2 min Gas Station from Tesla?

David

G. David Felt

Staff Writer Alternative Energy - CheersandGears.com

Industry change is never easy or fast and yet Tesla has introduced their 2 minute fast charge system. From $50 to $80 dollars a robotic system would allow you to pull in after 200 miles and in approximately 90 seconds swap out your depleted battery pack for a fully charged pack beating the average fill time of 4 min for a petrol powered car.

See what the news and industry is saying about what Tesla is planning and believes they can make a profit on.

CNN Money

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/21/autos/tesla-battery-swap/index.html

Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346204/Tesla-Motors-introduces-robot-mechanics-replace-batteries-electric-cars.html

Wall St. Cheat Sheet

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/tesla-introduces-faster-gas-station-system.html/?a=viewall

Tesla Motors

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

View full article

stupid, might be appealing to some but really work on a fast charge system instead.

They have that, too: http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Personally I don't see the appeal of battery swapping. It exists just so Tesla can say that "refueling" with their car (90 seconds) is quicker than with an ICE car (4 minutes). I'd rather charge for free and spend the 20 minutes on a coffee and restroom break. After 3 hours of driving, you'd want to stretch out anyway.

Also, I'll be test driving a Model S on Monday. Any "interactive review" pre-questions? If you do, I'll keep them in mind during the drive.

I guess what interests me the most is real-world driving range and how does the driving compare with an ICE-powered car. Of course that the "usual" test drive notes on driving dynamics, comfort and amenities would be interesting too :)

And be sure to post a picture album too :AH-HA:

Interesting all the terms that are getting twisted around. When was an Electric car ever supercharged?

Increase the voltage?

Also, I'll be test driving a Model S on Monday. Any "interactive review" pre-questions? If you do, I'll keep them in mind during the drive.

I guess what interests me the most is real-world driving range and how does the driving compare with an ICE-powered car. Of course that the "usual" test drive notes on driving dynamics, comfort and amenities would be interesting too :)

And be sure to post a picture album too :AH-HA:

Real-world drivability is what interests me...does it drive like a normal car? Real world practicality and usability...

Guest potluck

Interesting all the terms that are getting twisted around. When was an Electric car ever supercharged?

When it was hit by lightning?

This is what interests me, i had been talking about an idea like switchable batteries in cars a while back with some friends. To me it seems like the most sensible way to recharge one, none of the multi hour charging. Although battery distribution could be an issue, as when would be the appropriate time to retire batteries and what if you switched from a new one to one that was just above this interval, limiting range.

Now in this real world use, how much is the cost of the electricity going into the battery?

I doubt it's being put into the plan yet, but the battery's capabilities for holding charge could be measured when it is being recharged out of the car and then the battery "fillup" could be priced accordingly. Since it is a measurable item (in KwH capacity), the price of the battery would decrease slowly over time as the capacity of the battery decreases.

• 2 months later...