Random Thoughts Thread

Prices for 2019 Silverado/Sierra regular cabs have been added to the NADA site.  Here's "mine" :

Silverado WT regular cab long bed 4X4

All-terrain "P" tires

WT Convenience Pkg

Chrome bumper/alloy wheel Pkg

Trailering pkg

G80 locker

Spray-on bed liner

$39,585

Extreme E outdoor racing. Seems to have some merit for arena racing with cleaner air and a reduction on impact on mother earth.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1118561_formula-e-develops-new-off-road-extreme-e-racing-series

Seems our mid engine Corvette has hit Germany for some serious testing.

https://jalopnik.com/the-mid-engined-corvette-has-arrived-at-the-nurburgring-1828783011

o4nhpurvfhbdppam2pum.jpg

16 hours ago, dfelt said:

Like this story on some cool old jeeps that most people have never seen.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3441757d8839e618https://jalopnik.com/seven-jeeps-you-never-knew-existed-1722504955

Neat...I like the FC trucks, I've seen a few at classic car shows in Ohio and Az over the last decade..

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 7:45 PM, dfelt said:

Have to say that having cut the cord to the traditional TV companies has been liberating.

I moved my parents and sisters off Comcast or what I call Comblastic probably 10 years ago to Fios TV which was way better at a lower cost, but after cost increases, I dropped Fios TV and landline phone 2 years ago and have been very happy with Netflix and Hulu. Yes, I missed my local channels but could not justify what was charged to just get local. I tried an HD antenna and for me it worked great. 

My parents and one sister wanted to cut the cord too finally and I tried the Lava 8008 HD antenna that works great for me on top of a hill with them, but discovered they live in a hole and do not get good reception. 

As such, when I researched above, I ended up going with YouTube TV for $40 a month. Sharing this cost with my parents and one sister. so all 3 of us have accounts in my Family group and can now see over 600 HD channels and all local. Have to say this is the future and really does show that we no longer need all the crazy costs of the other TV providers.

Have a decent internet access and YouTube TV and you have a superior package compared to Comcast / xFinity or Fios TV or any other traditional provider.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"If it was not for their CUVs, this company would be hurting big time."

Insert any automaker. 🙄

Yup and I stand by my statement! :P

I've been happy since cutting the cord when I moved to Ohio.  Though I do miss having a lot of NFL...Direct TV Now streaming isn't available here.   

Without cable, I'm using streaming services--Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Brit Box, Acorn, MHz, HBO over my Kindle Fire TV.  Added up, the monthly fees are still cheaper than Cox cable or ATT cable would be here.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

44 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've been happy since cutting the cord when I moved to Ohio.  Though I do miss having a lot of NFL...Direct TV Now streaming isn't available here.   

Without cable, I'm using streaming services--Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Brit Box, Acorn, MHz, HBO over my Kindle Fire TV.  Added up, the monthly fees are still cheaper than Cox cable or ATT cable would be here.

Have you checked out YouTube TV? I find it has all of that in one package just about. Really happy with it.

16 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've tried YouTube TV, but I had to use Chromecast for it.  YouTube being a Google property, doesn't work on the Amazon platform as they are competitors. 

I am a Roku fan, works great and with pretty much any service.  I mostly use it with Netflix and Amazon Prime, but used it with YoutubeTV recently too and it worked great.

Have to use Comcast for internet since we don't have FIOS service in our area but has been cable tv free for quite some time now.

Edited by ykX
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've tried YouTube TV, but I had to use Chromecast for it.  YouTube being a Google property, doesn't work on the Amazon platform as they are competitors. 

Got it, I have Roku boxes, so never thought about the Chromecast stick or Firestick. I try and stay agnostic to anyone platform for change of supplier.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I haven't tried Roku, been happy with Amazon--first had the Firestick and now the Fire TV box.   I may switch to Apple TV, though...since that would go w/ my other Apple hardware. 

Getting all your Apples lined up in a row! :smilewide:

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/23343/2018-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-is-the-most-hellish-hellcat

Very cool real video of track time in the Jeep GC Trackhawk. Love it.

LOL, too funny in the Touchscreen Haters tour of the Tesla Model 3.

http://www.thedrive.com/video/23350/a-touchscreen-haters-tour-of-the-tesla-model-3-touchscreen

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 9.19.12 PM.png

Today I got in my truck, started it up, backed halfway down the driveway and glanced at the clock. 11:01.

All the 1's and 0's maybe it is telling you someone in your household needs to work in the computer industry. :P 

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I dunno- I keep thinking of the Independence Day movie and the 'buried signal'. This one doesn't seem to be counting down tho. 🤔

Maybe it is the Day After of when the next ice age will start! 🤷‍♂️

https://api.motorsport.tv/embed/Qx5fZf2h-mil-spec-hummer-h1

Very cool video on a new builder of H1 Hummers with the Duramax Diesel motor. 520HP 1000 lb-ft of torque and a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds. These Hummers Rock! :D 

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

I cannot tell from here, is that an Autocar, White, Diamond T, or some other kind of truck checking the junk in the Ford's trunk?  How come it's all guys ogling it?

