Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I did commercial refrigeration work also.

Very cool, ever see the Blast freezers in work where they mist a seasalt brine over the fresh seafood as it enters one end of the unit and on the other only 15 to 20 seconds later it comes out frozen hard and coated in the salt water keeping it very fresh tasting. The units are freaky amazing and fast and I have also seen a few idiots that got injured by them. 

I am planning a remodel of my house and will put on a heat pump as a more efficient temp and humidity control unit over an AC unit.

What kind of commercial refrigeration did you work on?

Finally!! Does look good- what are the available bed lengths (looks like an 8-fter above)?

This to report via local dealer shopping : 6 months into the model year and quite basically STILL no crew cab 6.5- bed 1500s out there. Ford, however, has plenty F-150s in that configuration.
- - - - -
Interesting concept- this ad is from 1944, when dealers were 2 years into having ZERO new product to sell, so car dealers were buyers instead.

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 9.50.33 PM.png

I posted this tidbit here years back, came across it again & it bears repeating IMO. I greatly enjoy stories of windfalls.
- - - - -
When the initial investors for the Ford Motor Company were being assembled in 1903, the list was short- only 14 individuals (HF was one). The ante was $100/share. One man greatly believed in the budding enterprise, and desperately wanted 25 shares ($2500). His problem was, his life savings amounted to but $400. He managed to get a high-rate bank loan for $1500, got a $500 bonus for greatly upping his employer's coal delivery sales ... and he implored his schoolteacher sister to contribute. Her life savings were only $200, but she reluctantly agreed to lend him $100.

With his 25 shares now in hand and Ford soon proven to be solvent, the man came back to his sister. Instead of repaying her the $100, he gave her a single share of Ford Motor Company.

When Henry Ford began a vigorous stock buy-back in 1919, the sister was able to tally her benefits of owning 1 share of stock. She had realized $95,000 in dividends, and the single share sold back to Ford netted her $260,000. Her $100 investment returned her $355,000.

- - - - -

Of course it's staggering to compare the 'then & now' - FoMoCo stock has been parked under $10/share for at least a decade.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Finally!! Does look good- what are the available bed lengths (looks like an 8-fter above)?

This to report via local dealer shopping : 6 months into the model year and quite basically STILL no crew cab 6.5- bed 1500s out there. Ford, however, has plenty F-150s in that configuration.

Cool eh?  Regular cab only comes in 8 ft bed this time around.

I punched in zip code 07036 and found 3 crew cab, regular (6.5') bed half ton Silvies listed:

https://www.chevrolet.com/locate-a-vehicle-near-you?x-symbolic=lnv&x-carline=silverado&x-modelyear=2019&q-sourcepath=/vdccollections/2019/trucks/silverado/silverado-t1-reveal/jcr%3Acontent/vdcVehicleInfoBlockConfig/vdcShoppingLinks&x-bodystyle=silverado-1500-new

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

I posted this tidbit here years back, came across it again & it bears repeating IMO. I greatly enjoy stories of windfalls.
- - - - -
When the initial investors for the Ford Motor Company were being assembled in 1903, the list was short- only 14 individuals (HF was one). The ante was $100/share. One man greatly believed in the budding enterprise, and desperately wanted 25 shares ($2500). His problem was, his life savings amounted to but $400. He managed to get a high-rate bank loan for $1500, got a $500 bonus for greatly upping his employer's coal delivery sales ... and he implored his schoolteacher sister to contribute. Her life savings were only $200, but she reluctantly agreed to lend him $100.

With his 25 shares now in hand and Ford soon proven to be solvent, the man came back to his sister. Instead of repaying her the $100, he gave her a single share of Ford Motor Company.

When Henry Ford began a vigorous stock buy-back in 1919, the sister was able to tally her benefits of owning 1 share of stock. She had realized $95,000 in dividends, and the single share sold back to Ford netted her $260,000. Her $100 investment returned her $355,000.

