Random Thoughts Thread

14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I rarely post non-manufacturer "concept" art... but this was just dead sexy.   Cadillac could totally pull this off and make a coupe with actual distinction over something like the CLS or 6-series jellybeans.

42412943_459374181218001_4769897031470678016_o.jpg

I've seen that pic..it's delicious...love the squared roofline and decklid..would like to see clearly defined forms like that return...

• Agree 3

39 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Was judged 953 points out of 1000. Only thing I see that seems non-stock is the chrome center caps. Up for auction at Barret-Jackson.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 8.23.32 PM.png

Sharp...do you plan to have yours look like this, or are you going to keep the patina? 

• Agree 1

^ Ya, ya, ya! I 've looked 2 over (exterior) and 'I got no problem wit dat' whatsoever.
Was curious about the complexity of the front end- no problem. Was curious about the front fender 'swish'- no problem.
I think it's the most striking Silverado in decades (yet I don't know WHY exactly).

I have an '04 (bought 2nd hand on '06) and I've never thought it was a "good looking" truck. Passable, decent, yet not "good".
Sat in a brand new '18 tonight, wasn't really impressed. A few features were neat, others I didn't care for.

I'm still gunning for a '19. Maybe a leftover in 12 months...

• Agree 1

On 9/24/2018 at 8:35 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

42412943_459374181218001_4769897031470678016_o.jpg

For the most part, I like it.  Getting cars styled just right often comes down to millimeters.  I like the rear tail lamps, trunk lid, notchback/backlite, and turning indicators in the wheel wells.  I don't like the busy chain link grille.  Also, the size of the rear side window, belt line, and placement of the Eldorado badge could use some fine tuning, but are definitely a step in the right direction.  I'm all for grand coupes like this returning and, yes, they'd be better than the fastback jelly bean ones.  I currently own the first sedan I've ever owned because of the absence of GM coupes.

'09 Malibu is gone, 9 years & 134K miles, a good car overall but started to have some minor issues at the end, decided to let it go. Going to miss one of the nicest sedan designs of that decade, IMO. Broke our SOP and kept the 'family sedan' past 110K miles. In rolls the replacement, a '16 Malibu LT, 28K miles.

• Agree 4

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

WOW who wouldn't???

2018-sema-chevrolet-silverado-highcountry-concept-003-1.jpg

That picture actually reminds me of either the Toyota or Nissan full size I saw the other night and was forgettable. This truck is Meh. That front end is a busy mess. PASS. GMC is way better.

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

For the most part, I like it.  Getting cars styled just right often comes down to millimeters.  I like the rear tail lamps, trunk lid, notchback/backlite, and turning indicators in the wheel wells.  I don't like the busy chain link grille.  Also, the size of the rear side window, belt line, and placement of the Eldorado badge could use some fine tuning, but are definitely a step in the right direction.  I'm all for grand coupes like this returning and, yes, they'd be better than the fastback jelly bean ones.  I currently own the first sedan I've ever owned because of the absence of GM coupes.

I think you hit this right on, tweaks is all that is needed, the only thing I am puzzled by is your comment on the busy grill. Is there a front facing image that shows this differently as I do not see the grill in this side profile as busy.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

That front end is a busy mess. PASS. GMC is way better.

step brothers yep GIF

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I do think Ram is the best looker of the 4, but in a way, I find the Silvie the boldest.

That's like saying the Prius is the boldest hybrid... They're both "bold" in the same way.

Prius1.jpg

Prius2.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I would not. Ram and F150 look soooooo much better than the Silverado. 

I actually agree with you. Don't faint but I also really like the looks of the Ford super duty.

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

'09 Malibu is gone, 9 years & 134K miles, a good car overall but started to have some minor issues at the end, decided to let it go. Going to miss one of the nicest sedan designs of that decade, IMO. Broke our SOP and kept the 'family sedan' past 110K miles. In rolls the replacement, a '16 Malibu LT, 28K miles.

Congrats...and still no Challenger.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I actually agree with you. Don't faint but I also really like the looks of the Ford super duty.

The Super Dirty is a hit or miss to me. Some trims it looks really good and others it looks tacky and almost cheap for how much truck you're getting. 

This reminds me, I'm really intrigued about the new HD's from Ram and Chevy. 

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That's like saying the Prius is the boldest hybrid... They're both "bold" in the same way.

