FAPTurbo

Help me buy a SMRT FONE

My venerable BlackBerry is just not cutting it anymore,

So I'd like to get something new. I'm not attached to one OS or brand, though I do find the Nokia 920 to be very compelling, as well as the Galaxy Note 2, But it doesn't matter, whether it's a Samsung, Motorola, Apple or HTC, I'm all ears.

I'll be using this phone for a lot of live-tweeting, quick in-a-pinch photography for blogging/publishing and as a modem for my tablet and laptop. So LTE is a necessity as is good battery life (hard to get both, usually)

What phones do C&G'ers use and why do they like them? Any recommendations?

Edited by Pervez Musharrfap

I have the Droid 4. Opted for it because I wanted a Droid and it was the best one available that had a physical keyboard.

I have the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. I like the big screen, relatively light weight, narrow case and long battery life. The front and rear facing cameras work well. 4GLTE coverage w/ Verizon works well w/ it.

My sister has the Droid 4 and is happy w/ it. It seems too thick and heavy to me, and I don't need the keyboard (I had a Droid 1 and liked it but rarely ever used the keyboard).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I have a Samsung galaxy s3. Its fantastic, having come from a droid incredible. The Samsung interface is smooth sleek and intuitive. It certainly stands out in a sea of android phones and isn't as limited as the iPhone. It does everything well except its poor take on Apple's siri, not that you would really want to be one of those people who have conversations with their phone.

I will always recommend the iPhone, and my latest 5 should be here anyday.

Strong battery life, all integrated and easy to use, and as my mother who was on her 4th Droid she couldn't stand or get to function with basic functions from time to time found out, it just works.

Apple limits files, etc. but in 4 or so years, I've never once had a single "I wish it did that". Ever. Even my fellow manager at work who said he'd never have anything but a Droid had his iPhone for 3 days and can't fathom how he ever used the previous.

Best recommendation? Get some hand time with them in a store and play with the apps and functionality, and feel. Phone test drive. Narrow it down. Lots of great choices. I will always be an Apple phone fan after my 1st. Each is better than the last. Worth a try.

If I were getting a phone soon, I'd be looking very intently at the Razr HD Maxx. Second choice would probably be the GS3.

I'm with caddycruiser. I switched from droid to iPhone and feel the same way. iPhone has integrated twitter. The camera is excellent. And voice dictation works fairly well.

Edited by JamesBond
spelling

I'm very happy with my Samsung Galaxy SII, and I look forward to having the Galaxy S3.... but not with Sprint. It is an awesome phone hampered by a sub-par network.

As for tweeting, you'll want Tweetdeck anyway if you are going to be doing anything like power tweeting. If you are just going to post "My cat is cute, tee hee" on twitter, then yes, the iPhone app is fine.

The camera in the Galaxy is quite good for a phone. Mine is 8mp and does camera duty for many of the pics you see in my reviews.

And voice dictation wors fairly well.

Were you using it for this post?

No I was typing on my iPad 10 finger style. Not the easiest thing to do.

Wow, so many of your are on your second gen smartphone, that's crazy. I'm still waiting for reasonable data rates in Canada before I get my first.

Palm Treo, Windows Mobile, Windows Mobile (again), HTC Hero, Samsung Galaxy II

Simultaniously

Blackberries of every generation going back to 2003. I've had to carry two cell phones since then.

It's looking like the Nexus 4 is the one to get. No LTE is a bummer, but Google is saying the camera's performance is much improved over the Galaxy Nexus. At $350 outright, I don't think a better bargain can be found.

I've had a couple Blackberrys in the past for work. I carry two phones now, my Droid Razr on Verizon and a company iPhone 5 on AT&T, not sure if I like it yet..

Samsung Droid :metal: They rock, have my whole family on them. They love em.

I picked up at Galaxy Note 2 yesterday to replace my two-year old HTC phone. I was planning to get the Galaxy S3, but the Note 2 has some compelling features. I also thought about waiting a few months for the GS4. I was apprehensive about the huge size of the Note 2, but I'll see how it goes. So far, battery life is great, unlike that of the GS3. I also use a BlackBerry Bold for work. Its only redeeming quality is long battery life. I can't see RIM being around much longer.

