Chevrolet News:Rumorpile: Next Camaro To Take On Evolutionary Design Path

William Maley

The next Camaro has a number of things that will be changing such as a new platform and a new place where it will be built. One item that doesn't appear to be changing as much is the design.

Edmunds has learned from a source that the company is planning to go down the evolutionary route with the design of the next Camaro.

"The difference between the existing and redesigned (Camaro) is not drastically different. It looks like a worked-over current-model Camaro. It is on a different platform, so that is a significant difference, but when they modified it to be on a different platform, the styling did not change that much," said the source.

The Camaro is expected to debut at the Detroit Auto Show next year.

Source: Edmunds

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Who did not think this was going to be evolutionary?

I can see engines being revolutionary. I would totally expect a 4 banger Turbo engine in base models.

I'm a bit disappointed only because I was hoping for a departure from retro, I was even hoping the Mustang would be revolutionary for that same reason. Regardless, I'm definitely excited to see how the car will evolve!

I'm a bit disappointed to hear this. I was hoping GM would take a chance and create a modern interpretation of a muscle car, instead of the modern reskinning of an old one. Ford's playing things too safe and this could've been a good opportunity for GM to really stand out.

The current Camaro is a nice car but its size and weight are slowly making it a rolling anachronism. But I guess the people who find it most appealing wouldn't want much of a change.

The current Camaro is a beautiful car, but it needs to lose about 800 pounds at least...the next generation will be just as hot I am sure. Will start getting excited when the spy shots start coming out & the REVEAL gets closer!!

Was disappointed with the new mustang, looks like the same car (pretty much)

I DO like those renderings out there that are based on the 2nd generation, one of them is red. Always had a fondness for the 2nd gens. as I came of age to drive then, and drove a lot of different ones. Had a lot of fun & good times in those 2nd gen Camaro models. The view looking over the hood was awesome - loved the heat & air controls on the left side of the driver (so no one could mess with them!) Driving to the dunes & concerts & cruising the main town strip. lots of history in these personal cars.

They could loose the 800lbs if they took off all the Nanny devices and protection crude they require on auto's now. Just think, if you want a real modern muscle car with the lightness of the old original muscle cars, just drop all the junk they have been forced to add rolling back to the basic auto of the late 60's early 70's and you would have a New Rocket.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Working on mass and packaging is the way to go IMHO instead of big styling changes. Have to say I'm really partial to the 1970-1973 F-Body designs, though...

Edited by ZL-1
  • Upvote 3

Distinction & uniqueness in design is deserving of continuation. Current Camaro looks awesome still, to dump that and go with a generic pod and just glue the 'Camaro' nameplates on it is ridiculously stupid.

In contrast, some cars out there recycle the same old elements for decades and everyone praises the "iconic look". Evolutionary is the way to go with the Camaro.

I agree that weight is a small concern, tho in truth- the '67-69s weren't much lighter. Quoted weight of the '69 V8s was 3050, but my brother has an all-steel '68 Firebird (400), and with zero options and a few components removed he couldn't get his car below 3200 on the scale, and he was pursuing weigh loss for drag racing. And to be frank, I see a strong parallel with some luxury sedans; they perform very well even tho they weigh 4800 lbs or more. Camaro is no slug nor a slushbucket on the track. If we were all told it weighed 3300 and performed like it does, all would be well.

• Upvote 1

what is needed

lower beltline and less claustrophobia. how the hell anyone can drive one of these, I don't know, there is no view out of the thing and it feels like a bunker.

better and more efficient packaging so there is more interior and trunk room for all the volume enclosed by the body.

more rear seat space / actually usable. Some folks might want to put adults back there periodically so it becomes a usable car.

AWD OPTIONAL PLEASE, then we can haz this as a daily driver for winter

Camaro as been outselling Mustang each month its been on the market in spite of its weight and interior disadvantages. Why would Chevy want to change from that when we've already seen that the next Mustang, while attractive, is not a huge deviation from the current formula?

Camaro already spanks mustang in handling feel.... imagine what it will do when it sheds 800lbs.

I actually think the AWD option on a Camero would be very popular and allow a ton of growth of more powerful engines with better power to the pavement performance.

Moving to the Alpha platform will allow the camaro to drop a lot of weight.... more than would be added by awd.

And " no one else is doing it" isn't a good enough reason to not offer it.

I agree with Drew that no one else is doing this is not good enough plus someone already does do this.

STI / WRX - Yes I realize they are 4 door compared to Camero 2 door.

An AWD Camero would allow GM to pull from the folks that want Performance with AWD for a more versatile ride.

I think GM could really take this segment if they went to Alpha and added AWD.

In the north east and midwest... after this winter.... ?

I simply cannot buy a non-AWD/4WD vehicle again... that automatically removes the Camaro from my shopping list and I would expect the same for many people in my area who would otherwise like a Camaro.

To put things in perspective, the Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD, which is a 4-door is 3629. That would be an acceptable weight for an AWD Camaro.

A 2.0T RWD ATS is 3373... which would be a very good weight for a new RWD Camaro....

The Camaro 3.6 Automatic 2LT is 3754, the SS is 3972

I know of many friends in the NE that are looking at AWD to replace FWD and RWD auto's as they woud rather give up a little fuel economy for the added traction for the winters.

I think GM could lead and would have a solid rate take for an AWD Camero.

This past winter is likely to convert a number of consumers, yes; the same way a number dumped SUVs when gas shot up. The trend passes pretty quickly, tho.
I don't think NY/PA/NJ/DE would see a lot of AWD Camaro takers. Farther north, I wonder how well the Camaro or any other same-segment performance coupe sells as is.

That said, like I said; it's a good idea for the option to be available.