Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

So dfelt is THANKFUL for this?

48 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No, I think @dfelt was thanking me for posting the alert. 

Correct, Thanking for posting that link. One can only plan and strategize when one has details and that link is a good one to know. I hope no one is harshly affected by the next downturn, but one is coming and planning, prepping, etc. is a very important part to minimize the affect of a cooling economy.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:19 AM, ocnblu said:

I don't know what to do here.  I assumed that, at any given time in my life, GM would sell sedans, coupes, and pony cars that were relevant to the times and have at least one or two vehicles that matched my taste in a set of wheels.  Things are very different from a decade ago.  It used to be that there were usually 2 to 3 cars that I couldn't decide between.  If only I had that problem today ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The check engine light for the economy just came on. We've had a volitile market this year to be sure but today a bad signal just showed up that makes today's stock market plunge different from the others in 2018.

The Treasury yield curve inversion has predicted nearly all of the prior economic recessions. It appeared today.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-funds-doubleline-idUSKBN1O3244

Past recessions have come at about 8 to 10 year intervals, looking like rhythmic oscillations if plotted out over the long haul.  "The Great Recession" was largely based on ridiculous home prices and easy money.  Thinking back to 2008 or 2009, I would have never expected Washington Mutual to go under.  I really liked them back in the day.  We have ridiculous home prices again.  However, I think that now we have overpriced equities for entities that are all about stupid premises and nothing substantial.  Also, so big box retail is suffering. 

11 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Past recessions have come at about 8 to 10 year intervals, looking like rhythmic oscillations if plotted out over the long haul.  "The Great Recession" was largely based on ridiculous home prices and easy money.  Thinking back to 2008 or 2009, I would have never expected Washington Mutual to go under.  I really liked them back in the day.  We have ridiculous home prices again.  However, I think that now we have overpriced equities for entities that are all about stupid premises and nothing substantial.  Also, so big box retail is suffering. 

Corporate Debt at 9 trillion is going to spank a few companies pretty hard.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I don't know what to do here.  I assumed that, at any given time in my life, GM would sell sedans, coupes, and pony cars that were relevant to the times and have at least one or two vehicles that matched my taste in a set of wheels.  Things are very different from a decade ago.  It used to be that there were usually 2 to 3 cars that I couldn't decide between.  If only I had that problem today ...

Other than trucks, there hasn't really been cars I've lusted after that have been made since I've had a driver's license. We're talking a number of decades here.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

If I try my damnedest to be fair, the Chevy Impala went out of production in 1985, returned for 1994-1996, left, only to reappear again in 2004.  It is a real shame about the latest model though, as it is a real beauty... even convincing the (guilty as sin of hating on domestics) "Consumer Reports" magazine to name it as best in class.

It's a good looking car, esp. like the front end compared to other recent Chevys.  Really nice headlight & grille treatment.  Profile is nice also, though I think the wheelbase is too short relative to the length...kind of look 'pinched' front certain angles. 

• Agree 1

Question:  how come Honda uses one AWD system in their Passport that is torque vectoring and can deliver power to one wheel with the best grip... but Chevrolet uses an inferior AWD system on the lesser Blazer AWD trims?  Honda's system similar to Chevy's on the RS and Premiere is standard issue on the cheapest AWD Passport.  What gives?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Question:  how come Honda uses one AWD system in their Passport that is torque vectoring and can deliver power to one wheel with the best grip... but Chevrolet uses an inferior AWD system on the lesser Blazer AWD trims?  Honda's system similar to Chevy's on the RS and Premiere is standard issue on the cheapest AWD Passport.  What gives?

Isn't that the SOP for GM?   Fewer features and cheaper components on lower trim levels?  Make you pay more to get the good stuff..

