Random Thoughts Thread

Guy at work has a circa '07 Ram 4X4 regular cab shortbed with 20" wheels and Hemi engine.  I mentioned to him that if I wanted to, I could still order a '19 Ram 1500 Classic in that same bodystyle.  He immediately said "my truck gets 13.5 MPG, it is so bad I stopped checking it".  I replied by saying I would get the 17" wheels, now the Hemi has V8-4 operation, plus an 8 speed automatic to help real world economy.  And I would get the 3.21 rear end.  LOL but then I thought all that prolly adds up to about 4-5 extra MPG... why are my heart and my head in constant disagreement?

• Agree 1

Found this pic of a model of a Japanese train engine.  The front seems inspired by some mid 60s American car headlight and grille arrangements...

46492758_569343050160363_1709867046503710720_o.jpg

Googling turned up a Wikipedia article on the JNR EF66.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_EF66

The locomotive prototype was finished in 1966, production started in 1968 and 39 are still in service hauling freight in Japan. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting..what's up with the springs around the steering column? 

Old school: 2 springs and a leather piece where you'd stick your 'papers' (registration, ins)- more used in '30s roadster with no glove boxes. I was looking for a vintage one for my '40 (tho that does have a glove box)- they make repros but it needs to be OLD.

UPC5028-2.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Old school: 2 springs and a leather piece where you'd stick your 'papers' (registration, ins)- more used in '30s roadster with no glove boxes. I was looking for a vintage one for my '40 (tho that does have a glove box)- they make repros but it needs to be OLD.

UPC5028-2.jpg

Interesting.  What kind of car is that ?  I don’t recognize the badge or layout.  

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Like a peugeot would have a speedo reading up to 150. Plus- look at those sliding knobs; Euro brands never gave you eye candy like that.

That's the Chrysler Golden Lion, inside a '56 300-B.

I was thinking Chrysler, but I didn’t go back far enough.  Was looking at dash pics from 57-60.

• Agree 1

^ Most everything did that 'back in the day'. My '40 Ford does (numbered), the B-59 has full gauges tho they aren't all numbered (temp is 'C—H'). Just looked at a '48 Cadillac & 50 Chrysler dash- full numbered gauges.

By my P-64, things started to change. Fuel & ammeter, yes- oil & temp were an optional gauge package, but my car has A/C and there's a central vent that sits where those gauges would go, so my car has fuel, ammeter, a clock & vacuum gauge - oil & temp (cold & hot lamps) are warning lights. 

Random thought and random view of a YouTube lasting less than one minute

Iberia Airbus 340-600 wearing the most recent livery taking off at LAX and headed to Madrid - about 11 hours. 

Foggy day at LAX and they usually take off over the ocean, to which LAX is adjacent.

• Agree 2

After a cold and gray Thanksgiving, took advantage of warmer weather and sunshine to go for drive today, over to charming Chagrin Falls.  Saw a black Ferrari 488 parked there.  

IMG-0611.JPG

IMG-0613.JPG

IMG-0615.JPG

Went from there up to Geneva-on-the-Lake to the Old Firehouse Winery for linner and wine tasting, bought a few bottles.   Walked down to the beach behind the winery, enjoyed a few minutes of listening to the waves lapping at the shoreline..

46510866_10218060947384706_5998083826440470528_n.jpg

46513601_10218060951424807_7825250814959550464_n-2.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

After a cold and gray Thanksgiving, took advantage of warmer weather and sunshine to go for drive today, over to charming Chagrin Falls.  Saw a black Ferrari 488 parked there.  

IMG-0611.JPG

IMG-0613.JPG

IMG-0615.JPG

Went from there up to Geneva-on-the-Lake to the Old Firehouse Winery for linner and wine tasting, bought a few bottles.   Walked down to the beach behind the winery, enjoyed a few minutes of listening to the waves lapping at the shoreline..

46510866_10218060947384706_5998083826440470528_n.jpg

46513601_10218060951424807_7825250814959550464_n-2.jpg

Charming, indeed.  A lot of the photos double for New England in some ways.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:23 AM, balthazar said:

^ Most everything did that 'back in the day'. My '40 Ford does (numbered), the B-59 has full gauges tho they aren't all numbered (temp is 'C—H'). Just looked at a '48 Cadillac & 50 Chrysler dash- full numbered gauges.

By my P-64, things started to change. Fuel & ammeter, yes- oil & temp were an optional gauge package, but my car has A/C and there's a central vent that sits where those gauges would go, so my car has fuel, ammeter, a clock & vacuum gauge - oil & temp (cold & hot lamps) are warning lights. 

My grandfather's '77 New Yorker had full gauges.

Check out this wicked cool truck!  :)

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

By merely saying "three ninety-six" I can literally feel my beard grow a bit.  LOVE.IT.

I love it but was, a few months back, ready to throw her out and slip a 454 or 496 crate in there. The 396 was getting hot.. and after I broke her down I found that several pushrods were bent and the valve springs associated with them were broke.. anyway.. crate motor was about $7-10K.. where as fixing was about $200.. so I went with the fix.. and then another $400 on the carb. So overall $600 bucks and about 4 days total due to me having to work and do it when I got home.. she purs now.. My next thing might be this C10 ... was considering a H3T if I could find one tho. C10s are moving up high in price these days

00606_aVch8eYq1Bq_600x450.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

With that headlight missing, I can't tell if that's a '60 Plymouth.  Someone HELP.

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ The only good displacement is cubic inches.
My SIlverado has a 403.

Mine's a 146.  BOW DOWN YOU PUNY MENS!

• Haha 2

Thinking about the news wherein that guy from WA state, less than 30 years old, got some fishermen to illegally ferry him to a remote and off limits island in the Indian Ocean inhabited by people who are about 1,000 years removed from the modern world and who in turn did him in.  Shouldn't have he been home for Thanksgiving?  Evidently, he traveled all over the world doing this sort of missionary work.  The inhabitants of that island have resisted intervention from outsiders for centuries.  What made him think he had a special brand of charisma to be successful?

• Agree 3

Sounds like GM is following Ford in cutting back on the sedan business also...

https://jalopnik.com/heres-everything-gm-is-closing-down-as-it-invests-in-th-1830654490

Edited by Robert Hall

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-everything-gm-is-closing-down-as-it-invests-in-th-1830654490

"Transforming the global enterprise to advance the company’s vision of Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion. "

They forgot "Zero Driving"?

• Like 1

Just now, frogger said:

"Transforming the global enterprise to advance the company’s vision of Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion. "

They forgot "Zero Driving"?

Yes... end of the road.. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Thinking about the news wherein that guy from WA state, less than 30 years old, got some fishermen to illegally ferry him to a remote and off limits island in the Indian Ocean inhabited by people who are about 1,000 years removed from the modern world and who in turn did him in.  Shouldn't have he been home for Thanksgiving?  Evidently, he traveled all over the world doing this sort of missionary work.  The inhabitants of that island have resisted intervention from outsiders for centuries.  What made him think he had a special brand of charisma to be successful?

Was a bible thumping IDIOT! Now his stupid family wants the Indian government to recover his body from an Island that was off limits to the world as they told the Indian government to stay away. He ignored as he just had to bring the world of his god to the savages according to his family here in WA. Totally Looney bin people. He got what he deserved and life will move on. He attempted to go there in 2015 and 2016 and the Indian government stopped him both times and expelled him. This time he took the long way by fisherman boat and then paid to get close and as such paid with his life. No tears for stupidity. 

We live in what I consider the worlds greatest country and if you want religion, your welcome to it, if you do not you're welcome to that as well, but no where does our country or religion say you have to push / force your beliefs on others. I will never get this idea that people all have to believe the same as others. Crazy stupid ignorance.

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/26/gm-general-motors-plant-closures-job-cuts/2113275002/

Yup interesting read, but also understandable as the plants mentioned in the story support auto's that are dwindling in sales fast.

QUOTE:

The Detroit-based automaker said it would end production by the end of 2019 at its Lordstown Assembly plant in northeast Ohio; its Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant in southeast Michigan; its Oshawa Assembly plant in Ontario; its Baltimore Operations parts plant; and its Warren Transmission Operations plant in southeast Michigan.

Now I will say that some of the pictures in the USA Today story are cool and my favorites are as follows:

Buick Y-job concepts from 1938

Widely regarded as the industry's first concept car,

1951 Buick XP-300 concept

The Buick XP-300 was one of two dream cars built in

1951 Buick Le Sabre concept

The 1951 Le Sabre concept car set the trend for the

1961 Mako Shark Corvette

The 1961 Mako Shark Corvette concept car.

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado and first FWD auto.

The 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado is often credited as being

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Was a bible thumping IDIOT! Now his stupid family wants the Indian government to recover his body from an Island that was off limits to the world as they told the Indian government to stay away. He ignored as he just had to bring the world of his god to the savages according to his family here in WA. Totally Looney bin people. He got what he deserved and life will move on. He attempted to go there in 2015 and 2016 and the Indian government stopped him both times and expelled him. This time he took the long way by fisherman boat and then paid to get close and as such paid with his life. No tears for stupidity. 

We live in what I consider the worlds greatest country and if you want religion, your welcome to it, if you do not you're welcome to that as well, but no where does our country or religion say you have to push / force your beliefs on others. I will never get this idea that people all have to believe the same as others. Crazy stupid ignorance.

I have a religion but I am not interested in selling it to others.  Not my style.  Chalk that up to 16 years of Catholic school.

Yes, the missionary kid was from Vancouver, WA.  I guess if armed and shielded personnel from the government went to the island, they might be able to recover the body.  They say there are no more than 50 people on that island.  The account of their appending two fisherman whose boat strayed to the island (because of the tides) on stakes facing the beach some 10 years ago is harrowing.  And these 2 people were just fishing, not preaching. 

On another note, be sure to leave a small tip for the housekeeper at any hotel you stay at.  Leave a smaller tip daily instead of all at the end because housekeepers switch floors and rooms and also work different days of the week.

A waitress/waiter cleans your table.

A housekeeper cleans your toilet.

That's how I look at it. 

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/02/21/bmw-augmented-reality-visualiser-launches-google-play/

Interesting, BMW has a Visualizer app on Google play that allows you to build your BMW the way you want in the colors you want.

GM should do this, then you can just order it or have a search done for the auto the way you want it.

The CT6 is the most competitive Cadillac sedan they have.  Dropping the CTS, XTS and ATS should come before the CT6, imo.  Zero crashes, zero emissions, zero congestion is so much bull$h!.  Barra's head on a platter, NOW.

• Haha 2

On 11/25/2018 at 6:35 AM, ocnblu said:

By merely saying "three ninety-six" I can literally feel my beard grow a bit.  LOVE.IT.

When a car can initialize  puberty in someone just from looking at it...you know it is badass. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1