Massachusetts proposes taxing by miles driven

balthazar

Legislation (H.B. 3142) to establish a pilot program to impose a vehicle mileage user fee administered by the Department of Transportation was introduced in Massachusetts. This bill is intended to supplement the gas tax and implement alternative ways to raise transportation revenue for the state. Under the bill, the Department must report to the legislature on the feasibility of permanently assessing a vehicle mileage user fee. The pilot program would include at least 1,000 drivers of trucks, passenger and commercial vehicles. These drivers would have on-board vehicle-mileage-counting equipment installed on their vehicles which can report the number of miles traveled. Payments would be collected from participants.

Washington state has established a review board to study the possibility of going to miles taxed instead of a gas tax. This would apply to all vehicles regardless of the type of propulsion system. Personally I think it could be a better way to go and drop the crazy gas tax which Washington is one of the 5 highest in the nation.

Suck for Mass peeps as you are in essence being double taxed. One or the other not both.

I would like to see all Gas Tax go away and a move to Mileage tax. Cost per year is based on driving 15,000 miles

Auto Class Tax

0 - 3000lbs - $.05 per mile = $750.00

3001 - 5000lbs - $.075 per mile = $1125.00

5001 - 7500lbs - $.10 per mile = $1500.00

7501 - 15,000lbs - $.125 per mile = $1875.00

Commercial Class tax

15,000 - 50,000lbs - $.15 per mile = $2250.00

50,001lbs - unlimited $.20 per mile = $3000

Flat rate for GOV vehicles

$1000 per auto up to 15,000lbs

$1500 per commercial class auto

Remember that this could go up or down based on how much you drive. So people that only drive 3-5K miles a year would pay considerably less. I also feel the exemption that City, county and state vehicles get is wrong, they put wear and tear on the roads and should have to help pay for that. I feel many Fire and Police departments allow the employees to drive department auto's at tax payers expense calling it a perk of the job. This does not exist in many private industry jobs and should not exist in the gov sector. All people should get to the job before driving a company, gov supplied auto. I believe this would greatly reduce run away cost from departments that allow even a secretary to have a tax payer supplied auto and gas card.

whatwhatWHAT?? I pay about $110/yr in state & Fed fuel tax, I need that to jump to $1500 like I need a 4-ton meteorite to smash my truck flat.

And Jersey spends more/mile in road maintenance than any other state IIRC- you would only find zero support for something like that here!

Those amounts are insanely higher than even the highest state fuel tax. If I lived in Wash State, I'd pay around $310. You are just begging for abuse & corruption with that level of a revenue gusher.

in your "auto class" Are there any Autos that clock in over 7500lbs?

Hi Drew, I use auto loosely so that it also includes SUV's and trucks. So yes GMC 2500 truck would be in the 7500lbs class as would a Denali XL or Suburban or Escalade ESV I believe would also be in that class.

whatwhatWHAT?? I pay about $110/yr in state & Fed fuel tax, I need that to jump to $1500 like I need a 4-ton meteorite to smash my truck flat.

And Jersey spends more/mile in road maintenance than any other state IIRC- you would only find zero support for something like that here!

Those amounts are insanely higher than even the highest state fuel tax. If I lived in Wash State, I'd pay around $310. You are just begging for abuse & corruption with that level of a revenue gusher.

I realize that these might be high and probably could even be adjusted down. I just put together a starting point of what a Mileage tax system would be like. So even if we cut the rates in half, I think it is still a far better way to go than fuel tax.

This makes it a pay as you go system rather than the Milk you as you buy gas.

They are not 'perhaps' high, they are indisputably high. Even cutting them in half would raise -for example- my fuel taxes around 700%.
While I can see the point of mileage-based rather than gallon based, we have to come up with realistic, non-penalizing rates instead of hammering the populous at large. Big Gov't doesn't need another new, fat revenue stream to plunder & piss away.

I realize (hope!!) you are primarily suggesting a tiered system, but to even put those numbers in there... you're just going to frighten off any support you might hope to garner.

The problem I have with this is: Why should a Nissan Sentra (2,832) pay the same tax per mile as a Nissan Armada (5,500)?

EXACTLY

for a guy like me who puts about 90 miles round trip on a day, some days 150 miles, this is particular could be bonecrushing. This could really kill job mobility, and hurt business that have lots of employees in fleet cars.

Aside from the big brother aspect and the fact that the government has NO BUSINESS keeping track of how many miles I drive a year.

This type of stuff stifles the employment market. When the housing market blew apart and people were trapped in their houses (and some still are) and can't move, at least you still have the option of driving a distance to a job to make a living. Your creating a punitive environment for people to go far out to find more and better work if need be for making a go for yourself.

