Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

She has a girl next door charm.  Let's just define her as girl next door and someone I would like to get to know better....

Pretty girl and a Buick in a very Ohio looking setting... 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Not a fan of the car but the girl is definitely not average :)

Right! Awesome young woman with Awesome Hair. Loved the long hair of that era and still love it today. Wish more woman would take the time to have long curly hair. Course my wife has long hair, always thought it made the woman. :D 

• Agree 2

I don't know if today is National Coffee Day but I'm going by a Dunkin Donuts and they are proclaiming it National Dunkin Day. Buy something, get free coffee.

For $ 3, I bought 2 of those steak-egg-cheese roll ups for breakfast and got a free medium coffee. Score!

• Agree 2

Apparently my '40 has procedures to adjust the valves, tho I've not poked inside the motor and I don't hear any clattering.

- - - - -
I BESEECH anyone to tell me the benefit of this ("semi-autonomous driving"). It's FAR easier and more comfortable to actually grip something (the wheel) than hold your hands, flaoting, in mid-air. :

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 4.23.25 PM.png

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Apparently my '40 has procedures to adjust the valves, tho I've not poked inside the motor and I don't hear any clattering.

- - - - -
I BESEECH anyone to tell me the benefit of this ("semi-autonomous driving"). It's FAR easier and more comfortable to actually grip something (the wheel) than hold your hands, flaoting, in mid-air. :

Cadillac's implementation is far superior. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Cadillac's implementation is far superior. 

Keep in mind M-B's impl is in an Actros semi truck...very different driving experience than a car or SUV.  A very different use case.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Keep in mind M-B's impl is in an Actros semi truck...very different driving experience than a car or SUV.  A very different use case.

I still think what Cadillac has done could also work for a Class 8 Semi truck, but I do get the point your driving at Robert. Thanks

• Agree 1

You're talking about a vehicle piloting itself; navigating lanes & doing appropriate speed/ braking/ distancing, with some course changes (if within the AD network of allowable operating zones). If following the laws of the roadway you're on, said vehicle should perform exactly the same whether a semi or a sedan. Did you think AD allows a sport sedan to do 90 in a 55 and cut off drivers/pass on the shoulder, but semi's shouldn't be doing that?

But the point wasn't the driving dynamics, but hard selling a technology that allows the driver to hover their fingers an inch or 2 from the wheel. That's not even to the level of a gimmick- it's downright annoying. Either steer, or fold your arms and take a nap.

Edited by balthazar

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

- - - - -

Have you watched an actual video if it in action? You certainly don't need to hover your hands over the wheel the entire time. 

• Thanks 1

FORD RECALLS HUGE

AP has multiple stories on recalls from Ford. 

Ford is recalling 558,000 mid size SUV/CUVs for a Brake Fluid leak issue caused by the front brake lines failing.

The recall covers certain 2015 through 2018 Ford Edge and 2016 through 2018 Lincoln MKX vehicles.

https://apnews.com/article/north-america-06525b5786d13c76a18d8c37fb42ced9

Ford is recalling 700,000 auto's as the backup camera can just go dark at any time.

The recall covers most 2020 versions of Ford’s F-Series trucks, as well as the 2020 Explorer, Mustang, Transit, Expedition, Escape, Ranger and Edge. Also included are the Lincoln Nautilus and Corsair. F-Series trucks are the top-selling vehicle in the U.S.

https://apnews.com/article/north-america-archive-2553654e6b900a207462ec2cb2575b51

Ford recalls 2.5 million auto's for latch and brake problems.

2.1 million auto's are being recalled due to latches that can fail allowing the doors to open while the auto is in motion. This is the third recall for this problem.

344,000 F-150 pickups are being recalled for Master Brake Cylinder leaks that can cause the brake system to fail resulting in crashes.

The recall covers vehicles in the U.S. and includes the 2012 to 2015 Ford Focus, the 2013 to 2014 Ford Fusion, the 2011 to 2014 Ford Fiesta, and the 2013 to 2015 Ford Escape and C-Max. Also covered are the 2013 and 2014 Lincoln MKZ, the 2015 Lincoln MKC, the 2015 Ford Mustang and the 2014 to 2016 Ford Transit Connect van.

The brake fluid recall covers certain 2014 through 2017 F-150s in the U.S. and Canada. The F-Series pickups are the top-selling vehicles in the United States.

https://apnews.com/article/593f7b1b881af8645f80297ed07fbda1

5 minutes ago, David said:

Break Fluid leak issue caused by the front break lines failing.

Just read about these big Ford recalls on the morning News feed. Especially concerning are the "brake" lines that break :smilewide:

Backup camera issue sounds like it's more of an electrical voltage drop issue than just the cameras' too.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Just read about these big Ford recalls on the morning News feed. Especially concerning are the "brake" lines that break :smilewide:

Backup camera issue sounds like it's more of an electrical voltage drop issue than just the cameras' too.

My failure for working my job while also monitoring about the auto industry. :P 

Fixed, thank you :D 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, regfootball said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34220888/2021-bmw-x2-edition-m-mesh-revealed/

The void of Pontiac EXCITEMENT!!! is long gone

BUT IT LOOKS LIKE BMW IS OUT TO FILL THE VOID!!!

MESH GRILLE!!! RED STICKERS!!!!

some day, maybe more CLADDING

2021 bmw x2 edition m mesh

2021 bmw x2 edition m mesh

:puke:

Sums this up perfectly!

• Haha 1

Another reason for my dislike of the UAW. They leaders are screwing the union members.

Former UAW president pleads guilty to embezzling union funds

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-autos-labor-corruption/former-uaw-president-pleads-guilty-to-embezzling-union-funds-idUSKBN26L3KY

Time to face the Music Audi Ex-CEO, VWE expect more costs associated with Dieselgate.

Ex-Audi chief arrives in German court to face dieselgate charges

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-audi/ex-audi-chief-arrives-in-german-court-to-face-dieselgate-charges-idUSKBN26L1KG

So 2020 will be officially last year for Shelby GT350.  With GT500 and upcoming Mach 1 Ford stopping GT350 production.  So pretty limited run to one of the greatest cars Ford ever produced.

I predict in 15-20 years as EVs take over GT350 will become a collectible as one of the last greatest analog cars.

• Agree 2

The GT350 and GT350R sound like they would a fun ride from the reviews I've read...I'd love to have one for a long weekend on twisty, hilly E. Ohio backroads...

Maybe the only car I'd want in white w/ a black interior...w/ blue stripes.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, ykX said:

So 2020 will be officially last year for Shelby GT350.  With GT500 and upcoming Mach 1 Ford stopping GT350 production.  So pretty limited run to one of the greatest cars Ford ever produced.

I predict in 15-20 years as EVs take over GT350 will become a collectible as one of the last greatest analog cars.

I think you’re right.......

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The GT350 and GT350R sound like they would a fun ride from the reviews I've read...I'd love to have one for a long weekend on twisty, hilly E. Ohio backroads...

Maybe the only car I'd want in white w/ a black interior...w/ blue stripes.

That's my favorite color for it as well

2020-Ford-Mustang-GT350-Heritage-Edition

image.jpeg

Edited by ykX
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ykX said:

Sad that they do not do an official announcement with details but instead bring it up during other verbal press releases.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-production-end-discontinued/

Talk about justice, a Man who went from being a coal miner to a CEO and fought every chance he could to remove all regulation, safety and environmental regulations on Coal is now Dying of Black Lung disease. He has since filed this week in his home state of West Virginia for Federal Black Lung Benefits.

My wife says Karma is a Bitch you do not want to cross and I have to say that this man is getting what he deserves.

https://www.wvpublic.org/energy-environment/2020-09-30/bob-murray-who-fought-against-black-lung-regulations-as-a-coal-operator-has-filed-for-black-lung-benefits

• Disagree 1

WOW, Talk about odd stuff at the Beijing Auto Show. All the History of the US auto Industry is up for Pirating I guess.

Old Corvettes are the latest thing made new. Called the Dolphin SS and is a Hybrid with a 1.5 L Turbocharged motor and electric motor with 16 kWh battery pack for a 0 to 62 mph time under 5 seconds.

Check out at the link for more interesting auto's that are clear rip offs of European auto's too.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/30/beijing-auto-show-strangest-vehicles/

image.png

• Haha 1

Seems Europe has done the first in depth review of assisted driving systems and Tesla has come up short compared to so many other auto companies.

Many of the review writeups say the same thing as this one.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/10/euro-ncap-develops-assisted-driving-assessment-bashes-autopilot/

The actual details of the testing and final scores are here:

https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-safety/safety-campaigns/2020-assisted-driving-tests/

https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/assisted-driving-gradings

This does make me wonder how they would rate the Cadillac SuperCruise system.

Very cool channel, Hydraulic Press Channel

• Like 1

Here is the ultimate truck for the Diesel Lovers here:

12 Wheel, 42.4L V12 Turbo Diesel Engine, producing 1,500 HP with a 220 Ton carrying capacity, 105 ft long, 22 feet wide and 11 feet high.

More details and pics here: https://www.thedrive.com/news/36839/the-soviets-built-a-12-wheeled-mega-truck-with-a-42-4l-engine-and-220-ton-carrying-capacity

image.png

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, David said:

Talk about justice, a Man who went from being a coal miner to a CEO and fought every chance he could to remove all regulation, safety and environmental regulations on Coal is now Dying of Black Lung disease. He has since filed this week in his home state of West Virginia for Federal Black Lung Benefits.

My wife says Karma is a Bitch you do not want to cross and I have to say that this man is getting what he deserves.

https://www.wvpublic.org/energy-environment/2020-09-30/bob-murray-who-fought-against-black-lung-regulations-as-a-coal-operator-has-filed-for-black-lung-benefits

Makes me a little sad. Too much hate in the world to really say anything else....

That said- man it is going to be chilly this weekend! Looking at a high near 50 on Sunday.....

a Man who went from being a coal miner to a CEO and fought every chance he could to remove all regulation, safety and environmental regulations on Coal is now Dying of Black Lung disease.

If I'm reading that correctly, he contracted Black Lung UNDER the regulated system, since I doubt a CEO was still down in the mines. Sounds like the regulations / safety stuff he was lobbying against weren't working, right?

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

If I'm reading that correctly, he contracted Black Lung UNDER the regulated system, since I doubt a CEO was still down in the mines. Sounds like the regulations / safety stuff he was lobbying against weren't working, right?

Nope as it stated, he worked in the mines for 17 years and black lung was rampant. He worked up into mgmt. left the mines and Gov started to move to put in places protection for the miners against Black Lung. He fought it, Ex-President Obama made the most stringent changes  in the last couple decades to reduce the dust that causes Black Lung to a minimal effort requiring plenty of filtration, masks and fresh air and he still used everything he could to fight the new standards as they would cost more money reducing profits for the Coal company owners and share holders.

History shows he could care less about the miners and yet now with the same Black Lung he is wanting companies to cover his medical. 

Hypocrite. IMHO

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Apparently from the Reduviidae family, I found this pic which is labeled Zelus nymph: 

32BD96E6-B140-43D9-AA39-5F49C8C9DBFB.jpeg

Very cool, much appreciated. I see these guys prey on Mosquitoes, Flies, Caterpillars and Beetles. WOW :metal:

Have to say I really like this car.

• Agree 1