Random Thoughts Thread

Other than the Corvette from '53, bucket seats @ GM appear thusly:

Chevrolet : '60 Corvair (optional), '62 Impala (optional)
Pontiac: '58 Bonneville convertible (optional / actually had buckets front AND rear)
Olds : '61 Starfire (standard)
Buick '59 Electra convertible (optional)
Cadillac : '59 Eldorado Biarritz convertible (optional / approx 100 cars so equipped)

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 7.58.18 AM.png

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Precursor to today's 'floating screens' ?

1208B323-56C5-4CDC-9177-9BD76D511D05.jpeg

Awesome lighting (backlit?) ambience. Old school HI-FI stereo system style in a car that has not only influenced todays LED automobile dashboard lighting,

Exclusive: First photo of Cadillac Lyriq EV's nearly 3-foot monster display  - Electrek

but today's high end HI FI systems.

Old School

The Most Popular Vintage Receivers

New School

MCINTOSH 2-Channel Solid State Amplifier (MC312) | Lipton's Audio Video |  HiFi Audio, Home Theatre, Home Automation

What is old is new again.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

59082A5E-44B3-485C-8401-C264D697CCCB.jpeg

While cool looking, I would so be the Animal with my head sticking out the top but with Sun Glasses on! :P 

anigif_longform-original-3825-1410890261-3.gif

Very interesting Q1 2022 results

Improved Semiconductor Supply Drives Significant Year-over-Year Market Share Gains for GM in Key Truck Segments

2022-q1-sales-graphic.jpg

As @smk4565 mentioned in the Tesla thread, Toyota has a New GR Corolla AWD coming to the US, 304 hp from a turbo charged 3-cylinder engine. Full details at the link below on the auto. One has to wonder how long this tiny engine will last.

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Premieres GR Corolla | Toyota | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

Snag_623d0c9d.png

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Not saying it's never happened but, when was the last time Toyota had issues with an engine failing consistently?

Not saying it will fail, I said how long will it last?

Having a butt load of Torque in a larger engine at a lower RPM seems to have worked for GM and others where the engines have lasted a long time, but I have not heard that high RPM, High Turbo charged stress on an engine will last. 

Yes, we have seen half a million-mile NA engines from Toyota and others, I have yet to see small high pressure turbo engines other than Diesel that have lasted a long time.

35 minutes ago, David said:

Having a butt load of Torque in a larger engine at a lower RPM seems to have worked for GM and others where the engines have lasted a long time, but I have not heard that high RPM, High Turbo charged stress on an engine will last. 

It peaks torque from 3000rpm to 5500rpm and redline is at 6500rpm. It isn't some crazy, high RPM, screaming engine. The engine in the Yaris is making 20psi and I doubt this is much off of that, and that's not some crazy boost pressure. The ATS-V and it's turbo charged engine is at 18psi from the factory. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Toyotas run forever, I am sure the Corolla GR will be reliable.

Considering that I actually think you believe that, I have some lovely Property in Hanford I can sell you cheap with great upside potential! :P 

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 1.50.14 PM.png

So then the Future History is already written on what happens to the joke of an expense, Space Force. :lol:

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Colorado Springs, CO ~ 

ColoradoSprngsCO.png

Wonder if that Rock is still there? Probably not as I would think the weather would wear away the base by now. Very cool Pic, thanks for posting.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:11 AM, ccap41 said:

Not saying it's never happened but, when was the last time Toyota had issues with an engine failing consistently?

1997 - 2005, and probably later, but they are getting away with it more now by specifying lower weight oil and full synthetic.  Those years are just what the class-action/recall covered.

18 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Toyotas run forever, I am sure the Corolla GR will be reliable.

It's a 185 hp/liter 3-cylinder, heavily boosted.  They'll be sensitive to oil changes just like any turbo-charged engine... likely more so.

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Typo
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What's your definition of this? 

20psi is a pretty heavy amount of boost. This isn’t an ATS-V that costs $70k and gets taken care of. 

Turbos in general need better than the “oh, I think I’ll get an oil change this year” schedule that Toyota owners tend to take. Higher pressure turbos more so.

15 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

20psi is a pretty heavy amount of boost. This isn’t an ATS-V that costs $70k and gets taken care of. 

Turbos in general need better than the “oh, I think I’ll get an oil change this year” schedule that Toyota owners tend to take. Higher pressure turbos more so.

Silverado 2.7T utilizes 22psi from the factory. 

Civic Type R makes 23.2psi from the factory.

I also don't think it should be assumed a 60k car gets taken care of better than a 40k car. Both are geared towards enthusiasts and I don't think it's unrealistic to think both would be, generally, maintained about the same by the owners. 

