Random Thoughts Thread

As much as I dislike the c-pillar trim, the CT5-V seems like a tasty package, esp. w/ the manual.   The last hurrah of V8 RWD manual sports sedans...  

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.46.10 PM.png

Poor old Jeep...at least in AZ my old one didn't have to deal with rust.   I've seen a few WJs around here with some serious rust around the wheel arches, still on the road after 2 decades...

13 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Someone that came out several centures ago. The folks in Harry Potter that are well near immortal have nothing on our own Baltazar. 

He is expressing emotional frustration rather than fact. You both are correct....he has every right to be frustrated, but the Camaro, Corvette, Cadillac products, Trucks, show real effort on GM's part. 

Real effort on GM's part need to be in every market segment GM competes in.  Ideally, GM would be the market leader in every segment it competes in.  Basically, vehicles such as the Equinox and the Terrain and the Envision should be best in class.  Trucks aside, CUVs are the biggest sellers and GM need to be best in class.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Who is best in class in every segment they compete in right now?

I mean, shouldn't one examine the leader in order to 'reach higher'?

Sure as hell not the Lemming Leader Toyota! 🙄

9 hours ago, David said:

Lots of reasons to avoid them right now. Thier opposition to EV's being one of them. 

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Nailed the stance! 

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.42.43 PM.png

Damn, I could cruise in this for hours...

11 hours ago, David said:

Unfortunately, Toyota is the best seller in a lot of segments.  Once upon a time, it was Chevrolet.  If only GM can get that sales leadership back with segment leading products. . . . .

58 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if there is a GM vehicle that I would take over the comparable Toyota other than the Silverado and Tahoe(if the Sequoia is that large to compare). 

I would take the Cadillac in the background over anything Toyota has especially right now.

image.png

• Haha 1

I don't know if this should be in the joke thread, sort of like "Where does an elephant sit?"  "Anywhere it wants."

Q:  Why did the alligator cross the road in West Mifflin (Pittsburgh), PA?

A:  Because it can.

Gator on the Loose Spotted Crossing Suburban Road in Pennsylvania (msn.com)

Take note of how LOW the fine is for violators who keep animals they shouldn't be keeping.

It would be difficult to relate to people who have a thing for dangerous animals or reptiles as pets.  I'm sure police artists can do a great job of sketching up some stereotypical offending owners.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, David said:

I would take the Cadillac in the background over anything Toyota has especially right now.

165848434_EscaladeFire.jpg.2c9156c8bbc2b10502a09134aff54909.jpg

That's because you're a fanboy and not objectively looking at the two companies' competitive offerings. 

Also, nothing Cadillac makes competes with Toyota-branded vehicles. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's because you're a fanboy and not objectively looking at the two companies' competitive offerings. 

Also, nothing Cadillac makes competes with Toyota-branded vehicles. 

Um, not a fan boy, have had and still own other brands including my 1999 Dodge Durango.

Toyota even in their so called full size Sequoia just reeks of cheapness and I honestly do not fit comfortably in it and no one can sit behind me unlike my Escalade which is a requirement. Yes, I get that many people buy what they like, but if you also think of the comfort of others then Toyota would never be on the list as it does not fit large Americans at all comfortably. The interiors are cheapness on par with GM though lately GM interiors have been improving vastly over Toyota.

I could go on but that is just the start of where I would avoid Toyota on top of their hate for BEVs and wanting to push for unsustainable Hydrogen auto's.

22 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Unfortunately, Toyota is the best seller in a lot of segments.  Once upon a time, it was Chevrolet.  If only GM can get that sales leadership back with segment leading products. . . . .

...or keep building interesting products.

From Audio products to tools to restaurants to clothes....I don't buy the most mass market product in much of anything. Same thing with vehicles. 

RAV 4 Hybrid is a practical piece but ugaly as F. 

I like the new Supra but not so into sports cars any more. 

Tacoma is dated, would rather have a Colorado or Ranger. Or a Gladiator, for that matter. 

Camry....nahhhhh.....25 or 30 grand would buy something more interesting. 

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Oh; there were electric cars in 1968!  A few... but there.

It would be a cool world if you could have an alternate history and have say the 1950's with all of the cool of the concept cars actually making it into production cars....and a variety of power. ICE Steam, electric, Nuclear fusion, etc...a real Buck Rogers type automotive world....

