Random Thoughts Thread

54 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd cheer for the Patriots before I'd ever cheer for Dallas.   This does bring up an interesting topic for a thread---what car would I never, ever drive, even around a parking lot?   I like to think I'm open minded enough to drive anything, even just once or as a weekend rental.   Though I have a strong (possibly irrational) dislike of compact or subcompact cars with cheap gray interiors. 

Hates on grey interiors...Dallas Cowboys  🤔

Im thinking, the Dallas Cowboys' colours are actually silver...

Also hates on compact cars and subcompacts...

Im thinking that the Dallas Cowboys are anything BUT compact and subcompact

Related image

Im thinking, that maybe, you do like the Dallas Cowboys...

1. Sliver, not gray.

2. Grand, not puny and weak like a Chevy Sparx or the New York Giants...

Image result for dallas cowboys Americas Team

Common, admit it!!!

Ill help you cheer them on

Image result for dallas cowboys cheerleaders gif

Edited by oldshurst442

57 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd cheer for the Patriots before I'd ever cheer for Dallas.   This does bring up an interesting topic for a thread---what car would I never, ever drive, even around a parking lot?   I like to think I'm open minded enough to drive anything, even just once or as a weekend rental.   Though I have a strong (possibly irrational) dislike of compact or subcompact cars with cheap gray interiors. 

Given how Dallas got shut out by the colts...I choose niether patriots or cowboys.

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

You just HAD to bring that up...😡

🤬

I would rather be Macedonian than root for Dallas.

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Hates on grey interiors...Dallas Cowboys  🤔

Im thinking, the Dallas Cowboys' colours are actually silver...

Also hates on compact cars and subcompacts...

Im thinking that the Dallas Cowboys are anything BUT compact and subcompact

Related image

Im thinking, that maybe, you do like the Dallas Cowboys...

1. Sliver, not gray.

2. Grand, not puny and weak like a Chevy Sparx or the New York Giants...

Image result for dallas cowboys Americas Team

Common, admit it!!!

I would downvote this if I did not like you so much.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I would rather be Macedonian than root for Dallas.

You would rather be a real and true Macedonian...Greece?

Then I love you and I give you a pass...

You would rather be a FYROM "Macedonian...then Ill have to ask you one thing...what did Dallas and the Cowboys do for such hatred and lunacy?

America's Team?

You just KNOW that they are!!!! 😋

Edited by oldshurst442

12 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I wouldn't mind being Macedonian (resident of Macedonia, Ohio).  I go there all the time anyway...my Best Buy, Home Depot, Massage Envy and First Watch are there...

As far as disliking the Dallas Cowboys, for me, it's just part of my general dislike of Texas and the South in general.  :)   As far as football, I'm a Broncos, Browns and Steelers fan. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

You would rather be a FYROM "Macedonian...then Ill have to ask you one thing...what did Dallas and the Cowboys do for such hatred and lunacy?

America's Team?

The Dallas cowboys...Penn State football...the modern Ford motor company...monotheism...pretty much the only things I pretty much detest in this world.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I prefer to cheerlead this ~

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 5.55.21 PM.png

She does not appear to be from Penn State or Dallas..She is not a Ford kind of gal...fine by me.

13 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Now if we could only agree on football like we agree on this. Would cheer for Dallas every game from now till doomsday before I would drive a certain vehicle.

Hahahaha baby steps... baby steps.. 

13 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I enjoy driving different things too much to think of something I wouldn't drive once. The only thing I could possibly think of would be something like a two gear lever shifting old semi and that's strictly because I don't know how, not because I don't want to.

12 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Given how Dallas got shut out by the colts...I choose niether patriots or cowboys.

That game was terrible to watch... Not because the loss but because they looked slow and tired the entire game. They just never looked into it and that's a problem. Colts are a good team though. I don't want to take anything away from them. They're on a tear and I would like to see them make the playoffs and disrupt the powerhouses. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Lets be honest, Fiat would never see you and I in them my friend! :P 

13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Common, admit it!!!

I pass on the Dallas Cheer Squad and go for J Pop instead!

See the source image

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

America's Team?

I just want to be part of the Spartan's! 

slow motion kick GIF

36 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Lets be honest, Fiat would never see you and I in them my friend! :P 

I pass on the Dallas Cheer Squad and go for J Pop instead!

True about that...though I have sat in Fiat 500s at car shows, and they at least had some charm w/ the dash design.

As far as my dislike of small cars w/ gray interiors, I'm sure it's from some rental car experiences such as the lurching Hyundai Scoupe,  the Dodge Neon with the worst out-of-alignment front end I've ever experienced, and a very loud red Chevy Cavalier 4dr...  And all had gray Fisher-Price interiors and were 4cyls with automatics.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

True about that...though I have sat in Fiat 500s at car shows, and they at least had some charm w/ the dash design.

As far as my dislike of small cars w/ gray interiors, I'm sure it's from some rental car experiences such as the lurching Hyundai Scoupe,  the Dodge Neon with the worst out-of-alignment front end I've ever experienced, and a red Chevy Cavalier 4dr were probably the worst.  And all had gray Fisher-Price interiors.    

I love small cars with funky cool designs though.

Image result for Dallas cowboys cheerleaders
Image result for very old woman in swimsuit

Ohhh...and I found a current pic of that lady with the Cadillac in Balthazar's post...

313D438C00000578-0-image-a-1_14555551914

Maybe a bit better...

• Haha 2

In looking at these photos, it hearkens to the days of the Dittos jeans with the horseshoe seam, blouses with cap sleeves, and wedge shaped Cherokee platform shoes.  Don't forget the Farrah (RIP) hair.  I think this look lasted into the early '80s. You might even be able to dig up the Dittos print ad that said "You Can Feel the Fit."  Does anyone remember that window of time?  And, if you remember that combo, you probably remembers Angels Flight pants.  People are selling that stuff for some coin on EBay.  Why would anyone want to have that clothing around?  Some aspects of the '70s were scary.  The cars were cool, though.

• Agree 1

I found the Dittos print ad!

http://www.bermanphoto.com/ntzcsggdco1wpjzji8705w6qz8t9xl

They had these in all these goofy colors.  At this time, the guys were wearing Levi's corduroys in all these different colors, Hang Ten t-shirts, Clarks wallabees shoes, and Greg Brady hair.  Truly a forgettable time in American apparel and style.

Edited by trinacriabob

image.png

Just now, trinacriabob said:

They had these in all these goofy colors.  The guys were wearing Levi's corduroys in all these different colors, Hang Ten t-shirts, Clarks wallabees, and Greg Brady hair.  Truly a forgettable time in American apparel and style.

Cool!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

They had these in all these goofy colors.  At this time, the guys were wearing Levi's corduroys in all these different colors, Hang Ten t-shirts, Clarks wallabees shoes, and Greg Brady hair.  Truly a forgettable time in American apparel and style.

A bit before my time, but my sister remembers that era (she graduated from high school in '75).   I do remember the early 80s Jordache ads with Brooke Shields.  

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Have to say I agree with Allen Greenspan about 2019. Pay off debt and save, we are looking at bad times ahead.

http://fortune.com/2018/12/18/alan-greenspan-investors-run-for-cover-recession/

Ugly, Ugly Ugly! 

Back to cars - when GM stole America's heart with its frameless door colonnade opera windowed coupes ... which had great engines and great transmissions and could go the distance.

1975 - last call for round headlights, but still sold like hot cakes - enter the inline 6 ... there weren't that many around ... they were usually the loss leader advertised for $ 3,999 and had no a/c ... this same year, Olds also released the 260 c.i. V8 and was dubbing it the "baby V8."  I think this was the last year for the bucket seats that swiveled out toward the door.

mx9865-p.jpg

1976 - a good thing gets even better ... over half a million of this model alone sold ... this was a cool color and they also had the real dark burgundy called "mahogany" at the same time ... back in the day when you could pick from close to 20 colors, free of charge ...

1976-Oldsmobile-Mid-size-and-Compact-02-

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Have to say I agree with Allen Greenspan about 2019. Pay off debt and save, we are looking at bad times ahead.

http://fortune.com/2018/12/18/alan-greenspan-investors-run-for-cover-recession/

I'd like to know his basis for his claim of "on the verge of high inflation, high unemployment", when the inverse is the case. I also missed the mention of when/2019.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 3.29.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 3.31.49 AM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

A bit before my time, but my sister remembers that era (she graduated from high school in '75).   I do remember the early 80s Jordache ads with Brooke Shields.  

Haha.  Brooke Shields went on to become a Princeton University graduate.

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd take the Bronco and Mach 1. 

You and me both!  That is such a wonderful era of Mustang.

29 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Haha.  Brooke Shields went on to become a Princeton University graduate.

She is a smart lady. I read part of the book she wrote on postpartum depression.  An admirable human being in some ways.

• Agree 2

She is one of my favorite people on the internet. Neat shop tour, she has lots of fun with her work.

She has no trouble getting dirty...look at the vintage truck at 4:10.

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Short stroke 455, stock specs, running in the 12s (don't have an exact time).

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 10.28.07 AM.png

That is hot enough to get me thinking indecent thoughts.

I saw the movie White Men Can't Jump for the first time. 

I was shocked to see some cool muscle cars in it...

Chevelle

1969 Chevrolet Chevelle

Charger

1971 Dodge Charger

Olds Cutlass Convertible

Related image

Pontiac Trans Am

Image result for white men cant jump trans am

I was mildly entertained by the movie. very 1990s dialogue.  Very 1990s  premise. (DUH! Made in 1992)  I enjoyed it but I have a feeling I enjoyed more because of the pleasant easter eggs that were these cars. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Interesting technology, should save a ton of money and help the environment at the same time...

Very cool tech, thanks for posting.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

That's pretty cool... 

Ford is doing some cool things lately that have mitigated my nasty (not sure why the eff I feel/felt that way) feelings towards them.