004

Type:  PASSENGER CAR 

Recall Number:  04V317000 

Summary:  

ON CERTAIN VEHICLES WHEN THE ACCELERATOR IS OPERATED QUICKLY, A SMALL PIECE OF METAL MAY SEPARATE FROM A RETAINING COLLAR LOCATED IN THE INNER PART OF THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. THIS SMALL PIECE OF METAL MAY BECOME CAUGHT IN THE PARKING LOCK MECHANISM. 

Consequence:  

THIS MAY CAUSE THE PARKING LOCK SYSTEM TO BE INOPERATIVE WHEN THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER IS PLACED IN THE PARK POSITION, THEREBY INCREASING THE RISK OF VEHICLE ROLL-AWAY, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH. 

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.

Sounds like they are trying to cut some corners so they can produce more and sell them to old people, tisk tisk toyota!

my 80+ year old father in law and 65 year old dad (both LIFETIME GM diehards) were both commenting oddly enough this past weekend about 'how nice those new toyotas are'. My dad was oogling a four year old LAVALON in his parking garage, and he's got some bitter revenge against GM because it will cost him a lot to replace the four struts in his 92 yes 1992 Seville (we expect em to last forever you know). The seville with only 75,000 miles on it.

When the old midwesterners start getting wood for toyota, and they start to eat trannies, i guess i would have to say maybe the times they are a changing muh friend.

Edited by regfootball

my 80+ year old father in law and 65 year old dad (both LIFETIME GM diehards) were both commenting oddly enough this past weekend about 'how nice those new toyotas are'.  My dad was oogling a four year old LAVALON in his parking garage, and he's got some bitter revenge against GM because it will cost him a lot to replace the four struts in his 92 yes 1992 Seville (we expect em to last forever you know).  The seville with only 75,000 miles on it.

When the old midwesterners start getting wood for toyota, and they start to eat trannies, i guess i would have to say maybe the times they are a changing muh friend.

Funny thing, but my similar experience. A couple summers ago my boss, who has bought Cadillacs pretty much all his life, was talking to me about how nice those Honda Odysseys are. I was being nice and just nodding my head, but in my mind I was thinking "you dolt, you drive an STS...why are you even looking at Odysseys?" Well, it turns out the Odyssey was what his son was considering since they had a kid on the way, but being a life-long GMer in the conservative Midwest and talking about how nice those Hondas are, it worries me that GM is losing a lot of traditional customer base.

On the other hand, in my hometown at least, everyone that drives a brand new Honda or Toyota is a blue hair. Even here in Ames, a good many of the people I see in Camrys are the upper tier of the baby boomers who are now in their 50s pushing 60. It seems like Toyota is wooing the older generations, but the younger generations are still a mixed bag between imports and domestics. That's why GM really needs to concentrate on attracting the young market...because while they may not have the money now for a purchase, they will eventually.

I've been seeing a lot of people in their 40's and 50's driving the 2007 Camry's on the road.

geez, the AOD in my workbeater 91 grand marquis has 230k on it, with nothing more than a fluid change (thats right, just ONE fluid change in 16 yrs) and it's still shifting fine. all i can say about toyota's trans issues is....... FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!

My father is 73 and is considering an 07 Camry XLE to replace his 98 Buick LeSabre Limited. I want him to consider a Lucerne but he just doesn't like it much.

Even if I show him this thread he probably won't change his mind. I left an Impala brochure at his house but he won't even look at it. That is sad, my dad was a lifelong GM customer and the last car he will probably drive will be a Toyota. :deadhorse:

My father is 73 and is considering an 07 Camry XLE to replace his 98 Buick LeSabre Limited.  I want him to consider a Lucerne but he just doesn't like it much.

Even if I show him this thread he probably won't change his mind.  I left an Impala brochure at his house but he won't even look at it. That is sad, my dad was a lifelong GM customer and the last car he will probably drive will be a Toyota. :deadhorse:

You must continue to fight him! Throw yourself down on the dealer's desk before he signs papers! :lol:

Toyota & Honda are attracting the same demographic that brought Olds and Buick to great heights just to see the greatest declines in auto history. If history repeats itself that would be great because, Toyota will be as stodgy as Buick was and Honda would be as fogey as Olds was. I just see that this growth can't last forever. Buick, Saturn, Mercury, Chrysler, & Hyundai will really start to hit the Japanese hard over the next 10 years.

Toyota & Honda are attracting the same demographic that brought Olds and Buick to great heights just to see the greatest declines in auto history. If history repeats itself that would be great because, Toyota will be as stodgy as Buick was and Honda would be as fogey as Olds was. I just see that this growth can't last forever. Buick, Saturn, Mercury, Chrysler, & Hyundai will really start to hit the Japanese hard over the next 10 years.

DOWN WITH TOYOTA!!!! :pbjtime:

Carman's right: Oldsmobile peaked in 1987, the year the Legend debuted - then it was downhill every year after that. Obviously, GM lent a helping hand in Olds and Buick's demise, but the same people who would have bought an Olds 25 years ago are now buying Hondas.

I personally believe the cycle will come full circle: The old cliche about becoming a victim of your own success. I see a lot of 60 and 70 year old customers, who normally would buy GM being badgered into Toyotas and Hondas by their spawn.

Our company owns a couple Toyota stores and Chevrolet. As I say to prospects all the time: the Toyota store has a much bigger service area and it is never empty!

Working at a toyota dealership we have seen about 3 new v6 camrys come in with new transmission problems. Today rumors are that they have fixed the problem. About 2 weeks ago it seems toyota held back the second round of 2007 camrys for about 2 weeks in the compound in Toronto. I am wondering if they fixed the tranny issues because it seams that the very first camrys are suffering from this problem.

Torque Converter seems to be problem in the 2007 camry acting up. So they end up placing the whole tranny. It also seems that Lexus has delayed the launch of the ES 350 due to the tranmission problem which is built in Japan. But i think toyota has fixed the problem with the second batch of camry. We have been deliverying them for about 2 weeks and no tranmission problems to date.

There are bound to be bugs in the first cars of a redesign but there really is no excuse for it. The problems to have been worked out beforehand.

There are bound to be bugs in the first cars of a redesign but there really is no excuse for it.  The problems to have been worked out beforehand.

Yes, someone should have told GM that aboutthe Saturn Ion

HAHAHA toyota!

Sounds like they are trying to cut some corners so they can produce more and sell them to old people, tisk tisk toyota!

DOWN WITH TOYOTA!!!! :pbjtime:

How old are you?

With all due respect, anectodal reports is not evidence...I haven't heard of any tranny problems on the first 50 out the door...

The reports of new Camrys being held up at the Toronto compound so the problem could be fixed were from a reliable source.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook