Random Thoughts Thread

Current mood:  took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to get home, normally takes about 40.  Jeep took it like a champ... however the level of moronity on the roads today hit a new level.  Roads were like parking lots everywhere I turned, with intermittent cars and SUVs in the ditches.  I am going to be swamped @ work.

100_2626.JPG

We got about 5 inches last night/this morning as well.

I left an hour earlier than normal and luckily the roads were taken care of and because it was so early there weren't many people on the roads and it only took me about 10 minutes longer than normal just driving a little slower. ..Got to work 45 minutes early.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

She pretty gentle on it? If so and she is staying out of the boost, she has effectively gone from a 2.4 liter to a 2.0 liter.  She also went from a 4-speed auto to a 6-speed auto. 

It will probably end up under 33 after a while, but should still do better than the '09.  You could also just reset the average reading. 

No- the '09 was the 6-spd also. She's not heavy on the pedal but regardless- her driving style certainly hasn't changed either. Will look at resetting, too.

21 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Current mood:  took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to get home, normally takes about 40.  Jeep took it like a champ... however the level of moronity on the roads today hit a new level.  Roads were like parking lots everywhere I turned, with intermittent cars and SUVs in the ditches.  I am going to be swamped @ work.

100_2626.JPG

Job Security my friend, Job Security! :P 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Been freezing rain and sleet here all day... only went out to roll out then roll back in the trash and recycle bins.    Days like this are when I really like working from home. 

Dry here in Seattle, Rain in the city tonight with Snow in the mountains.

After an hour & a half, my wife angrily stomped into a Target to hopefully allow some of the creeping traffic to die down. She's about 10 mins from home NORMALLY on a trip that NORMALLY takes her 35 mins. Her estimate for that 10 mins is another 45.

Guess I'll wander down to the end of the driveway & make sure its passable. Sleeting here for a while now but prob got 4-in. I hate it.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

I know, it absolutely amazed me how paralyzed people were on the roads.  One lady just stopped her Altima literally in the lane of traffic and put her flashers on.  She refused to move and with pantywaists going 10 MPH in the opposing lane it took forever to get around her.  That is just one pathetic example.  I have never seen people react that way over a snow storm that was predicted to happen.  I got at least six inches here, which is more than predicted, and the temp dipped to 28 according to the Jeep (was predicted to not go below 32) but come on people, this is PENNSYLVANIA.  There was an Expedition in the ditch, several little cars at various angles, ditched and smashed, a full size school bus, ass end in the ditch, leaning precariously... it was an absolute disaster.  And Penndot started too late treating and clearing the roads, so by the time they got their butts in gear, all the roads were already absolutely gridlocked so they COULDN'T do anything.

That reminds me of the ice storm I got in on the belt line around Portland in 2005.   I was visiting friends in Beaverton (hilly suburb on westside of Portland), staying at a hotel on the east side of Portland by the airport.   Rather than drive over the hills of the city and back to the hotel, I thought it would be easier/safer in inclement weather to take the belt line freeway that looped around the south side of the city.    Wrong.   It took me 7 hours to drive the roughly 25 miles back to my hotel.    Traffic was moving at under 10 mph most of the time, everything coated in ice w/ freezing rain coming down.   White-knuckle low speed driving.  The white FWD Grand Prix rental I had did well, never skidded.    

I was home before any of the white shit fell & didn't go out in it. My sister & her husband & daughter had a 55 mile trip, should have been 1.5 hrs, they were on the road for 7. I would've purposely driven into a ditch.

When I used to plow, I'd go out on the roads in the middle of the night, like 3 or 4AM, have to drive a (normal) 25 mins. There would be NO ONE on the roads, with 3-4-5 inches down and no plows to be seen, I could safely & happily roll along at 35 in 4WD. I remember stopping in the middle of US Rt 1, getting out to brush some wet snow off the windshield & headlights for a few mins, and never saw another vehicle in either direction on either side of the highway. Kinda incredibly in Jersey.

- - - - -

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 8.50.32 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yes, took me last night 2 hours and 15 minutes for what usually takes about an hour commute.

It was extremely slippery in the  Eastern PA and Central NJ last night, but I managed fine with my RWD car on all-season tires.  Most people were driving 5 miles an hour in their CUVs.

Speaking of tires, my new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S so far have been excellent.  Great dry grip, almost like summer tire, great in hard rain and yesterday in the snow storm they did very good for a UHP all season tire.