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^

Hold on tight to your dream.  Electric Light Orchestra

In 1968. It was a dream.  

in 2021...its reality.

Tesla unveils redesigned Model S with new interior and 520-mile range  option - The Verge

Electric Vehicles coming in 2021 | EV Charge + | EV news

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT: A Powerful Electric Car | Ford UK

I could see owning a Tesla model 3....I really could. 

I love the vintage vibe of this meme...

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'Sometimes the realest mf in your team is your girl.'

Speaking of the 60's...I always daydream about cruising in a 409 Powered Bubble top Impala when I hear this song. 

May be an image of big cat and text that says 'The urge to sing 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' is always just a whim away A whim away, a whim away, a whim away...'

• Haha 1

My friend Mike is not happy with the backup Camera in his Buick at the moment....He is a good buy and an old friend from College. 

May be an image of car and road

Couch is frightened...

May be an image of 1 person and text

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Oh; there were electric cars in 1968!  A few... but there.

Yup found this one: 1968 MARS II Electric Car

image.png

Update: Early EV – 1968 MARS II Electric Car – Barn Finds

image.png

Cool History Note about the 1968 MIT Clean electric auto race.

MIT Electric Vehicle Team: History - The Clean Air Car Race

• Agree 1

C1 Corvette has seen it’s share of knocks, with some folk stating it had poor performance.
I can only believe this is in comparison to later Corvettes, and not it’s competition in the mid-50’s. 

This is a Triumph ad from ‘64- nine years after the C1 debuted. Note the 0-50 time of 12 secs. The ‘53 Corvette was good for a 0-60 in 11. 

5E16122D-3C95-4065-9960-C8FEF14D3251.jpeg

12 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of big cat and text that says 'The urge to sing 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' is always just a whim away A whim away, a whim away, a whim away...'

12 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Couch is frightened...

May be an image of 1 person and text

You come up with some pretty random ones, @A Horse With No Name.  The one with the lion is corny and, yes, my dad once had that same Impala.  But it was a base model coupe, so I'm thinking it had the 283 V8.  He thought it was really reliable and, in his estimation, powerful.  But, then, he never had a driver's license when he lived across the pond. Thinking of the maxim that, in America, "the streets are paved with gold."

The couch one is downright hilarious.  I'm having one delivered within a week.  It should be interesting to see how that goes.

• Agree 1

It is an August sighting ... and it's not.  It's more about the license plate frame.

This is "clever" marketing.  This dealership might almost assuredly reach a particular market segment.

KIMG0246-inked.thumb.jpg.e72b32af8d04136d4705fabc8fdf946b.jpg

I wonder if people in this shopping center parking lot thought I was weird for taking this photo.

KIMG0243-inked.thumb.jpg.49a8161e0860e55e8bcc453ae4c6a86a.jpg

And this one.

What would be funny is if the guy is a teetotaler. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 9.16.03 PM.png

I love me some flathead V8.

May be an image of car and outdoors

My friend kelly got his Cutlass done, here it is at a small town car show here in Ohio. Proof that old cars do make it out of "under a tarp in the driveway" purgatory. 

5 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I think the east half of Michigan is out of power right now…over 700k by me….. 😮 

Bunch of Ohio had issues also. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Rawlings (company) - Wikipedia

I edited the above post to re-post Rawlings...

I didnt feel comfortable with the so called joke I posted earlier...

It wasnt THAT funny and it certainly wasnt proper.  It was racist in nature, and I am NOT racist. It didnt have a place in here.  So out it went! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

I found this a couple of days ago.  It becomes a great video when this beautiful airplane lands and you can see all 4 thrust reversers in action.

These things were a big deal in just coming from Madrid to New York, Miami, Chicago, and Los Angeles during the summer.

It was an even bigger deal for these bigger Airbus planes to routinely go from Spain to Central America, Brazil, Buenos Aires, and Santiago de Chile.

This plane (the 600 version) was a little bit longer than the 747-400.  However, the latest 747-800 has reclaimed that distinction.

I flew on this one summer, with the U.S. service provided by American, and picking it up in Chicago on the outbound and returning on the long flight to LAX.  This is an incredible machine, with a more comfortable 2-4-2 seating arrangement and those 4 big engines providing the power.

As they are being retired, I realize how much I will miss the Airbus 340.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1