Edited by ccap41

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Silverado 2.7T utilizes 22psi from the factory. 

Civic Type R makes 23.2psi from the factory.

I also don't think it should be assumed a 60k car gets taken care of better than a 40k car. Both are geared towards enthusiasts and I don't think it's unrealistic to think both would be, generally, maintained about the same by the owners. 

I don't know what the GM 1.4T makes for boost from the factory, nor do I know what the BMW 2.0T does....

What I do know is that I can hear when they go below 20% on the oil life monitor.

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't know what the GM 1.4T makes for boost from the factory, nor do I know what the BMW 2.0T does....

What I do know is that I can hear when they go below 20% on the oil life monitor.

This all got me a little curious...

The 1.0 Ecoboost makes 24psi from the factory(Overseas FiST). 

It's a little tougher to find boost pressure for engines that are utilized across a multitude of vehicles but I believe the GM 1.4T makes 16psi. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This all got me a little curious...

The 1.0 Ecoboost makes 24psi from the factory(Overseas FiST). 

It's a little tougher to find boost pressure for engines that are utilized across a multitude of vehicles but I believe the GM 1.4T makes 16psi. 

My point is that even piddling little turbo engines of mediocre output are/can be quite sensitive to oil change requirements. I can hear and identify certain sounds that different brands make.  Ford starter, old GM pushrod V6 starters, Northstar starters, any GM RWD 4-speed auto accelerating, any Panther accelerating, most older FWD Chrylsers coming to a stop... the list goes on and I'm sure you can identify those and some others too.

I can hear an insufficiently oiled Audi/VW Turbo-4 coming at me with my eyes closed. I can hear/feel an insufficiently oiled GM 1.4T/1.5T from inside the car.

This aren't even the high performance ones.... and for every well maintained WRX out there, there is another one with the body kit falling off and a dangling fart can. I think the exact same thing with happen with this new Toyota.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, David said:

Wonder if that Rock is still there? Probably not as I would think the weather would wear away the base by now. Very cool Pic, thanks for posting.

Yep, still there..saw the Garden of the Gods balanced rock many times when I lived about a mile from the park from '97-02...

Balanced-Rock-Colorado-Top-1600x800-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yep, still there..saw the Garden of the Gods balanced rock many times when I lived about a mile from the park from '97-02...

Balanced-Rock-Colorado-Top-1600x800-1.jpg

That is totally cool that it still survives Mother Nature wrath.

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Just my NA V8 in the Escalade and SS when it gets to 25% life and I use synthetic Mobil 1 the motors make a big change in sound, I can only imagine what a tiny 3-cylinder Turbo motor would sound like with dirty oil over clean and most now require synthetic due to tight tolerances. As such, the fact that this is a Toyota I have to go with my guy that half of these performance Toys are going to die young due to neglect. I rarely see people or hear people say they have read their owner guide and know the maintenance schedule.

We here at the Awesome Cheers and Gears are way beyond the norm for taking care of our autos.

^ It wasn't a 'doom' scenario then, however; once Edsel Ford passed and Ol' Henry took the tiller again ('43), it was clear he was past his prime / ability to doing so.  He retired a 2nd time in Sept of '45, so he wasn't heading up the company long that 2nd time.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, riviera74 said:

and Henry Ford II saved Ford from doom just after WWII and was a very good steward until at least the 1970s.

Henry Ford was controversial on quite a few levels.  The one thing I read about him and filed away is that if he was taking someone out to lunch as part of an interview and was considering hiring them, he didn't make them an offer if they didn't salt their food.  I found that ridiculous.  What does it matter if you salt your food or not?  (FTR, I don't add salt to my food when it gets to the table.)

Edited by trinacriabob

19 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Sounds like David is, ironically, afraid of new technology and assumes it will fail. 

You are too funny considering I am far more for new Tech, EVs than your assumption that it will fail.

Sadly, this pandemic has proven my point, HUMANS are the FAILURE POINT!

Way too many thinking they can survive without looking at what medical and science can do for a better quality of life.

This is true for Toyota, Honda, Etc. lemmings that think they can just drive the appliance and it will last for ever with minimal attention. 

You know ccap41 that I am speaking the truth as so many just drive till something breaks and with a smaller engine, Turbo'd with pressure, there is far less room for failure. Humans will drive it, abuse it and yes I expect these Turbo 3 Corollas to die young.

So with what Drew said, with the 25% oil life and being able to hear the engine(with the turbo cars), with you saying you hear THE SAME difference in your N/A V8, why the fear for this engine? 