Edited by ykX
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

It is amazing how fast snow or the threat of it scares most drivers. I have come to realize that unless you like driving and enjoy it, most people truly are appliance drivers that do not want any change that can shake their world.

We also have too many people that have come from warm dry states with no experience in snow or rain on the roads and their first act is to slow way down to fast and put hazards on as if that is going to make them safer when everyone else around them is driving so much faster.

Truly many idiots that SHOULD NOT have drivers licenses. We really do need to require much more detailed drivers training that includes high speed and slide reaction training.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

It is amazing how fast snow or the threat of it scares most drivers. I have come to realize that unless you like driving and enjoy it, most people truly are appliance drivers that do not want any change that can shake their world.

We also have too many people that have come from warm dry states with no experience in snow or rain on the roads and their first act is to slow way down to fast and put hazards on as if that is going to make them safer when everyone else around them is driving so much faster.

Truly many idiots that SHOULD NOT have drivers licenses. We really do need to require much more detailed drivers training that includes high speed and slide reaction training.

Nasty weather driving forces drivers to focus on driving, which is a distraction from playing on their phone like some are used to....driverless cars are needed for such useless drivers that shouldn't be on the road, IMO... 

I saw the 'moved from dry states' phenomenon when I lived in Colorado..so many people moved in the late 90s-early 00s from Texas and So Cal, had no clue how to drive in inclement weather.  Having grown up driving in NE Ohio, I found Colorado's winter driving easier, since there usually wasn't ice but dry powder.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Been freezing rain and sleet here all day... only went out to roll out then roll back in the trash and recycle bins.    Days like this are when I really like working from home. 

I wish I had that kind of option... 

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

She home by 8. I cook her eggs, bacon, rye toast.

I love breakfast for dinner! 

...or any other meal... 

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I know, it absolutely amazed me how paralyzed people were on the roads.  One lady just stopped her Altima literally in the lane of traffic and put her flashers on.  She refused to move and with pantywaists going 10 MPH in the opposing lane it took forever to get around her.  That is just one pathetic example.  I have never seen people react that way over a snow storm that was predicted to happen. 

That would enrage me. If you're that uncomfortable driving in the snow you could have at least pulled into ANY driveway or parking lot. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That reminds me of the ice storm I got in on the belt line around Portland in 2005.   I was visiting friends in Beaverton (hilly suburb on westside of Portland), staying at a hotel on the east side of Portland by the airport.   Rather than drive over the hills of the city and back to the hotel, I thought it would be easier/safer in inclement weather to take the belt line freeway that looped around the south side of the city.    Wrong.   It took me 7 hours to drive the roughly 25 miles back to my hotel.    Traffic was moving at under 10 mph most of the time, everything coated in ice w/ freezing rain coming down.   White-knuckle low speed driving.  The white FWD Grand Prix rental I had did well, never skidded.    

That. Sounds. Terrible.

Actually, the day I got in a wreck in my Escape two years ago(12/23/16) we got a lot of freezing rain and ice and thankfully I didn't go to work(because of the accident) because the storm hit mid afternoon through rush hour traffic and a few people I work with told me it took them 4-5 hours to get home and there were accidents EVERYWHERE. 

I don't mind snow but ice is just plain scary. 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

I overheard somebody at work one day who said she WILL NOT drive in snow. She hates driving and snow terrifies her. She will find a ride or call in. That just blows my mind.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

I agree but it would be insanely expensive to try and properly prepare for snow or wet conditions on testing or training. I don't even know what they would do for snow but for rain they'd need a wet track like what Tire Rack has for a controlled environment. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

driverless cars are needed for such useless drivers that shouldn't be on the road, IMO... 

That's actually a really good point... I'm now extremely curious how a driver-less car could and would handle inclement weather. I always just think of dry weather for autonomous vehicles but snow, ice, and heavy rain has to be an insane curve ball for the automakers. 

• Like 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

That's actually a really good point... I'm now extremely curious how a driver-less car could and would handle inclement weather. I always just think of dry weather for autonomous vehicles but snow, ice, and heavy rain has to be an insane curve ball for the automakers. 

Yes, I think inclement weather is one of the big issues that will prove difficult to achieving Level 4 or Level 5 autons.  I'm assuming some sort of radar or x-ray cameras could be used to see the road surface under the snow, ice, etc.  

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I agree but it would be insanely expensive to try and properly prepare for snow or wet conditions on testing or training. I don't even know what they would do for snow but for rain they'd need a wet track like what Tire Rack has for a controlled environment. 

I was under the impression that some European countries had foul weather training as part of their driving licensing programs...I know in the US getting a license is trivially easy. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was under the impression that some European countries had foul weather training as part of their driving licensing programs...I know in the US getting a license is trivially easy. 

Yes, it's too easy but the inclement weather testing or practice sounds VERY expensive. It would be nice and great but I can't see it being feasible. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

Yes, it's too easy but the inclement weather testing or practice sounds VERY expensive. It would be nice and great but I can't see it being feasible. 

Yes, not feasible in the US.  Getting a driver's license is a way more expensive and lengthy process in other countries also.. 

@ccap41 @Robert Hall Guy's I know many of the northern European countries do require winter weather training, I know they have mother nature to help out with that as it does cost way more and much longer to become a driver.

To address ccap41 thought on expense, it actually is not that expensive at all as they have snow making equipment that is now pretty common and easy to use. It is used in many southern places to make snow for a few hours for locals / celebrations.

Drivers training should be a 2-3,000 dollar cost to learn to drive, not the 3-500 that the 4 week local driving schools charge for just a couple days a week. It is pathetic.

With a higher cost you would have to factor in the expense of having a lot big enough where you could create / blow snow over it and then have drivers learn what it is like to be on snow. Maybe us a subcompact car on an Ice rink for ice driving, slid training.

I am sure if it was a requirement, we could easily find solutions.

FYI - After Today, I am out on PTO and heading to Eastern Washington Lake Chelan winery area. Got a condo booked and will be walking and drinking myself pickled for the week. Offline till at least Tuesday, see if I can go the whole Thanksgiving day week without being online.

Addicted to everyone here! ;):smilewide:🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

To address ccap41 thought on expense, it actually is not that expensive at all as they have snow making equipment that is now pretty common and easy to use. It is used in many southern places to make snow for a few hours for locals / celebrations.

I don't know what number you're picturing but I'm thinking easily millions per year per state for states that aren't considered "northern". It might be easy to use but we're talking about a football field's worth of snow probably twice a month..? Maybe once a week? You can only cram so many people onto the course at a time and only so many parking lots that are even available to rent and especially if you're talking about owning that much property. 

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Drivers training should be a 2-3,000 dollar cost to learn to drive, not the 3-500 that the 4 week local driving schools charge for just a couple days a week. It is pathetic.

My driver's ed course was a semester in high school with a once a week driving session but I also had my permit at the time so I was driving with my parents. I know driving is a privilege and not everybody deserves it but 2-3k is too much for a lot of families or kids, especially when the kids needs a license to get a job to pay for the stuff. You're basically saying the parents should fork over 2-3k. 

This just does not seem feasible. 

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@ccap41 

FYI - After Today, I am out on PTO and heading to Eastern Washington Lake Chelan winery area. Got a condo booked and will be walking and drinking myself pickled for the week. Offline till at least Tuesday, see if I can go the whole Thanksgiving day week without being online.

Addicted to everyone here! ;):smilewide:🤷‍♂️

Have fun..that sounds like my kind of vacation.  Wine, water and mountains.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Have fun! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I don't know what number you're picturing but I'm thinking easily millions per year per state for states that aren't considered "northern". It might be easy to use but we're talking about a football field's worth of snow probably twice a month..? Maybe once a week? You can only cram so many people onto the course at a time and only so many parking lots that are even available to rent and especially if you're talking about owning that much property. 

My driver's ed course was a semester in high school with a once a week driving session but I also had my permit at the time so I was driving with my parents. I know driving is a privilege and not everybody deserves it but 2-3k is too much for a lot of families or kids, especially when the kids needs a license to get a job to pay for the stuff. You're basically saying the parents should fork over 2-3k. 

This just does not seem feasible. 

Average cost of a commercial snow making machine is $5,000 dollars. Over the life of a business, that is easy to cover in what one would charge customers so you have a place to experience driving on snow. An outdoor ice rink with snow making machine might just be a good thing to consider if all else was equal.

I searched online and it lookes like in Europe Drivers ed is an 800 to 1500 euros course, so I would restate that in the US you could have a much more in depth, detailed drivers ed for 800 to 1500 US dollars.

The point I am making is our current schooling for learning to drive is not enough to really prepare people for driving on public roads. I have driven since I was 12, but then I was already 6' tall then before I got my last 6 inches summer between 9th and 10th grade. Like you I was driving with my parents and without much more than others probably did.

One cannot replace experience of driving with a text book or just a couple lessons.

I still think we need a much more detailed driving school which will cost more.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Which means the schools or DMVs will need a snow covered plot of land somewhere pretty much daily which also means why will own said land. 

Here the High schools and DMV do not have any training that they offer anymore. You now have to attend a for profit driving school. So I would think those types of companies would have a plot of land they could cover in man made snow, etc.

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Here the High schools and DMV do not have any training that they offer anymore. You now have to attend a for profit driving school. So I would think those types of companies would have a plot of land they could cover in man made snow, etc.

That sucks. I don't know if it is still taught in schools here or not.

If you're willing to pay 3k for your child to learn to drive in inclement weather just pay for them to take a professional driver's course and let them take whatever is cheapest for the laws. 

Here ya go. 

https://winterdrive.com/classes/safety-classes/

• Thanks 1

499 Electric Fastback Mustangs will be built.

https://charge.cars/ 

Interesting, wonder if they will sell them all? 🤔

You can have it RWD or AWD

5,531 lb-ft of torque

402 HP

64 kWh battery pack good for 124 miles

Cost - 200,000 pounds or $256,699.87 at today's exchange rate for this British company.

For years & years (as an 'auto youth') I thought the LeSabre was full-size, until I saw a pic of people standing next to it. Even pics with Harley Earl, who was 6'4", still made it look full size to my eye.

51 LeSabre 1.jpg

Wheelbase: 115", overall: 201"

EDIT :: I know, I know; to all you guys that IS "full-size". Nay-nay, I say.
115" is decent (but on the light side), but 201 is short in my book.
My B-59 is 217", and I'd prefer it was the Electra coupe (221").

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

General Motors Styling is likely the master at 're-purposing' design cues over time. If they work, that's obviously a Very Good Thing. That's a 14 year span above.
That said, I believe I've read dissention RE the Corvette 'coves' or whatever you want to call them. I like details, keeps the mind's eye busy. Plastering in those coves on the vette would've been a strong downgrade in my book.

EDIT (slight) :: That Pontiac clay was most likely made in '46-47, as there was only (very limited) scale modeling & drawings going on during the War. So it's a 12 year span between the 2. Just setting the record straight.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Wrote an estimate on a 2018 Outback with the Eyesight safety suite.  Guy brought it in for his ol' lady.  She changed lanes and sideswiped a car... said she was relying on the car to "beep" and let her know someone was over there... as opposed to using her eyeballs.  This is why we can't have nice things.  Nannies and crutches of all kinds are the devil, I say.

• Agree 1

You know how when you see Mount Rushmore in photos and it's all fun and games until you actually go to the Black Hills and see it in person and you realize how RIDICULOUSLY VAST and AWESOME it is?  It was like that when I pulled up to the local GMC dealer yesterday next to a 2019 GMC Sierra Double Cab AT4.  In black.  It's like a monolith, permanent and unmoving.  In other words, that emm effer is BIG, yo

• Like 1

Does Amazon's selection of a split second headquarters location (NYC and NoVa) surprise you?

Me - yes and no.

Yes, because these are expensive places.

No, because they are in the Eastern Time Zone and there is a good labor pool to choose from.

Incidentally, in NYC, they are going into Queens' Long Island City neighborhood, if I recall.  L.I.C. has typically been a lower cost lodging option to Manhattan and Brooklyn, and still on a subway line.  There is also limited parking available on the streets in Queens. Perhaps The Bronx will now emerge as another lower cost alternative since even once forsaken Harlem is now "cool."

No surprise, these are major metro areas with a large pool of tech talent, and likely to attract more tech talent.  Now I'll probably get recruiters contacting me often about Amazon gigs in those locations.  I get recruiters several times a month pinging me about gigs at Amazon in Seattle and Tempe. 

On a related topic/rant, yes it's good to have in-demand, marketable skillz--but it gets tiresome when people contact me through Linkedin w/ positions in Columbus, Cincinnati, Atlanta, etc when it's clear from my profile that I live in the Cleveland area... I still get a lot of people contacting me about gigs in Denver, though I haven't lived/worked there in over a decade...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Love it.  Too bad Jetsonian architecture had to leave us.  I hope that place is still standing ... where is it?

it WAS at 800 North Glebe Road, Arlington VA. Bob Peck Chevrolet: built in 1964, demolished in 2008.
https://www.arlnow.com/2012/08/01/ballston-building-adds-bob-peck-historical-marker/
Can't figure out what/how that marker is an "authentic" Chevy tailfin.

• Thanks 1