- - - - -

Of course it's staggering to compare the 'then & now' - FoMoCo stock has been parked under $10/share for at least a decade.

But their dividends are still healthy.  They are a tempting long term stock when they hit their lows, but my ethics prevent me from buying any. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

But their dividends are still healthy.  They are a tempting long term stock when they hit their lows, but my ethics prevent me from buying any. 

Agree, the risk factor of Ford is above my investing style.

Just now, dfelt said:

Agree, the risk factor of Ford is above my investing style.

The risk factor has nothing to do with my not buying.  It's considered an ethical no-no in journalism to invest in companies you are reporting on.  As such, I don't directly invest in any automotive industry stocks.  It's one way I try to keep the trust with you guys. 

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

On 2/20/2019 at 4:06 PM, oldshurst442 said:

This summer we are thinking about travelling down to the States for some vacation time.

Hit some American beaches...on the East Coast.  I dont think Ill have the time to drive all the way down to Florida (I do want to drive, so my kids get to see some American paysage. (scenery)

South Carolina and Mytle Beach?  My other neighbor, to the right of me(the neighbor to the left has the Tesla Model 3), he goes to Myrtle Beach every year.  

Maybe too far south still...

Virginia Beach? Wildwood New Jersey?

My best friend has gone to Ocean City Maryland twice and he recommends we go there.   There is Massachusetts with Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyards or the Hamptons but we've been to Boston before to see my cousin and my daughter has a school trip there just before school finishes and the beaches that north arent exactly...well, Im used to Greek beaches...

Further south and the beaches look awesome. Out west even better...

Pacific beaches are cold by Atlantic standards.  The current on the West Coast comes down from Alaska.  Same with Chile and Peru.  That upward flowing Pacific current, which I think is called the Humboldt Current, makes Pacific South American beaches cold and the waves can be daunting.

I've lived in Atlanta.  I never made it to Myrtle Beach.  I guess it's o.k.  Virginia Beach seems to be well liked, too.  For beaches, I went to the Florida Panhandle.

I can only speak for Florida's Panhandle, meaning Pensacola, Destin, Panama City, and Fort Walton.  They call it the "Redneck Riviera."  Even the locals call it that and they're okay with it.  If you vacation there, it will mostly be Southerners and Midwesterners.  Easterners and Canadians typically don't go there.

As for Florida's Atlantic coast, if you go too far down, you get into the hubbub of South Florida and its higher prices.  Around Daytona and the Space Coast, it's very tacky.

That sort of leaves you the beaches of South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and possibly even Delaware.  

I still default to the Panhandle.  If not, I would opt to sit on the sand and swim in the warm waters of Italy, Spain, Portugal, or Greece.  End of story.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

Pacific beaches are cold by Atlantic standards.  The current on the West Coast comes down from Alaska.  Same with Chile and Peru.  That Pacific current, which I think is called the Humboldt Current, makes Pacific South American beaches cold and the waves can be daunting.

I lived in Atlanta.  I never made it to Myrtle Beach.  I guess it's o.k.  Virginia Beach seems to be well liked.  For beaches, I went to the Florida Panhandle.

I can only speak for Florida's Panhandle, meaning Pensacola, Destin, Panama City, and Fort Walton.  They call it the "Redneck Riviera."  Even the locals call it that and they're okay with it.  If you vacation there, it will mostly be Southerners and Midwesterners.  Easterners and Canadians typically don't go there.

As for Florida's Atlantic coast, if you go too far down, you get into the hubbub of South Florida and its higher prices.  Around Daytona and the Space Coast, it's very tacky.

That sort of leaves you the beaches of South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and possibly even Delaware.

I still default to the Panhandle.  If not, I would opt to sit on the sand and swim in the warm waters of Italy, Spain, Portugal, or Greece.  End of story.

I like Key West, but that's really getting down there.  I need to get back, I need a break from this cold and dark we've been having in Pittsburgh the last few weeks... I'm really feeling it. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I like Key West, but that's really getting down there.  I need to get back, I need a break from this cold and dark we've been having in Pittsburgh the last few weeks... I'm really feeling it. 

