Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
William Maley

Quick Review: 2012 Chevrolet Volt

11 posts in this topic

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

July 3, 2012

2011 was a tumultuous year for the Chevrolet Volt: sales didn't meet the high expectations set by General Motors, dealers had problems trying to get them off their lot, and then there was the battery fires which prompted a recall and a congressional hearing.

2012 so far is turning out to be a much better year for the Volt. Currently, the Volt is outselling Chevrolet's other halo car, the Corvette. (7,057 Volts vs. 5,547 Corvettes) and is on track to hit 20,000 units before the end of the year.

gallery_10485_438_514058.png

It seemed like a perfect time to revisit the Volt and wonder if it could reach the 20,000 mark.

Has anything changed since the last time the Volt visited the C&G Garage?

The big news for the 2012 Volt was a price drop to $39,995 (includes a $850 destination charge). To accomplish that, Chevrolet removed some of the standard features for the 2011 model and made them options. If you want your 2012 Volt to be like the 2011 model, you will have to pony up some more money. Also, the 2012 Volt comes with option of Chevrolet's MyLink Infotainment which adds the ability of playing Pandora and Stitcher internet radio. Other than that, the Volt is pretty much the same.

Next: The Exterior & Interior

So, the exterior is the same?

Since its last visit to the Cheers and Gears garage in February 2011, the Volt's exterior hasn't changed much. The front end features a fascia that is integrated well into the hood and front fenders to help improve aerodynamics. Also, the front end features a closed shield grill and projector headlights that extend into the front fenders. The side profile shows off the Volt's aerodynamic shape very well and features a chrome strip running underneath the windows. The Volt's back end is tall and has a squared off shape that is hidden by a spoiler.

And the Interior?

Also unchanged. Stepping into the Volt for the first time feels like you have entered the future. The Volt's instrument cluster says farewell to analog gauges and uses a large LCD screen to display all of the necessary information clearly. The center stack is mostly comprised of capacitive-touch controls that are simple to use, except in direct sunlight where its difficult to figure out which button does what. Sitting on top of the stack is a LCD touchscreen that handles climate, audio, economy information, and the optional navigation system.

gallery_0_438_809922.png

One thing that could upset buyers about the Volt are some of the materials used for the dash. The center stack and certain parts of the interior use hard plastics. Even though the plastics are nicely grained and help cut down on weight, some buyers would expect better quality materials for the price.

As for interior space, the Volt has enough headroom for both front and rear seat passengers. Legroom does come at premium, especially for the back seat passengers due to the placement of the battery.

Next: Powertrain, Fuel Economy, Charging, and Verdict.

What about the powertrain? How does it drive?

The Volt comes equipped with an electric motor delivering 111 kW (149 HP) and 368 lb-ft of torque. The electric power comes from a large 5.5 ft., 435 lb., t-shaped 16-kWh lithium-ion battery pack that is mounted in the middle of the vehicle. The final piece of the Volt's powertrain is a 84 HP 1.4L engine acting as a generator once you deplete the battery, giving you an extra 300 miles.

gallery_0_438_707273.png

Driving the Volt is like driving any other vehicle, albeit with barely any engine noise. Acceleration is very surprising due to low end torque of the electric motor. Getting up to speed on freeway onramps or leaving a stoplight was no problem for the Volt.

The transition from the Volt running on electric power alone, to using the gas engine is very seamless. The only giveaways that the transition has happened are the battery gauge changing to a gas gauge in the gauge screen and the slight hum from the 1.4L engine.

The Volt's handling is very planted, likely due to the placement of the 435 lb. battery. But it's also tuned for comfort, floating along the rough surfaces that dot the Detroit area. If you're expecting a quiet ride, you'll get it under 50 MPH. Over 50 MPH and you'll be able to make out road noise, especially in the back.

Steering also follows the comfort route, feeling light and somewhat "numb".

Fuel Economy?

The EPA rates the Volt at 95 City/93 Highway/94 Combined on EV power and 35 City/40 Highway/37 Combined when the gasoline engine kicks on. My average for the time I had the Volt was around 50 MPG. I'm betting the average would be higher if I had not taken a 100 Mile round-trip on the freeway and the battery only having a 20 Mile charge. Once the battery was depleted and the gas engine kicked in, the averaged dropped from 50 MPG to the low to mid 40's.

If you want the max fuel economy out of your Volt, stay within the 40 Mile EV range.

How long did it take to charge the battery?

Chevrolet says to charge a depleted Volt battery takes about four hours with the 240V charger or ten to twelve hours when using the 120V charger. I matched the ten to twelve hours charge time for a depleted battery. As for when the battery is about halfway used, charging time is about five to six hours.

gallery_10485_438_964194.png

And the verdict?

