Sales: June 2012 - General Motors

GM Reports June U.S. Sales up 16 percent

DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) today reported June sales of 248,750 vehicles in the United States, up 16 percent year over year and the company’s highest sales since September 2008. Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac all reported double-digit increases.

“Across the board, June was a strong month for GM,” said Kurt McNeil, vice president, U.S. Sales Operations. “The combination of new products, available credit, lower fuel prices and modest economic growth was a stronger influence on consumer behavior than economic and political uncertainty."

For the month, GM passenger car sales were up 12 percent year over year, thanks to a 32 percent increase in Chevrolet Malibu sales and a 21 percent increase in Buick LaCrosse sales.

Combined sales of all seven Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac crossovers were up 30 percent versus a year ago.

Truck sales were up 11 percent, with all pickup, van and SUV segments up year over year.

Retail deliveries were up 8 percent year over year. Fleet deliveries were up 36 percent versus a year ago due in part to the timing of customer deliveries. In July, fleet volumes and mix are expected be down month over month and year over year.

GM’s newest vehicles continue to perform well. Sales of the Buick Verano were 4,091 in June, and have increased each month since the car launched in December 2011. Chevrolet Sonic sales were 6,785 units and it is the retail sales leader in its segment. The new Cadillac XTS began arriving in showrooms in June, and dealers delivered more than 750 vehicles. Over the course of 2012 and 2013, 70 percent of GM’s nameplates will be all-new or redesigned.

View full article

Chevrolet Cruze showing weakness. Product has grown stale, and timing of updates is too long coming... traditional GM failures coming back to haunt. Spiffy Sonic doing well in the segment, but not going gangbusters. Shows that Americans still want bigger vehicles, even when a smaller one is as feature-laden.

Malibu not too bad, GM's best selling car for the month, but we're not sure how the new-style model is selling, really, with the outgoing one still current. I believe when the 2.5L comes on, Malibu sales will go nowhere but up.

Camaro doing well a few years on, even without all the crazy submodels Ford brings with Mustang. A strong product.

Colorado not doing bad for its advanced age... to show increases on such an old vehicle proves to me that compact trucks can still be relevant... HELLO, Ford and Ram?

GM fullsize truck, even combined, still 10k sales less than F-series... the unstoppable juggernaut.

Look at Verano go! It's doing great, already outselling its bigger sister, Regal, YTD, and it hasn't been out all year. Plus it is a brand new name for Buick to introduce... the Regal name alone should have huge name recognition on its side. Something needs to be done with the Regal.

Edited by ocnblu

Verano = cheapest Buick. To me, it's the new age Grand Am. "I don't want a Chevy but still the cheapest GM small car".

Chevy needs engine upgrades in the Cruze. A 1.6 or 1.8 turbo and a standard 2.0. I think some folks may be flaked out by a 1.4.

Cruze needs rebates now. They can't hold up the big pricing forever....

Should be interesting to see if the 13 Malibu sales stumble because of no back seat....they had better have MAJOR leasing specials out of the gate.

Verano = cheapest Buick. To me, it's the new age Grand Am. "I don't want a Chevy but still the cheapest GM small car".

Chevy needs engine upgrades in the Cruze. A 1.6 or 1.8 turbo and a standard 2.0. I think some folks may be flaked out by a 1.4.

Cruze needs rebates now. They can't hold up the big pricing forever....

Should be interesting to see if the 13 Malibu sales stumble because of no back seat....they had better have MAJOR leasing specials out of the gate.

Although it is wildly better than the Grand Am ever thought of being...