Random Thoughts Thread

When you're a kid and want to piss someone off, you might toilet paper their car or house.

When you're an adult and want to do the same, you can't be quite so juvenile.  One time I was sitting in a tavern that had good happy hour food specials and some steak Saturdays and the crowd tilted toward blue collar and biker.  I ate and left.  That was about it. They had a jukebox.  I thought this could be funny.  You go over to the jukebox as you are about to finish your food and program the following songs ...

1. Donna Summer - "McArthur Park"
  2. Andrea True Connection - "More, More, More"
  3. Odyssey - "Native New Yorker"

... and get the hell out of the place.  I'm sure most of the people inside would be steamed.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

When you're a kid and want to piss someone off, you might toilet paper their car or house.

When you're an adult and want to do the same, you can't be quite so juvenile.  One time I was sitting in a tavern that had good happy hour food specials and some steak Saturdays and the crowd tilted toward blue collar and biker.  I ate and left.  That was about it. They had a jukebox.  I thought this could be funny.  You go over to the jukebox as you are about to finish your food and program the following songs ...

1. Donna Summer - "McArthur Park"
  2. Andrea True Connection - "More, More, More"
  3. Odyssey - "Native New Yorker"

... and get the hell out of the place.  I'm sure most of the people inside would be steamed.

Last time I left the pool hall I left them with them with the best of the Spice Girls....😉

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2018 at 9:23 AM, ccap41 said:

The Jet Blade thing doesn't make any sense. It just seems like a worse version of a jet ski. 

Everything else seemed pretty dang neat. 

Any time you can get less surface of your craft contacting the water, the better.  Means more speed. 

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Any time you can get less surface of your craft contacting the water, the better.  Means more speed. 

It also means less control.. at least I would think so because the water is used to "dig in" to turn and even slow down.

10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It also means less control.. at least I would think so because the water is used to "dig in" to turn and even slow down.

Not true, Hydrofoils can turn very well on the water and this seems to do the same thing. Much like a Hydroplane race boat, less than 10% of the boat actually in the water but very stable at turning at high speeds.

• Thanks 1

The weather forecast is much the same here.   Been really nice this week, esp. the last couple of days.   I've been doing a bit of grilling and working a few hours a day sitting on my back patio..

IMG-0006.JPG

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

Speaking of weather...

This is a small town my brother, his wife, my sister, and her husband and kids all live in. Pella, IA. My sister-in-law works for Vermeer. Luckily, everybody was okay. I don't know about everybody in the town though. It ripped through there pretty hard. 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2018/07/19/central-iowa-tornado-weather-storms-vermeer-pella-marshalltown-marshall-courthouse-bondurant-damage/804565002/

This whole campus is Vermeer and here's some of the damage. 

Vermeer1.jpg

Vermeer2.jpg

Edited by ccap41
  • Sad 1

OUCH what a service hell, but if you can afford the car, you can afford the $21,000 service cost. :puke:

https://www.motor1.com/news/258155/dubai-dealer-high-end-cars/

WOW, you can drool a lake here at this dealership.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

OUCH what a service hell, but if you can afford the car, you can afford the $21,000 service cost. :puke:

https://www.motor1.com/news/258155/dubai-dealer-high-end-cars/

WOW, you can drool a lake here at this dealership.

I actually watched almost all of that last week and it is amazing how much needs to come apart before they can start actually changing the oil. Also, 16 drain plugs?!?! I realize it's a dry sump system but holy balls... that's a lot of "low spots". 

• Agree 1

https://www3.forbes.com/business/11-best-bargains-in-three-year-old-used-cars/?utm_campaign=11-Best-Bargains-Cars&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=gannettcompany-detroitnews&utm_term=11+3-Year-Old+Cars+Experts+Agree+Are+a+Steal!

I have to agree with Forbes on this list of cars that are a steal when they come off their 3yr lease. Best CPOs to buy and Cadillac ATS and CTS are on the list along with Mercedes-Benz C & E and BMW 3 & 5 plus a couple fords and some Asians. :P 

31 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Such fantastic, bubbly proportions.
This is the only place I look for "curves". ;)

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 11.38.50 PM.png

Just like a proper bubble butt on a woman! :P 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

You seem to be confusing 'car' and 'woman'.

Nah, Just my 1970's red blooded American boy came out on two things i love, Hot Rods and Woman! :P 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Nah, Just my 1970's red blooded American boy came out on two things i love, Hot Rods and Woman! :P 

It's funny, those humpy 49-51 Mercs have zero interest to me, always thought it was a generational thing.   On the other hand, I do like Mercurys of the late 60s and early 70s..

hqdefault.jpg

1969_mercury_marquis-pic-10594-640x480.jpeg

maxresdefault-5.jpg

7528678340_863457df86_b.jpg

maxresdefault-6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cool Video of the woman who led the group that designed the ZR2 truck and getting muddy with it.

http://www.thedrive.com/video/21862/getting-muddy-in-the-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-with-the-woman-who-brought-it-to-life

I for one would not rent out my auto's as renters tend to not take care of an auto and flog them. Yet with that said I wish GM well with this new rental model.

https://www.maven.com/us/?evar25=GM_COM_Our_Brands

Hmmmm 🤔

Gotta Love when a Dealer keeps an old look alive on new trucks.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/16762/chevrolet-dealer-keeping-the-classic-pickup-look-alive-with-this-cheyenne-super-10-build

Cheyenne Super 10

?q=70&w=1440&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotco

• Agree 1

On 7/24/2018 at 9:03 AM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's funny, those humpy 49-51 Mercs have zero interest to me, always thought it was a generational thing.   On the other hand, I do like Mercurys of the late 60s and early 70s..

Nah- it's a design appreciation thing (we're the same generation... tho I've always appreciated cars outside my generation/ what I was exposed to growing up).

By the '70s. Mercs were huge cohesiveless clunks of driftwood; blocky, ugly, veloured-to-death and no appeal. My God: padded vinyl headlight doors! It was the beginning of the brand's demise as a 'second fiddle' to Fords, when just a few years earlier, the first gen Cougar was an upgrade to it's Ford sibling and the Cyclone Spoilers were thick in the musclecar craze. Merc had a great run '39-69 or so... but there's nothing pedestal-worthy after '70.

Edited by balthazar

Porsche has a very loyal fan following and yet with that said they have really only ever built a couple cars that I truly liked.

Porsche 928, their first front engine car that I really liked and then their traditional mid engine but sexy 959.

Amazing what prices are happening for the 959.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/22402/1985-porsche-959-prototype-expected-to-go-for-around-1-5-million-at-auction

I like the sliding comparison of photos of incoming model versus outgoing model on this Porsche CUV.

https://www.motor1.com/news/258583/porsche-macan-side-by-side/

I have to say I still love the look of the Chrysler Me Four Twelve and they should have built it.

https://www.motor1.com/news/258494/chrysler-me-four-twelve-concept-we-forgot/

• Agree 1

2019 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado build & price is up at the NADA website for extended and crew cabs if anyone is interested.  WT Z71 (comes with 18" alloys and Duratrac tires) 4X4 extended cab the way I would buy it:  $41,995.  WT 4X4 with Chrome package the way I'd want it:  $41,205.  I imagine the regular cab, long bed to be about $2k cheaper.  These prices are with the tried and true 4.3 V6.  With a ~400 pound lighter truck, it should do just fine.

2019 Colorado Z71 Extended Cab is now $38,735 in Crush (extra $395 for this color) with spray-in liner, V6, trailering, CHEVROLET grille, step bars and floor liners.

Silverado seems competitive with Ram, pricewise.

Edited by ocnblu

I could use some help here.

If your luggage doesn't make a connection and there are many connecting flights later that day, aren't you entitled to some form of compensation, even if they bring it to you the next day ... and you're at a hotel?  Also, for a nonstop flight in the morning where you are checking in over 1.5 hours ahead of departure and the same thing happens, shouldn't they give you some token money, even though it comes the following day? A nonstop flight! It never got loaded onto the plane!

No one is going to go out and start buying things if there's a probability of it arriving in a day.  However, it means one may have to sleep in their clothes or in their birthday suit, or something between the two, not to mention the stress of wondering if the luggage will in fact arrive.  I thought there's a token amount that is reasonable for such inconveniences. 

I thought this convention about some token remuneration was written down somewhere.   Luggage losses and delays are a minute percentage of all the luggage that they move.

Looking for some input and information ...

Just now, trinacriabob said:

Edited by trinacriabob

16 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I could use some help here.

If your luggage doesn't make a connection and there are many connecting flights later that day, aren't you entitled to some form of compensation, even if they bring it to you the next day ... and you're at a hotel?  Also, for a nonstop flight in the morning where you are checking in over 1.5 hours ahead of departure and the same thing happens, shouldn't they give you some token money, even though it comes the following day? A nonstop flight! It never got loaded onto the plane!

No one is going to go out and start buying things if there's a probability of it arriving in a day.  However, it means one may have to sleep in their clothes or in their birthday suit, or something between the two, not to mention the stress of wondering if the luggage will in fact arrive.  I thought there's a token amount that is reasonable for such inconveniences. 

I thought this convention about some token remuneration was written down somewhere.   Luggage losses and delays are a minute percentage of all the luggage that they move.

Looking for some input and information ...

I honestly do not remember the federal details, but every airline does have a policy you need to review in regards to what they will do and not do or cover and the amount of time they promise to rectify the issue. Here is the two links that cover what you are asking for from our GOV:

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/baggage

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

To quote the site:

Limits on liability

Airlines assert a limit on their liability for delayed, lost or damaged checked baggage.  When your luggage and its contents are worth more than the liability limit, you may want to purchase "excess valuation," if available, from the airline as you check in. This is not insurance, but it will increase the carrier's potential liability. The airline may refuse to sell excess valuation on some items that are especially valuable or breakable, such as antiques, musical instruments, jewelry, manuscripts, negotiable securities and cash.

On domestic trips, the airline can invoke a liability ceiling that is regulated by DOT and that is adjusted for inflation every two years. That limit is currently $3,500 per passenger.

On international round trips that originate in the United States, the liability limit is set by a treaty called the Montreal Convention. This treaty also governs liability on international round trips that originate in another country that has ratified this Convention, and one-way trips between the U.S. and such a country. This international limit is adjusted for inflation every five years; it is currently 1,131 Special Drawing Rights.  The SDR is a currency surrogate that floats daily; go to www.imf.org[external link] to see the current value in dollars.  At this writing 1,131 SDRs was worth about $1,675. The international limit applies to domestic segments of an international journey. This is the case even if the domestic and international flights are on separate tickets and you claim and re-check your bag between the two flights.

Keep in mind that the liability limits are maximums. If the depreciated value of your property is worth less than the liability limit, this lower amount is what you will be offered. If the airline's settlement doesn't fully reimburse your loss, check your homeowner's or renter's insurance; it sometimes covers losses away from the residence. Some credit card companies and travel agencies offer optional or even automatic supplemental baggage coverage. Special liability requirements apply to the domestic transportation of assistive devices used by passengers with disabilities.  See the publication New Horizons: Information for the Air Traveler with a Disability.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I honestly do not remember the federal details, but every airline does have a policy you need to review in regards to what they will do and not do or cover and the amount of time they promise to rectify the issue. Here is the two links that cover what you are asking for from our GOV:

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/baggage

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Thank you.  I have scanned various links and they talk about reimbursing what is expected and reasonable for what you purchased to tide you over.  If the bags are lost, the likelihood of finding the things you packed (clothing, specifically) in another geographic locale would be unlikely and a major inconvenience.  It would take a week just ot shop for the clothing that had to be replaced.  And, if the bags are simply coming in late and a person had a rough night because of it, that's a major stressor, too.  As they say, "It's not over until the fat lady sings."  Here, that means that a person can't relax until the bags are reunited with them ... and not just their knowing that they never left the previous airport and another airline will be carrying them for the airline that missed the mark and that the bags will be with you the next day.  Thanks for the links.  I'll go through them again.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, dfelt said:

Gotta Love when a Dealer keeps an old look alive on new trucks.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/16762/chevrolet-dealer-keeping-the-classic-pickup-look-alive-with-this-cheyenne-super-10-build

Cheyenne Super 10

?q=70&w=1440&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotco

I would sooo love a truck like that!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Thank you.  I have scanned various links and they talk about reimbursing what is expected and reasonable for what you purchased to tide you over.  If the bags are lost, the likelihood of finding the things you packed (clothing, specifically) in another geographic locale would be unlikely and a major inconvenience.  It would take a week just ot shop for the clothing that had to be replaced.  And, if the bags are simply coming in late and a person had a rough night because of it, that's a major stressor, too.  As they say, "It's not over until the fat lady sings."  Here, that means that a person can't relax until the bags are reunited with them ... and not just their knowing that they never left the previous airport and another airline will be carrying them for the airline that missed the mark and that the bags will be with you the next day.  Thanks for the links.  I'll go through them again.

Check with your credit card that you booked the tickets on. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Check with your credit card that you booked the tickets on. 

I will.  I know that most of them have a layer of features.  My concern is that someone had to have bought something.  I did ... the upcharge to put the bag underneath.  Thanks.