Random Thoughts Thread

If anyone reading this would be so kind as to indulge me; a brief panels of related questions. Give me your opinion please  ~

1. UFOs- are any of them extra-terrestrial?
2. Do you believe that living extra-terrestrials have been in direct contact with humans in an official capacity (ie; communication with either/or government/military/scienctists)?

Edited by balthazar

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

If anyone reading this would be so kind as to indulge me; a brief panels of related questions. Give me your opinion please  ~

2. Do you believe that living extra-terrestrials have been in direct contact with humans in an official capacity (ie; communication with either/or government/military/scienctists)?

Absolutely no validity to any of it. We are by all means alone in the universe in the sense that we have not been contacted by other intelligent species. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

2. Do you believe that living extra-terrestrials have been in direct contact with humans in an official capacity (ie; communication with either/or government/military/scientists)?

1. UFO's are both terrestrial and extra-terrestrial, after all so many are duped by thinking there is a god and let a fictional book guide their life.
  2. Yes, just look at ancient buildings around the world that humans cannot still explain and the extreme belief in a so called god that could very well have just been an advanced race visiting the pathetic poorly developed humans. As far as an official capacity, look at the nonsense of religion in government.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:57 PM, oldshurst442 said:

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains...plus I love Cheeseburgers...lots of Cheeseburgers!

f05b5a09103b2be3531931eede7304d9c654d62b

Slightly (or not so slightly) crude but funny!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

An Orange Rambler.

FB_IMG_1547000046462.jpg

My neighbors had one like that when I was a kid...one of the first vehicles I remember turning a wrench on.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:
On the other hand...this is fantastic...

Related image

I totally agree.  This run of Cougars was really nice and had a level of refinement both inside and out that the Mustang fell a little short on.  I'm not denigrating the Mustang in any way, but this was a Mercury and that was a Ford.  I remember the "burled walnut" dashboard, per the print ads.  Love the hideaway front lamps and the sequential blinking horizontal tail lamps. This started out with a 289 c.i. V8, am I right?

- - - - -

Back to GM -

So, going forward, what regular cars (coupes and sedans) will GM be building through Chevrolet and Buick?  (Not interested in Cadillac.)   Say about 4 or 5 years from now ...  What do you think?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh well, no one got the joke.

I was trying not to be political. But yes the Trump reference was clear.

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

FB_IMG_1547061305308.jpg

Would save time waiting in drive through lines at Wendy's. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh well, no one got the joke.

Or we all did get it and just being polite to avoid a warning! ;) :P 

After all, 9 1/2 min of Rambling was exhausting last night! :D 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Or we all did get it and just being polite to avoid a warning! ;) :P 

After all, 9 1/2 min of Rambling was exhausting last night! :D 

Not for those of us that had the good sense to read a book instead. I live my life doing business with adults...certain individuals do not qualify. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting!

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Camaro, Corvette, maybe Malibu. The Buick cars are dead cars rolling.

Their legendary pony car, their legendary sports car, and one midsize car that straddles the Cruze and the Impala.  And the last one is tentative.  Interesting.

The price of the current LaCrosse comes way down from the way most of them on the showroom floor are equipped when outfitted with a 2.5 4 cylinder.  I was surprised to see this engine added to the lineup.  If it can pull an Impala, I guess it can pull a LaCrosse.  One just thinks of LaCrosses as starting out with nothing less than the ubiquitous 3.6 V6.

I wonder if I'll be deserting GM the next time I'm in the market.  What a waste of accumulated points that would be.

On 1/8/2019 at 1:22 AM, balthazar said:

1. Well. Yes, some of them are extra-terrestrial. Meteors entering the Earth's atmosphere before they are identified as meteors are unidentified. And indeed, these meteors do come from terrestrial bodies in space outside Earth's atmosphere. So yeah...

But if you mean spaceships that are not built by humans from earth. Then no.

2. I do not know what to believe regarding life on other planets other than earth.  But as far as living extra terrestrials being in direct contact with us humans civilian or persons of the military/government or scientists Id say no to that! 

Now...there is a theory that kind of suggests that the DNA for life on Earth did in fact start in space when a meteor carrying bacteria from wherever crashed on Earth  and with Earth's perfect environment for life and this bacteria carrying this DNA was a perfect combination for life to start here on Earth.  

Now with that theory in mind, Id say, when scientists decoded the DNA strand thingy, then on a philosophical level, yes, extra-terrestrials did indeed have direct contact with humans...our scientists. Also, when meteors fall on earth, they do carry some elements of the periodic table, therefore, on the same philosophical level that I mentioned before, yes, extra-terrestrials have indeed contacted our scientists...

But as far as actual creatures talking to us via SKYPE, then no! 