Yeah..I hear you..getting tired of winter.  Tired of snow and slush.   I need to get down to the Keys and visit old friends in Marathon.   My sister was in Miami Beach for a few days before a Caribbean cruise a couple weeks ago,  she enjoyed her vacation but mostly complained about American Airlines and problems w/ the return flight from Miami. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah..I hear you..getting tired of winter.  Tired of snow and slush.   I need to get down to the Keys and visit old friends in Marathon.   My sister was in Miami Beach for a few days before a Caribbean cruise a couple weeks ago,  she enjoyed her vacation but mostly complained about American Airlines and problems w/ the return flight from Miami. 

MIA is such an absolute cluster these days. I don't know what their problem is. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

MIA is such an absolute cluster these days. I don't know what their problem is. 

She ended up boarding, taxi-ing and de-planing twice before they switched planes (had an issue w/ the air conditioning).  3 hr delay in taking off... 

Just now, Robert Hall said:

She ended up boarding, taxi-ing and de-planing twice before they switched planes (had an issue w/ the air conditioning).  3 hr delay in taking off... 

Oh, that's airline issues.  My issues have been with check-in and security lines being beyond ridiculous. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh, that's airline issues.  My issues have been with check-in and security lines being beyond ridiculous. 

She said w/ TSA Pre it wasn't bad...was a Saturday, though.      

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The risk factor has nothing to do with my not buying.  It's considered an ethical no-no in journalism to invest in companies you are reporting on.

I see financial shows on TV issue declarations of which commentators own/don't own what. But I see your point.

I considered buying Ford when it was around $2 10 years ago- I was confident it wasn't going anywhere as a company. Could've bought a few thousand shares and made $12K since.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I see financial shows on TV issue declarations of which commentators own/don't own what. But I see your point.

I considered buying Ford when it was around $2 10 years ago- I was confident it wasn't going anywhere as a company. Could've bought a few thousand shares and made $12K since.

I already get accused of biases in my writing by certain folks. I've always found it best to not complicate matters more than needed. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dfelt said:

TSA Pre is the only way to fly now. I will never give it up.

The problem in MIA is that even the TSA pre lines are super long because they give TSA Pre to all the senior citizens.  There needs to be a TSA Pre+ for seasoned flyers... people who have gone through Pre-Check more than 4 times in the last 12 months and thus know the drill. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The problem in MIA is that even the TSA pre lines are super long because they give TSA Pre to all the senior citizens.  There needs to be a TSA Pre+ for seasoned flyers... people who have gone through Pre-Check more than 4 times in the last 12 months and thus know the drill. 

That is interesting as I never see any of the Seniors in the TSA Pre at SeaTac airport here and it is one of the top 5 or 3 busiest airports in the nation now. I honestly love the less than 5 min to go from dropping my bag off with Alaska and then on the other side going to get food, water, snacks for the flight.

Considering the Global one for international flying as I hear from coworkers how fast that is too especially when coming back into the US. Yet I only seem to travel every couple of years internationally.

Just now, dfelt said:

That is interesting as I never see any of the Seniors in the TSA Pre at SeaTac airport here and it is one of the top 5 or 3 busiest airports in the nation now. I honestly love the less than 5 min to go from dropping my bag off with Alaska and then on the other side going to get food, water, snacks for the flight.

Considering the Global one for international flying as I hear from coworkers how fast that is too especially when coming back into the US. Yet I only seem to travel every couple of years internationally.

You mean Global Entry? I have that, it's fantastic.

• Thanks 1

Stopped by a Buick-GMC dealer on the way home from a job. They had 4 crew cab 6.5-ft bed Sierras, so I looked them over & was able to 'cement' a few particulars. A so-called 'double cab' (extended cab) is absolutely out- too small in the rear seat. Why this is the prevailant configuration is beyond me. For some reason, when I was looking at Silverados late last year, they seemed incredibly high (bedsides), but not these. Including the double cabs, there were SLs, SLT, Elevations & Denalis, and they were basically the same heights and none were too tall. A great thing.

