Random Thoughts Thread

6 minutes ago, frogger said:

Live edge tables.. too trendy?  We are shopping for a dining table and the wife likes them.  I like the walnut ones but I don't know if I will tire of the look in 5 years.

Walnut-Table-Bench-X-Legs-2.jpg

Interesting...would look good in a log cabin or lodge..

• Agree 1

Since I am in a good mood...shame we don't get this here.

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting...would look good in a log cabin or lodge..

I have built somne live edge furniture...it is a lot of fun to make.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frogger said:

Live edge tables.. too trendy?  We are shopping for a dining table and the wife likes them.  I like the walnut ones but I don't know if I will tire of the look in 5 years.

I don't think that you will tire of the look at all.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, frogger said:

10 PRINT "LIVE EDGE";
20 GOTO 10

RUN

floor+of+the+year

Those stairs would kill me.. even having 6-8 steps at most w/ a split level (4 distinct levels, 4 sets of stairs) is killing me now..

Edited by Robert Hall

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I do not believe nature/natural can ever wear out its welcome.
The live edge stiff I see is still fabulously expensive, when it comes down to WalMart-level pricing and is mass produced (which really isn't possible), then maybe.

Local place here harvests slabs and sells them cheap. My daughter's desk and my upstairs hall table were just over a hundred bucks for both for lumber...good big of assembly required.

10 hours ago, frogger said:

I never get tired of wood furniture, Just awesome!

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Those stairs would kill me.. even having 6-8 steps at most w/ a split level (4 distinct levels, 4 sets of stairs) is killing me now..

Great leg workout! 

I do agree that stairs suck for normal every day use.

@A Horse With No Name @Robert Hall @balthazar

This company is up in a little town called LaConner, indian reservation, the guy uses recovered wood from the Ocean, buildings, forest, etc. I bought my wife her Jewelry box from here it is a work of Art.

We want to one day after we remodel our house get one of his custom built square tables for 12 people. Just beautiful wood work.

https://www.makerswoodworks.com/

I will also say that my wife and I love these two woodworking companies out of Victoria BC in Canada.

https://www.houzz.com/pro/arosteguistudio/arostegui-studio-furniture-and-design

http://www.arosteguistudio.com/arostegui-studio-home 

• Agree 2

On 12/18/2018 at 9:16 AM, oldshurst442 said:

I prefer Chorizo Tacos to Chicken. 

Good interview with former Ford CEO

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/12/13/former-ford-ceo-speaks-on-his-tenure-at-the-automaker.html

16 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I never get tired of wood either. I always wake up in the morning with one. 

https://www.wood-database.com/white-willow/

Willow is a notoriously soft and unproductive species though. 

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ford-fusion-mondeo-cford-fusion-mondeo-coupe-looks-like-evosoupe-looks-like-evos-concept-42167.html

Link is acting Funky, ford fusion coupe would have been interesting, especially if they had done an SHO version. 

• Agree 2

Edmunds.com has their build and price up for the Chevy Blazer.  Way too expensive.  I also went to cars.com, where the Blazer is available in search mode.  Saw an AWD RS "in transit" listed at $51k.  Completely nuts.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Edmunds.com has their build and price up for the Chevy Blazer.  Way too expensive.  I also went to cars.com, where the Blazer is available in search mode.  Saw an AWD RS "in transit" listed at $51k.  Completely nuts.

The pricing may well be nuts, but it is what the market will bear.  I doubt any non-luxury sedan can get away with that pricing as of now.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

AWD LT Cloth with black wheels, bowties and emblems, plus floor liners is $39.8k.  Too darn high.

Crazy pricing.  A base Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 is $32.9k.  V6 standard.

• Agree 1

I will bet you a dollar a Passport Sport AWD in Black Forest Pearl (with standard black 20" rims) will be cheaper than the Blazer LT AWD/3.6 I priced out over to the Edmunds.  The 20"  black alloys are a $1995 option on the Blazer LT!

46 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It's really too bad they didn't go the path Ford seems to be going w/ the new Bronco for the Blazer...

I'm excited to see the Bronco and Maverick myself!

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

On 12/21/2018 at 7:05 PM, Robert Hall said:

It's really too bad they didn't go the path Ford seems to be going w/ the new Bronco for the Blazer...

Agreed. Ford is acting like they want my business.

It has happened.  Seattle now has a second commercial airport to augment SEA, which is on the south end so it can also serve Tacoma.  The "new" one is at Everett's Paine Field, so it's the same airport from which we've seen all the historic Boeing maiden flights.  The airport is north of town.  Its airport call code is PAE. I'm figuring it's been less than a year.

23 hours ago, ocnblu said:

48416434_2342101952678307_1152401822153965568_n.jpg

Less is more. 

(170, 200, 250?)

Edited by trinacriabob

Almost all of the gains in the stock market (did the Dow brush 26,000 or 27,000?) under the current President have been eliminated.  I was once sitting at a Starbucks having coffee and an Ivy League trained economist of Indian extraction was sharing the same long table.  This was in late September.  I told him that, in my mind, the Dow should more realistically be at about 24,500.  This was all too simplistic for him.  He could only talk in ivory tower econometric models that he did as part of his work.  Well, I was only partly right.  The slide has exceeded what I said by almost 3,000 points.  Bah hambug.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Almost all of the gains in the stock market (did the Dow brush 26,000 or 27,000?) under the current President have been eliminated.  I was once sitting at a Starbucks having coffee and an Ivy League trained economist of Indian extraction was sharing the same long table.  This was in late September.  I told him that, in my mind, the Dow should more realistically be at about 24,500.  This was all too simplistic for him.  He could only talk in ivory tower econometric models that he did as part of his work.  Well, I was only partly right.  The slide has exceeded what I said by almost 3,000 points.  Bah hambug.

Agreed, we have been long overdue for a correction.

https://money.cnn.com/data/markets/

Apple is down to $146 and change. Over all this week to the end of the year will be profit taking and I would not be surprised to see the market hit 20K and then bounce back up to around 21-22k.

The KKR published in mid 2017 saying the US would be in a deep recession by the end of 2019.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-13/kkr-predicts-us-recession-2019-and-inevitable-cycle-millennial-deleveraging 

Now many various places are saying it too and it seems the drop in stock market, over long crazy trillion dollars of debt by businesses and the billions in personal debt will take us there.

It is going to be interesting to see what all happens next year.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Almost all of the gains in the stock market (did the Dow brush 26,000 or 27,000?) under the current President have been eliminated.

Well, no. Dow was right about 17,500 when Trump was elected, so it's still up 4000 pts from then. Beyond that, the S&P was up 19.4% last year alone, so the bump is even greater if you're in it for the long term. This is not to dismiss the 5000 pt drop from the peak tho.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 12.04.59 AM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

Take a lookie-loo at this old '70 Plymouth. You guys know the model. It's straight, no visible missing parts or rot; a solid car. Let's assume it's likewise complete underhood (let's say it has a 440 6-pack) & inside. With that assumption, this would probably be termed a '#4 condition' car. Without googling it, what's your guess on it's value as it appears in the pic?

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.19.27 PM.png

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Take a lookie-loo at this old '70 Plymouth. You guys know the model. It's straight, no visible missing parts or rot; a solid car. Let's assume it's likewise complete underhood (let's say it has a 440 6-pack) & inside. With that assumption, this would probably be termed a '#4 condition' car. Without googling it, what's your guess on it's value as it appears in the pic?

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.19.27 PM.png

Would say at least 10 grand....

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

Agreed, we have been long overdue for a correction.

https://money.cnn.com/data/markets/

Apple is down to $146 and change. Over all this week to the end of the year will be profit taking and I would not be surprised to see the market hit 20K and then bounce back up to around 21-22k.

The KKR published in mid 2017 saying the US would be in a deep recession by the end of 2019.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-13/kkr-predicts-us-recession-2019-and-inevitable-cycle-millennial-deleveraging 

Now many various places are saying it too and it seems the drop in stock market, over long crazy trillion dollars of debt by businesses and the billions in personal debt will take us there.

It is going to be interesting to see what all happens next year.

Not so much interesting as scary....figured at least a drop of 8k, could be around 10 grand off....