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Remember the Chevy Tracker?  It was a tough little hombre.  This could have been a new Tracker if GM had learned from their mistakes with Suzuki and let them engineer their own stuff instead of pushing junkass Daewoos and early Thetas on them.  https://youtu.be/M6OSnp8pfXI

21 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Remember the Chevy Tracker?  It was a tough little hombre.  This could have been a new Tracker if GM had learned from their mistakes with Suzuki and let them engineer their own stuff instead of pushing junkass Daewoos and early Thetas on them.  https://youtu.be/M6OSnp8pfXI

Nicer looking than the Trax and Equinox but not sure it would have the same success as the Suzuki's of 25 years ago with the segment so crowded now.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, frogger said:

Nicer looking than the Trax and Equinox but not sure it would have the same success as the Suzuki's of 25 years ago with the segment so crowded now.

Totally agree, it is nicer and yet also still blah enough to just fad into the background. I truly wonder if Suzuki was still selling here if this would move enough to be noticeable?

🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

It's a good looking car, esp. like the front end compared to other recent Chevys.  Really nice headlight & grille treatment.  Profile is nice also, though I think the wheelbase is too short relative to the length...kind of look 'pinched' front certain angles. 

The ride is perfectly smooth, while being sporty when called upon. I've never seen a fwd vehicle this large be so nimble. It's almost ridiculous. The V6 works, and altho I know it's not, and because I took the stock mufflers off and replaced them with flowmasters I once had on my '11 Camaro RS, the way it moves and sounds, U'd swear it had a V8. It kicks me in my dick the fact that we raised such a new generation that are so wuss and sissified as to not be "car guys and girls. " That would rather drive what are essentially STATION WAGONS.. as their go to choice. Think about the fact that all the efforts put into engineering these great cars we have will go by the wayside, so these weak joystick loving Mutha-f@#kas can" sit up high."

Also.. How cool would it be if GM, as gesture.. Dropped the LGW and AWD in the Impala as an SS for send off? 

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

Other than trucks, there hasn't really been cars I've lusted after that have been made since I've had a driver's license. We're talking a number of decades here.

I am not in your boat, but the current number is pretty damn small.

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

If I try my damnedest to be fair, the Chevy Impala went out of production in 1985, returned for 1994-1996, left, only to reappear again in 2004.  It is a real shame about the latest model though, as it is a real beauty... even convincing the (guilty as sin of hating on domestics) "Consumer Reports" magazine to name it as best in class.

I have always enjoyed my time with them.

16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I am there and then some. Going to be replacing the Beetle in a year or two because I am driving an insane amount of miles.  IF Honda is still building the Civic SI and Subaru is still building the WRX...no reason to look at a Ford or Chevy.

Both of these guys are spot on.

2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

The ride is perfectly smooth, while being sporty when called upon. I've never seen a fwd vehicle this large be so nimble. It's almost ridiculous. The V6 works, and altho I know it's not, and because I took the stock mufflers off and replaced them with flowmasters I once had on my '11 Camaro RS, the way it moves and sounds, U'd swear it had a V8. It kicks me in my dick the fact that we raised such a new generation that are so wuss and sissified as to not be "car guys and girls. " That would rather drive what are essentially STATION WAGONS.. as their go to choice. Think about the fact that all the efforts put into engineering these great cars we have will go by the wayside, so these weak joystick loving Mutha-f@#kas can" sit up high."

Also.. How cool would it be if GM, as gesture.. Dropped the LGW and AWD in the Impala as an SS for send off? 

Actually, it is worse than that.  It seems that Millennials would rather live in cities and take public transportation instead of driving a car.  If you look at who is buying (or leasing) CUVs, most buyers are past 40 not under 25.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Actually, it is worse than that.  It seems that Millennials would rather live in cities and take public transportation instead of driving a car.  If you look at who is buying (or leasing) CUVs, most buyers are past 40 not under 25.

This would exactly be my kids and their friends. Will have long ranging impacts on things like Suburbs and shopping malls.

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This would exactly be my kids and their friends. Will have long ranging impacts on things like Suburbs and shopping malls.

If I were 25, I'd be living in a major tech city but probably have an SUV.   Closer to 50, I like being in the suburbs with a yard and square footage, though I'd like more garage space.   But I'm never going back to rural.    My Dad loved the farm, I liked it as a kid, but now couldn't take the isolation and lack of nearby amenities.. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This.. my daughter started off like this.. but when I and her mother basically said "No.. if U wanna go somewhere now, since U're 16+.. its only gonna be school or work" BOOM!!! Just like that.. "Daddy can U take me to get my license?" Now.. she puts miles on that Cruze.. as she did the Equinox she had before. 

FUKK THAT!!! I'm not enabling bullcrap behavior.. thus in essence backtracking progress. Now I gotta get out there and see what are basically Station Wagons and Minivans marring the roads and holding up traffic when Corollas and Priui did just fine pissing me off. UUUUUM the state of the youth of today.. WE SCREWED THEM UP!!! We didn't wan't them to have to deal with the non-hugs and strict knowing of what we did by our parents.. who were parents.. so we became their friends.. and they in turn use us. Honestly.. we are the first parents in generations that in unison scream in a whisper.. "JESUS CHRIST THESE KIDS ARE LAME!" But we do it with a whisper, because if they hear us.. they will run to school touting a book bag in one hand and a AR in the other and shoot up the place because of self-esteem issues. Damn BARNEY the Dinosaur

45647080_10212593284096432_8581451649338310656_o.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That's pretty funny....for some reason, Mr CtG, I thought you were a Millennial (under 30).  Mistaken..

Naaah.. I'm only immature when it comes to foreign cars and lovers of such 😎. The "U" comes from my luv of Prince music, and the way I speak in type is similar in flow to the way I would speak in casual conversation. This is no English class last I checked 

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Naaah.. I'm only immature when it comes to foreign cars and lovers of such 😎. The "U" comes from my luv of Prince music, and the way I speak in type is similar in flow to the way I would speak in casual conversation. This is no English class last I checked 

Cool..I love Prince.  Saw in Vegas years ago.   

• Agree 1

It isn't an English class but it is a communication skills test every time you type something. Or should I say, "Every time U type something".

I'm not perfect by any means but I've never jumped on the whole shortening as much as possible. It's annoying and looks lazy, in my opinion. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It isn't an English class but it is a communication skills test every time you type something. Or should I say, "Every time U type something".

I'm not perfect by any means but I've never jumped on the whole shortening as much as possible. It's annoying and looks lazy, in my opinion. 

Hey thanks.. As U kno.. Since days of MT Forum and B4 at Auto Week forum or GMI.. I have typed this way. So basically.. U can ignore my posts 4 whatever reason U might want. So.. Back 2 it then.. Oh.  B4 U do.. Please don't 4get... 2 kiss my.. Feet😉

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, your grammar is as good as your attitude. 

Being agreeable is highly over rated.

That being said, may the Eagles kick some Cowboy arse...same with the Colts....I wish the Colts well.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

52 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

So ebonics at C&G! :P 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Being agreeable is highly over rated.

That being said, may the Eagles kick some Cowboy arse...same with the Colts....I wish the Colts well.

I hope you stub your toe some time this week and it lingers for a day or two.

I may try and go to Indy for the Cowboys/Colts game. It's about a 4 hour drive for me and I have some vacation time to take off yet.. 

• Haha 3

Just now, ccap41 said:

I hope you stub your toe some time this week and it lingers for a day or two.

I may try and go to Indy for the Cowboys/Colts game. It's about a 4 hour drive for me and I have some vacation time to take off yet.. 

If I didn't have family in town I would drive over and Join you.  Not even that big of an NFL fan....but it seems like it would be a fun game to watch. Lots of my friends here in Columbus are Colts fans.

Hey, the broncos beat Pittsburgh with that interception so....

In other news, a sane discussion of the pros and cons of electric cars, something that we seem to lake here from time to time.

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

As a long time Browns fan, it's nice to actually see the Browns have something to cheer for again.  Still a Broncos fan from the decade+ I spent in Colorado, though. 

They are coming back, like a lot of other things in Ohio.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If I didn't have family in town I would drive over and Join you.  Not even that big of an NFL fan....but it seems like it would be a fun game to watch. Lots of my friends here in Columbus are Colts fans.

That would have been pretty awesome! 

It should be a good game. The Colts have been playing very well as of late(minus the dud of a game against JAX).

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I've written way too many work memos that would have never flown if I had used shortcuts and colloquialisms so I tend not to write that way.  I probably don't speak that way, either, but, every now and then, it's cathartic to be crude and crass.   It's also a good idea to put forth another persona if you choose to ride public transit, which can be eye opening and entertaining.  I recommend some of those YouTubes featuring altercations on public transit ... highly politically incorrect, too.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Oh $h!; exactly what I would do whenever I may move back to a car AT (After Trucks) - a vintage ride in good shape, OD trans, completely gone trhu mechanically, A/C, 27K original miles, 389 CI, CO car, clean as a whistle for a daily driver. Someone #GoFundMe :

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 7.14.14 PM.png

Colorado plates point to a dry cold, hence no rust that I can see.  Nice sled.  The big downside can be that it might have front drum brakes, which just don't shed the water that well.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

In other news, a sane discussion of the pros and cons of electric cars, something that we seem to lake here from time to time.

Thanks for Posting it @A Horse With No Name

This is an outstanding 6 month review by this guy and he clearly hits on many of the points we debate here about EV or ICE, Range anxiety, etc.

Have to say he makes some very valid points for EV ownership and also why you would not want it.

Reality, EVs are expensive yet he also points out the price is the same 7 years later but double the performance, battery range, etc. Especially compared to a maxed out base Honda civic priced the same the Leaf is far more fun to drive and better feature functions over the civic.

Have to say, I think this is a very balanced and decent review.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Colorado plates point to a dry cold, hence no rust that I can see.  Nice sled.  The big downside can be that it might have front drum brakes, which just don't shed the water that well.

Definitely has 4 wheel drums, but I drove this same model car for 25,000 miles as a daily with the (manual) drums, and I hammered on that car hard- no problems with the brakes. Not Buick-level drums, but pretty good/never an issue. No one who hasn't driven such a car will agree with that, of course- only discs could possibly stop a car.  Or so I'm told. I have a set of Pontiac aluminum drums that would fit this, too.

dsc02689.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Definitely has 4 wheel drums, but I drove this same model car for 25,000 miles as a daily with the (manual) drums, and I hammered on that car hard- no problems with the brakes. Not Buick-level drums, but pretty good/never an issue. No one who hasn't driven such a car will agree with that, of course- only discs could possibly stop a car.  Or so I'm told. I have a set of Pontiac aluminum drums that would fit this, too.

dsc02689.jpg

Totally agree with you, GM made some awesome drum brakes on their massive size cars in the 60's and 70's. Driving the big Olds 98 station wagons and slamming on the brakes always had a confidence that I would stop. Try driving fast on an Asian auto from that time and slamming on the brakes and sliding away you go.

Sexy as hell! :metal:

See the source image

On 12/5/2018 at 6:16 PM, ocnblu said:

Yeah, I am going to miss the Impy...It has hands down my favorite designs-simple and classy. And nice to ride in too....

Sad because this will be the last time we will see the impy or the Taurus  and cars slowly fade....

That being said-do I risk getting my first new car in 14 years before the $h! hits the fan?  I have been preparing, But I am still not sure just how bad the damage will be this time. While my job is steady, still makes me wonder......

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Yeah, I am going to miss the Impy...It has hands down my favorite designs-simple and classy. And nice to ride in too....

Sad because this will be the last time we will see the impy or the Taurus  and cars slowly fade....

That being said-do I risk getting my first new car in 14 years before the $h! hits the fan?  I have been preparing, But I am still not sure just how bad the damage will be this time. While my job is steady, still makes me wonder......

Maybe you can get the Taurus of the future from Total Recall

See the source image

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 2.54.39 PM.png

Ohhh heck yes.

Feeling better as an enthusiast actually than I have felt in maybe years.  And God what I would not give for a 49-50 Mercury

Image result for 50's shoebox ford

I always thought the Ford Variant of that was under rated. Also...I think early 50's cars are under rated by enthusiasts.  I would not ahve enjoyed Polio or the Cold war...but from an automotive standpoint....Wish I had been growing up an enthusiast in the 50's in some ways.

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Maybe you can get the Taurus of the future from Total Recall

See the source image

Proof that the Vega and Pinto interbred with anteaters.

Edited by A Horse With No Name