You're assuming Average Joe and Jane are buying 40-50k Corollas and using them like any other vehicle. I don't see why you think the buyers of this wouldn't follow the proper oil change intervals yet you probably think the owners of 2.7T Silverados change their oil PROMPTLY at 25% oil life(5625 miles - 7500 mile interval - 25%). 

5 minutes ago, David said:

You are too funny considering I am far more for new Tech, EVs than your assumption that it will fail.

Also, this was a joke, hence the "ironically" thrown in there because you're obviously into new technology, yet think a small boosted engine will fail - as if they're not utilizing the most modern of engine/turbo/oil technologies. 

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

(FTR, I don't add salt to my food when it gets to the table.)

My mom would say this about me when gossiping to her Greek friends:

"He colours his food black and white with the amount of salt and pepper he adds"

I dont add salt to my food anymore though. Just a tad on an egg or a steak.  Pepper consumption has also gone down considerably but not gone like how salt has.    Funny how age alters ones habits... 

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

So with what Drew said, with the 25% oil life and being able to hear the engine(with the turbo cars), with you saying you hear THE SAME difference in your N/A V8, why the fear for this engine? 

You're assuming Average Joe and Jane are buying 40-50k Corollas and using them like any other vehicle. I don't see why you think the buyers of this wouldn't follow the proper oil change intervals yet you probably think the owners of 2.7T Silverados change their oil PROMPTLY at 25% oil life(5625 miles - 7500 mile interval - 25%). 

Also, this was a joke, hence the "ironically" thrown in there because you're obviously into new technology, yet think a small boosted engine will fail - as if they're not utilizing the most modern of engine/turbo/oil technologies. 

So far all the STI, WRX, TLX, GS, etc. that is allot of high priced auto's that I have seen abused as they get driven hard, put away wet and little to no maintenance love.

I also expect that there are just as many Turbo 4 bangers from GM that are abused as well. I will never be a fan of smaller engines, more turbo boost over a NA V6 or V8. Lucky ICE is coming to an end and eventually EV will be the dominate clean auto.

@trinacriabob @oldshurst442 Both of my grandma's always said, the table is NOT where one puts salt and pepper. The cook should be tasting the food and seasoning it appropriately so that you have maximum flavor when it hits the table.

People who salt there food especially before ever tasting it, are weird to me. Do they even have tastebuds?

7 minutes ago, David said:

and little to no maintenance love.

How do you know this? Are you in those Facebook groups or forums? Do you check various CarFaxes for ones for sale? 

Outside of the STi, I don't hear of any constant issues with any of the mentioned vehicles adding the Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST, Silverado 2.7T, and Civic Type R. Yes, every vehicle has its weak point but lubricating parts is VERY rarely one of them. 

Edited by ccap41

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

How do you know this? Are you in those Facebook groups or forums? Do you check various CarFaxes for ones for sale? 

Outside of the STi, I don't hear of any constant issues with any of the mentioned vehicles adding the Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST, Silverado 2.7T, and Civic Type R. Yes, every vehicle has its weak point but lubricating parts is VERY rarely one of them. 

Looking at multiple threads on poor auto maintenance and this is one common theme:

Engine oil – If the engine oil hasn’t been changed for at least 12,000 miles, the oil loses its lubrication benefits and becomes more of a watery substance causing internal friction. This internal friction means that the engine is slowly starting to self-destruct. Unfortunately, this is permanent damage which will drastically shorten the life of the engine.

To each their own, I still think what I think and you think what you think, so we can see how these auto's 5yrs down the road are holding up then.

27 minutes ago, David said:

Looking at multiple threads on poor auto maintenance and this is one common theme:

Engine oil – If the engine oil hasn’t been changed for at least 12,000 miles, the oil loses its lubrication benefits and becomes more of a watery substance causing internal friction. This internal friction means that the engine is slowly starting to self-destruct. Unfortunately, this is permanent damage which will drastically shorten the life of the engine.

To each their own, I still think what I think and you think what you think, so we can see how these auto's 5yrs down the road are holding up then.

But where is the proof that the list of vehicles you mentioned plus, let's add in other small boosted engines, like the ones I mentioned, that they're not being properly maintained? 

I don't recall you being so fearful of the Silverado 2.7T. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

But where is the proof that the list of vehicles you mentioned plus, let's add in other small boosted engines, like the ones I mentioned, that they're not being properly maintained? 

I don't recall you being so fearful of the Silverado 2.7T. 

Like all of us, this is based on my own observations, the amount of tiny boosted auto's that i see broke down and the poor condition of them after a few years.

The Silverado I would never own with a small boosted engine as we were talking small cars, not full size trucks and as you and so many already know, I will not be buying another ICE as BEV will be my next auto's to replace the current ICE I own.