So there was a CC/6.5 SL there, red, 5.3L, dealer had stuck on 'splash guards' ($180) and full-length running boards ($725), and I would have both of those featured removed. However, I think I'd need the 20" rims- anyone know if a dealer can swap 20"s in place of 18"s? The 20s are a good 3 inches taller, my question is, is there any GM mandate prohibiting swapping, for computer issues?

Need to get inside one next. Finally seeing some pretty good deals on the SIlverado side- $7K off on a few.
- - - - -
Coming soon, the Hellephant :D ~

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 5.33.44 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So with Toyota finally getting rid of the hoary, terrible Prius C in lieu of a Corolla Hybrid, does this mean a Corolla Hatchback Hybrid is on the docket?  Because I imagine Prius C owners will miss the hatchback's versatility.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, ocnblu said:

So with Toyota finally getting rid of the hoary, terrible Prius C in lieu of a Corolla Hybrid, does this mean a Corolla Hatchback Hybrid is on the docket?  Because I imagine Prius C owners will miss the hatchback's versatility.

The RAV4 has a hybrid. 

• Haha 1

The Prius is kind a last decade phenomenon...hybrids are old news now;  battery EVs are the 'green thing' now..

Then there is the Mirai...more exotic technically and weirder looking than the Prius.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

A bit of a random anecdote relating to Priuses..

I talked w/ a buddy of mine in Colorado recently...10 years back, he had a Prius as his commuter car --had a 100 mile commute daily...(he also got a Challenger SRT when they first came out for a weekend car), now he has a Tesla Model 3 as the commuter car and a Challenger Hellcat as his weekend car.. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

A bit of a random anecdote relating to Priuses..

I talked w/ a buddy of mine in Colorado recently...10 years back, he had a Prius as his commuter car --had a 100 mile commute daily...(he also got a Challenger SRT when they first came out for a weekend car), now he has a Tesla Model 3 as the commuter car and a Challenger Hellcat as his weekend car.. 

Sounds like a financially successful individual. Good for them. 👍

On 2/24/2019 at 12:03 AM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 9.58.05 AM.png

Good old Olds!

54 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Yes but most Prius owners want to BE SEEN as green.  A RAV4 hybrid does not signal such virtues like a Prius.

Ford had an Ad spot addressing this for the Ford Escape Hybrid years ago.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:03 PM, ocnblu said:

The problem is the Pruis C is small. Even with the seats down you don't get a lot of cargo room. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Robert Hall said:

I’m surprised Toyota hasn’t done a Prius crossover.  

There was talk about turning Prius into its own sub-brand under Toyota  (Toyota Highlander Prius anyone?)... but now with the Prius C and Prius V going away/gone, that doesn't seem to be panning out. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There was talk about turning Prius into its own sub-brand under Toyota  (Toyota Highlander Prius anyone?)... but now with the Prius C and Prius V going away/gone, that doesn't seem to be panning out. 

Why bother when they can just apply the Prius technology to their existing Toyota lineup and give the customers who want Hybrids, hybrids or EVs on the same named and looking platform as those that want their ICE auto.

I think a Prius sub-brand would be killed just like Toyota's last sub-brand.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Why bother when they can just apply the Prius technology to their existing Toyota lineup and give the customers who want Hybrids, hybrids or EVs on the same named and looking platform as those that want their ICE auto.

I think a Prius sub-brand would be killed just like Toyota's last sub-brand.

It depends on how they went about it.  If they just used Prius as a name for their Hybrids, that probably would have been fine. "Toyota Highlander Prius" rolls off the tongue easier than Toyota Highlander with Hybrid Synergy Drive.

If they created a whole separate model lineup for Prius like they did for Scion, then no, I don't think that would have worked out, especially now with everyone introducing hybrid versions of everything. 

• Thanks 1