Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

On 5/7/2021 at 4:55 PM, trinacriabob said:

I will go to Buca di Beppo and then swear that I won't return.  And then I get a coupon for 20% off in some coupon packet. 

That was the case today for lunch.  Their food is FAR being from good Italian food.  It's caked with this bad and heavy tomato sauce.  All the dishes going to adjacent tables looked the same.

I just vowed I won't be going back.  But then there's the expression, "never say never."  

I swore them off also. There is a place in Cleveland that is amazing, need to find it again. Columbus does not have a lot of good Italian food, actually. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:43 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Restaurant chains...just suck no matter how you slice your thought process.  ESPECIALLY the ones that "specialize" in "fine" dining or "authentic" ethnic food.  

No need to dine in 5 star, Cordon Bleu level chef restaurants.  The 'good 'ole mom and pop restaurant will do.  

I know, I know....those dont exist anymore.  *SIGH*

Montreal had a ton of those.  Italian and Greek owned mom and pop restaurants from the '50s all the way to the '80s was a REAL treat. REAL Authentic Greek or Italian dishes  made LITERALLY like "momma used to make". 

Diners,   fast food joints,    quick eateries,    a step or two below fine dining restaurants...Montreal had those literally at every major street corner.  

I miss those days.   

A bunch of them in Ohio. My wife and I ate at one the other day. Miata Club used to ahve a "dump of the month" where we would have a convoy of Miatas and someone woudl find something good and out of the way to eat at. 

On 5/8/2021 at 11:46 AM, trinacriabob said:

Why hello, darling ...

Thought I'd wake you guys up on a Saturday morning.

That would be enough to make me a celibate monk. 

On 5/9/2021 at 9:22 AM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 9.13.06 AM.png

I love 60's cars in White. I will see your Ford and raise you a Chevy. 

No photo description available.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

His Instagram, he made it to amazing places. 

https://www.instagram.com/bryankercher/?hl=en

Bryan Hiking...

May be an image of 1 person

WOW, R.I.P. An amazing life for sure, sad to have lost it due to extreme weather, but he lived his life on his terms doing what he loved.

Thanks for sharing. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Bryan Hiking...

May be an image of text that says 'Christian roulette 1. Open the Bible in a random page. 2. Follow exactly what is written. 3. The last one to go to jail wins.'

That is too funny, pretty accurate of life be you one to believe in religion or not. Thanks for posting an accurate portrayal of life!

• Agree 1

WOW, Ransomware on the stupid gas supplying line owned by Colonial Pipeline operations that deliver 45% of all gas supplies to the Greater SouthEast of the country has caused people to go stupid. Gas shortage, rationing and stupid fights. A woman in a new Honda hits an auto for not letting her cut in line at Marathon gas station and then they end up fighting each other.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COvyhm7nu8N/

WOW, People really get stupid. Why would you want to damage your auto let alone spit on another person and then he was an idiot for getting out to fight her. Both deserved the arrest they got.

image.png

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I am not a big impulse buyer at all.  Yesterday, I was at Costco around lunch to have my tires rotated and balanced.  I've done fairly well with these so far ... 60,000 miles and more to go.

I had a "Cafe' 150" dog and drink for lunch.  I got samples (dark chocolate pretzels) from walking around!  The "Costco lunch" will return.  (Y'all get vaccinated, now.)

I wandered over into the clothing.  I saw these jeans by Izod for $14.99.  I can always use a pair to run errands and for casual wear where labels don't matter.  I picked them up and, since they stretch some, they obviously were not cotton.  They also have some poly, rayon, and spandex in the mix.  The lady working the area wrinkled her nose when I said, "When 87F and muggy in New Orleans?" I guess not, but they would be fine in 67F in Minneapolis.  Plus, they're something to wear when you roll out of bed and run errands on the weekend. 

Costco clothing is one of the few places I may break my impulse purchase rule.  I once bought a dark green Gerry down jacket for a kick ass price.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Stretchy jeans are the only jeans I'll wear. They're sooooo much more comfortable than genuine denim. 

I keep eating like I am I won't even fit stretch jeans...

Posted just for fun...Ranger is doing great. 

May be an image of car and text that says 'Speed OWN A FORD AND Kiles Lve FOREVER'

From this weekend's hike in the Alleghany national Forest. Minster trail North loop. 

No description available.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Stretchy jeans are the only jeans I'll wear. They're sooooo much more comfortable than genuine denim. 

You just like the way they make your butt look good for your woman! 😆

• Haha 1

From a woodworking forum on FB, true..

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

The truth...

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-faq-about-your-new-birth-control-the-music-of-rush?fbclid=IwAR1SQ2D55Qh3jQ-z3K9_ZfhVREFlEd0APG2d2bMzeRjfcat39RK0dC9uGug

Since Balthy was talking about GTO's...if the shoe fits...wear it. 

May be an image of footwear

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, David said:

You just like the way they make your butt look good for your woman! 😆

Hahaha they're not super duper tight, just stretchy! 

12 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Yeah, it is getting bad out there. Since I am furloughed from my main job (not looking good there, been in interviews the lat few weeks) I am working at my 2nd job-which happens to be in retail. I’ve nearly been attacked twice in the last few weeks for trying to help co workers with customers- anti maskers-or simply jerks (or political). I understand that people are unhappy with much going on in the world- but it shouldn’t make people full of anger and hate. I still treat everyone with respect and love- there is already too much crazy in the world to add to it.....

I just don't understand it. Nobody WANTS to be wearing a mask. Just do it as it's stores' policy and the sooner we can get on board(mostly talking about last year when there was more people revolting against wearing one) the sooner we can get back to what the new "normal" will be. I don't enjoy wearing a mask but it's so much easier to just freakin do it than to b!tch about it and get into arguments over it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Anyone here affected by the gas shortage in the SE and East Coast areas?   Lots of drama, sounds like...people hoarding gas, filling up plastic bags with gas, etc...

Yes, I have coworkers who live in North Carolina and have said they have never seen it like this. One said the shortage and long lines is what his father said the mid 70's were like which I do remember the long waits in line for a set amount of fuel. Crazy, so glad I do not have to deal with it here as I just filled up both the SS and Escalade for $100. 

In other news, crazy to see a major bridge beam totally split in two.

Look at the Terrifying Cracked Beam That Shut Down the Vital I-40 Bridge Indefinitely (msn.com)

image.png

image.png

For me and Not trying to be political, but we really need the $2 trillion dollar infrastructure spending to rebuild the US Roads / bridges more than we need $36 million dollar fighter jets that are a failure or more ships, etc. We need to re-invest in our country.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Anyone here affected by the gas shortage in the SE and East Coast areas?   Lots of drama, sounds like...people hoarding gas, filling up plastic bags with gas, etc...

I haven't seen gas outages in NJ but there were definitely long lines and people getting cans of gas "just in case".

Got gas this morning at Costco before work, no line at 6am but there is sign that no more than two "approved" gas containers per transaction.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

One of my children called at a gas station in a panic because they were low and trying to get back to Ohio and all of the gas stations around them were out. They found fuel and made it safely home.

Hope Columbus does not become affected, I am running low myself. 

Chris

3 hours ago, David said:

Yes, I have coworkers who live in North Carolina and have said they have never seen it like this. One said the shortage and long lines is what his father said the mid 70's were like which I do remember the long waits in line for a set amount of fuel. Crazy, so glad I do not have to deal with it here as I just filled up both the SS and Escalade for $100. 

In other news, crazy to see a major bridge beam totally split in two.

Look at the Terrifying Cracked Beam That Shut Down the Vital I-40 Bridge Indefinitely (msn.com)

image.png

image.png

For me and Not trying to be political, but we really need the $2 trillion dollar infrastructure spending to rebuild the US Roads / bridges more than we need $36 million dollar fighter jets that are a failure or more ships, etc. We need to re-invest in our country.

Yep, absolutely. 

• Agree 2

😫 Today has been a nightmare. 

February 19th 2019 during a freezing snowing night here, my wife went downstairs to do laundry and yelled that water was coming up out of the floor drain.

Discovered that the server line on our house being 67 years old had failed. We repaired it to what I thought was the city line. Connection of where our 4" line connects to the bigger 6" city line and into the main sewer line. Expensive repair.

Today, mid morning, went to leave for a Dr. appointment and discovered the laundry room was flooded with sewage. Used my shop vac and clean up the worst of it, cleaned myself up again and left for my appointment. 

Called the plumbing company that did the work to come out and figure out why I was backed up. At 69 years of age, discovered that the connection point from 4" to 6" has failed. Worse yet is the city says that connection being on my property is my responsibility as they only go up to the property line. :( So now awaiting quotes for repairing it. Been told to gently use the toilets till they fix it.  Totally unexpected large expenses kill getting ahead in life.

• Sad 3

27 minutes ago, David said:

😫 Today has been a nightmare. 

February 19th 2019 during a freezing snowing night here, my wife went downstairs to do laundry and yelled that water was coming up out of the floor drain.

Discovered that the server line on our house being 67 years old had failed. We repaired it to what I thought was the city line. Connection of where our 4" line connects to the bigger 6" city line and into the main sewer line. Expensive repair.

Today, mid morning, went to leave for a Dr. appointment and discovered the laundry room was flooded with sewage. Used my shop vac and clean up the worst of it, cleaned myself up again and left for my appointment. 

Called the plumbing company that did the work to come out and figure out why I was backed up. At 69 years of age, discovered that the connection point from 4" to 6" has failed. Worse yet is the city says that connection being on my property is my responsibility as they only go up to the property line. :( So now awaiting quotes for repairing it. Been told to gently use the toilets till they fix it.  Totally unexpected large expenses kill getting ahead in life.

Yikes! So sorry my friend! Had to replace a few things in my house (piping, hot water heater) that zapped quite a bit of cash from us. Seems to hit at the worse of times! Hoping for the best for you......

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, David said:

...the connection point from 4" to 6" has failed. Worse yet is the city says that connection being on my property is my responsibility as they only go up to the property line.

Sounds like the connection is possibly ON the line- would have to gauge exactly where the issue is after excavation. Did plumber run a camera thru? Do you know what the pipe material is?

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Sounds like the connection is possibly ON the line- would have to gauge exactly where the issue is after excavation. Did plumber run a camera thru? Do you know what the pipe material is?

4K camera run, saw it, all cement a very weird zig zag from 4" to 6" city says it is on my property, my problem. The plumber says once they replace the connection point, they can do like they did on the 4" by lining the 6" out to the street so I should never have a problem again. would be a sealed lined pipe then. Awaiting the scary damage price as I expect it to be 5 figures. :( 

On 5/13/2021 at 12:52 AM, balthazar said:

Seems like a crazy ad for a new car dealer in a high school yearbook ~ 

22 134 Gay (TX) 2.png

And, from driving up and down I-45 (the Gulf Freeway) between Houston and Galveston in February, I can tell you it's still there.  Except that it's a Buick-GMC dealership.  The owners must have some "cojones" to not change the name.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:32 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

Who that has been on this C&G forum for a while isn't (somewhat) weird?  This place is "Quirk Central."

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

And, from driving up and down I-45 (the Gulf Freeway) between Houston and Galveston in February, I can tell you it's still there.  Except that it's a Buick-GMC dealership.  The owners must have some "cojones" to not change the name.

Named after Carl Gay who founded the dealer in the 40s.

• Thanks 2

Also, right in that same area, along the Gulf Freeway, and in other parts of Houston, there are several dealerships with the name De Montrond.  You'd think you were in Quebec and NOT in the Lone Star State.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@David That really sucks!  We have underground pipe that supplies water burst this winter but most of the damage was outside.  Yours sounds like much worst problem. I hope you got a good home insurance.  We eventually got most of the money back from the insurance.

• Thanks 1

Was cleaning / sanitizing till late last night, clean up and then had to do some work till 1 am. slept and back up, getting some work done before I continue my cleanup. Still no quote yet from the plumber for the repair.

Did get a quote for a 50 gallon hot water tank replacement and WOW is that pricey now, $3,512.49 This gets me a 6yr 50 gallon hot water tank, 2 gallon thermal expansion tank, repair of copper water lines, code compliant natural gas water heart stand with drip pan.

My tank is 10 years old and starting to have rust color in the hot water you get from the tap. I am thinking they will send me a quote for about $25 to 30K large for this sewer line repair. :( 

• Thanks 1

In February durring the wicked freeze, we had a water line bust on us.. It was in the ceiling going to our kitchen. We got pretty lucky with the placement as to not make TOOOOO much of a mess but it still sucked. 

Why is a 50 gallon hot water tank $3500?!? That seems absurd! 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

In February durring the wicked freeze, we had a water line bust on us.. It was in the ceiling going to our kitchen. We got pretty lucky with the placement as to not make TOOOOO much of a mess but it still sucked. 

Why is a 50 gallon hot water tank $3500?!? That seems absurd! 

I have no idea, other than the growth of this area has really pushed up prices in the greater Seattle Area. I do know that the local governments are getting crazy stupid with permits. Have to replace some of my fence in the back yard, just rotted out and a tree branch fell and took it out during winter. The local city had in their latest news letter a reminder to all city citizens that permits are required for all work around your house. They had listed $150 for fence permit. WTF, WHY do I have to pay you to replacement fence with a new one. Nope not gonna happen, will do it myself this summer and I am not paying their robbery.

In the quote, Hot water Tank permit was $250.00 This is so crazy that I had to laugh at it. I have decided I am going to hold off and will end up replacing the tank my self with one bought from Home Depot. The price is just crazy stupid, will have my son help me with the project and then take the tank up to a recycler.

Bummer about your frozen pipe, yes, pipes bursting suck., glad the mess was not too bad.

Finished getting caught up on work email, off to clean and sanitize.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Not trying to be all political but, that's what your people(west coast) have voted for, more government oversight. 

I understand, I have always voted on the skills of the person, not a party but sadly, yes plenty of folks did vote for this overkill of oversight. Amazing how many people are not willing to learn how to properly learn a skill set.

• Agree 1

Other day I happened to notice the DRL in my wife's Malibu was loose and recessed in it's opening. 
 Had to jack the car up, undo 2 dozen screws, and fish it out.  3 of the 4 mounting tabs were broken, so I super-glued them back on real good and let the light sit a few days.  Then did the whole procedure all over again.  Couldn't get to 1 of the fasteners, so it's held by 3/4.  Seems good.

Weird- because there's zero signs of an impact, but car must've bumped something.  Everyone here denies responsibility (it could've happened in a parking lot). 

Another note: Malibu has a lot of underbody fairings, and the wheel wells are some sort of waterproof, molded felt material. Modern vehicles... 🙄

Edited by balthazar

You read/hear the news.  Both kids and adults succumb to fatal attacks from dogs.  You read/listen on.  And most of the time it's a pit bull, or a pit bull mix.  Duh.  And then people get all pissed off about making generalizations? WTF?

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

You read/hear the news.  Both kids and adults succumb to fatal attacks from dogs.  You read/listen on.  And most of the time it's a pit bull, or a pit bull mix.  Duh.  And then people get all pissed off about making generalizations? WTF?

You can add Rottweilers, German Shepard's, Doberman Pinchers and a few others to that same dog attack list. I have known amazing gentle Pitbull's and some that needed to be put down. I do agree with what you say, but also would like to point out that dog socialization with others and how the owner treats / trains the dog to be just as responsible for the outcome.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, David said:

You can add Rottweilers, German Shepard's, Doberman Pinchers and a few others to that same dog attack list. I have known amazing gentle Pitbull's and some that needed to be put down. I do agree with what you say, but also would like to point out that dog socialization with others and how the owner treats / trains the dog to be just as responsible for the outcome.

And those are the other ones - the other 10% to 15%.  Socialization with people and treatment of the animal are crucial.  

The only one that is sort of a surprise is the German Shepherd.  Dog write-ups speak of them in mostly very positive terms.  I think that, of the ones that can be dangerous, they are a beautiful dog.  The issue with German Shepherds, they write, is that they can turn if they are being mistreated.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

And those are the other ones - the other 10% to 15%.  Socialization with people and treatment of the animal are crucial.  

The only one that is sort of a surprise is the German Shepherd.  Dog write-ups speak of them in mostly very positive terms.  I think that, of the ones that can be dangerous, they are a beautiful dog.  The issue with German Shepherds, they write, is that they can turn if they are being mistreated.

I grew up with Dobermans and German Shepherds, they were great family dogs..very protective and loving.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

The issue with German Shepherds, they write, is that they can turn if they are being mistreated.

And also with regards to the other "dangerous" dogs that you mentioned.

These types of dogs...is what David said:

10 hours ago, David said:

how the owner treats / trains the dog

Dogs behave the way they have been trained to behave.  Big, powerful dogs make good guard dogs, because they are big, powerful...and they can be trained.  So they are what they are.

Now...the part of turning when mistreated.

What animal does NOT turn when mistreated?

Dolphins are one of the most docile mammals  on the planet.  More friendly than humans even. Very playful with themselves and with humans. Piss one off and see if they wont kill you...

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I grew up with Dobermans and German Shepherds, they were great family dogs..very protective and loving.  

Especially German Shepherds.  They will protect not only their master, but their master's better half and kids. ESPECIALLY to the kids if that German Shepherd has had a relationship with the kids. And often to the detriment of the aggressor...

Pitbulls are no more dangerous than a poodle.   

Pitbulls are very strong animals. And are very susceptible to be trained as an aggressive breed. And humans train them and mistreat them on PURPOSE on the SOLE purpose of these dogs to BE aggressive and to be killers.  Not the breeds fault if we humans choose to be garbage masters towards this breed.  If anything, its us humans that need to be re-evaluated with our intentions of what we are going to do with this breed rather than question the breed itself. 

• Agree 2