The mileage based system has been heavily discussed here in Washington state and what I threw out was what some are looking at. While I can see the merits of both a consumption or mileage system. There should not be both. For pure EV's, it would make sense to have these auto's taxed by miles so they pay their share of road costs.

this would hurt the poor. because budgeting long term is harder to plan for.

i agree the fuel tax should be a % instead of a flat rate, but that's where inflation will hurt the poor AGAIN.

the bad thing is, milage out side of the state is still charged to you. so this, at face value has 1 huge drawback. ...it's like income tax and sales tax... living in that state you get dinged 2x.

a gas tax is the best way to solve this. and if plug ins get more popular... ding them on their energy bill tax rates.....?

this would hurt the poor. because budgeting long term is harder to plan for.

This. So much f@#king this.

I'm sick and tired of automakers and industry pundits, month after month, belching out, "Blah, blah, gen y hates cars and doesn't buy new ones and probably maybe doesn't buy used, blah, blah. Damn kids are too lazy to work to buy a car and too busy texting to drive, blah, blah, blah, blah. Why can't they get on board like everyone else?" A tax like this -- where you're required to cough up as little as a few hundred to as much as a few thousand dollars a year -- in addition to the assinine prices you have to pay on insurance, gasoline, and a bank note year in and year out will certainly help to drive a big nail in the car's coffin with my generation, if it isn't indeed already true that we've just moved on to public transport and smartphones and probably aren't looking back.

But, you know, I guess a car really is a privelege for the wealthy, right? Right Boomers? Gen X? It's for the financially established. It's not for us young'uns who have to deal with the prospect of a poor job market, paying off a mountain of student loan debt, and facing the bald-faced reality that, when we do get a job, we'll be earning far less for our productivity than any prior generation in the United States, right? Right? I'm asking you since you're calling the legislative shots now. So go ahead and tax away ... you bunch of stupid, self-absorbed, short-sighted pricks.

superb post. it is the task of the current generations 'in charge' seemingly, to take what once were normal expenses (cars, energy, education, health care, food) and turn them into luxuries for the privileged.......

As far as I am concerned you are absolutely justified to be pissed off. I would hate to be in your gen's shoes today.

Edited by regfootball

superb post. it is the task of the current generations 'in chare' seemingly, to take what once were normal expenses (cars, energy, education, health care, food) and turn them into luxuries for the privileged.......

As far as I am concerned you are absolutely justified to be pissed off. I would hate to be in your gen's shoes today.

That's only the tip of the iceberg, too. The rabbit hole goes so deep, you can go probably for years without seeing the light at the end of it.

I mean ... what can I say? We really do have a one-lane, narrowed-shouldered hell of a future coming our way, and to put the blame squarely on our shoulders is true fool-hearted ignorance. We've graduated high school only to have been burdened with a mountain of debt the next morning after, most of us barely 18, the proverbial deck of cards stacked against our odds right out of the gate. We are set to inherit our parents' and grandparents' table scraps; we have been willed a complete and total mess. We will be handed what's left of a failing global economy diseased by the spread of consumerism and materialism, fruitlessly tolling our way through a job market that doesn't support us, regularly rejects us, and cannot pay us, virtually bankrupt before we even see our early to late 30s. We are a generation of wage slaves, at best. Our labor and productivity is worth nothing more than the dirt in the ground.

Then, to top it all off, we are verbally spat upon by our predecessors who berate us by saying we're too lazy and unambitious, that we expect to have everything handed to us. Perhaps the best insult out of all of them is the claim that we are narcissistic. Imagine that, labeled narcissistic by two highly narcissistic generations that have essentially buried us alive. Hey, Pot, you're black, too.

Sadly, I'm not even sure that there's even a real prospect that we'll be able to fix anything when we have our turn to sit behind the wheel. We'll be stretched too thin to manage to take control, our health dwindling under the stress of razorline financial resources, prematurely aged and burned out before our prime.

... Eh, I'll just shut the taps off on my rant now. I really don't like thinking about where the future's headed.

• 5 months later...

if we could have an honest talk about raising the fuel taxes, gradually, to appropriately cover our crumbling infrastructure, we wouldn't need these experimental ideas. Those driving EVs and even PEVs, yes, should probably have to get taxed per mile.

• Upvote 2

"probably have to get taxed" is the guiding mantra of Big Gov't. Blech.

Would love to see the scientific hard data on the additional 'road damage' of a 5500 LB vehicle vs. one that weighs 3000.

IF –and this is a huge 'if' IMO– this can in any slipshod manner be quantified by D.C., one can actually hear from here the salivating at the tax rate on 80,000 LB vehicles ("Never mind that Revenue behind the curtain!").

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

if we could have an honest talk about raising the fuel taxes, gradually, to appropriately cover our crumbling infrastructure, we wouldn't need these experimental ideas. Those driving EVs and even PEVs, yes, should probably have to get taxed per mile.

This would help the economy as well. I would be all for this!

I hate how the right wingers oppose paying taxes but still like to use the roads...want everything for free, leeches...

Like that clown Bundy out west? He is as much of a welfare queen as any inner city mother.....ugh....stopping now before this gets closed.