2014 Impala Order Guide Now Available

GM Has posted the 2014 Impala ordering guide online, I guess these things must be hitting the road sooner than we thought- maybe January or February. It appears the 2LT and LTZ will be the only vehicles available at launch, with standard V6 power. The LS and 1LT will be 2.5L only and will be coming in Q2 with the Eco coming by year end.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2013&butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=3&vehicleID=13882&type=0

You guys can draw your own conclusions but I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the packaging. Seems to be packaged worse than the Malibu,

No leather available on the 2LT, which doesn't match well against the Taurus or Charger which offer optional leather in their mid-range trim levels. Also doesn't seem entirely fair that in order to get the heated leatherette/microfiber seats (incl. w/ Comfort Package), they make you also buy the advanced safety package with all the electronic nannies which, while, cool, probably add 1200-1400 extra to the car in addition to the 800-1100 the Comfort package itself adds. Is there any rational reason why I shouldn't be able to get heated seats without cross-traffic alert and vice versa? I can't think of one, although I suspect Canadian optioning will be different slightly as it often is, and may offer the Comfort Package as a standalone considering the climate.

No exposed dual exhaust on the 2LT even though you paid for the V6, only the LTZ gets that for some reason while you make do with hidden exhaust with the turned down tips. On the Malibu if you pony up for the turbo they give you the visible exhaust with the polished tips regardless of trim level.

Also no color whatsoever inside this car. You can get the Jet Black/Mojave leather if you pony up for the LTZ but otherwise your interior choices are Black, Black/Dark Gray, and that absolutely nasty all-Brown interior from the showcar. I was kinda hoping for some sort of Cocoa/Light Neutral or similar lighter colored interior as they are far and away my preference.

I suppose if this is what I was buying next year (and lately I've been going back and forth between this and a Verano Turbo) I would have the 2LT with the Convenience Package, Black/Dark Titanium interior in either Black or Blue Ray.

Chevy often offers a LT2 package with a special package that often includes the V6, larger wheels, chome duel exhaust and a few other options. We got this on the Malibu much cheaper and pretty much had a LTZ for a lot less and only missing the multi disc changer, power passenger seat and a few other odd options.

I suspect we will see this as production gets going and they start to play the marketing games.

They did a similar package on the Terrain too. This time it was called the chome and technology package and it offer a big cut on price for the V6, Chrome Package, 19" wheels and NA/audio system.

I'd get a 2LT with sound & wheel package in Blue Ray but I wish the Mojave interior colour were available in cloth and vinyl. I too am disappointed in the interior colour selections.

EDIT: saw the black and brown over at Road&Track magazine's web gallery. It doesn't look too bad in their photo. It is dark brown though, with brown carpet and partial dark brown hard trim, so I guess it will be paired with Champagne, either of the two whites, or black. It doesn't seem to go with any of the other exterior hues, imo. Although... they have it paired with the ice blue in the gallery.

Edited by ocnblu

That's the all black interior above. I suppose the Black/Dark Titanium would have a medium gray on the tops of the IP, the seats, tops of the door panel and the center armrest. Probably would bring a little more light into the car...

I like the dark woodgrain trim, and the tan stitching and piping on the seats in the photo I posted above of the black interior. Also, I don't think the black and dark brown look too bad. The Mojave looks orange-y in the photos, I will really need to see it in real life. I wonder why we keep getting conflicting depictions of the Mojave colour, it's bugging me now. The black and gray sounds pretty good if the gray is the right shade, and I guess the gray woodgrain trim will be in with that.

I think the black/brown will be very much an acquired taste, some people will absolutely love it but I look at it and I can't help but think about why you don't wear a brown belt with black shoes and vice versa. I very much like that it has the -real- brushed aluminum trim though, that's a real plus. Also like the driftwood colored woodgrain on the Mojave interior as well. Puts me in mind of the driftwood trim in the later high-spec LeSabres from 2003-05. The woodgrain in the above picture is good too- tastefully applied and it doesn't look as over the top or fake as the stuff they put in the Malibu with a trowel. From that perspective, on this car you really can't lose.

the real world price transition from 13 to 14 impala will be like 10 grand or more. they prob will sell the 13 and 14 side by side for quite sometime. so chevy will set it up so the cheapskates can only buy the 13 cheap. they will extort the early adopters on the 14 so that is why they will make you pay for the extra stuff. Also the malibu fits in, so if you don't want an LS 13 impala, but you don't want to pay 35k for a 14 impala, then they are basically forcing you into the middle ground, the malibu. they will probably limit production for the 14 too while they build it side by side with the 13.

They should like it in China. They like things that have faces in their design.

The Steering wheel was the one thing I did take from the photo's that needed changed ASAP. I am not sure who is designing GM's Wheels but they have missed the mark in a few cars. THe first wheel in the Camaro was the worst.

Oh that steering wheel... :palm:

Agreed, it looks like it is from a 90s Crown Vic or something. The top of the dash with the dual cockpit look and the leather thing above the steering wheel looks too busy. The gauges and center stack look good, but that steering wheel area is a disaster.

The dash is overly busy... and the top dual cockpit trim doesn't seem to fit well. The last Malibu pulled off such a design in a much cleaner way, IMO. Is a bench seat version going to be available? That might explain the lack of center stack integration w/ the console...

The dash is overly busy... and the top dual cockpit trim doesn't seem to fit well. The last Malibu pulled off such a design in a much cleaner way, IMO. Is a bench seat version going to be available? That might explain the lack of center stack integration w/ the console...

No, GM has said in a press release earlier this month that the current Impala will be the last one.

DETROIT – When the 2014 Chevrolet Impala arrives next year it will put to rest a fixture of automobiles since the days of the horseless carriage – the front bench seat. The outgoing Impala is the last passenger car in production in North America to offer three-across front seating, an option that that ends with the introduction of Chevy’s redesigned flagship sedan.

The passing of the front bench seat into automotive history is expected to transpire without notice from many car buyers. Only one in 10 Impala buyers chose the $195 option last year on the LS and LT models. For many of today’s car buyers, front bucket seats are the norm – a trend that General Motors designers expect will continue.

No, GM has said in a press release earlier this month that the current Impala will be the last one.

DETROIT – When the 2014 Chevrolet Impala arrives next year it will put to rest a fixture of automobiles since the days of the horseless carriage – the front bench seat. The outgoing Impala is the last passenger car in production in North America to offer three-across front seating, an option that that ends with the introduction of Chevy’s redesigned flagship sedan.

The passing of the front bench seat into automotive history is expected to transpire without notice from many car buyers. Only one in 10 Impala buyers chose the $195 option last year on the LS and LT models. For many of today’s car buyers, front bucket seats are the norm – a trend that General Motors designers expect will continue.

[interesting...if that was the plan, I wonder why the center stack and console are not integrated...

WHY WHY WHY? Am I the only person that really does not see the need for the Impala and Malibu?

I am totally turned off by the overly busy interior and the blah exterior. This is not a car, not even a hazbeen. Why keep both, why not retire this ugly car and focus on much better Malibu or retire the Malibu and focus on a much better Impala.

What is so hard about accepting the fact that you have two cars in the same bloody segment.

Personally, Malibu has a far better perception I believe. They should expand and have a full line up of this car and then do a Special edition of the Malibu that is performance oriented and call it the Impala SS.

No other options other than a fully loaded tuned Impala SS.

So line up is as Such:

Impala SS - Top of the line

Malibu LTZ

Malibu 2LT

Malibu 1LT

Malibu LS

Malibu L

Malibu Eco

7 Models to rule them all.

WHY WHY WHY? Am I the only person that really does not see the need for the Impala and Malibu?

Different segments...the Malibu is the midsize, the Impala the fullsize. Same reason Buick has the Regal and LaCrosse, Ford the Fusion and Taurus. Not everyone wants a small 4cyl midsizer. Though I'd take a Charger or 300 over any of GM or Ford's weak FWD fullsizers.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

I ran the comparison. There somewhat is less hip and knee room versus the W-Impala but more shoulder room and legroom. My 2007 has about 42in/37.5in front/rear for legroom which is actually similar to the 2013 Malibu whereas the new car is 45/39.5 front/rear- and you can get your feet under the seats (which you can't in the current car), which makes a huge difference.

That's a lot of legroom! I wonder how the footwell intrusion is there in the front.

I would think it would be pretty much the same as the LaCrosse or XTS. Or the Regal or Malibu (don't the Epsy Dos SWB and less-SWB versions differ only in the 3.x inches of wheelbase?)

Different segments...the Malibu is the midsize, the Impala the fullsize. Same reason Buick has the Regal and LaCrosse, Ford the Fusion and Taurus. Not everyone wants a small 4cyl midsizer. Though I'd take a Charger or 300 over any of GM or Ford's weak FWD fullsizers.

But having them on the lot they do not come across as one is mid size and one is full size. They look the same. Guess based on other comments here I will have to go back and look at them again as they both came across as being in the same size just two tweaked options.

But having them on the lot they do not come across as one is mid size and one is full size. They look the same. Guess based on other comments here I will have to go back and look at them again as they both came across as being in the same size just two tweaked options.

The new Impala isn't out until next year yet, maybe you are thinking about the old one? The size difference between the new Malibu and the next Impala is about 4 inches in wheelbase and 9 inches in overall length (overhangs)....both are on the Epsilon II platform.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

There won't be anyone who sees the Malibu and Impala next to each other in the steel and make a mistake on which one is bigger.

• Agree 1

There won't be anyone who sees the Malibu and Impala next to each other in the steel and make a mistake on which one is bigger.

Even w/ the current Impala and previous Malibu, it was pretty clear which was bigger. Maybe it's because dfelt is so used to full size SUVs that all cars look small to him.. :)

This is another case where someone needs to see and sit in the car before they pass judgment.

Sit in the back of a Lacrosse and then a Regal and even Stevie Wonder can tell the difference. The same will apply here.

Also the level of options and trim run the price of the Impala up even more than the Malibu.

Finally with the coming SS sedan there is no need to make a FWD SS Impala. The Impala is just not intended to be that kind of car. Now if they drop the VF sedan in a few years I could see a Impala SS.

Edited by hyperv6

The Epsilon II cars are too narrow, honestly. Plenty of legroom and a decent-sized trunk in the Impala (before eek-Assist ruins that), but the impression is not enough interior width to truly feel like a fullsize.

I do hope that the new Impala does not make the same mistake the current LaCrosse made and claim to be fullsize when it really is a midsize car. Am Impala should be actually fullsize once inside the car.

If I remember correctly, I believe GM gets to make the "full size" claim on a technicality that includes the size of the trunk.

Even w/ the current Impala and previous Malibu, it was pretty clear which was bigger. Maybe it's because dfelt is so used to full size SUVs that all cars look small to him.. :)

I will for sure have to go back and take a look as Lee Johnson Chevrolet in Kirkland has them lined up at a 45 deg angle in two long lines and since then made the lines impala, malibu, impala, malibu they all just blended in when I went by them in my trailblazer and to me looked to be about the same size in width and length. Just different front clips.

So yes from the Guy with all full size SUV's and a mid size SUV these cars do look about the same to me, no different than when I see a camry and avalon.

This is another case where someone needs to see and sit in the car before they pass judgment.

Sit in the back of a Lacrosse and then a Regal and even Stevie Wonder can tell the difference. The same will apply here.

Also the level of options and trim run the price of the Impala up even more than the Malibu.

Finally with the coming SS sedan there is no need to make a FWD SS Impala. The Impala is just not intended to be that kind of car. Now if they drop the VF sedan in a few years I could see a Impala SS.

:P See my response above, being on the lot looking at them, they appear to be in the same category, interior can truly be different, but when they look the same size, you have to ask why. :)

I do hope that the new Impala does not make the same mistake the current LaCrosse made and claim to be fullsize when it really is a midsize car. Am Impala should be actually fullsize once inside the car.

If I remember correctly, I believe GM gets to make the "full size" claim on a technicality that includes the size of the trunk.

That is just sad! :nono:

The market is classing the cars anymore. The Impala is what the full size will be. I suspect the larger rwd cars may get a new handle since they will be less in number.

The Impala could be a little wider and the Malibu could be a little longer like the last version. But they are looking to cut weight and this is the cheapest way to do it.