The Volt appears to have survived its first year with some minor bumps and bruises. The press about the fires and poor sales seem to be going away. In its place are the positives of the Volt; the quietness of the powertrain, extended range provided by the gas engine, and driving like a normal car. Some will balk at the high price and not getting that many luxuries. But with the Volt, you're buying it for the technologies. If you want luxuries, there's the Cadillac ELR coming in 2014.

The Chevrolet Volt solves one of the biggest problems plaguing electric vehicles; range anxiety. And people are beginning to take notice. Can it reach 20,000 sales? The answer looks to be yes.

Before I end this review, I need to make a note about electric vehicles in general. At this present time, electric vehicles aren't quite ready for primetime, but they're getting close. The problems are still price and battery capacity. The Volt might be the best comprise for an electric car, but it still falls into the price problem as other EVs. Electric vehicles are for small audience, despite almost everyone wanting one.

If you really have your heart set on an electric vehicle, be prepared to ask some difficult questions and doing some homework on your driving habits. Because that could make difference owning an electric or making an expensive mistake.

Disclaimer: General Motors provided the vehicle, insurance, and one tank of gas.

Year - 2012

Make - Chevrolet

Model - Volt

Trim - N/A

Engine - 1.4L Four-Cylinder, Voltec Electric Drive System

Driveline - Front Wheel Drive, Automatic

Horsepower @ RPM - 149 HP

Torque @ RPM - 368 @ 0 RPM

Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 95 City/93 Highway/94 Combined (EV Power), 35 City/40 Highway/37 Combined (Range Extender)

Curb Weight - 3781 lbs

Location of Manufacture - Detroit, Michigan

Base Price - $39,145.00

As Tested Price - $44,970.00 (Includes $850.00 Destination Charge)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

Yes, fair and balanced. Facts are nice.

Awesome read, Amazing is that last year, the dealerships had volts on the lots in Seattle, but I saw NONE on the road, this week alone, I have seen 3 volts all different color and yesterday on the bus ride home from work saw two more. Could have been the same as I saw earlier, but still 5 volt sitings in a matter of 3 days compared to none up till then does show the car is growing in popularity.

Forgot about the volt I saw on my weekend road trip with the wife. Funny we saw it and then pulled in for gas and at the gas station was a California Licenses prius and they were putting Oil into the engine and Tranny fluid in also. They told me it has been that way ever since they bought it new. Always used fluid but does not leak on the ground, so not sure where it goes, but their toyota dealership could not find any problems, so they just check every time they gas up and they now are approaching 80K miles.

For me, I would have demanded a new car as that one is clearly a lemon.

Back to the volt, we ran into the one that I passed at a winery in Eastern Washington. Owned by a woman who just loves it. She said she gave a fair test drive to both the Volt and the prius as the Nisson Leaf did not meet her needs of being able to go anywhere. The prius was nice but to small inside and she felt the Volt was and now proven as it was her second weekend out on road trips with friends since buying it. There were many people there that looked at the womans car and liked what they saw. To quote one guy. Seems america finally got a good mid size car to compete against those tiny imports.

If people can get this kind of positive, then we will see more people supporting American Made auto's.

GM keep up the drive for Quality built products.

Yes, Gm keep up the drive!

Saw a red/maroon volt get pulled over bny the Ohio State Highway patrol today...

Glad to see the Volt doing well!

I'd totally lease a volt if i was in better economic shape and my commute was like 20 miles or so.

I'd take one, if I could afford it.

I still don't want one.

I think many fail to remember that the Prius has a slow start up before it became a poster child for the all that must be done to save the planet car.

Now if they can just work on the price I think they will be a much more common sight on the roads.

I see them here nearly daily anymore and I can't say that for the Leaf. In fact I see more ZR1 Vettes around here than Leafs.

In fact this month Zero Leafs and 1 ZL1 Camaro and about a dozen Volts.

While it is not my dream car I could live with one if I had too. It would make a great beat around town car or work car but I would need a Camaro or Vette in the Garage to have some fun. But I would say the same if I owned a Cruze too.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      While this year at Nissan is all about the pickup truck, last year it was the ‘Year of the Sedan’. We saw the introduction of the redesigned Maxima, along with refreshes of the Altima and Sentra. There was one slight problem. Compared to the Maxima which stood out with a sharp design, the Altima and Sentra just existed with no real item of note. But maybe there is something to either model that is hidden away. I decided to find out as a 2016 Nissan Sentra SR came in for a week-long evaluation.

Nissan isn’t going to take home any awards for the design of the 2016 Sentra. Designers took the 2013 model and made some small changes such as adding a new front clip to help bring the Sentra in line with the current design language, and a more distinctive character line. One change that is worth mentioning about the Sentra’s design is the new SR trim. This trim adds some sporty touches such as a mesh grille insert, sill extensions for the lower body, seventeen-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with a dark finish, rear spoiler, and a chrome exhaust tip. These touches help the Sentra stand out in a crowded field.

Like the Sentra’s exterior, the interior hasn’t seen any major changes. The design is very conservative with some flowing lines and contrasting trim pieces (silver and piano black). There is a mix of hard and soft touch materials used throughout the interior. Our Sentra tester featured a set optional leather seats that we found to provide decent support for short trips. We did wish the front seats did offer more thigh support on longer trips. The Sentra does have an ace up its sleeve when it comes to the back seat. In most compact cars, the back seat is something you would use sparingly due to the small amount of head and legroom. In the Sentra, the amount of head and legroom can give some midsize sedans a run for their money. I happen to be 5’8” and I had more than enough space to feel very comfortable. The trunk is also large for the class with 15.1 cubic feet of space.

Most Sentra models will come equipped a five-inch touchscreen with NissanConnect. This system isn’t one of our favorites for a number of reasons. The interface looks dated when compared to other systems. Not helping matters are some odd omissions from it. For example, if you want to pause an iPod or whatever you have plugged into the USB input, you’ll need to turn down the volume all the way to zero. Why not a pause button?! We also had issues with the system crashing our iPod. The only upsides are the interface being easy to use and providing snappy performance.

Power comes from a 1.8L four-cylinder with 130 horsepower and 128 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with either a six-speed manual (only available on the S and FE+ S) or Nissan’s Xtronic CVT (standard on SV and above, optional on S and FE+ S). Performance is lethargic as the Sentra’s engine takes its sweet time to get up to speed. You can put your foot to the floor and there isn’t any difference in how fast the vehicle climbs up in speed. On the positive side, the engine is fairly muted when accelerating around town. Nissan’s Xtronic CVT is one of the better offerings on sale as it doesn’t have the ‘rubber-band’ effect (engine rpm climbs up before dropping back down).

The upside to the low power numbers is fuel economy. The Sentra SR is rated by the EPA at 29 City/38 Highway/32 Combined. Our average for the week was 32.4 mpg.

If you’re looking for a compact that feels like a bigger vehicle in terms of ride, the Sentra is the ticket. No matter the type of road you find yourself driving on, the Sentra’s suspension provides a smooth and relaxed ride. We do wish Nissan had added some more sound deadening around the vehicle as you can hear road and tire noise on the highway. Around corners, the Sentra shows little roll and seems to change direction quickly. The steering feels very light which is ok around town, not so much when driving on a curvy road.

The 2016 Nissan Sentra doesn’t really stand out in a highly competitive compact car marketplace. Compared with competitors in a number of key areas, the Sentra either finishes in the middle or bottom. The only real plus points are a large back seat and trunk, along with a price tag that won’t break the bank. The Sentra begins at $16,780 for the base S and climbs to $22,170 for the SL. Our SR came equipped with a couple of option packages that added adaptive cruise control, a forward collision mitigation system, leather seats, Bose sound system, and a few other features brings the as-tested price to $25,245. Considering a number of these features are only available on higher trim models of competitors, the Sentra becomes quite the value.

Is there anything special to the 2016 Nissan Sentra SR? After spending a week in it, I have to say no. This is a model that is aimed at those who just need a vehicle that can get them from point a to b without any fuss. If you’re looking for something more, there are a lot of options in the compact segment that are worthy of a closer look.

Disclaimer: Nissan Provided the Sentra, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2016
      Make: Nissan
      Model: Sentra
      Trim: SR
      Engine: 1.8L DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: CVT, Front-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 130 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 128 @ 3,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 29/38/32
      Curb Weight: 2,920 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Aguascalientes, Mexico
      Base Price: $20,410
      As Tested Price: $25,245 (Includes $835.00 Destination Charge)

Options:
      Premium Package - $2,590
      Technology Package - $1,230
      Carpeted Floor Mats and Trunk Mat - $180.00
    • By William Maley
      When it comes to designing a vehicle, comprises must be made. If you want a vehicle to have a sharp profile, that means giving up a bit of interior space and glass area for example. The upcoming Chevrolet Bolt EV is no exception to this.

Automotive News reports that designers tasked with designing the production Bolt gave up some aerodynamic efficiency to improve overall interior space. The Bolt has a drag coefficient of 0.32, while the new Toyota Prius has a drag coefficient of 0.24.

“It’s a disaster for aero,” said Stuart Norris, lead designer on the Bolt.

To compensate for the poor aerodynamics, Norris and his team at GM's South Korea design studio by employing underbody paneling, spoiler, active grille shutters, and even adjusting the size of the A-pillar. Six full-size iterations of various Bolt designs went into the wind tunnel to figure out which tweaks worked.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Click here to view the article
    • By William Maley
      When it comes to designing a vehicle, comprises must be made. If you want a vehicle to have a sharp profile, that means giving up a bit of interior space and glass area for example. The upcoming Chevrolet Bolt EV is no exception to this.

