Random Thoughts Thread

Just now, dfelt said:

So between compact and sub compact we get semi-sub compact? 🤷‍♂️

😃

Sort of like how in Europe they have supermini cars between subcompact and compact.   It sounds like Ford's plan to add many new CUVs and SUVs.

I like the looks of the new Escape pictured in the spy shots, but I would be in the demographic for a Maverick by far.  I moaned and cried when the current Escape came out because I thought the previous one looked truckier, which is what I prefer in my faux SUV.

God but I do hate that one dude Rachel Maddow.  I love to watch her smug pre-election videos and laugh.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Very strange..wonder why the street is so much lower than the buildings..

Seattle was massively & extensively regraded in the early 20th Century- the old street used to be up where the building was. Engineers moved on the order of 50 million cubic yards of material and razed a lot of buildings for a number of reason (filling the tidepools at the water edge, enxtending available land, aiding water lines coming into the city, lessening grades, etc. Pretty amazing operation.

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 3.57.04 PM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I phoquing love those JEEPS!!!  

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Bolt Mulroney

Bolt Mulroney?

Image result for mulroney brian

Canada's former Prime Minister could be bought for  only 39 grand?

Boy, Airbus got screwed on that deal I tell ya!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I phoquing love those JEEPS!!!  

Bolt Mulroney?

Image result for mulroney brian

Canada's former Prime Minister could be bought for  only 39 grand?

Boy, Airbus got screwed on that deal I tell ya!!!

Monroney, I think.  I’ve read dealer window stickers referred to by that name.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Monroney, I think.  I’ve read dealer window stickers referred to by that name.  

Yes. Yes.  

Monroney=window sticker

Mulroney=Prime Minister that could be bought...he was a lawyer after all.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

[Jeep video]
There were some Marmon-Herrington 4x4 conversions on my COE's generation model- with the 'granny' low and the ridiculous gearing (5.83/8.11) it would be interesting to see one rock crawl.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 8.26.28 AM.png

Was that a rendering of an Oldsmobile Toronado to look like a Cadillac?

Or, was the Eldorado supposed to look like that, but Oldsmobile said "Hey!  That should be the Toronado!!!"   (And then, something horrible went wrong...)

Image result for 1971 Oldsmobile Toronado

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yes. Yes.  

Monroney=window sticker

Mulroney=Prime Minister that could be bought...he was a lawyer after all.

And also Dermott Mulroney, American actor.

And not Muldowney, as in Shirley, retired American drag racer.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Irish laundry company, in business until 1987 (tho this pic is apparently from the '40s). Electric vans. There's a Wiki entry on it :

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 5.10.51 PM.png

Electric vehicle Nazis.  Perfect sum-up.

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, frogger said:

The Ecosport is so attractive, not surprised this looks just as good.  Almost as hot as the Trax.

You need serious help if this is not sarcasm

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Irish laundry company, in business until 1987 (tho this pic is apparently from the '40s). Electric vans. There's a Wiki entry on it :

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Still more attractive Ecosport or Trax.

Maybe that swoosh dates back to these guys?

(the 1959 is more of a straight line)

Image result for 1959 impala ss

(the 1960 is more of a crease going from the top fender to the back making itself into the wing)

Related image

(and the 1961 is more like a swoosh, that leads up to the back. I think I like the 1961 representation the best of all of them!)

Image result for 1961 impala ss

40 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

You may be overthinking this, the fender crease is as it is just to look different from the Sierra.

Yeah. You may be right. 

The Silverado does seem to have a nice side profile, though.  I like that swoosh on it. Too bad the front end is all roided up to hell...

If you gonna do a swoosh, you might as well do a swoosh (or several of them)...that LeSabre concept wears them loud and proud! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, Robert Hall said:

Given Ford's new focus on CUVs, it wouldn't surprise me that they would go with something mainstream in addition to the Baby Bronco..

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that either. I would hope for their sake they have a nice new universal platform for these.

14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Why?   Galveston?

LOL, I wondered the same then when he mentioned the regrade of Seattle, it dawned on me that when Seattle had their great fire, the city decided to fill in the wet lands and spread out and with that they removed many hills / small mountains and leveled the city. The building in that pic and many others like it were destroyed for the complete leveling of the city which is now the Pioneer Square area and SODO area of Seattle, the south end of the city.

Yet another electric pickup, this one promising a 500 mile range and 35k lb towing capacity.  Hadn't heard of Atlis yet.

https://insideevs.com/video-atlis-xt-electric-pickup-truck-500-mile-range/?fbclid=IwAR3R-S2R46KWb5YHQWRI4gyKev_7H7VXc6ITWTwrqEr28ogfWfg_1MNUoMk\

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yet another electric pickup, this one promising a 500 mile range and 35k lb towing capacity.  Hadn't heard of Atlis yet.

https://insideevs.com/video-atlis-xt-electric-pickup-truck-500-mile-range/?fbclid=IwAR3R-S2R46KWb5YHQWRI4gyKev_7H7VXc6ITWTwrqEr28ogfWfg_1MNUoMk\

That Rock's, I love the look of this pickup and the fact unlike Rivian that they made a fold down door for the FRUNK. This way it has very easy access into the storage area.

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/ 

atlis-electric-truck-xt-crew-cab-1024x57

atlis-2.jpg

• Haha 1

image.png

Love the interior, this should be a wake up call to the Detroit Legacy OEMs.

A center-mounted digital touch screen will serve as the hub for vehicle settings, heating and cooling, and infotainment with Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Use its physical rotary knob to make fast commands and quickly change settings.

The dash instrumentation will be a multi-split digital touch screen displaying all live vehicle information, including live video feeds from the standard driver assistance cameras.

The unique UI behind the wheel ensures the user is in complete control and allows for various customization. This creates a personal connection as you will be able to create an aesthetic you want.

image.png

@balthazar You should love the bed options.

image.png

image.png

• Haha 1

Loving the looks of this Truck! :metal:

image.png

Like their thinking, be interested to see if they hit their 2020 production start goal.

A NEW OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE

Atlis Motor Vehicles isn’t just changing the truck, we’re changing the ownership experience. We’re developing purchase and all-inclusive subscription models, designed to stretch your dollar further and maximize your electric pickup truck experience.

For subscribers, this means significant monthly savings. It also means an ongoing experience of new vehicles, every three, five, or seven years. Maintenance will be covered, as will charging.

For direct purchases, we’ll be offering a warranty you can count on, with the convenience of pay-as-you-go charging.

Atlis Subscriber Club

New vehicle every 3, 5 or 7 years

Maintenance is 100% covered

Insurance is 100% covered

Unlimited free charging

Starting at just $700/month

Direct Purchase

10-year, 100% warranty

Pay-as-you-go charging

Must carry personal insurance

Starting $45,000

Service & Warranty

EV’s have inherently longer maintenance intervals than combustion engines, and our trucks are being designed for minimal maintenance and maximum longevity.  But when needed, maintenance and repairs will be carried out by independently operated shops who are certified to maintain Atlis Motor Vehicles pickup trucks, as well as our own service stations and mobile service capabilities which will gradually be established as we continue to grow. Basic maintenance items such as tire changes can be performed at any shop where you can take your existing vehicle.

Our warranty details won’t be fully determined until we’re closer to production, but we are planning for a 10-year warranty.

With our subscription service, all routine maintenance will be covered, and the warranty will last at least the duration of the subscription.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Here is the Atlis website...first I'd heard of them.   Looks like it's an American company, some of the leadership team has past auto industry experience.   There is a pic of the rear--the taillights, tailgate and rear bumper reminds of an early 90s F150.

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com

• Like 1

Sharp looking from the back too!

image.png

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Here is the Atlis website...first I'd heard of them.   Looks like it's an American company, some of the leadership team has past auto industry experience.   There is a pic of the rear--the taillights, tailgate and rear bumper reminds of an early 90s F150.

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com

Their designer has his own web site and I have to say I love his take on a futuristic Wrangler or what he calls the Longnose.

https://www.macchinadesign.com/

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Another EV concept.. 

I'll wait to be excited until they actually produce them. 35k towing capacity? Yeah, right. 

You can also get it in a Dually configuration. Reservation are being taken as Production is Q1 of 2020 to start.Future excitement is good, when have we really seen revolutionary change out of Detroit?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Another EV concept.. 

I'll wait to be excited until they actually produce them. 35k towing capacity? Yeah, right. 

Does seem a bit high, but then again electric motors can be quite torquey...  

It's another company that's all smoke and mirrors until there's a product on the road owned by anybody who isn't on the board. 

Anybody can take preorders and never return the cash once the company $h!s the bed. 

18 minutes ago, dfelt said:

You can also get it in a Dually configuration. Reservation are being taken as Production is Q1 of 2020 to start.Future excitement is good, when have we really seen revolutionary change out of Detroit?

Tesla.. Where have you been? 

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Another EV concept.. 