Strong battery life, all integrated and easy to use, and as my mother who was on her 4th Droid she couldn't stand or get to function with basic functions from time to time found out, it just works.

Apple limits files, etc. but in 4 or so years, I've never once had a single "I wish it did that". Ever. Even my fellow manager at work who said he'd never have anything but a Droid had his iPhone for 3 days and can't fathom how he ever used the previous.

Best recommendation? Get some hand time with them in a store and play with the apps and functionality, and feel. Phone test drive. Narrow it down. Lots of great choices. I will always be an Apple phone fan after my 1st. Each is better than the last. Worth a try.

That's pretty much my experience with the iPhone. I recommend it too :yes:

Except the IPhone is great at passing on Viruses, removing everyone from Outlook calendar events, does not sync with security proticols and for those of us that are not graphically induced to follow a lemming company on what you can and cannot do confusing.

Before the Flame mail starts, check out apples web site as they admit with the iPhone 5 they broke security and outlook exchange email. Isilon a company I work for has plenty of apple products and so many peole have gotten things screwed up due to all the bugs in the 5.

I suggest holding off till after the new year if you want a iPhone 5 and give them time to fix all the bugs.

Except the IPhone is great at passing on Viruses, removing everyone from Outlook calendar events, does not sync with security proticols and for those of us that are not graphically induced to follow a lemming company on what you can and cannot do confusing.

Before the Flame mail starts, check out apples web site as they admit with the iPhone 5 they broke security and outlook exchange email. Isilon a company I work for has plenty of apple products and so many peole have gotten things screwed up due to all the bugs in the 5.

I suggest holding off till after the new year if you want a iPhone 5 and give them time to fix all the bugs.

Interesting... I'm still on a 32GB iPhone 4. Company phone.

Interesting... I'm still on a 32GB iPhone 4. Company phone.

My son is also on that phone provided by his company and loves it. He works for a small tech start up and they asked everyone to hold off on upgrading the OS to the latest till Apple fix's the exchange issues and the security log in issues. He still told me at our required family dinner on sunday that he plans to get the 5 when the fix's are out. It sure is playing hell at work for me as so many people who I have meetings with end up removing them by accident when they read mail as it just totally screws up the calendar.

The Note 2 is my dream phone. I love almost everything about it, except the price. I can afford the $700 for it, but I have reservations plunking down that kind of money on a phone.

The iPhone 5 is a great product, as much as I deride Apple. But the screen is just too small for me and I find myself having trouble using the keyboard. Add in the Apple ecosystem and it's just not for me.

I think I'll end up getting a lightly used HTC One X and keep it over the winter. Prices on them have plummeted after the S3 and Nexus 4 releases.

Edited by Pervez Musharrfap

I've been happy w/ my work iPhone 5...my company does everything w/ gmail and Google docs, no old-school MS stuff... :)

I've been happy w/ my work iPhone 5...my company does everything w/ gmail and Google docs, no old-school MS stuff... :)

You actually like Gmail and Google docs???? The gmail interface sucks, not user friendly IMO and Google Doc's has so many limitations that you cannot really use it for group work.

Sorry, but I will stay with Sharepoint and Office Professional as the only real business tools and exchange.

You actually like Gmail and Google docs???? The gmail interface sucks, not user friendly IMO and Google Doc's has so many limitations that you cannot really use it for group work.

Sorry, but I will stay with Sharepoint and Office Professional as the only real business tools and exchange.

I use Open Office when I have to do editing on my laptop....but Google Docs work great for my company (a small group of consultants)...we use Google+ as well...we avoid any Microsoft products since those don't work well on Macs. We also use the Atlassian suite of products (Confluence instead of Sharepoint, Jira, etc), Amazon S3 for our servers, etc...we try and do everything cloud based...occasionally I have to pull a project plan/task list out of Atlassian Jira and put it in Excel for clients that are stuck in the MS ecosystem, though.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I still love my Galaxy Note 1/N7000. Running a leaked JB Rom before the official one arrives in the next month or so and with a new battery (old one went downhill after about a year), I'm getting 2 days out of it now, 3-4 hrs screen time with 100+ push emails a day no problem.

Edited by frogger

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook