Random Thoughts Thread

Gotta Love Main that allows any customized vanity plate on your car and only revokes it if people complain. There is an Instagram page dedicated to all the wonderful fucked up plates.

https://www.instagram.com/vanity_of_maine/?utm_source=ig_embed

There is also a Facebook page too.

https://www.facebook.com/KingOfMaineVanity 

:roflmao:

Very cool story of 50 trucks we never see any more. 

https://mentertained.com/50-beautiful-uncommom-classic-trucks/ 

Gotta love this Jeep FC-150 pickup.

1958_Jeep_FC_Rockville,_MD_show_front

I also think a small 2 person mini pickup like this Morris Minor Pickup have a place in todays society.

1960 Morris Minor Pickup

Love that the GMC Syclone is on the list, GMC really needs to build another modern day Syclone truck.

GMC_Syclone_

Always liked the Ford Econoline pickup truck. Very cool looking.

Ford Econoline Truck

Who knew Mercedes-benz had such an ugly pickup truck.

Mercedes L319D Pickup

• Agree 1

Been a bad week for loosing people....woman my shop mate is friends with was struck by a car and killed, my old debate partners ex wife died of breast cancer.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/pedestrian-hit-and-killed-in-southeast-columbus

No one knows why she was lying in the middle of the road.

• Sad 2

The incredible story of America's lost 1939 Antarctic Snow Cruiser

In 1939 America built a $250,000 snow cruiser ($2.8 million today) to conquer the Antarctic and claim it as America. Due to numerous issues and WWII, this got left there and has since disappeared.  It carried 2,500 gallons of diesel and 1,000 gallons of aviation fuel for the seaplane that sat on top.

Full Story can be read here: https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/reviews/1939-antarctic-snow-cruiser

• Agree 3

I was unaware, as apparently most people are, that the $2 bill is still in production (since it's reissue in '76).
THought this related tidbit was intertesting :
"
A documented case of using two-dollar bills to send a message to a community is the case of Geneva Steel and the communities in the surrounding Utah County. In 1989, Geneva Steel paid its employee bonuses in $2 bills. When the bills began to appear in different places, people recognized the importance of the company to the local economy"

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

I was unaware, as apparently most people are, that the $2 bill is still in production (since it's reissue in '76).
THought this related tidbit was intertesting :
"
A documented case of using two-dollar bills to send a message to a community is the case of Geneva Steel and the communities in the surrounding Utah County. In 1989, Geneva Steel paid its employee bonuses in $2 bills. When the bills began to appear in different places, people recognized the importance of the company to the local economy"

I've had maybe a dozen in circulation come to me in change over the last 30+ years.  Pretty uncommon to see one. 

20 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I've had maybe a dozen in circulation come to me in change over the last 30+ years.  Pretty uncommon to see one. 

I think many people save them as they are uncommon. I have a whole stash of them. lol

:roflmao:

Talk about an ultimate Toyota Commercial for the Failure of a Range Rover.

Seems the Range Rover got stuck in flood waters and the Toyota Hilux just enters in and move on through with no thought to the Range Rover.

:roflmao: 11yr old Dunks a New Reporter. I love it.

• Agree 1

Growing up on the farm, we had several Honda 3-wheelers and 4-wheelers (Big Reds) and they were a heck of a lot of fun.  So then it is not a surprise to me that I feel, out of the Asian automotive brands, Honda has enough redneck DNA and long-time presence in America to interest me a bit.

• Agree 1

Look how this one's optioned.  WT Z71!  The 18" alloys and meaty Duratracs finish it off real nice!  AND a black one just like it in Pittsburgh!  Drew... Christmas is coming *wink wink*

Destination Charge $1,495.00
Installed Options
  • Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 $1,395.00
  • Wheels, 18" x 8.5" (45.7 cm x 21.6 cm) Bright Silver painted aluminum $650.00
  • Tires, LT275/65R18C MT blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac $495.00
  • WT Convenience Package $1,120.00
  • Z71 Off-Road Package $945.00
  • Trailering Package $395.00
  • Trailer brake controller, integrated $275.00
  •  
Total Options $5,275.00
MSRP* $42,270.00

18332774805x640.jpg

18332774989x640.jpg

48380246_10218197409555003_9017783647591202816_n.jpg

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 2

Happy holidays, C&G people ... however you celebrate them ... and happy new year. 

It's always a relief when they're over, though, because life slows down back to normal and you can get to work on those new year's resolutions. *cough*

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Happy holidays, C&G people ... however you celebrate them ... and happy new year. 

It's always a relief when they're over, though, because life slows down back to normal and you can get to work on those new year's resolutions. *cough*

In theory going out to start loosing weight...we will see that work.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Look how this one's optioned.  WT Z71!  The 18" alloys and meaty Duratracs finish it off real nice!  AND a black one just like it in Pittsburgh!  Drew... Christmas is coming *wink wink*

Destination Charge $1,495.00
Installed Options
  • Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 $1,395.00
  • Wheels, 18" x 8.5" (45.7 cm x 21.6 cm) Bright Silver painted aluminum $650.00
  • Tires, LT275/65R18C MT blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac $495.00
  • WT Convenience Package $1,120.00
  • Z71 Off-Road Package $945.00
  • Trailering Package $395.00
  • Trailer brake controller, integrated $275.00
  •  
Total Options $5,275.00
MSRP* $42,270.00

18332774805x640.jpg

18332774989x640.jpg

48380246_10218197409555003_9017783647591202816_n.jpg

Just cannot get into it, Ugliest trucks ever.

19 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Clearly some people should not be driving when they do not understand their own technology. Truly a Dumb blonde. :nono:

• Haha 1

Why would anyone buy a weird ass Clarity when the Insight is cheaper, better looking and gets better mileage?

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Clearly some people should not be driving when they do not understand their own technology. Truly a Dumb blonde.

But... this is the Tesla customer.  Through and through.  24/7.  All day, every day.  Neurons misfiring from the get-go.  You know... all that and more.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Why would anyone buy a weird ass Clarity when the Insight is cheaper, better looking and gets better mileage?

I could see someone getting the Clarity because the Insight is too mainstream looking and not weird enough.  And the Clarity has a fuel cell, which is unusual, not ordinary like a Hybrid. 

Edited by Robert Hall

33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I could see someone getting the Clarity because the Insight is too mainstream looking and not weird enough.  And the Clarity has a fuel cell, which is unusual, not ordinary like a Hybrid. 

To clarify:  there are three types of Clarities.  Plug-in hybrid, electric, and fuel cell.

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Just cannot get into it, Ugliest trucks ever.

Well you're WRONG.  But they are GIGANTIC in person, parked next to the outgoing style on the sales lot.  More than I need, really.  I shudder to think how big the bad-ass, retro-futuristic 2020 HD series will look in person.

Ford Ranger FX4 is almost 2 inches taller than Chevy Colorado Z71, but about 2 inches shorter in extended/Super Cab guise.  My 2015 Colorado barely fit in my garage, height-wise.  I had to get a shorter (and less effective) aftermarket radio antenna for it. 

• Agree 1

If it aint staged, the other explanation would be that this aint her car...and she does not know what a Tesla is and what kind of car it is...that she borrrowed it from somebody else.  

Tesla, electric vehicles, are specialty cars at this time...

If she actually bought the car, she would actually want that car, she would actually go out of her way to actually buy an electric vehicle.  Telsa cars are not exactly in the Toyota appliance realm of the automotive spectrum. And remember, no dealerships for a Tesla...that means that she would literally know where to buy it...not stumble across a stealership and get duped into buying something she knows nothing about buying something she does not need...

She would have to order what type of battery she would want. What type of charger she wants to buy for her home. The reps over at Tesla would also tell her how to use her smartphone Tesla app and superscreen to found out where the Superchargers are at in her vicinity when she needs to charge up and ultimately, the Model S itself would warn her where to charge her vehicle via the Tesla superscreen...

Therefore, if these people filming this episode of epic fail youtube vids,  if these people want to fool us and sell us on the notion that a human being willfully sought out a Tesla store in a shopping center where everything about a Tesla store just smells of electricity, not gasoline

Image result for Tesla store

then yeah...I do not believe it...

Therefore fake.

If not fake, she burrowed that Tesla from somebody, and yes, she might be clueless,  but then again, if somebody does not know about cars, then somebody does not know about cars...Tesla or otherwise...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Not everything smells of electricity at a Tesla black hole/retail experience location.  Diesel trucks fetch them off the roads when they have problems, of which there are many.

I do not doubt that.

Gasoline powered cars as it seems, have problems also.

The Nasa space shuttles and rockets also had problems.

German WW2 tanks. Problems.

Airplanes of any era...had and continue to have problems.

Boats and trains, diesel powered or gasoline or coal. Problems.

Nuclear powered subs and aircraft carriers...yup, you guessed it...all have and continue to have problems...

You know what...horses die sometimes...resulting in what we are calling it in this thread...problems.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/caleche-horse-collapses-and-dies-in-old-montreal-1.4163205

It seems that everything that humans use to move us around, all seem to have...problems...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

at a Tesla black hole/retail experience location

And to quote you on this...the experience on a Tesla blackhole/retail location could not be worse than a stealership one...

And laughable how this movie scene may be, this type of stealership experience is still continuing in 2018 for realz...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

So much "Yes". 

Now if we could only agree on football like we agree on this. Would cheer for Dallas every game from now till doomsday before I would drive a certain vehicle.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Now if we could only agree on football like we agree on this. Would cheer for Dallas every game from now till doomsday before I would drive a certain vehicle.

I'd cheer for the Patriots before I'd ever cheer for Dallas.   This does bring up an interesting topic for a thread---what car would I never, ever drive, even around a parking lot?   I like to think I'm open minded enough to drive anything, even just once or as a weekend rental.   Though I have a strong (possibly irrational) dislike of compact or subcompact cars with cheap gray interiors. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3