Love to know the range towing 35K....yeah right indeed. 

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's another company that's all smoke and mirrors until there's a product on the road owned by anybody who isn't on the board. 

Anybody can take preorders and never return the cash once the company $h!s the bed. 

Tesla.. Where have you been? 

True, anyone can take money but then Tesla was in this place many years ago, they got people excited and have a very loyal following.

As stated Detroit, Tesla never has been part of Detroit and Tesla DOES NOT build a full size Pickup Truck.

Gotta admit this truck looks even better than Rivians pickup truck and does address the 5.5 ft bed as Atlast offers in 6.5 ft or 8 ft along with Dually option which is what allows the High Gooseneck towing of 35,000lbs.

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Love to know the range towing 35K....yeah right indeed. 

Per their own website based on configuration of battery pack and single wheel or dually you have the following very realistic figures:

TRAILER HITCH TOWING CAPABILITIES (lbs):

FIFTH WHEEL AND GOOSENECK TOWING CAPABILITIES (lbs GCWR):

Single rear wheel

Dually rear wheel

PAYLOAD CAPABILITIES (lbs)

AVAILABLE SUSPENSION OPTIONS

With air springs and an independent rear suspension, the Atlis Motor Vehicles ensures that heavy loads are properly leveled, while providing the utmost in ride comfort.

• Standard: Air spring with dynamic load damping and 12-inches of ground clearance

• Optional: Off-road long travel suspension with 15-inches of ground clearance
    * Off-road long travel suspension unavailable with higher towing and payload options

These guys have all worked in the auto industry and bring a ton of real life experience to this start up.

• Haha 1

Tesla didn't introduce a 100% concept until they had their feet under them slightly with some brand recognition.

Remember, their first vehicle was a modified Lotus crammed with batteries and motors. 

Who in their right mind drops 100k on a fully electric HD truck? There's no way the 35k towing/5000lb payload is going to be even close to "affordable" for 99% of the people in the market for an HD truck. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Tesla didn't introduce a 100% concept until they had their feet under them slightly with some brand recognition.

Remember, their first vehicle was a modified Lotus crammed with batteries and motors. 

Who in their right mind drops 100k on a fully electric HD truck? There's no way the 35k towing/5000lb payload is going to be even close to "affordable" for 99% of the people in the market for an HD truck. 

Ford HD Platinum is $100,000 and they are selling those diesels, so a person who wants to be green will love having a 500 mile range HD pickup that is silent electric.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Ford HD Platinum is $100,000 and they are selling those diesels, so a person who wants to be green will love having a 500 mile range HD pickup that is silent electric.

Ford HD Platinum has earned their brand recognition of a work horse. They have earned their right to price them at 100k. 

Well, this company will successfully sell 3 trucks. 

100k truck market, HD market, green market. They've successfully narrowed the market down so small. 

FWIW, a fully loaded F450 Limited is 90k before adding the ticky tack add-ons. 

Getting a strong SIlverado vibe off the front : busy with an Eastwood glare.

This one does look better than the Rivian (which I don't hate the looks of but it's certainly not 'trucky'). Relatively easy these days to build a one-off and get tons of press/free advertising... but as usual we'll have to wait & see it they build any; Faraday was founded 4.5 years ago and still nothing.

As far as the rear end goes- there's only so much design can do when there's a uber-important tailgate involved.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Strong Camaro vibe to the front end. 

So my sister's Trax is done w/ the repairs and ready to go (been in the dealer's auto body shop since getting rear ended early in December).   Insurance paid for everything beyond the deductible.    She's been driving the Cadillac, and it has a new anomaly...the heater won't blow out the dash vents or under dash...defroster still works.   Good thing the seat heater still works and it hasn't been excessively cold yet...

The "Jaws" series marathon was on this weekend.  I caught the second half of the first one, which I'd already seen several times.  Much better to have a 007 marathon.

I thought about this before and thought about it more this time.

Is a shark wired to be that vindictive to want to come around repeatedly and raise hell?  As in the constant pounding of the fishing vessel "Orca?" 

In videos in which people are aboard a boat, they'll breach further out or they'll come above the surface if people have thrown food scraps into the water, but I've never heard of their becoming obsessed with a boat and its passengers.  If someone is inside a shark cage that's under the surface, they may keep coming around but, even then, they might not stick around indefinitely.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Dfelt, bruh... are you being serious with that HD pickup electric BS?  Please tell me you're being sarcastic.  PLEASE.

Nope, The future is looking at ya buddy. :P 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1