Listen bub- I've got a hard crush developing, so you're not going to be able to tell me anything. ;)

Seriously, I don't see them the same at all. Prius looks like someone reversed the crusher lever before it got irreversibly mashed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Listen bub- I've got a hard crush developing, so you're not going to be able to tell me anything. ;)

Seriously, I don't see them the same at all. Prius looks like someone reversed the crusher lever before it got irreversibly mashed.

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 5.20.20 PM.png

Yup. The're both pretty ugly.. The Chevy looks much better with the chrome bar body color as it seems to hide some of the nastiness going on around the headlight/fender area. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yup. The're both pretty ugly.. The Chevy looks much better with the chrome bar body color as it seems to hide some of the nastiness going on around the headlight/fender area. 

They both are trying too hard stylistically to be weird.   The previous gen Silverado was at it's best in 14-15, then it got overly busy w/ the '16 MCE.  The new one just has too many fussy front end details and random contours on the fenders, IMO.  I like the front end styling on the '14-15 and the previous generation from around 2010. Clean, no nonsense.  Not trying to be agressively wierd.

2010-chevrolet-silverado 1500 extended cab-frontside_cts1e101.jpg

images-20.jpeg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

'10-15s are too safe and BO-RING. '10 looks good above the bumper, but the bumper with those cinder blocks on either ends just doesn't look integrated. Also always looks like it's tipping forward/loose. I have no complaints about the '15, but it's time to stir things up. Remember the Silverado MCE recently where people were wondering if 'Chevy went far enough / won't look new' to too many people? Ta-da!

• Like 1

Friend of mine just bought a new crewcab LT Chevy, 2018 as he said the new 2019 looks like it had been in the cardboard compactor in the front being all squished. He could not accept the terrible front end compared to the 2018.

See the source image

Looks like a pile of cardboard in the baler.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

You're lucky my printer ran out of red ink after my downvote spree in here last night, or there would have been a fresh one assigned to the above post.

:roflmao: I help you out and downvote you since you ran out. :P

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

:roflmao: WOW, This does not go well for the cops when they do not understand technology let alone new auto's.

Way too funny, Clearly we need to educate them POPO on what 21st century auto's are all about. I still think the interior of the Tesla 3 sucks.

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

:roflmao: WOW, This does not go well for the cops when they do not understand technology let alone new auto's.

Way too funny, Clearly we need to educate them POPO on what 21st century auto's are all about. I still think the interior of the Tesla 3 sucks.

Well, at least the cop was nice about it....still laugh about the ac part though.....

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 3:32 PM, ccap41 said:

The Super Dirty is a hit or miss to me. Some trims it looks really good and others it looks tacky and almost cheap for how much truck you're getting. 

This reminds me, I'm really intrigued about the new HD's from Ram and Chevy. 

All three truck makers are building interesting stuff.

• Agree 2

Unusual to see a 6 spd automatic in whatever that is. Parking brake on the right?  Ignition next to a rotary dial...hmmm.  Engine turned dash trim.  T-handle controls.  Looks 60s...makes me think Facel.  Edit-not Facel. I see German writing on the text bubble. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

11 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Unusual to see a 6 spd automatic in whatever that is. Parking brake on the right?  Ignition next to a rotary dial...hmmm.  Engine turned dash trim.  T-handle controls.  Looks 60s...makes me think Facel.  Edit-not Facel. I see German writing on the text bubble. 

It's the '59 Cadillac Cyclone. But there's no 6-spd auto in this era, so the person who posted the pics from an article translated/confirmed my theory: it has a 3-spd auto with a 2-spd rear. T-handle is probably the rear axle shifter.

Autumn is here and it's apparent more and more every day.  I like beaches and summer but autumn is my favorite season:  yellow stands of aspen in the West and orange stands of maple in the East, at the very least.

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Autumn is here and it's apparent more and more every day.  I like beaches and summer but autumn is my favorite season:  yellow stands of aspen in the West and orange stands of maple in the East, at the very least.

Yeah, ready for a cool down...been a warm summer...

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Yeah, ready for a cool down...been a warm summer...

I am very Happy for Fall and the rain. Cleaning out the ash / smoke from all of Canada's and eastern Washington fires is a nice breath of fresh air!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I am very Happy for Fall and the rain. Cleaning out the ash / smoke from all of Canada's and eastern Washington fires is a nice breath of fresh air!

I never skied there when I lived in the general area.  I had gotten sort of bored with it while living in Northern California (fighting the crowds up the narrow roads to Lake Tahoe, snowboarder punks, etc.).  But, looking at the video, it looked like there was a good choice of runs, with some people creating their very own through the trees (not my thing!).

Edited by trinacriabob