Random Thoughts Thread

12 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I never skied there when I lived in the general area.  I had gotten sort of bored with it while living in Northern California (fighting the crowds up the narrow roads to Lake Tahoe, snowboarder punks, etc.).  But, looking at the video, it looked like there was a good choice of runs, with some people creating their very own through the trees (not my thing!).

Stevens is awesome tons of open terrain and easy to get up and down from. Nothing like the craziness of getting to the greater tahoe lake area.

• Agree 1

On 10/4/2018 at 10:48 AM, dfelt said:

Stevens is awesome tons of open terrain and easy to get up and down from. Nothing like the craziness of getting to the greater tahoe lake area.

I believe it.  Especially since the leeward side of the Cascades is so wide open and sparsely populated ... and "red."  However, I'm past my "into skiing" phase.

From the AACA board, and to those who say 'you can't drive a vintage car on modern roads' :

Leaving New Orleans our way from home to the Glidden Tour in Idaho 3 weeks ago our 7.3L Ford Excursion's turbocharger failed. We backed the 1941 Cadillac out of the trailer, loaded all of our tools, spares, and luggage - determined to make the 500 miles before dark.

The first 100+ miles I kept the speeds between 50-55 mph, feeling leary of the 80 mph speed limit on I-80 and big trucks doing much more than that while coming up behind us. The fuel stop/restroom stop showed that at the fuel fill-up we were averaging 12.5 mpg - just as it always does. With a very long distance to go and fast traffic behind us I stepped up the speed to 60-65, averaging 63 mph and after 140 miles (on the GPS as well as the odometer) the rest/fuel stop fill-up showed and average of 15.2 mpg. The final 260 miles was ahead of us and I knew we'd still be on the road just after sunset. Since the engine didn't protest I stepped up the speed a bit more. The GPS showed that we had averaged 73 mph for the last 260 miles, but the astounding thing was that the now fully loaded '41 Caddy convertible coupe had averaged 16.9 mpg at the 73 mph - all this on low-octane Ethanol gas from Pilot Truck Stops.

The up-side is that the 77 year-old essentially original now-44,xxx mile Caddy convertible performed beautifully at highway speeds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Walking Dead was fantastic last night. Maybe I'm sentimental but I really liked Judith's drawing in the background of her and Carl

Second...

Man I wish Cadillac would realize its wealth of heritage and truly go after the Germans... covering all bases necessary.

Friend of mine has a Mercedes AMG GTR. Its almost as quick as my Manual Z06, but not as fast as the Automatics.. but shit.. who cares? Its a segment that if I wanted to buy a Cadillac in.. I couldn't.. and it SUCKS that GM won't make it a priority while they will have a FE Corvette and a ME Corvette being sold. The additional investment to make a Cadillac Corvette would be nominal.. and even tho there would be probably be only about 30% of the sales the Vette gets monthly.. IF DONE RIGHT.. it would be more of a image vehicle for Cadillac than this is for Benz. And when I say DONE RIGHT I simply mean styling and interior. Initially I wouldn't even venture to tell them to switch to the BlackWing engine.. just stick with the LT4 and LT5 for V-Sport and VSeries notions. YES!!! The 400HP+ LGW 3.0LTT V6 would be my base. 

Mercedes-AMG-GTR-gear-patrol-4-1940x1300

• Agree 2

I parenthetically referred to this car in car spotting, but this would be "random."

Monte Carlo refresh with the best alloy wheel design

This is a HUGE improvement in terms of an upgrade compared to the downsized 1978.  The chassis on this was the same.  The sheet metal was different.  Love those wheels.  You didn't see them often.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

Went and saw the movie 'Bullitt' at my local theatre, it is having a 50th anniversary theatrical re-release.  I've seen the movie at least a dozen times and own a DVD of it, but was fun to see on the big screen.   Before the movie, instead of the usual movie trailers, was a Ford promotional video for the new '19 Mustang Bullitt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

https://insideevs.com/nhtsa-tesla-model-3-safest-vehicle-tested/ 

Very cool so the Tesla 3 is the safest auto period of all the cars out there. The videos in the above links of how the car handles is very impressive. Highest rating as Musk tweeted out weeks before the testing.

This is good news as they are raising the bar for personal safety in an auto.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

All the engineering, race-testing, performance data that has taken solid rubber 3-in wide tires to -say- 375-22s degree of traction (nevermind slicks) tossed RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW in order to look like an insufferable idiot. Might as well use solid rubber Model T tires.

Exactly....

Some questions from the Experiential World Inventory (test for schizophrenia) (answered either true or false)  ~
• I seem to have discovered the secrets of the universe.
• Animals try to fool me.
• I am afraid I may forget my own name.
• People are parasites.
• I sometimes keep talking to convince myself I exist.
• Someone is making copies of me.
• I am in the far, far distance.
and two of my most favorite :
• I do not know what my hands will do next.
• The terrors of hell approach.