Automotive News reports that designers tasked with designing the production Bolt gave up some aerodynamic efficiency to improve overall interior space. The Bolt has a drag coefficient of 0.32, while the new Toyota Prius has a drag coefficient of 0.24.

“It’s a disaster for aero,” said Stuart Norris, lead designer on the Bolt.

To compensate for the poor aerodynamics, Norris and his team at GM's South Korea design studio by employing underbody paneling, spoiler, active grille shutters, and even adjusting the size of the A-pillar. Six full-size iterations of various Bolt designs went into the wind tunnel to figure out which tweaks worked.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      With a supercharged 6.2L V8 producing 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 looks to be giving a number of sports car a run for their money. But getting into one will cost you a fair penny. Chevrolet has announced the Camaro ZL1 will begin at $62,135 for the coupe and $69,135 for the convertible. Both prices include destination.

“The Camaro ZL1 offers supercar performance with daily-driver refinement, a combination that stacks up against any other sports coupe – at any price – around the world,” said Steve Majoros, director of Chevrolet marketing.

If that is a bit too much, Chevrolet has the 1LE package available for the LT and SS models. The LT 1LE comes with FE3 suspension package with stabilizer bars, mechanical limited-slip differential, upgraded cooling system, and four-piston Brembo brakes up front. The SS 1LE features the FE4 suspension package with magnetic ride control, electronic limited slip differential, six-piston Brembo brakes, and a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires.

The 1LE adds $4,500 to the base price of the LT and $6,500 to the SS.

Source: Chevrolet

Press Release is on Page 2

2017 CAMARO ZL1 AND 1LE: GET USED TO OUR TAILLIGHTS
      Lighter, more powerful performance models put pricier competition in the rearview

DETROIT – The 2017 ZL1, the most powerful production Camaro ever, and the track-bred 1LE are designed to deliver exhilarating performance on both the open road and the road course, at prices that leave the competition behind.

When they go on sale later this year, the 2017 Camaro ZL1 will be priced at $62,135 for coupe models and $69,135 for convertibles. Prices include destination charge, but not tax, title and other dealer fees. The 1LE package is a $4,500 MSRP option on Camaro V-6 LT coupe models and $6,500 on the V-8 1SS coupe model. For LT coupes, the 1LE package features the Camaro SS’s FE3 suspension, while the 1SS benefits from the ZL1’s electronic limited-slip differential and FE4 suspension with Magnetic Ride dampers.

“The Camaro ZL1 offers supercar performance with daily-driver refinement, a combination that stacks up against any other sports coupe – at any price – around the world,” said Steve Majoros, director, Chevrolet marketing.

“Building on Chevrolet’s well-established recipe for track-focused performance, the new 1LE packages expand the performance envelope of the Camaro SS and, for the first time, the Camaro LT,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “You’ll be hard-pressed to find more track-capable cars in their respective classes for the money.”

ZL1
      0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds Quarter-mile in 11.4 seconds at 127 mph 1.02 g max cornering 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters) 220-pound (100 kg) weight reduction 650-horsepower (485 kW) supercharged LT4 6.2L V-8 engine

*ZL1 performance numbers achieved with a coupe equipped with the available 10-speed automatic transmission and using original-equipment tires on a non-prepped surface.

1LE
      0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds with Camaro LT 1LE 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds with Camaro SS 1LE 0.97 g max cornering with Camaro LT 1LE 1.02 g max cornering with Camaro SS 1LE 60-0 mph braking in 112 feet (34 meters) with Camaro LT 1LE 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters) with Camaro SS 1LE 230-pound (104 kg) weight reduction (SS 1LE to previous model)

• By William Maley
      The mid-engine Corvette is the rumor that won't die. This past year has seen speculation explode thanks to spy shots showing a mid-engine mule running around GM's Milford Proving Grounds. The Detroit News has published a report today saying the model would arrive in 2019 along with other details about the model.

We're going to give a summary of the most interesting bits from the report, but we highly recommend checking out the full piece.
      Has the codename of Emperor and is expected to debut in early 2018 (most likely Detroit) The goal for this model is to try and draw younger folks into buying a Corvette. The average age of a Corvette owner is around 59 years old. A source says the mid-engine Corvette will become the sole variant after 2021. This is when the current C7 Corvette will end production. Could be the basis for a sports car wearing the Cadillac badge Bob Lutz and former chief engineer for the Corvette, Tom Wallace said they got plans for a mid-engine Corvette approved in 2007. These plans would be shelved only a couple years later due to the bankruptcy.

Source: The Detroit News
  • Who's Online (See full list)