Only a guy would be excited about junk in the trunk of an old Ford. :P 

On PTO this coming week. Gonna get the auto's ready for fall / winter. Wash / Detail / Wax / New Wipers. Then that is done. Doing some honey-do list stuff too. Off to do the yard work. Ciao

I periodically see these two vehicles around, and wish I saw more of them, and it's a real close call as to which one I like more (same engine/transmission/chassis, more or less):

early 90s Olds Toronado:

front 3/4

1992-oldsmobile-toronado-frontside_oltor

fear 3/4

91128201990106.jpg

interior / dashboard

1992_oldsmobile_toronado_2_dr_trofeo_cou

OR

early 90s Buick Riviera:

front 3/4

imagick-69033-380-283-1.jpg

rear 3/4

1989%20Buick%20Riviera_2.jpg

interior / dashboard

55966.jpg

Tough choice!

They were the end of the line for GM's history laden personal luxury coupes.

Olds in this time period (well; the '70s into the '90s) tended to make very asymetrical dashes, where the passenger side not only was distinctively featureless, but much less physically space-occupying. I never cared for that; IMO a car is X wide and that is obviously embraced everywhere else, so to 'chop out' the pass side of the dash somehow 'goes against nature'. And here; the Riviera is even MORE so.

• Agree 1

Finally someone built a bug with a real motor. 572 V8

current photo

621 HP with 645 lb-ft of Torque! That is a proper bug! :P 

Full Story here, very cool read! 

https://www.theblock.com/article/2018/august/SmallCarBigBlock.html?evar36=MRM_eml_CPfuel_eNews_Sept_adhoc_hr_0918_15457081876

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

Olds in this time period (well; the '70s into the '90s) tended to make very asymetrical dashes, where the passenger side not only was distinctively featureless, but much less physically space-occupying. I never cared for that; IMO a car is X wide and that is obviously embraced everywhere else, so to 'chop out' the pass side of the dash somehow 'goes against nature'. And here; the Riviera is even MORE so.

Good point.

One has to see these cars in motion.  As for the exterior,  the Toro is more svelte looking all the way around, especially when the retractable headlamps are exposed.  I saw one on the Oregon Coast once in the driftwood metallic color and with alloy wheels, and it looked better than the Riv.  The Riv's front grille is too shallow, as is the Toro's, and those great rear tail lamps of the Riv don't look as good from some angles when you get a view of the thick, flanked rear fender.

Your point for the dash is well taken.  The Toro's almost looks Cutlass or Alero grade to the right of the center stack.  The Riv's is more nicely finished.  The right side reminds me more of older DeVilles and Fleetwoods with that large glove box.  Also, the finishing of the huge doors on the Riv is nicer than on the Toro.

However, the Riv's IP main cluster graphics were electriconic in these years, IIRC, while the Toro's base ones were mechanical dials.  Had they been basic dials in the Riv, I'd take the Riv's interior.  Sadly, the Toro lost the retro trestle shifter of the model right before it (same chassis).

Overall, I'd go Toro between these two.

I just discovered something.  In the GM Online Order guide, under "All-New Silverado FLEET" and "All-New Sierra FLEET" they list a regular cab... but not in the non-fleet section.

I will need clarification on this because if it is true it is a crappy way to treat customers.  A regular cab cannot be sold to an individual?🤬

8 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I just discovered something.  In the GM Online Order guide, under "All-New Silverado FLEET" and "All-New Sierra FLEET" they list a regular cab... but not in the non-fleet section.

I will need clarification on this because if it is true it is a crappy way to treat customers.  A regular cab cannot be sold to an individual?🤬

It may make sense in a low trim level for commercial use.  But maybe GM thinks only 0.0000005% of private consumers would be interested in one, so they are passing on it for now.   The only pic of a regular cab '19 I've seen so far is a nasty base trim one..

images-18.jpeg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

In looking at nearby dealers '19 stock, 100% are the 'double cabs'. Fairly typical practice to produce a popular body style exclusively in a new generation, before bringing the many variations online.
I was looking for crew cabs and didn't find any yet. It's very very early in production.

EDIT :: Sierras seems to be a different mix so far. Local GMC dealer has 4 NU '19s; all crew cabs/short boxes, 2 Denalis, 2 SLTs.

Edited by balthazar

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

It would not be so "nasty" with the chrome bumper/alloy wheel package and the 5.3.  It would be the one I'd buy.

Agreed...white with that all black front just looks dreadful, IMO

As far as regular cabs go, I think the '14-15 Silverado or Sierra in regular cab shortbed form is one of the best looking GM pickups of the modern era..

elegant-silverado-single-cab-at-post.jpg

images-19.jpeg

• Like 2