Given the vastness of our galaxy and the universe in which it is but one galaxy, I can't imagine that Earth is the only planet with sentient life form units.  Given the vast distances of interstellar space, is it possible other life form units could travel to Earth? No idea.  I could only imagine that technology of other dwellers of the universe to be quite different from our own.   Have they visited Earth?  No idea. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Given the vastness of our galaxy and the universe in which it is but one galaxy, I can't imagine that Earth is the only planet with sentient life form units.  Given the vast distances of interstellar space, is it possible other life form units could travel to Earth? No idea.  I could only imagine that technology of other dwellers of the universe to be quite different from our own.   Have they visited Earth?  No idea. 

Given our collective stupidity... I really hope there is more intelligent life out there somewhere. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Given our collective stupidity... I really hope there is more intelligent life out there somewhere. 

Actually, we do not need to go into the far reaches of space. There are other life forms here on Earth that, depending on certain criteria, could qualify as more intelligent than us. 

Are we alone in this weird and vast universe?

It is arrogant to think that our planet is the only one to have life on it.  Yet, life is soooo fragile and the creation of it even more so that it is impossible to decide whether our planet is the only one to have life on it. 

If there is life outside of Earth, and these creatures have contacted our military and political leaders or our doctors and scientists already, I say that we would have already seen and felt these creatures through their armies and colonizers or on the opposite side of the spectrum, their philosophers and religious disciples which in turn, would make us see their armies and crusaders trying to convert us, then colonize us...or use us as food...

No different than what humans have done here on earth. No different than what the other animals do here on earth....

Edited by oldshurst442

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

If there is life outside of Earth, and these creatures have contacted our military and political leaders or our doctors and scientists already, I say that we would have already seen and felt these creatures through their armies and colonizers or on the opposite side of the spectrum, their philosophers and religious disciples which in turn, would make us see their armies and crusaders trying to convert us, then colonize us...or use us as food...

What if they were benevolent?

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What if they were benevolent?

Some in their society could be benevolent.  But some in their society could be malicious too.  And those are the ones that probably rule. And we humans have always been a social animal, but a very territorial animal too.  And we try to conquer other territories while we defend the ones we got from other conquerors.  We also eat other life forms for our survival needs. 

And the kicker: We humans not only try to conquer other humans' territories,  but we conquer other animal's territories too.  And the weird thing about that is...the other animals here on earth share those characteristics.  They do the same thing to other animals as we do to them, and some even  try to eat us for their own survival...

I am modeling extra-terrestrials after our own experiences here on earth.  It is the only logical way to think about it.  This is how nature works on our planet, unless other proof is given to us, which there is none, then it is logical to conclude that that is how nature works on other planets too. If any. 

And if that is not enough, on a molecular level, that is how bacteria and pathogens and cancer and anti-bodies work as well.  And ironically, how life is formed with sperm and the egg,  etc...

Edited by oldshurst442

We'll this just continues to confirm we are in for a recession as I expect more global slow down. GM and Ford are doing the right thing reducing headcount and closing factories of surplus capacity.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/investors-are-finding-out-now-why-the-stock-market-tanked-in-december/ar-BBS1yeY?li=BBnb7Kz

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I am modeling extra-terrestrials after our own experiences here on earth.  It is the only logical way to think about it.

I don't agree that such an approach is necessarily logical. There are tremendous differences within the animal kingdom on Earth (EX; domestic house cat / scorpion). Further, there have been/continue to be groups of humans who have never been conquerors.

stock market tanked in December

Looking forward to the analysis article detailing the stock market DJ rise of 2300 pts since 12/26.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I don't agree that such an approach is necessarily logical. There are tremendous differences within the animal kingdom on Earth (EX; domestic house cat / scorpion). Further, there have been/continue to be groups of humans who have never been conquerors.

Looking forward to the analysis article detailing the stock market DJ rise of 2300 pts since 12/26.

Looking at Fundamentals beyond Stock Market I see clouds on the Horizon...but am here as an auto enthusiast.

That 69 Mach 1 from the other thread...needs to be a Super Cobra Jet.  Love me some vintage Iron.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Looking at Fundamentals beyond Stock Market I see clouds on the Horizon...but am here as an auto enthusiast.

That 69 Mach 1 from the other thread...needs to be a Super Cobra Jet.  Love me some vintage Iron.

I know the car for you, custom car manufacture supposedly got approval from Ford to make a Limited run of 200 GR-1's. They will be offering it with ICE and EV versions. Talk about Super Sexy! :metal:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/08/superformance-ford-shelby-gr-1-concept/

4b8e8e60-1361-11e9-b71e-26f4c1cf7de6

Ford Shelby GR-1 Concept

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Busy as a beaver for the past year but hanging in there.

Welcome back...I don't recall, you aren't in Arizona are you?  The background in your photo reminds me of my old Phoenix neighborhood (the wall, the AC on the roof, palm tree, etc). 

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Welcome back...I don't recall, you aren't in Arizona are you?  The background in your photo reminds me of my old Phoenix neighborhood (the wall, the AC on the roof, palm tree, etc). 

I live in Peoria, AZ so you are spot on correct on the location. Enjoying another nice day of no snow (six years in a row lol).

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, surreal1272 said:

I live in Peoria, AZ so you are spot on correct on the location. Enjoying another nice day of no snow (six years in a row lol).

Ha, I knew it.  I lived in north Central Phoenix (near the Biltmore) from '08-17.  Moved to the Cleveland, Oh area in 2017 (originally from NE Ohio).  Have had 6 inches of snow today..  I still work for a client in Scottsdale (work out of my house).  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Ha, I knew it.  I lived in north Central Phoenix (near the Biltmore) from '08-17.  Moved to the Cleveland, Oh area in 2017 (originally from NE Ohio).  Have had 6 inches of snow today..  I still work for a client in Scottsdale (work out of my house).  

Even though the summers are brutal at times, it is better than the cold, for me. The cold and I have not been on speaking terms for years as it likes to beat the living hell out of my body.

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

Even though the summers are brutal at times, it is better than the cold, for me. The cold and I have not been on speaking terms for years as it likes to beat the living hell out of my body.

I never really got used to the Arizona summers.  Loved my pool, though.  I find I'm healthier in a more maritime climate..love having 4 distinct seasons and all the greenery and water.  I don't miss the dust, heat and sun. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Busy as a beaver for the past year but hanging in there.

Welcome back, great to have you back checking in, hope to see your input on various topics here. :) 

Glad you enjoy your sun and heat, I love my Seattle wet weather.

Have to say I thought this was very cool of what Tesla has setup in Alaska for year round cold weather testing.

Good Story here: https://insideevs.com/tesla-winter-testing-facility-alaska/

• Agree 2

2019 Detroit Auto Show Peeps,

https://www.clickondetroit.com/auto-show/2019-detroit-auto-show-heres-what-automakers-are-expected-to-debut

EXCITEMENT!!!!!

Here's the full 2019 Detroit auto show reveal schedule for Jan. 14 (click links to view specific streams):

• NACTOY, Atrium Stage 8:05 am – 8:30 am
  • Ford 8:40 am – 9:05 am
  • RAM 9:10 am – 9:35 am
  • Toyota 9:40 am – 10:05 am
  • Volkswagen 10:10 am – 10:35 am
  • Nissan 10:40 am – 11:05 am
  • Kia 11:10 am – 11:35 am
  • Infiniti 11:40 am – 12:05 pm
  • Hyundai 12:10 pm – 12:35 pm
  • Subaru Tecnica International 12:40 pm – 1:05 pm
  • Lexus 1:10 pm – 1:35 pm
  • GAC 1:40 pm – 2:05 pm
  • Michelin 2:10 pm – 2:35 pm
  • Magna International, Atrium Stage 2:45 pm – 3:10 pm
  • Roadshow by CNET Shift Awards, Atrium Stage 3:20 pm – 3:45 pm
  • Roadshow by CNET Keynote Speaker, Atrium Stage 3:45 pm – 4:35 pm
  • NAIAS 2020, Atrium Stage 4:45 pm – 4:55 pm
  • Automotive Hall of Fame, Atrium Stage 4:55 pm – 5:05 pm

Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.

• Agree 1

Common Peeps can invest in Atlis Motor Vehicles company here:

https://www.startengine.com/atlis-motor-vehicles

Seems they hit their Million Dollar Mark to get things started.

image.png

Atlis original mockups truly copied Rivian too much.

See the source image

Glad they went with this instead.

See the source image

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I will not donate my money to a startup auto company.. It's one of the most difficult markets to crack into. 

I would totally agree, yet if I did have extra money that I could Gamble with, I would consider investing in this company.I like their concept and what they are wanting to achieve.

• Haha 1

The first concept Atlis has no resemblence to Rivian in the least, but I agree the 2nd concept is much more appealing. They could lower the beltline by 1-2 inches. I still say it reminds of the ideal of the Silverado- LOTS of lines up front (even without a grille). It's like their pendulum swung the full arch the other way.

• Like 1

I've got a question. 

When you take your GM car to the dealership, they are starting to write up the service order, and they insert some sort of device into where the OBD-II goes (under the dash, driver's side), what information are they obtaining with that?

5 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I've got a question. 

When you take your GM car to the dealership, they are starting to write up the service order, and they insert some sort of device into where the OBD-II goes (under the dash, driver's side), what information are they obtaining with that?

Depends on the age of the car for how long the data is stored. It's mostly error codes, engine statistics, that sort of thing.  I have a reader that I can hook up to my phone via bluetooth and it will let me see all of that stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

That is my sweet tea in a mason jar glass. Perfect drink for a 70 degree winter day in the desert.

Well. That looks good. 

It finally got cold in Montreal. The last 2-3 days its been real Canadian wintery cold with very little snow fall. Before that, during the XMAS break, it was really warm. Above freezing temps.   

Im currently watching some hockey on TV.  The HABs and the Bruins are showing.  The family went to bed and I finally have to house to myself in peace...so yeah. Nice for me to be back and nice for YOU to be back! 

• Agree 1