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Some questions from the Experiential World Inventory (test for schizophrenia) (answered either true or false)  ~
• I seem to have discovered the secrets of the universe. TRUE, MultiCultural
• Animals try to fool me. FALSE - I rule all
• I am afraid I may forget my own name. FALSE - Everyone knows my name
• People are parasites. TRUE - Just another bug in the cosmos
• I sometimes keep talking to convince myself I exist. FALSE
• Someone is making copies of me. FALSE, The world can only handle one of me.
• I am in the far, far distance. True, I own the back, front and middle 40. You never know where I am!
and two of my most favorite :
• I do not know what my hands will do next. True, They have a mind of their own.
• The terrors of hell approach. False, I already have been there!

:duck:

• Agree 1

Maintaining the power, performance, driving range, durability, capability and stremf of the legendary Duramax engine, while adhering to righteous governmental oversight, GM today announces the 2020 Silverado 3500 HD!  HOLLA!  :smilewide:

AntBee-Electric-Cart-1-Seater_09.jpg

• Haha 4

@ocnblu  Gotta be honest.. I've been a gear-head all my life.. but I don't get your hate of EVs. If they look good, go fast, and can handle.. I really don't have issue with them and see the positive ramifications for the future considering this planet is bordering on 8 Billion people. Get rid of half of them and the ICE is fine I guess.. but the environment simply can not sustain the ICE much longer. If your issue is being able to WORK ON THEM... tear one down.. and learn how it works. Ironically U have a Henry Ford Quote in your sig... here's another one.. that rings true and should be remembered as we move forward into the future

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Anyway... As the industry continues to shift towards a CUV heavy line-up.. I love that GM is standing fast on still producing cars as well. Got me to thinking that perhaps the one things that FCA has done right is stick to their guns on design.. which sounds crazy considering that they really haven't redesigned much in the last 10 years. Think about it... their biggest sellers are the Challenger, Charger, Jeeps, and Ram.. all of which essentially look the same as they did 10 years ago. and none of which are riding on any new platforms sides a few augmentations here and there. THIS IS TOYOTA PHILOSOPHY that won them a lot of perceived positivity. Just keep improving on instead of re-engineering and there is no way the design/engineering can let U down.. because its the same thing over and over again. In fact.. people become used to it even if its nothing extraordinary and almost need it to look like that. BASICALLY if the Camaro had of stayed on ZETA or even switched to Alpha but retained this look (including the taillight assembly) sales would still be thru the roof:

IMGP0880.JPG

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

@ocnblu  Gotta be honest.. I've been a gear-head all my life.. but I don't get your hate of EVs. If they look good, go fast, and can handle.. I really don't have issue with them and see the positive ramifications for the future considering this planet is bordering on 8 Billion people. Get rid of half of them and the ICE is fine I guess.. but the environment simply can not sustain the ICE much longer. If your issue is being able to WORK ON THEM... tear one down.. and learn how it works. Ironically U have a Henry Ford Quote in your sig... here's another one.. that rings true and should be remembered as we move forward into the future

👍👍

• Agree 1

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 11.36.03 PM.png

29 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

There was a LOT of this going on in the '60s. Ford had production SOHC big blocks, and Pontiac developed (but never produced) SOHC and DOHC 421 V8s also. There were other looks into OHC valvetrains, and of course Pontiac produced their OHC I6 for a number of years.

102d13b942d8cfafd9c6d139e49004b0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I've recently tried out a bunch of cars. Here is the list. I want to know if there are any, in particular, you think I should focus on.  If you could pick your top 3.
GMC Terrain Denali, Chevy Cruze RS Red-line, CT6 Platinum SuperCruise, Infiniti QX80, Chevy Camaro Convertible, '19 Jetta, '19 Subaru Ascent, 19 Infiniti QX50, '19 Altima AWD, '19 M-B CLS 450 Designo, Mazda Miata

The following were off-road only - Wrangler, GMC Sierra AT4, Ram Rebel

I have a new Avalon Limited that a client just bought who will let me test it also.

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've recently tried out a bunch of cars. Here is the list. I want to know if there are any, in particular, you think I should focus on.  If you could pick your top 3.
GMC Terrain Denali, Chevy Cruze RS Red-line, CT6 Platinum SuperCruise, Infiniti QX80, Chevy Camaro Convertible, '19 Jetta, '19 Subaru Ascent, 19 Infiniti QX50, '19 Altima AWD, '19 M-B CLS 450 Designo, Mazda Miata

I have a new Avalon Limited that a client just bought who will let me test it also.

Miata

Off-road Will be interesting

maybe Subaru Ascent, how it compares to others

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

My top three would be CLS, Rebel, AT4 in no particular order. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

All of the GMs! Mostly because I haven't been able to get a hold of the person who handles the GM stuff here in Detroit.

[jealous rage] DAMMIT! [/jealous rage]
Don't care for the rims on that one- I'm fussy that way (98% of aftermarket rims are worse than factory).

I have no 2nd choice. OK, the CT6 if it was the 4.2TT (not out yet, right?) - then the Cruze RS 2nd.

Edited by balthazar