G. David Felt
Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer
www.CheersandGears.com

Elio Motors Ultra High Mileage Auto / Trike?

post-12-0-58410500-1403880384_thumb.jpg

Elio Motors is promising to have on the market next year an 84mpg $6800 2 person auto / Trike. This 3 wheel transportation has a configuration like most 3 wheel modern motorcycles with 2 steering wheels in front and a single drive wheel in back. Unlike Can-Am bikes where you still get wet, the Elio is fully enclosed auto. So what do you get for $6800?

Exterior measurements are as follows:

Overall Length: 160.5″
Overall Height: 54.2″

Front Wheel Track: 66.8″
(center rim to center rim)

Wheelbase: 110″
(center of front wheels to center of rear wheel)

Interior measurements are as follows:

Headroom: Driver 39.8 Passenger 36.4 in
Seat width: Driver 20.6 Passenger 25.3 in

Interior Shoulder Width: 26.8 in
Front seat Legroom: 42.7 in
Rear seat Legroom: 33.1 in

Elio has been designed to fit 95% of all men.

An inline, 3 cylinder, .9 liter, 55 HP, fuel-injected, SOHC gas-powered, liquid-cooled, automotive engine.

5-speed manual or automatic.

8 Gallon fuel tank with 84mpg highway and 49mpg city.

Elio Motors

So this begs the following questions:

Can Elio deliver on their promise of a $6800 2 person auto?

How or will the Big auto companies respond?

Being an enclosed auto with 3 wheels will it have to conform to all the regular 4 wheel auto safety requirements?

Would you be interested in driving this auto?

Yes there could be many more questions but these first four questions I believe are important to discuss. What do you think?

It is more like a 3 wheel trike, to me this isn't really a car.  What is a bit sad is the old Honda Insight from the early 2000s got 60 mpg city and 70 mpg highway, and it was car, and no car since has really topped that, that wasn't a plug in of some sort.   This seems like a Reliant Robin part 2, except the single wheel is in back not the front, so it probably doesn't roll over on every corner.

The Insight was also a hybrid and cost 3 times as much new. This is a trike in the eyes of the law (except Connecticut's) but for all practical purposes it is a car. It's got better amenities than my Sunfire. It would put a huge dent in the cost of my 48-mile work commute. An economical car should be about saving money, which is the opposite of what you do when you by a current hybrid. This is the high-MPG car for the rest of us. I'm excited for it.

I could see this also running on CNG or being pure electric. There is much potential here for an enclosed trike.

• 1 month later...

Reservation down payment changes Sept. 2nd. If you do the basic $100 down, you get a $150 credit towards your auto when produced. Starting Sept 2nd they are requiring 25% down payment of the purchase price.

• 11 months later...

Seems ELIO made a splash at the 2015 NY autoshow and we missed it!

Here is their Press Release.

The Insight was also a hybrid and cost 3 times as much new. This is a trike in the eyes of the law (except Connecticut's) but for all practical purposes it is a car. It's got better amenities than my Sunfire. It would put a huge dent in the cost of my 48-mile work commute. An economical car should be about saving money, which is the opposite of what you do when you by a current hybrid. This is the high-MPG car for the rest of us. I'm excited for it.

it's interesting.  Elio has been going around to all of the states to get this classified as a car instead of a motorcycle. I would like to do an article about that.

it's interesting.  Elio has been going around to all of the states to get this classified as a car instead of a motorcycle. I would like to do an article about that.

So what is gained by getting this classified as a car rather than a trike? I thought it was cheaper and easier to get on the road as a 3 wheeled trike than a car?

So what is gained by getting this classified as a car rather than a trike? I thought it was cheaper and easier to get on the road as a 3 wheeled trike than a car?

No helmet laws.

I see huge competition between this and other alternative forms of transportation such as transit, bicycles, car-pooling and car sharing services. It's priced right, but I think classification as a motor vehicle instead of a motorcycle may have to do with insurance costs for the consumer. I don't think it is a car though. In a perfect world, this would be city streets and HOV lane only; but restricting freedom may hurt this vehicle. Aside from the fact its styling is 10 years too late. 

No helmet laws.

Good point, totally forgot just because it is enclosed as a motorcycle they would still require a helmet. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings