Random Thoughts Thread

24 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

What. IS. That? (YUCK!)

That, my friend, is what's known as a 'hot mess'.

- - - - -
'16 Malibu 1.5T. Have to say, this car is a huge improvement over the '09 that preceded it. It does 90 on the highway like it's doing 40. The power is also very good as is the handling/ride/steering. 

IMG_3464.jpg

• Agree 3

On 4/24/2021 at 8:30 AM, balthazar said:

XP-92 2.png

I "sort of" like it, but then I've got a weak spot for pop-up headlamps.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:35 AM, Robert Hall said:

^ hmmm. ‘61 full-size styling study? I’m guessing Olds going by the rear quarter

You may be onto something.  At first, I thought Pontiac, because it's more "out there" and the rear wheel skirts would be seen on so many of their standard sized cars going forward, even if sporty.

But, with the way the front grille is treated, plus some "rocket-like" styling cues along the sides, it could be an Olds.

I like it more than not ... for its day.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I "sort of" like it, but then I've got a weak spot for pop-up headlamps.

You may be onto something.  At first, I thought Pontiac, because it's more "out there" and the rear wheel skirts would be seen on so many of their standard sized cars going forward, even if sporty.

But, with the way the front grille is treated, plus some "rocket-like" styling cues along the sides, it could be an Olds.

I like it more than not ... for its day.

Some interesting details on that concept..definitely has the '61 B- and C- body A pillar shape, and a similar to the '61 C-body roofline.   The scoops in the fender and door, if reversed, are similar to what appeared on the '63-'65 Riviera. 

The rear quarter reminds me of a '61 Olds, with the skegs and bumper shape.  The roofline is similar to the prouduction C-body.  '61 Olds 98 for comparison..

unnamed-8.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I stumbled onto this Curbside Classics vehicle.

A very basic '77 Malibu Classic in impeccable condition.

You scroll down and see a bullet proof inline 250 c.i. 6 and nothing much else except the automatic trans, power steering, and power brakes.

So, no A/C, no electric accessories, but nothing to spruce it up. either.  I think it could be much helped with (1) a set of thin whitewall tires, (2) some nicer wheel covers (like the "spirograph" ones of that era), and (3) 2 body colored exterior mirrors ... and (4) some blue seat belts.

This is basic, reliable motoring at its best.  I wouldn't mind having this.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc-for-sale/cc-for-sale-1977-chevrolet-malibu-classic-simply-good/

Pampered, it would be amazing how low this sled could last.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

Some good Jazz for Monday...

On the automotive front, would love to have been alive in the early 60's for those cars. Many of them are far better designs than even the later sixties cars. 

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

You scroll down and see a bullet proof inline 250 c.i. 6 and nothing much else except the automatic trans, power steering, and power brakes.

So, no A/C, no electric accessories, but nothing to spruce it up. either.  I think it could be much helped with (1) a set of thin whitewall tires, (2) some nicer wheel covers (like the "spirograph" ones of that era), and (3) 2 body colored exterior mirrors ... and (4) some blue seat belts.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc-for-sale/cc-for-sale-1977-chevrolet-malibu-classic-simply-good/

I miss seventies cars also. This could park in the library lot while I was reading inside as a kid...Neat survivor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Meant to say "how long* this sled could last."  As a hobby/second car, anyway.

* not into low riders ... no thanks.

I think I've mentioned before; my buddy has a '77 Malibu 2-dr. It was a 250 CI I6, now it's a 454 V8. He was just asking me to help him find big block front springs for it this morning.
Neat to see such a well-preserved one as the blue job linked above, but there's a lot of details on these cars that just screams 'cheap' to my eye.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

That Malibu is neat, a bit too plain for my tastes..from the same model year, I'd rather have a Caprice coupe..always thought these were good looking.

0a5590896910b4861543fcb0bdb57545.jpg

45bf46c50b75410fa93fd677dcc03340.jpg

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I think I've mentioned before; my buddy has a '77 Malibu 2-dr. It was a 250 CI I6, now it's a 454 V8. He was just asking me to help him find big block front springs for it this morning.
Neat to see such a well-preserved one as the blue job linked above, but there's a lot of details on these cars that just screams 'cheap' to my eye.

I recall that you might have driven from MI to NJ with someone in their Cutlass that had a 250 c.i. inline 6.  I didn't recall about someone you knew with a Malibu 250 c.i. 6, unless I got my facts crossed.  The reason I get so wigged out by ones like these is because I would actually roll up my sleeves and do the work, and how inexpensive they theoretically would be to maintain, especially if someone lived in a temperate climate.

16 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That Malibu is neat, a bit too plain for my tastes..from the same model year, I'd rather have a Caprice coupe..always thought these were good looking.

0a5590896910b4861543fcb0bdb57545.jpg

Right, as to its being plain, but, just like above, adding a handful of those things to its plain exterior could help.

As for the Caprice above, Chevy definitely did their own thing with the sheet metal, especially in that beltline at the passenger window and the creased back lite.

Now, if we're talking Chevy, as I've mentioned before, I'd like a hobby '94 to '96 Caprice with one of the plush interior set-ups and the smaller 200 hp V8.

53 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I recall that you might have driven from MI to NJ with someone in their Cutlass that had a 250 c.i. inline 6.  I didn't recall about someone you knew with a Malibu 250 c.i. 6, unless I got my facts crossed.

I thought that Cutlass was the 3.8L V6, but can't remember; maybe you can save me the look-up time because you already know.
That was 1985, the car was a '76 or '77. In looking at pics just now, I didn't recall it was that larger generation; it seemed smaller to me then.

My buddy here has his '77 Malibu now, we did mention it once before here. Me no likey. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I thought that Cutlass was the 3.8L V6, but can't remember; maybe you can save me the look-up time because you already know.
That was 1985, the car was a '76 or '77. In looking at pics just now, I didn't recall it was that larger generation; it seemed smaller to me then.

My buddy here has his '77 Malibu now, we did mention it once before here. Me no likey. 

Standard:

'75, '76 - 250 c.i. inline 6

'77 - 231 c.i. V6 (odd firing)

'78 through '87+ '88 RWD models - 3.8 (231 c.i.) V6 (even firing)

- - - - -

Not surprised you don't like it! You weren't on board with my entertaining the purchase of a '77 colonnade I saw in the U.P. of MI that I posted pictures of.

It's just not my era of appeal. I lived thru them, but they were never as good as the prior decade's same-segment stuff. 

- - - - -
So the MI>NJ Cutlass must've been a '77, I'm fairly certain it was the V6.

... So I just looked the Cutlass guy up on FB- have not talked to him since we were in school together. He did work for Ford in Global Planning, now works for Hyundai's tech center. We were both going to automotive design, I have no idea if he went further than year 1; as I changed targets/schools after year 1.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

I can remember the mid 70s Collonades from childhood in the 70s, but by the time I started driving in the mid 80s most of them had rusted away or were worn out beaters.   Didn't see many in nice shape in Ohio or S. Florida then.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Was a beautiful 78 degree day today so I sat outside with the camera (and 200mm telephoto attached) and caught some of the wildlife out and about. 

DE83E32F-AA9F-466C-90BC-CCC6265B3C4B.jpeg

33CBA704-5BC0-4B3C-A093-F26CF96F4C52.jpeg

Excellent!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

It’s a nice one!

• Thanks 2

On 4/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, balthazar said:

Tho there was a consolette for the Toro, I believe they were all column-shift. Pics of cars with consoles seem to pnly show that configuration. ‘Horseshoe’ shifter was found in the Riviera in this era.

In this era, that is correct.  The consolette was an option on the Deluxe trim and only existed as a storage box between the front seats and did not intrude into the front flat floor. I don't think the Toronado got a console shifter until 1986, but that one was a horseshoe shifter.

• Agree 1

On 4/26/2021 at 12:44 PM, trinacriabob said:

I'm just waiting for Jimmy Carter to come out and tell me to put on a sweater... that thing just yawns malaise...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Think it could be fine after some custom touches... 🙂

Who/what?

Jimmy Carter?

Sure!

Malaise era shorts and god awful socks and shoes

Jimmy Carter in shorts in rural field, with admirers at a fence,... News  Photo - Getty Images

Jimmy Carter's legacy, in photos

Nice custom touches...

Black tuxedo with a bow tie and his loving, beautiful bride by his side.

Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter Marriage Photos and TImeline | PEOPLE.com

• Haha 2

Ford has admitted that the last couple of decades were anything but Quality is Job 1 at Ford and with 2021 models having numerous problems, Ford is coming out in talking about how they are changing this to get back to Quality is Job 1 as a reason for customers to buy Ford products and they point to the Mach-E and F-150e truck as the new standard.

The nightmare of launch for the Lincoln Aviator and Ford Explorer are to be a thing of the past.

How Ford's making sure quality is Job 1 once again - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Seems Toyota believes customers want a lifted AWD Minivan and as such for 2022 they have the Toyota Sienna Woodland Edition.

2022 Toyota Sienna Woodland Edition is the lifted, AWD minivan of your dreams | Autoblog

I honestly have to say this is one UGLY MOTHER F&@#ER! IMHO

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Where's the "lifted" minivan? There was nothing lifted in the video...

Toyota says it is lifted to 6.9" of ground clearance over the standard. 

Quote: At the heart of this package is an all-wheel-drive Sienna with 15 mm (about 6/10ths of an inch) of additional ground clearance, for a total of 6.9", thanks to a unique set of shocks and springs.

Not what I would call lifted, but then this is Toyota. :lol:

image.png

• Haha 1

Nissan has released a new GT-R NISMO edition.

Nissan has shown off their latest SUV and e-Power auto's that have surpassed 500,000 sales in Japan alone.

Nissan displays diverse lineup at Auto Shanghai 2021 (nissannews.com)

2 hours ago, David said:

Toyota says it is lifted to 6.9" of ground clearance over the standard. 

Quote: At the heart of this package is an all-wheel-drive Sienna with 15 mm (about 6/10ths of an inch) of additional ground clearance, for a total of 6.9", thanks to a unique set of shocks and springs.

Not what I would call lifted, but then this is Toyota. :lol:

image.png

Crazy looks or otherwise, it also gets 36MPG, which is far better than ANY 3 row full size SUV that will see just about as much "off road" use. I see zero problem with this.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

That minimal 6.9" of ground clearance is probably just nice to have with snow. Obviously nobody is taking these on off-road trails but an extra little bit to not plow snow would be nice or to scrap less going to a camp site.  I approve of it but also, if you're wanting that little extra clearance, you can just go up a size or two on your tires aspect ratio.

• Agree 3

Auto Suppliers Just Realized EVs Will Cost Them Jobs

Seems with EVs having on average 30% less parts and maintenance, auto supply companies and unions of those workers are wanting the folks in DC to scrap any plans to ban new ICE auto sales in the next 100 years or so.

image.png

21 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm just waiting for Jimmy Carter to come out and tell me to put on a sweater... that thing just yawns malaise...

Or big hair girls with blonde hair and black roots to show back up...

Just now, David said:

Auto Suppliers Just Realized EVs Will Cost Them Jobs

Seems with EVs having on average 30% less parts and maintenance, auto supply companies and unions of those workers are wanting the folks in DC to scrap any plans to ban new ICE auto sales in the next 100 years or so.

image.png

Electric is inevitable, although not happening in its entireity in the next ten years. 

48 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Crazy looks or otherwise, it also gets 36MPG, which is far better than ANY 3 row full size SUV that will see just about as much "off road" use. I see zero problem with this.

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Nissan has released a new GT-R NISMO edition.

Nissan has shown off their latest SUV and e-Power auto's that have surpassed 500,000 sales in Japan alone.

Nissan displays diverse lineup at Auto Shanghai 2021 (nissannews.com)

GTR still an old design though. 

6 hours ago, David said:

I have a boyish crush on her, actually. 

May be an image of text that says 'Barn dust for sale. Increases car value! $500 Crittenden, KY Here I have buckets of authentic barn dust. Just scatter all over any pre-80'scar, car, park it in a shed and turn a $500 beater into a $25,000 "survivor".'

• Haha 2

For those that love the Miata but would rather have a 60's era looking Corvette, this Japanese company is doing just that, a modern Miata underpins this 60's era style corvette.

Only problem I see is the crazy price to import it from Japan to the US. $69,700 😐 

Rare Rides: The 2020 Mitsuoka Rock Star, Believe in Your Dreams (thetruthaboutcars.com)

Rock Star | Models Line-up | Mitsuoka Motor (mitsuoka-motor.com)

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Think it could be fine after some custom touches... 

I agree with this.  Like I said:

Exterior:

Thin whitewall tires

"Spirograph" wheel covers (these probably "disappeared" quickly because they looked sharp for being wheel covers), or the stock up-level alloy wheels for this car

570-03081A-U-4-10222019__19266.157203340

Body side moldings

Sport mirrors, dual body colored

Optional:  landau top

Interior:

New seat belts instead of the budget black ones that come with it

Optional:  the upgraded interior, such as a 60-40 seat, that would be stock for this car (or for the MC, and would fit)

Mechanical:

Nothing.  These engines have a 7 main bearing crankshaft.  They should be able to deliver 250,000 to 300,000 miles if meticulous about maintenance.  And they're less complicated than a V8, or vee-design.

Except for the tires, which one would replace when worn, and the optional items, these fixes would cost less than $ 500.

I wouldn't pay the $ 9,000 they are/were asking, but somebody probably stepped up to the plate for it.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, David said:

For those that love the Miata but would rather have a 60's era looking Corvette, this Japanese company is doing just that, a modern Miata underpins this 60's era style corvette.

Only problem I see is the crazy price to import it from Japan to the US. $69,700 😐 

Rare Rides: The 2020 Mitsuoka Rock Star, Believe in Your Dreams (thetruthaboutcars.com)

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Lacks the grace of the original 60's vette and the new MX5. Just plain no. 

• Agree 2

Worth listening to in its entirety. Guys companion/partner girlfirend(ex girlfriend) comits suicide-his reflections. 

Have a great day everybody

Chris

Edited by A Horse With No Name

1 hour ago, David said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Opposite of what @A Horse With No Namesaid, i think they look quite beautiful. Yes, they're different but this is certainly one of the best "put an old body on a modern car" jobs I've ever seen. It just seems quite well done, to me. 

• Agree 1